Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,550 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka (4262 Views)

Saraki Could Face 14-year Jail Term, Ban From Public Office If Convicted / Emir Of Kano, Sanusi, Withdrawing Money From ATM (Pictured) / APC Wants Obanikoro Banned From Public Office, Adesiyan Sacked As Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by OchiAgha2(m): 7:43pm On Dec 26, 2010
‘I am Withdrawing from Public Life’ - Soyinka

His youthful vigour
[/b]Considering the fact that I am coming from what I will call my last public event this year and possible last public event in other places, before I retire, may be that is a clue that I enjoy being among young people. As I said at the launch of President Jonathan’s Bring Back the Book event, that was the greatest Christmas and New Year present that I could have dreamt of; to find myself among, and I meant very genuinely among the youth and interacting with them, maybe that is the only secret. I am speculating because I really don’t know. I am not even aware I am looking young. I don’t feel young at all.

[b]The public apology tendered by Yakubu Gowon during Soyinka’s 70th birthday

Oh! In fact that apology wasn’t necessary because we have reconciled long before then. We met in events in United States, we met in the lobby of hotel at one time and of course he came to my birthday. The point is that, it’s virtually impossible for me to hold it personally. The only thing that was bitter, and I must be honest with you, was the lie against me while I was locked away and I think it was not the fact of being locked away. I was put in a totally impossible position, while the most unbelievable fabrications were being published about me, including a confessional statement which did not exist, which never took place. Forgiven is even a wrong word, I have no problem finding myself reconciled with Mr Gowon. He also did something which I found impressing. He went to Onitsha, you know the massacre which took place, where civilians were massacred, lined up and shot.

When he learnt about it, he made a trip to Onitsha and went and apologised to the people. You see in war time, all kinds of things happen, some of them which make humanity ashamed. When those things happened and you are in charge and then you learnt about it and you are humble enough and humane enough to go back and try to make amends, I found it impossible to hold anything against you.

His views on returning to the world again as a Nigerian
You have asked a question that beholds me at my age to answer with utmost truth, a question that requires a lot of reflection. There are certain things I know I will miss, if possible and I come back somewhere else. Basically, I think I would prefer to be a member of a smaller, more manageable country. Nigeria is a problematic enclave. I can tell you that if the condition of my coming back into the world is that most of the people in this area should also come back, I will say please send me back. I will rest peacefully, if I could die knowing I never knew those characters that have infested this nation we call Nigeria. It is a place that has been degraded by the quality of people who seems to be the most active, to have managed to push themselves into roles of leadership. They created a character called Nigeria character, very embarrassing on many levels.

[b]His saddest and happiest period
[/b]The word happy is what I use very sparingly. I will like to substitute that with the most contended moment or period of my existence.

I would certainly count among the most fulfilled moment, when I found it possible to return to the country after a period of exile and I could come back.

One of the saddest moments of my life, which I recognised during Abacha’s rule, was the moment when I stood at the bank of a river which I crossed to escape in the bush in a part of Iseyin, Oyo State, because I have sworn I will never be driven into exile again. But it was necessary, you know. That moment was one of the saddest of my life.

[b]Lessons learnt from his travels
[/b]There is no way you travelled and you don’t make comparison. One comparison you make most of the time makes you wonder why it is impossible for the nation you belong to advance. We started from the same starting bloc as a number of Asian countries and if you visited those countries today, it is a marvel and you wonder if it really is possible for society to have deteriorated to this level, to remain unproductive. Every moment I go out, people think I enjoy junketing. No; I go out to earn my living, pursue my profession.

His assessment of the nation’s democracy since 1999
My candid assessment is that democracy is still far away. Genuine democracy is not just election. This country has been there before, when you could actually say this is a democratic society. But the military experience has distorted things. Today, governors behave like military administrators. Some of them murdered more people than Sanni Abacha did.

