Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. (94451 Views)

Humility: Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed Kneels To Greet The President Of Nigeria, BAT / Oshiomhole Accident In Benin: The Damaged SUV Conveying Ex Governor / Obasanjo Kneels To Greet The Next Governor Of Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 5:50pm On Mar 31, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]Do you know why u sound foolish even though u can write well?

It’s because the only proof you have of Ife being great is because it was regarded as great lol. So that’s how you will answer an exam question?
One sentence citation is all you can provide.
Even mythical Oyo empire’s greatness was not described in one sentence or citation.

Tao you cannot change history, the best u can do is to deceive yourself.
The unending truth is historically Ijebu was a hamlet, Ife a village..[/s]

... regarded as great by the earliest known written historical account of the West Africa region in as early as the 1300s.

An early account which discusses the greatest kingdoms of the region, to the exclusion of hamlets of the time like newly established Benin.

Still waiting on one shred of evidence with which you will substantiate your fantasy on Ijebu and Ife.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 5:57pm On Mar 31, 2020
Erediauwa:
angry

Lol!
Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 31, 2020
TAO11:

Lol!
Becareful.... I am reading everything you're typing here.... Don't let me consult Ayelala.
Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 6:09pm On Mar 31, 2020
Erediauwa:
Becareful.... I am reading everything you're typing here.... Don't let me consult Ayelala.

Please don't!

Oya I will stop saying the truth. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by davidnazee: 6:10pm On Mar 31, 2020
TAO11:

... regarded as great by the earliest known written historical account of the West Africa region in as early as the 1300.

An early account which discusses the greatest kingdoms of the region, to the exclusion of hamlets of the time like newly established Benin.

Still waiting on one shred of evidence with you will sunstantiate you fantasy on Ijebu and Ife.

What is there to fantasize about Ife or Ijebu? Even you is there anything u can fantasize about those villages? Is there any historical accounts about them that will thrill you?

Ijebu is a hamlet and Ife was a village.. only thing Ife have is Ifa..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by Nobody: 6:20pm On Mar 31, 2020
TAO11:

Please don't!

grin
Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 31, 2020
TAO11:

Please don't!

grin grin grin omo this one weak me ooo

2 Likes

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 6:40pm On Mar 31, 2020
davidnazee:

What is there to fantasize about Ife or Ijebu? Even you is there anything u can fantasize about those villages? Is there any historical accounts about them that will thrill you?

Ijebu is a hamlet and Ife was a village.. only thing Ife have is Ifa..

Gosh! Firstly, it was reading problem, after that, it was communication problem, and now it's comprehension problem. Your problems seem endless.

How could my use of the word "fantasy" (in the context of our exchange here) ever depict the imagery of "to love", "to cherish", or "to admire" which you've painted above?

Anyways, the English word "fantasy" basically means:

"The power or process of creating especially
 unrealistic or improbable mental images in 
response to psychological need."

--- Merriam Webster Dictionary.

Moreover, I obviously love, cherish, and admire all the ancient Yoruba civilizations, if you really care to know.

Furthermore, provide your evidence for your claims on Ife and Ijebu, or continue weeping sorrowfuly.

Lastly, even Ifa did not originate in such absolute sense from Ife.

Will you not get one thing right?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by davidnazee: 8:25pm On Mar 31, 2020
TAO11:

Gosh! Firstly, it was reading problem, after that, it was communication problem, and now it's comprehension problem. Your problems seem endless.

How could my use of the word "fantasy" (in the context of our exchange here) ever depict the imagery of "to love", "to cherish", or "to admire" which you've painted above?

Anyways, the English word "fantasy" basically means:

"The power or process of creating especially
 unrealistic or improbable mental images in 
response to psychological need."

--- Merriam Webster Dictionary.

Moreover, I obviously love, cherish, and admire all the ancient Yoruba civilizations, if you really care to know.

Furthermore, provide your evidence for your claims on Ife and Ijebu, or continue weeping sorrowfuly.

