Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,699 members, 7,844,307 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? (7040 Views)

Poll: Love or Respect! Which do you deem more important in a relationship?

love: 52% (50 votes)
respect: 47% (45 votes)
This poll has ended

'Love' Or 'Trust' Or 'Respect'. Which Is More Vital In A Relationship? / Guys: Love Or Respect; Which Do You Prefer In A Relationship / It's Seems Everybody Have Sexaul Relatnshp With Their Partner Before Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 27, 2010
this is the kind of topic that still keeps my membership alive in nairaland, thank u guys, i've learnt alot frm dis post
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by nethacker(m): 5:23pm On Dec 27, 2010
i go for respect
a man is already half way in love with a woman dat respects him grin
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Pharoh: 5:28pm On Dec 27, 2010
A man needs respect more than love while ( African ) women i think might prefer love a little bit to respect.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by livedit(f): 5:32pm On Dec 27, 2010
Frankly, I don't think you can possibly love someone and not respect them.  Love have so many meanings and the boundaries is endless.  With that being said, you can't possibly say: "I love you," but don't respect that person.  Love is action word.

Love is kind, truthful, unselfish, trusting, believing, forgiving, hopeful, enduring, long suffering, it is not rude, angry, jealous etc.  God is love.  This description alone shows you that if you truly love someone and it don't have to necessarily be romantically, that respect goes hand and hand with it.  The bible says that you should love your neighbor as you love yourself.  So assuming you love yourself, you would respect yourself, therefore showing respect to all those around you.  So if you don't love and respect yourself unconditionally, you can't possibly love and respect someone else.  It's as simple as that.  You treat people accordingly as you feel about yourself.  That's just the way it is and always will be.  It's in the word.

1 Like

Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by kcjazz(m): 6:08pm On Dec 27, 2010
@OP
Both men and women perceive things differently.
In a relationship, love and respect go hand in hand. A woman is naturally loving more than a man. The way to communicate with a man that you love him is by respecting him. For a woman, respect is not fear or having no opinion, it is about recognizing the man's role in the family/relationship. A man is to love his wife unconditionally.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by earthrealm(m): 7:57pm On Dec 27, 2010
u cant luv some1 u dont respect!,
men place respect higher on the scale than luv,
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by GP15: 8:02pm On Dec 27, 2010
I go for LOVE, inside love u see respect, inside respect u may likely not find love
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by CH3OH(m): 8:09pm On Dec 27, 2010
respect begets love. u cant love whom u hv no respect for. so i choose respect anytim anyday knoin dat love is embeddedd in respect.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Ranoscky(m): 8:32pm On Dec 27, 2010
jackkyy:

nigerians are so judgemental but they look past the bad name they have here for committing all sorts of million dollar frauds from medi -care fraud to

check fraud.i can go on and on.my point is that when i took sociology here in the us, we were taught not to judge a sample by an entire population. just cos

some african americans have their flaws doesnt mean there aren't good ones.of course they got good ones.a lot of nigerians here go to college and hope to

get a job. what if they went to an interview session and the prospective employer said to them " you are nigerian,i am sorry you cant get the job because you

stand a chance of being a fraudster".nigerians need to desist from this or sooner you will hear of them being killed by the people they talk down on.
undecided undecided undecided

What, in shyt sake, does all this gibberish got to do with the topic at hand? undecided why not say it plain that what you were about to post is off the topic, and that, you were about to talk down on Nigerian men? undecided

So, now that you have landed with all this FLAWBISH above, what next? undecided I guess you should start doin the killin of Nigerians yourself, or what do you think? undecided Some people ehn, Sometimes, I just 1der weda na 'white' dey cos am. undecided
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Ranoscky(m): 8:44pm On Dec 27, 2010
Love me less, I don't care, but pay me my respect, then, you'r welcome to my world, anytime, anyday, anywhere!
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by rman: 8:48pm On Dec 27, 2010
@Pro01
Thanks for stating clearly for all. Positive fear is what holds any long term relationship together

Both love and Reespect fades.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by mamagee3(f): 9:06pm On Dec 27, 2010
Love is more important because it brings in respect.

