Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,086 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria (70002 Views)

List Of Senators That Voted Against Electronic Transmission Of Results / Full List Of The 61 Senators That Endorsed Ahmed Lawan For Senate President / The 41 Senators That Lost Return Opportunity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by rhames(m): 4:54pm On Mar 13, 2020
ghettokid1:
1. Senator Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi - (APC, Niger North)
Sponsored Hate Speech Bill
2. Senator Mohammed Sani Mohammed - (APC, Niger East)
Sponsored Anti Social Media Bill
3. Senator Bima Enagi - (APC, Niger South) Sponsored Generator Ban Bill

Before any sensible and right-thinking person supports or opposes this bill, there are very important things to consider before even considering such a bill. There are good and bad politicians. There are those who leave us in awe of their actions, especially these clowns from a state that has produced two military heads of state and still influential in the scheme of how the country works. The economy of Nigeria will continue to depend on generators for a long time to come till we have at least twenty to twenty-four hours of uninterrupted electricity which is not even possible now or in the nearest future.

The biggest surprise is that the Generator Ban Bill was sponsored by a doctorate degree holder, has worked in two places, a consulting company in the Niger Delta and retired as a Director of the Prestigious Central Bank of Nigeria. He, of all people, who are supposed to educate people on the problems of the power sector and the NERC regulations on the generation of power, happens to be the antagonist of the same policy of whom he is a beneficiary. I believe he has a power generator at home, so the law should start with him irrespective of his immunity.

it also shows the level of intellectual capacity of people in power and how they want to bring their retrogressive thinking to bear on the citizens of Nigeria who already have much burden to bear with.

Let us look at the numbers now.

Power outages in Nigeria started in the early seventies when Nigerian industrial expansion started as a result of stagnant and non-expansion of power utilities and monopoly of National Electric Power Authority which was run by the government. Industries across the country started to import diesel generators for use in order to cater for demand for their products and services. Rich residents also bought generators and for most residents operating small businesses within their houses as at that time. By the 1980s, NEPA was inefficient to the extent that they could not carry out their duties. As a result of its monopoly and inefficiency, many industries went moribund and some simply left the shores of the country to other sister African nations where they could invest their monies without additional investments in power.

Subsequent administrations from the 1970s did not invest at all in power until the Obasanjo Administration thought of the initiative in 1999 and started investing in the power sector from under 2000 to 10000MW capacity which was the target. These were to supplement the existing Hydro Power which was our main supply to gas-powered turbines, which the present administration consolidated upon to complete the leftover projects. Though there has been near-constant supply, the current capacity is still not enough to catch up with the rate of industrial expansion and population explosion.

Building a power plant can be compared to building and completing a high rise building. It takes years to build, test and put to use. Using the analogy of the Dangote Refinery, which is under continuous expansion with the consideration of it being the largest refiner, it has taken more than eight years to get to this stage. \Industrialists don't wait for government. They make their own energy plans as part of larger corporate plans because they are private sector and profit-oriented. A power station doesn't start turning in a profit immediately but after five to seven years. Until after recovering its costs then the prices will fall. The case of the telecoms companies comes in point.

If the largest industries gulp the current 10000MW which is not even enough to take care of their needs, bandied about by these government officials, there will be nothing left for residential building and small and medium scale enterprises, who will consume twice the power because of the following demographics.

Small and medium scale industries are not concentrated in a specific area but scattered within and outside residential and non-residential and business districts and even rural areas. Some of their locations don't have access to the public power supply and that's another reason why they need generators to power. Not just generators, transformers and other electrical items.

Currently, small, medium and large scale industries will suffer if this outrageous Bill is passed because they are the largest employers of labor in the country and still growing despite harsh economic policies and an unfriendly operating environment. They are still keeping millions of Nigerians employed. How does the bill intend to give them power for their industries keeping in mind the bill will keep them from using a generator which the lawmakers want to criminalize? By criminalizing the use of generators, a lot of small scale industries will close up and lots of Nigerians especially the youth will lose their jobs. This will result in a sharp spike in criminal activities.

If I may ask, can anyone name a single economic or financial policy document sponsored, suggested or written by Dr. Enagi throughout his years as director of Central Bank Of Nigeria?

I am surprised that the former CBN director now turned senator and a doctorate degree holder who should be able to educate people on the under-capacity of the power sector to deliver rather than sponsoring a sentimental and non-feasible bill that will only regress the little economic progress made.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by VULCAN(m): 4:54pm On Mar 13, 2020
You started well but destroyed everything when you mentioned FFK.

Someone who travels with money from his bank acct is being mentioned then...