Lastly, even Ifa did not originate in such absolute sense from Ife.

Will you not get one thing right?

How does saying Ife have Ifa means Ifa originated from Ife?

And which fantasy are you talking about? Read your statement below again:

“Still waiting on one shred of evidence with you will sunstantiate you fantasy on Ijebu and Ife”.

You can’t even be calm and compose a proper sentence.. is it because I said Ijebu and Ife are not great Kingdom/empire that is making u lose your senses ?
You are indeed dumb.
Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 9:03pm On Mar 31, 2020
davidnazee:

(1) How does saying Ife have Ifa means Ifa originated from Ife?

(2) And which fantasy are you talking about? Read your statement below again:

“Still waiting on one shred of evidence with you will sunstantiate you fantasy on Ijebu and Ife”.

(3) You can’t even be calm and compose a proper sentence.. is it because I said Ijebu and Ife are not great Kingdom/empire that is making u lose your senses ?
You are indeed dumb.

(1) Lol! Your damage control attempt in respect of Ifa is unfortunately ineffectual.

Your replies lately are reminiscent of the proverbial drowning man clutching at straws.

Anyways, to waste your damage control effort and magnify your bungle:

Your use of exclusivity (i.e. "only" ) in the context of your fantasy that nothing novel came out of Ife makes it palpably perceptible that you ignorantly asserted Ife as the origin of Ifa --- the "only thing Ife have [sic]" in your imagination. grin

(2) Regarding which fantasy, I promise I now understand your confusion here since you have many fantasies.

But your specific fantasy I refer to here is your fantasy that the ancient great Ife and Ijebu kingdoms were mere villages.

You are yet to provide even a shred of evidence for this fantasy.

[Here I'm assuming you've now understood what the English word "fantasy" means].

(3) If what you alluded to as non-proper sentence is my oversight of "which", and my misspelling of "substantiate" in your quotation above (which has long being fixed even before your comment), then no thanks to you even for being my unsolicited secretary. I never appointed you!

Moreover, didn't you more than once applaud me using the phrase "good at ... putting words together", and the phrase "can write well"?

Yet in the same breath bigotry made you contradict yourself on what is obviously explainable as oversight or typo.

Anyways if you had a better argument on history which is the subject here, you wouldn't have clung strongly to inconsequent trivialities.

You are obviously gradually seeing the light, and I know change takes time.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by davidnazee: 9:16pm On Mar 31, 2020
TAO11:

(1) Lol! Your damage control attempt in respect of Ifa is unfortunately ineffectual.

Your replies lately is reminiscent of the proverbial drowning man clutching at straws.

Anyways, to waste your damage control effort and magnify your bungle:

Your use of exclusivity (i.e. "only" ) in the context of your fantasy that nothing novel came out of Ife makes it palpably perceptible that you ignorantly asserted Ife as the origin of Ifa --- the "only thing Ife have [sic]" in your imagination. grin

(2) Regarding which fantasy, I promise I now understand your confusion here since you have many fantasies.

But your specific fantasy I refer to here is your fantasy that the ancient great Ife and Ijebu kingdoms were mere villages.

You are yet to provide even a shred of evidence for this fantasy.

[Here I'm assuming you've now understood what the English word "fantasy" means].

(3) If what you alluded to as non-proper sentence is my oversight of "which", and misspelling of "substantiate" which hasld long being fixed even before your comment, then no thanks to you even as my unofficial secretary. I never appointed you.

Moreover, didn't you more than once applaud me using the phrase "good at" "putting words together", and the phrase "writes well"?

Yet in the same breath bigotry made you contradict yourself on what is obviously explainable as oversight or typo.

Anyways if you had a better argument on history which is the subject here, you wouldn't have clung strongly to inconsequent trivialities.

You are obviously gradually seeing the light, and I know change takes time.

You don’t make any sense.. your character is like that of a child just learning how to walk. this your foolish theatrics still doesn’t explain why you say Ijebu was a great Kingdom and Ife an empire..
those places were historically little villages with Ife bigger than Ijebu..