Elections are approaching and riggers realised it’s going to be more difficult to rig; so, they are doing pre-emptive rigging, kidnapping opponents and only releasing them after the candidate has accepted to stand down. In my own state, Ogun State, Dipo Dina was killed; today the police has not announced a single breakthrough.

This is a governorship candidate. Democracy is already maimed. Look at elected officers, they wanted to be return unopposed automatically. Many of the sensitive positions are still manned by former military men who changed their regalia and rigged into the positions. The President of Senate, who was never elected, is a former military man.

The rejection of Ibrahim Babangida’s candidature by some northern politicians
I don’t think it is just the Northern caucus which rejected Mr Babangida. I think the whole nation rejected Mr Babangida from the very beginning. What Mr Babangida thinks he is doing by insisting on coming back to rule this country, I do not understand. But it is unfortunate that such an intelligent person, it is a pity that he would have allowed some individuals to have persuaded him that he can return to rule this country. And each time you point it out, his gang of sycophants, (abobaku) leave the subject alone and turn on the speaker. You see, after you publish this, they would come out. You will see them, the subject becomes Wole Soyinka. But Wole Soyinka will still continue to say the truth.

The disruption of his recent initiative to resolve the political crisis in Ogun State
When I read in the newspapers that some loyalists of Gbenga Daniel tried to disrupt the meeting, the word loyalists is wrong. It should have been some Gbenga Daniel mercenaries tried to disrupt the meeting. They did everything possible to disrupt the meeting and that was what they intend to do. We received very reliable report on what they wanted to do, and so I wrote a letter to the Commissioner of Police and delivered it to him and sent a copy to Inspector General of Police to let them know that there were plans to violently make sure the meeting did not take place. In addition to the police coming, I also engaged a security outfit from the night before. So, they were in the hall to check that nothing is planted to incriminate people. When I say they are mercenaries of Gbenga Daniel, I know what I am saying. I have a full tape from beginning to the end. Not only that, it seems I missed the best part of my own show which I regretted, because I would have loved to watch it. After I left, a fight broke out among some of these mercenaries in the sharing of the loot. Gbenga Daniel should be man enough to admit that he sent these people to disrupt the meeting. He should stop hiding under women’s skirt and come out boldly. It is a great pity, and I am sad because he lost a great opportunity. All we wanted to do, the target is how to provide Ogun State with title of gateway to democracy. The question which we wanted to solve is how to re-open the Ogun State House of Assembly. That assembly belongs to Ogun citizens. It does not belong to an individual.

[b]Intractability of the problem
[/b]This is the question which will not go away. Before the start of the president’s book reading programme, I sat in camera with the president.I said, ‘what is happening in Ogun State is a disgrace. It brings shame to any pretence to democratic government. Get the House of Assembly open, make sure those who go there are protected. An individual or cabal cannot shut the House of Assembly. It means democracy had been terminated in Ogun State. It means Ogun is being run by a sole administrator who is free to do anything he wants, including disruption of democratic meetings. This has been going on since September. I told the President, how can you allow this to go on for so long? Let me add something which all Nigerians should be reminded of about this crisis. One of the groups challenged the governor to a debate on the issue of bond, the whole nation was agog waiting for this debate once the governor had accepted. I think on the eve of the debate, the assembly was shut, a majority was sacked by the minority. The debate never took place, but even the shutting of the assembly which is, to me criminal enough, does not prevent the debate. So, a crude, vulgar attempt was made to make sure it did not happen, so where is freedom of expression in Ogun State?

His request at the Town Hall meeting that he wanted to be buried in Abeokuta
Haa! That will be a private matter. Everything is so written in my will. But if I die before democracy is restored in Ogun State and now that you asked that question, I think I better go and put a codeism to my will. If I died before democracy is restored in Ogun State, I think I might add to my will that I should either be kept on ice or temporarily buried somewhere else in Nigeria.