...Gen. Buhari that has spent millions of pounds of Nigeria's money for medicals is to be praised abi?

It's clear you are a Zombie.

COURRRRT!

slimfit1:
Generator bill is the only sensible one there. To develop we need to take drastic action taken otherwise 10years from now we will be having the same problem.
We have a few years before countries stop combustion engine production. European countries will stop producing generators. But the countries producing them don't use it. They are going to use the financial opportunity of these to weak our chances of developing our energy so that we keep depending on them.
We can spend money on other sources of energy like solar, there are intelligent Nigerians out there developing better cheap sources of energy we are not supporting. States are supposed to spend money on research and installation of solar in schools and hospitals. We should look at noise pollution and air pollution these generators cause and the health impacts in our lives.

FFK has money to fly to UK for care do we all have that NO. My argument might not make sense now but look at the future opportunity.
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by sulaak(m): 5:11pm On Mar 13, 2020
tutudesz:

This Senators can afford to equip their house with solar panels and inverter, Generator are for the middle and lower class now in Nigeria. Why can't he suggest a bill to jail power generating, distribution companies? Why not ban importation of pumping machines too!

The Middle and lower class should be on the street demanding 24/7 electricity and not adapting to the bad practice of using polluting generator in 2020. Nigeria is blessed with Solar, Wind, Hydro and Gas, we export LNG to countries that can provide 24/7 electricity to their people. The bill will force Nigerian to demand more from their useless politician instead of accepting the status quo.
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by daziz1: 5:13pm On Mar 13, 2020
They aren't talking about bandits disturbing part of shiroro local government, they are talking about generator bill.
Maybe the the three hydroelectric dams and the on going one in zungeru is what is clouding their thinking faculty
This country is a joke
Most quiet and boring state I've ever seen
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by tutudesz: 5:23pm On Mar 13, 2020
sulaak:

The Middle and lower class should be on the street demanding 24/7 electricity and not adapting to the bad practice of using polluting generator in 2020. Nigeria is blessed with Solar, Wind, Hydro and Gas, we export LNG to countries that can provide 24/7 electricity to their people. The bill will force Nigerian to demand more from their useless politician instead of accepting the status quo.

Seriously who benefit for poor power supply in Nigeria? Middle and lower Class Nigerians have been demanding for prepaid meters for years now but Rich class and Senators are getting it installed in their houses everyday.
So Middle and lower class will stay without light while repairs are ongoing on the power plants?
Which of this bill is more important now, a bill to banned importation of generators or a bill to improve power generation and distribution?
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by dinggle: 5:48pm On Mar 13, 2020
Generator bill makes no sense ....WHY?
1. If you are going to criminalize people who already have it....that an over reach.
2. When govt put in place approval to have a gen, you know its another level for corruption because you wont be approved if you dont pay heavy bribe.
3. No buy back system in place. Just like buy back for guns...put a buy back program in all local govt where ppl can voluntarily sell to govt and govt can export to countries where it is needed.. e.g Niger Rep. Ghana, Liberia the list goes on.
4. Taking food away from generator mechanics...how do they feed their family? Boko haram recruitment to the rescue.
5. Kills ingenuity what happen to the gifted who want to produce generators? America and china have 24hrs light but still manufactures gen set.
6. There are villages where there are no eletrification what about them?
7. How do welders work on building sites?
8. What about barbers, hair stylist and taylor?
9. Those who produce ice-blocks for sale in weddings and parties will be thrown out of business.

Half baked lawless leaders passing laws to destroy the individual creativity we have.
To allow states produce their own power, and then the Niger senator can ban generators in Niger state.

The proper move should have been to ban importation of fully built gen sets for 10yrs, while general selling ban will be pending improvement in electrification. Govt has no right to ban end users who invested in gen because of the failures of same govt.
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Romanoff(f): 5:55pm On Mar 13, 2020
Chuzoetoh:
I am not intellectual I agree but I rather not type like a zombie, Mrs Intellectual

Now we understand that you're incapable of intellectual discourse.
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by chozzy: 6:10pm On Mar 13, 2020
Useless Senators
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by yeman1(m): 6:15pm On Mar 13, 2020
Why am I a Nigerian??

I wish I could even come from Ghana sef
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Chuzoetoh(m): 6:18pm On Mar 13, 2020
Romanoff:

Now we understand that you're incapable of intellectual discourse.
if we start talking about intellectual capacity, I don't think you can dissect n analyze proper conversation but pls stop being a zombie n reason well k?
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Theoarhics: 6:30pm On Mar 13, 2020
It's therefore right to say that Niger State are notorious for producing toxic and senseless senators these period.
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:33pm On Mar 13, 2020
I pity Niger state with the kind of brains they elect into offices.
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 13, 2020
Romanoff:
I support the generator bill.