If u like continue to go crazy and write your long nonsense.. it’s just your way of escaping the truth that you have nothing interesting to say about those little villages.

1 Like

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 9:40pm On Mar 31, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]You don’t make any sense.. your character is like that of a child just learning how to walk. this your foolish theatrics still doesn’t explain why you say Ijebu was a great Kingdom and Ife an empire..
those places were historically little villages with Ife bigger than Ijebu..

If u like continue to go crazy and write your long nonsense.. it’s just your way of escaping the truth that you have nothing interesting to say about those little villages.[/s]

What is this claim of mine which you want me to prove so badly?

Where and when did I make the supposedly unsubstantiated claim in the course of my exchange with you here?

Answer these two foregoing questions with evidence, and I will retract every single argument I have ever put forward on Nairaland. Cool deal? grin

On the other hand it is you who must provide evidence to substantiate your imaginative claims on the otherwise great ancient kingdoms of Ife and Ijebu.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by lx3as(m): 10:29pm On Mar 31, 2020
Actually, there was nothing
like Bini empire but Yoruba Oba's Bini
Kingdom.

Only four empires existed in West Africa:
Ghana, Mali, Songhai and Oyo.

Then we had Ife, Bini, Ijebu etc. as kingdoms...
Although it's believed that Oyo empire was a continuum of Yoruba states which Ìfẹ represented earlier; even the Bini Kingdom emerged from Ìfẹ in virtually everything: Arts, culture, religion, etc.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-worldhistory/chapter/west-african-
empires/

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Oyo_Empire

https://seunfakze./2012/02/19/the-oyo-empire-by-prof-george-ayittey/

http://www.fsmitha.com/h3/h28af3-4.htm

http://www.tubmaninstitute.ca/sites/default/files/file/LAW_Oyo_texts.pdf

3 Likes

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 11:29pm On Mar 31, 2020
lx3as:
Kingdom.

Ghana, Mali, Songhai and oyo.

empires/

Cool stuff! But not absolute in its accuracy though.

We have to be careful where we get our information from.

An information is NOT error-free/redoubtable SIMPLY because it exists in digital form and found on the WWW.

No, what matters is the repute and authority of its references.

And when I checked the references for the piece at the link, I found ... guess what! ... "Wikipedia" and "Wikimeda".

It's no secret that such "references" are generally impotent in an academic discourse, and are almost always spurious.

On the other hand, Ife is one of the earliest empires (if not the earliest) of the Soudan, introducing monarchy institution to several peoples of the West Africa forest, including Igodomigodo and a considerable region of Modern Ghana!

To get a clearer picture, one may want to first have a basic appreciation of what an empire is:

"An empire is a major political unit having a territory of great extent or a number of territories or people under a single sovereign authority."

--- Merriam-Webster.

The earliest known documentation on the West Africa region is Ibn Battûta's 1352 "Voyages to Asia and Africa" wherein he used specifically matching descriptions of what is termed "Empire" in Europe.

In relation to Ife, he refers to it using the term "country". That is --- an extensive political territory comprising a number of units or states.

He also notes its monarch as not simply "king", but also as a "sovereign". That is, one possessing supreme political power.

He describes this "sovereign" as "one of the greatest kings" "of the Soudan."

And he describes this country's defence as impenetrable even by the "white man".

These descriptions of Ife was of a time when Ife was at its apogee, that is --- between the 12th to the 15th centuries.

A time, most of when, Oyo and Benin were not even yet born as organized kingdoms.

A time when Ife's influence "spanned eastward to the Niger River and westward to what is today southern Togo."

A time when Ife's commercial power extends far beyond to "as far away as Ghana, Mali and Mauritania."

Ife, ibi ojumo tii mo wa!
Ife, where the daylight shines forth from! (lit.).
Ife, where civilization proceeds from! (functional)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by lx3as(m): 5:37am On Apr 01, 2020
TAO11:

Cool stuff! But not absolute in its accuracy though.

We have to be careful where we get our information from.