If there's no love there can't be any respect.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by shilees(f): 9:27pm On Dec 27, 2010
If u love someone then respect will come naturally, u always want the best for the the person, u want him or her to b happy, u'll respect his/her privacy, his/her opinion counts,u just want things to go well between u two. respect on d other hand does not mean u love the person, when u respect a person u show that u have high regard for the persons - opinions, looks, age, attitude etc. your respect for a person can make u love him/her.

So I will say love is more important

it's just my opinion
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Outstrip(f): 12:11am On Dec 28, 2010
There's no love without respect
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by akwaowoudo(m): 6:14am On Dec 28, 2010
My respect is paramount in nature; highly unique and can never be compromised. What is love? Just a state! I came to the world with esteem_ crying, smiling and greeted by all. Hence, respect! Why and why should i subdue and or dilute respect for love.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by akwaowoudo(m): 6:48am On Dec 28, 2010
mama-gee:

Love is more important because it brings in respect.

If there's no love there can't be any respect.

I strongly disagree. You may love a person but there exist no iota of respect for the person. Reason: may be you only take advantage of the person's beauty, or as a result of lust. Respect comes with an excellent uniqueness; resulting from artificial accomplishments and by this, you can have respect for somebody you hate. On a practical note, i use nairaland as a case study _ i hate Mrs. Eve because of her posts on "Men are" but i respect her on other facets of her positive contribution to NL. @ Mrs. Eve
I don't mean to upset your breakfast.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by cephmoh: 9:06am On Dec 28, 2010
u can't respect someone u don;t love period!! embarassed
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Ranoscky(m): 9:46am On Dec 28, 2010
akwaowoudo:

@ Mrs. Eve I don't mean to upset your breakfast.
Lolz.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by oludashmi(f): 10:29am On Dec 28, 2010
In true love, there is respect
And in true respect (not eye service), there is love

Above all, we need the duo to have a peaceful environment and live a fulfilled life.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by switdick(m): 10:37am On Dec 28, 2010
Hmmm to me as a Man,you had better Re§pect me first! They work hand in hand, any woman that respects me,obviously can see i'm a man of honour,prestige,great sense of humour and standard morals and principles,you having such virtue tagged on you as a man wins the respect of a Woman and thus,she automatically gains your L0ve simple to each their own,i think is reciprocal it turns like that:MAN needs RESPECT, WOMAN needs LOVE so we can exchange, lol
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 28, 2010
The fact that you respects a person does not prevent you from hurting him if he bleeps up.You cannot hurt someone whom you loves.Many of the governors were respected when they were on power,but they sins were remembered when they stepped down.Ironsi was respected when he was on power.Did the respect prevent a coup 4rm being planned against him? You can respect a person because you are afraid of him,but if you conquer ur fear,you can retaliate if he bleeps up.
akwaowoudo:

I strongly disagree. You may love a person but there exist no iota of respect for the person. Reason: may be you only take advantage of the person's beauty, or as a result of lust. Respect comes with an excellent uniqueness; resulting from artificial accomplishments and by this, you can have respect for somebody you hate. On a practical note, i use nairaland as a case study _ i hate Mrs. Eve because of her posts on "Men are" but i respect her on other facets of her positive contribution to NL. @ Mrs. Eve
I don't mean to upset your breakfast.
You don't know the meaning of true love.The fact that you are going after someone because of facial beauty and sexual accomplishments does not mean that you love her.There is a difference b/w love and lust.Read the book of 1 corinthians 13 and you'll know the attributes of love.When Christ Jesus mentioned love as the greatest commandment,he wasn't stupid.Maybe some nairalanders are now wiser than Christ.