If you're not going to be sensible enough to ask me why instead of insulting me, don't bother mentioning me.
Why?
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Boxer007(m): 6:36pm On Mar 13, 2020
Modikko:
Enjoy your gay life in peace and leave me out of your wahala. Bye Bye

Brother,calm down. 30 seconds with me & u will turn gay. Brother Please do u have tick lips?
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Romanoff(f): 6:38pm On Mar 13, 2020
Chuzoetoh:
if we start talking about intellectual capacity, I don't think you can dissect n analyze proper conversation but pls stop being a zombie n reason well k?

Na them o.
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Chuzoetoh(m): 6:40pm On Mar 13, 2020
Romanoff:

Na them o.
smiles, dis gal you won't stop being funny
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by slimfit1(m): 6:41pm On Mar 13, 2020
VULCAN:
You started well but destroyed everything when you mentioned FFK.

Someone who travels with money from his bank acct is being mentioned then...

...Gen. Buhari that has spent millions of pounds of Nigeria's money for medicals is to be praised abi?

It's clear you are a Zombie.

COURRRRT!

Which bank account right I see I don't want to go there today.
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Modikko(m): 6:54pm On Mar 13, 2020
Bleep you and go to hell.
Boxer007:

Brother,calm down. 30 seconds with me & u will turn gay. Brother Please do u have tick lips?
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Daddi: 6:55pm On Mar 13, 2020
puregrace:
Niger people!!! I can see some people are supporting generator ban bill
No need to ban generator selling/buying,give us stable power and generator will not sell again. It's that simple.
Even Dangote would not be happy buying fuel to fuel generators in his factories.
I wish I can choose my country easily
Absolutely. End time senators
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by BigIyanga: 7:16pm On Mar 13, 2020
slimfit1:
Generator bill is the only sensible one there. To develop we need to take drastic action taken otherwise 10years from now we will be having the same problem.
We have a few years before countries stop combustion engine production. European countries will stop producing generators. But the countries producing them don't use it. They are going to use the financial opportunity of these to weak our chances of developing our energy so that we keep depending on them.
We can spend money on other sources of energy like solar, there are intelligent Nigerians out there developing better cheap sources of energy we are not supporting. States are supposed to spend money on research and installation of solar in schools and hospitals. We should look at noise pollution and air pollution these generators cause and the health impacts in our lives.

FFK has money to fly to UK for care do we all have that NO. My argument might not make sense now but look at the future opportunity.
Stupidest arguement ever. Fortune 500 companies like CAT and Cummins still make $bns selling generators. Hold politrickians that budget $$bn for power every year and siphon it... not business men. Can we also ban travelling overrseas for medical treatment?
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by akan102: 7:18pm On Mar 13, 2020
Romanoff:
I support the generator bill.

If you're not going to be sensible enough to ask me why instead of insulting me, don't bother mentioning me.

WHY?
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by jude33084(m): 7:19pm On Mar 13, 2020
bunch of fooo oooo oooo ooLs angry
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Legendguru: 7:30pm On Mar 13, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Boxer007(m): 7:57pm On Mar 13, 2020
Modikko:
Bleep you and go to hell.

Baby calm down. Bro are you really shy to be gay? I can help you
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by trutht828: 8:04pm On Mar 13, 2020
slimfit1:

Oga, if there is constant power supply, generator sales will go down.
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Peters95: 8:22pm On Mar 13, 2020
coolit will be nice if they all visit a psychiatric hospital.
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Tchiman(m): 8:31pm On Mar 13, 2020
I don't think there should even be a need to ban generator importation or usage....

What the government needs to do is to give/guarantee a steady power supply and the generators will die a natural death.....it is that simple!!
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by Abdul9025(m): 8:34pm On Mar 13, 2020
leksy07:

Let me guess, u ar from kogi
lols... you guess right
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by andrejeff: 8:34pm On Mar 13, 2020
ALL APC
ALL NIGER STATE
There should be a compulsory mental and brain test for all senators especially APC northern senators
Re: Senators That Sponsored Three Controversial Bills In Nigeria by enemyofprogress: 8:52pm On Mar 13, 2020
Modikko:
And you that is from a useful region what have you achieved?
Useless people from very useless region. Slowing down all other regions in Nigeria because of their fokn backwardness

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Yusuf Buhari And Zahra Wedding Reception Venue (Video) / Photos Of Funny Looks In Today Reflection Of Apc Decides / Boko Haram: Shekau Ready To Surrender - Military Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.