An information is NOT error-free/redoubtable SIMPLY because it exists in digital form and found on the WWW.

No, what matters is the repute and authority of its references.

And when I checked the references for the piece at the link, I found ... guess what! ... "Wikipedia" and "Wikimeda".

It's no secret that such "references" are generally impotent in an academic discourse, and are almost always spurious.

On the other hand, Ife is one of the earliest empires (if not the earliest) of the Soudan, introducing monarchy institution to several peoples of the West Africa forest, including Igodomigodo and a considerable region of Modern Ghana!

To get a clearer picture, one may want to first have a basic appreciation of what an empire is:

"An empire is a major political unit having a territory of great extent or a number of territories or people under a single sovereign authority."

--- Merriam-Webster.

The earliest known documentation on the West Africa region is Ibn Battûta's 1352 "Voyages to Asia and Africa" wherein he used specifically matching descriptions of what is termed "Empire" in Europe.

In relation to Ife, he refers to it using the term "country". That is --- an extensive political territory comprising a number of units or states.

He also notes its monarch as not simply "king", but also as a "sovereign". That is, one possessing supreme political power.

He describes this "sovereign" as "one of the greatest kings" "of the Soudan."

And he describes this country's defence as impenetrable even by the "white man".

These descriptions of Ife was of a time when Ife was at its apogee, that is --- between the 12th to the 15th centuries.

A time, most of when, Oyo and Benin were not even yet born as organized kingdoms.

A time when Ife's influence "spanned eastward to the Niger River and westward to what is today southern Togo."

A time when Ife's commercial power extends far beyond to "as far away as Ghana Mali and Mauritania."

Ife, ibi ojumo tii mo wa!
Ife, where the daylight shines forth from! (lit.).
Ife, where civilization proceeds from! (functional)

You are right. However some historians believe that Oyo was a procession from Ìfẹ's Yorubas States, even Bini, I don't really know why they didn't want to call it an empire but state. We actually missed some narratives about Ìfẹ, Ewe, Ga, etc. people to the West believe strongly in their Ìfẹ origin(but we can only recall little history of when the Ìfẹ people in Benin Republic and Togo left). Also when you look at how Oranmiyan became ruler of Igodomigodo, it might even have been through conquest.

Ìfẹ Is very ancient and there seems to be some mixed up in the oral traditions (ancient Oduduwa, Obatala history with the the later immigration history; some great men actually took the name Oduduwa, Oranmiyan, Ogun, Sango, etc. after the original ones); a lot of Ìfẹ history is yet to be unearthed. Till today, the white scholars still marvel at how those refined Ìfẹ heads found in the 30s were made by Africans between 11th and 14th centuries (many stone, terracotta works/arts with steel nails were even made earlier). Some were even found during the digging of house foundations. We actually know little about Ìfẹ greatness, the extent of its expansion yet. It experienced many civilizations before it's golden age at the beginning of second millennium.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 10:12am On Apr 01, 2020
lx3as:

You are right. However some historians believe that Oyo was a procession from Ìfẹ's Yorubas States, even Bini, I don't really know why they didn't want to call it an empire but state. We actually missed some narratives about Ìfẹ, Ewe, Ga, etc. people to the West believe strongly in their Ìfẹ origin(but we can only recall little history of when the Ìfẹ people in Benin Republic and Togo left). Also when you look at how Oranmiyan became ruler of Igodomigodo, it might even have been through conquest.

Ìfẹ Is very ancient and there seems to be some mixed up in the oral traditions (ancient Oduduwa, Obatala history with the the later immigration history; some great men actually took the name Oduduwa, Oranmiyan, Ogun, Sango, etc. after the original ones); a lot of Ìfẹ history is yet to be unearthed. Till today, the white scholars still marvel at how those refined Ìfẹ heads found in the 30s were made by Africans between 11th and 14th centuries (many stone, terracotta works/arts with steel nails were even made earlier). Some were even found during the digging of house foundation. We actually know little about Ìfẹ greatness, the extent of its expansion yet. It experienced many civilization before it's golden age at the end of first millennium.