1 Like

Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by switdick(m): 11:06am On Dec 28, 2010
@benstino N0 one is wiser than christ,love just simply comes with respect or is it because we emphasize the word Respect?christ expects you to understand that, LOVE is just the bold face and page Cover if you know what i mean,so pls respect and love your neighbor as your self lol, as for that which you typed of christ and love: forgiveness brings love and when you love,the light of G0d shines on you.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by MUZBO(m): 11:12am On Dec 28, 2010
Respect is something u learn; something u r brought up with but love in almost every case occur naturally. I have met a girl who dint respect her bf, not even her Father but she 'loved' the guy anyway IMO. So I don't think the two should b merged in argument but if I must choose 1 I think respect for one another with take u further than love ever will! These r complex issues true true
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by aameyah(f): 12:32pm On Dec 28, 2010
@ all NLANDERS
wow kiss kissi must confess that i'm really learnin thins here. Personally, i think men care alot about respect. Some dont even believ in love but care very much about getting their due respect. And funny enough, respect is enough to keep some men feeling loved. wink
please, dnt leave this thread without leaving ur own quota on this very congent issue as its proving 2 b very educative 2 us all. Also, dont forget 2 vote at the polls. GOD bless y'all. cheesy
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by akwaowoudo(m): 1:05pm On Dec 28, 2010
Benstino:
You don't know the meaning of true love.The fact that you are going after someone because of facial beauty and sexual accomplishments does not mean that you love her.There is a difference b/w love and lust.Read the book of 1 corinthians 13 and you'll know the attributes of love.When Christ Jesus mentioned love as the greatest commandment,he wasn't silly.Maybe some nairalanders are now wiser than Christ.
Thrash! Drop it in the abyss.
akwaowoudo:

My respect is paramount in nature; highly unique and can never be compromised. What is love? Just a state! I came to the world with esteem_ crying, smiling and greeted by all. Hence, respect! Why and why should i subdue and or dilute respect for love.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 28, 2010
akwaowoudo:

Thrash! Drop it in the abyss.
So you have nothing else to say?This ain't the right way to defend ur point.I pity you cry cry
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Dec 28, 2010
Most people especially the youths of today can't distinguish between LOVE and RESPECT why? because of modernization and westernization, tradition. LOVE is supposed to be sacred. and with true love comes not just a feeling of but a true state of being secured, freedom and assured, and respect in both ways. Love is actually the relentless act art and lifestyle of sacrificing for one another unconditionally. Our tradition taught us how to respect but didn't teach us how to love truely. westernization took some elements of the respect imbibed in us and showed us a form of love lust. but modernization showed us even  more cravings for lust and no respects at all,  really, and ideally love and respect are two different things but can/should be combined together.

n.b: love isn't necessarily that tender strange kind of feeling/emotion u show to your partner but is a true kind feeling you show to people you meet on a daily basis besides loving and being in love are two different things and both commands respect naturally!
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by cardoso111(m): 8:59pm On Dec 28, 2010
respect respect respect:it breeds love and all the fruits of the spirit
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Bling49ja(f): 9:47pm On Dec 28, 2010
There is no respect without loving the person. but this respect is something u do with common sense.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by coolpapa: 12:24am On Dec 29, 2010
@poster

Love and respect

which of the above do u possess, i guess non rather than confusion and hatred. u bera indemnify grin grin
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by olu77(m): 1:20am On Dec 29, 2010
We respect those we love! what is love without respect? Anyway u can respect someone reluctantly without loving that person but you are a liar if u claim u love somebody but u do not respect the person.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by kcjazz(m): 2:53am On Dec 29, 2010
Like I mentioned before there is a difference between Love and Respect, for those who say if you love someone, then you respect them. I think that is overly simplistic because you can love people without respecting them by the way you treat them and vice versa.

I would suggest a wonderful book that deals with this topic, it is called " Love and Respect" by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs very helpful for singles and couples.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Elder Brother Calls His Younger Sister An slowpoke? / Daughter Catches Her Mother In Bed With Her Baby Daddy At Her Apartment (video) / My Aunty Moans So Loud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.