I appreciate your complement and your knowledge bro. And you are also very correct. Empires rise and fall for a variety of reasons throughout the world.

Ife had its golden age which is actually still been reconstructed by experts till date through overwhelming archaeological unearthing of its wealth of ancient unmatched arts, of its ancient city-walls, of its glass manufacturing sites, of its iron manufacturing (not merely black-smithing oo) sites, its dichroic glass beads manufacturing sites, amongst many others.

It is not yet entirely clear to historians what led to the decline of ancient Ife, unlike it is quite clear what led to the fall of latter powers like Benin and Oyo which the European imperialists witnessed.

But one thing which remains quite clear to experts is that the extent of influence of these latter powers (Benin and Oyo) even at their height remains dwarfed by (and incomprable to) the extent of influence of the older power (Ife) at its height.

Also, it is clear to experts that the decline of Ife was a precursor to the gradual emergence of the new kingdoms. The yet inexplicable quite sudden decline of the former almost intersects the gradual rise of the latters.

Thus did ancient Ife become a shadow of its former golden self, and became remembered among common folks in the West Africa forest almost only for its spiritual ascendancy and ritual primacy, except in academia where it is properly and fully discussed as a prime theocratic monarchy.

Ife then only became, among Yorubas far and wide, a place to be feared and regarded with awe. A place of great mystery. A city of both the living and the dead. A place of risk. A place where anything is possible.

This connects to a short story; shared by Professor S. P. Blier in her "Art and Risk in Ancient Yoruba: Ife History, Power, and Identity, c. 1300"; that early in her career while doing some research from Benin Republic, she asked a diviner there about the best route to Ile-Ife.

She noted the reaction from the diviner in the following words: "His forehead beaded with concern and his eyes narrowed". The diviner was noted to have replied her saying: "No one who goes there comes back to tell about it."

Such is an example of the superstitious remains from the fears Ife had triggered at its height among diverse people in the west Africa forest.

Ife came to be remembered as the place where God himself lives (in human form). This is at least how the Binis continue to regard it even until the reign of some post-colonial Benin Obas.

A documentation by Ward-Price during his visit to Oba Eweka II speaks of a daily devotion of this Oba who prays every dawn facing a direction he believes to be Ife; praying first for the "Oghene" ("Ooni of Ife" ), then the Alaafin, before himself, and then other Yoruba monarchs.

Regarding why it's often not spelt out in most modern writings with the word "empire", well that's largely due to an early Eurocentric bias which other later writers simply inherited from earlier ones.

The Europeans' coming to the west coast of Africa was at a time when Ife was just hitting rock bottom. Although some of its glory had been documented by Ibn Battûta, but that's just another non-European. Lol.

So, to the Europeans, an empire is that which they documented --- perhaps from their own eye-witness account --- to be such. Not that which was documented merely by some inconsequential less human to be such. Lol.

For an academic discourse on the Oduduwa and Obatala accounts you may refer to my comment here if you haven't already:

https://www.nairaland.com/5738539/benin-governor-kneels-greet-king/14#87905826

Cheers!

cc: macof DonCandido nisai Amujale gomojam Sewgon79

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by Amujale(m): 7:37pm On Apr 01, 2020
Obatala is a God.

As in, Obatala is the mortal wise king who is the embodiment of the premodial God also known as Obatala.

Oduduwa is a local emissary that originated from within Yorubaland to become Emperor, the King of Kings.
Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by Amujale(m): 7:54pm On Apr 01, 2020
Whenever you hear the title 'King of Kings', let our energy connect with the Emperor Oduduwa Omoluabi 'Jigbinni B'ate kun' and not all the fakers similar to Tukulti-Ninurta (I), Darius (I), Xerxes e.t.c

1 Like

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by Sewgon79(m): 8:36am On Apr 03, 2020
lx3as:
Kingdom.

Ghana, Mali, Songhai and Oyo.

Although it's believed that Oyo empire was a continuum of Yoruba states which Ìfẹ represented earlier; even the Bini Kingdom emerged from Ìfẹ in virtually everything: Arts, culture, religion, etc.

empires/

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Oyo_Empire

https://seunfakze./2012/02/19/the-oyo-empire-by-prof-george-ayittey/

http://www.fsmitha.com/h3/h28af3-4.htm

http://www.tubmaninstitute.ca/sites/default/files/file/LAW_Oyo_texts.pdf

Thank you very much bros. You are a good student of history. But yet still IFE is greater than all.

Ibi tí ó jù mọ tí ń mọ. Ìfẹ́ ó dáyé

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 1:52pm On Apr 03, 2020
Sewgon79:

Thank you very much bros. You are a good student of history. But yet still IFE is greater than all.

Ibi tí ó jù mọ tí ń mọ. Ìfẹ́ ó dáyé

Awesome!

Wondering if I should tag you in on the other thread.

It features a very interesting exchange:

(1) On the ancient Binis regarding the Ooni of Ife as God Almighty in human flesh.

(2) And on the traditional rite of burying the heads of late Obas of Benin in Ife at a site called Orun Oba ADO.

At the moment, the Binis on that thread have absolutely nothing more to say in reply to the overwhelming evidence I have submitted on point (1). They've shut up on that!

For point (2), even though I haven't submitted the evidence yet, they've smelt the rat --- based on the lines of my argument --- and they've unilaterally ran away (without permission) from that point, lest I submit the evidence which obviously will turn out disgraceful for them.

I will nevertheless put forward the evidence and seal their disgrace just like in point (1).

Let me know if I should tag you in.

Cheers!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by Sewgon79(m): 3:42pm On Apr 03, 2020
TAO11:

Awesome!

Wondering if I should tag you in on the other thread.

It features a very interesting exchange:

(1) On the ancient Binis regarding the Ooni of Ife as God Almighty in human flesh.

(2) And on the traditional rite of burying the heads of late Obas of Benin in Ife at a site called Orun Oba ADO.

At the moment, the Binis on that thread have absolutely nothing more to say in reply to the overwhelming evidence I have submitted on point (1). They've shut up on that!

For point (2), even though I haven't submitted the evidence yet, they've smelt the rat --- based on the lines of my argument --- and they've unilaterally ran away (without permission) from that point lest I submit the evidence which obviously will turn out disgraceful for them.

I will nevertheless put forward the evidence and seal their disgrace just like in point (1).

Let me know if I should tag you in.

Cheers!

Good TAO11

I have been following all your wonderful write-up and very explanatory arguments you have made so far. I guess some of things you mentioned that I am just aware of.

It is wonderful having you on board.

Please do tag me. I will like to have those evidence for my family future records.

2 Likes

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 3:50pm On Apr 03, 2020
Sewgon79:

Good TAO11

I have been following all your wonderful write-up and very explanatory arguments you have made so far. I guess some of things you mentioned that I am just aware of.

It is wonderful having you on board.

Please do tag me. I will like to have those evidence for my family future records.

Cool! And I appreciate the complement.

You may follow this link to see the discussion so far to the last page:

https://www.nairaland.com/5713629/main-reasons-yoruba-not-enlisted/10#87962019

I will seal the Orun Oba Ado argument with historical evidence later today.

I'm currently giving them more time --- since yesterday --- to respond to my argument on it so far.

Cheers!
Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by AreaFada2: 8:35pm On Apr 03, 2020
These people's obsession with Benin nor be here o.

Chai! Why dem carry the matter for head like Gala?

So people with even half a brain cannot reason that in 1937, Benin monarchy had just been restored 23 years earlier, with British avowed intent to reduce Benin influence?

Did they expect the quasi enemy Britain in 1937 to put Oba of Benin ahead of pliable Obas of SW who offered no resistance (aside Awujale/Ijebu a bit)?

So they are not aware that British game to use majority tribes to run Nigeria started decades before this?
Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 8:59pm On Apr 03, 2020
AreaFada2:
[s]These people's obsession with Benin nor be here o.

Chai! Why dem carry the matter for head like Gala?

So people with even half a brain cannot reason that in 1937, Benin monarchy had just been restored 23 years earlier, with British avowed intent to reduce Benin influence?

Did they expect the quasi enemy Britain in 1937 to put Oba of Benin ahead of pliable Obas of SW who offered no resistance (aside Awujale/Ijebu a bit)?

So they are not aware that British game to use majority tribes to run Nigeria started decades before this?[/s]

Yen! yen!! yen!!!

Speculations and feel good imaginations are unacceptable here.

Here, we deal in historical facts backed with evidence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by perryy(m): 5:59pm On Apr 05, 2020
HAKYN1:

Oranmiyan left Benin for Oyo after establishing Ile Ibinu, that is Oba of Benin is a son to Alaafin

Oranmiyan never really stepped a foot into the land that is now called Benin (Ile Ibinu). Oranmiyan was camped at Use a village far away from Benin where his palace still stands till date.

Igodomigodo (Benin ) was already organised before Oranmiyan came into the picture. During the intergnum of about 120 years , a certain man called Evian killed the leopard that was killing the people every market day. Because of his bravery, a lot of people held him in high esteem, he became the national leader of igodomigodo kingdom, just like the national leader of the APC- mere honourary, without portfolio. That was how it was. Unfortunately, when the man was about to die he made attempt to make his son his successor and the noble resisted because he position was not a royal hence un-inheritable. But somehow , some people sided with him and he constituted a very unpopular king in igodomigodo without crown. However, the nobles who were not in support of the abominable act set up a parallel government at Use and used the son of a real oba to head their government. That was how oranmiyan was brought in. Though Oranmiyan was at Use, he was never called the oba of Use but rather the oba of igodomigodo (Benin) even though he didn't step his foot into Benin. Igodomigodo people were flocking the palace of the true king , along the line, they brought up issue for him to settle. As those things were happening, oranmiyan observed one trend among the people- anger (Ibinu) , so after like three months , Oranmiyan called the elders and told them he cannot leave Ile Ife to be a king in Ile Ibinu (Benin) . From then on, that was the name oranmiyan people especially those he left behind at Use used to describe their camp in Use. When oranmiyan left , there was nobody to take up the position because the noble wouldn't accept anyone except someone from a given royal family whom they believed was the authentic heir to the throne but was somehow denied. Meanwhile, before oranmiyan left , he got the daughter of the king of Egor pregnant who later gave birth to a son whom most Benin regarded as the first oba of Benin being that he was the first oba to rule the kingdom and handed over the throne to his son. That was Oba Eweka the 1st. However, like his father , he never stepped a foot into igodomigodo land. He was oba of Ile Ibinu ( a temporary town set up by the igodomigodo nobles in a foreign land where they operate their parallel government) . Remember, their parallel government won't be in exile forever. Their aim was always to return home one day when they are sure of being able to subdue the obstacles at home. And this feat happened during the reign of Oba Ewedo the grand son of oranmiyan. Ewedo marched into igodomigodo and stationed his palace at Ogbe a land that even belong to the family of the fake government at home . So a bloody war erupted among brothers and during the process, Ogiamien Erebor the impostor was beheaded and a truce was reached . From truce to a treaty, the popular Ekiokpagha treaty. While the Ogiamien family recognised the oba as the authentic king of igodomigodo, and being that it is a taboo to evacuate a king from his palace, and to make the Ogiamien side feel good on the no Victor no vanquished ended civil war the oba was made to pay eternal rent to Ogiamien family for the land the oba took from them by force. From then , if became a practice that any oba to rule Benin must rent the land his was built from the Ogiamien family. Oba do pay rent at every coronation. So when Oba Ewedo finally settled and became the unified king of both Ile Ibinu and igodomigodo he decided to change the name and he renamed the place Ubini ( land of plenty) which the Portuguese corrupted to Benin. That was how oranmiyan set up Benin oooo. He never really set his foot into where is now called Benin oooo.
Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by perryy(m): 6:24pm On Apr 05, 2020
Sewgon79:

But in history Benin Monarch was once dethrone by British colonialism and the same British colonial pay a lot of money by killing cows when inviting OONIRISA OF IFE to come out of his domain to settle a dispute in Lagos. According to history, he kill cows in every river that Ooni cross and also provide aircraft to passage Oonirisa through the journey. Read your history very well.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah. I wish they had anything they would lead to a confrontation between the Queen and the Ooni. The time they killed cow for Ooni was the time Nigeria was already established. Ife was not a threat to the British like the Benin who frustrated them from reaching the Niger Delta forests full of wealth . Ooni never made attempt to block the British march. There was nothing in Ife and it's environs then to even attract the Queen. Don't compare war time to friendly time oooo. Before the war, the British used to respect the oba, the queen uses to send gifts every now and then to the extent the Benin believed the oba owns the land to England since , in their assertion, the British queen was paying homage with all the gifts. The Benin only came to realise what the British are when the war broke out. 4 British trained black soldiers would defeated Ife in two hours.
Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by LegendHero(m): 3:40am On Apr 10, 2020
TAO11:

First of all, the British engaged in what historians called a punitive expedition (assuming now that you understand how this term contrasts with actual warfare between contenders). grin

History books call it The Benin Massacre for a reason (assuming now that you understand what the term massacre means).

So, stop lying to yourself (and yet believing it) that Benin contended in warfare with the British troops.

No! It was as the case of IPOB being on the verge of extermination, and at the mercy of The Nigerian Army.

Benin was at the time being "punished" for its attrocities committed against some non-combatant representatives of the British.

The Oba had learnt that he was to be sentenced to death by hanging. He thus ran for dear life to seek refuge in the thicket of the forest.

He remained there for months to come, while all life (and non-life) in his town was about to be wiped off forever.

The Oba came out of hiding months later to formally surrender, upon which he was exiled from his own town despite his intense pleading.

The same British government immediately appointed the Obaseki to continue acting as the Oba of Benin immediately following Ovanramwen's banishment.

How else should Ovanramwen have been dethroned by the British government? grin

If the 1897 "punitive expedition" against Benin had happened in our modern times, the British would have been charged for genocide/crime against humanity.

In sum, stop painting a false picture as though Benin was contending in some warfare with the British in 1897.

No, that would be a completely deluded and insanely idiotic conclusion to make from the glaring history.

Take care of yourself emotional boy. I understand how you feel. I have been there.

Your Moniker will forever be in these Benin guys heart. They will NEVER forget!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by TAO11(f): 4:39pm On Apr 10, 2020
LegendHero:

Your Moniker will forever be in these Benin guys heart. They will NEVER forget!

Hahaha! I know, right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by eroticecstasy: 1:05am On Mar 08, 2023
The kinda silly posts that are making FP are unthinkable!
Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by 0m0nnakoda: 11:10am On Mar 13, 2023
bjdon:
The documented history of the bini kingdom is over 1000 years old. Established norms and traditions that are maintained to this day
Documented how and where?
I would like to study the documents
Re: In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. by Winnersunited: 12:48pm On Mar 13, 2023
bjdon:
The documented history of the bini kingdom is over 1000 years old. Established norms and traditions that are maintained to this day
I agree. Benin kingdom have a very strong traditions and heritage which it had maintained over the decades. The history of the kingdom about 18th century and it's sphere of influence across Nigeria and maybe West Africa is interesting to read. But my worry, is that towards 19th century, the kingdom or Empire influence (as you may wish to call it) started to shrink. Please can someone more knowledgeable educate me, why??

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Complete Names Of 21 Ministerial Nominees Read By Saraki / Young Soldiers Travel To Maiduguri In High Spirits To Battle Boko Haram. Photos / Why Sanusi Was Removed As Kano Emir – State Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.