His thinking on religiosity of Nigerians
First of all, you said I don’t go to church. That is not true. From time to time, events take place which take me to church. I have nothing against the churches, I have nothing against mosques. I have nothing against temples, against shrines. I am a very different person. You know, I am not a religious person. In other words, I don’t go around worshipping, observing calendars.

But, sometimes, I share with others their own religious seasons and why not, its all part of human quest for a meaning of one outside sect. But if you say do I belief as Christians or Muslims do, no I do not. I believe that as spiritual extension of all, that can take any form. I like to go deep inside myself and carry out certain,  and that satisfies me. So, I don’t worry myself going to church on Sundays, going to Mosque of Fridays or going to Seventh Day Adventist. I also believe that religion or spirituality is a personal thing.

[b]How he treats his hair
[/b]Oh! barbing saloon. Oh! I carry my barbing saloon with me. I have a good comb, and the comb take off some in the process and that is my daily help out.

I don’t treat it at all. I don’t have time for that. If am in an open boat, or I go in the wind, you need to see it, just scatter all over the place. And when I swim, you want to see. You know I don’t treat my hair at all, it just take all kind of wild form to scare people.

[b]Withdrawal from public life
[/b]I have been announcing it serially, I am withdrawing from public life. I have to concentrate on a number of things. It is something that has been going on in my mind for years. When Desmond Tutu did that, I say I have people to point to, to say they have shown the way. So, my date to retire from public life is coming very soon. This interview will be my last interview.

Culled from 234next.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by OchiAgha2(m): 7:46pm On Dec 26, 2010
This man is definitely in a league of his own. I really have a lot of respect for the man, because he speaks the truth.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by Nobody: 8:01pm On Dec 26, 2010
That's strange. . . Didn't he just form a political party?
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On Dec 26, 2010
I am glad this is finally happening. The man's job has long been done, it is time for the younger generation to either move the nation forward or decide it is their lot to continue with the status quo.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 26, 2010
Ojukwu dead

Soyinka withdrawing

See 2011. . .  . lipsrsealed
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by Fynist(m): 12:37pm On Dec 27, 2010
You have done enough prof.Pity we don't have people like you in our generation to carry on
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by deor03(m): 12:57pm On Dec 27, 2010
Let the youths take their destiny in their own hands.

The Enahoros, Ojukwus, Gowon, Azikwes, My Father, even OBJ started contributing to this country since their 20s.

They need to be relaxing and on pension now!
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by richylaw(m): 4:42pm On Dec 27, 2010
Love his analogy of life, Nigeria and the leaders. Soyinka will always be my heroe.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 27, 2010
nice for him good hero
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by mikkytrio(m): 7:39pm On Dec 27, 2010
few words for a man of his calibre. cannot really quantify the man.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by McCoy91(m): 8:10pm On Dec 27, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am glad this is finally happening. The man's job has long been done, it is time for the younger generation to either move the nation forward or decide it is their lot to continue with the status quo.
younger generation, eh? Pity itz virtually dormant
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by OvieE: 9:36pm On Dec 27, 2010
Wonderful man. God bless you.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by dempeople(m): 11:32pm On Dec 27, 2010
Kongi himself, if you're retiring from public life, there's simply no Nigerian out there who has a better international voice clout out there than you - apart from the likes of Achebe. We still need your presence especially now that Nigeria is more and more resembling a basket case, as everyday comes. Please, you're the conscience of the nation. Its not time for resting yet.  cry cry cry cry
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by Remii(m): 8:19am On Dec 28, 2010
.-.-.-.- uhmnnnn, "The man dies in all who keep silent in the face of tyranny". I hope "Kongi" is not dying.

You have done you bit sha, all the best.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by supereagle(m): 9:02am On Dec 28, 2010
There cant be another replacement for him again. You have acted your part. Go and rest.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by wesley80(m): 10:38am On Dec 28, 2010
Retire? Your Job aint done yet! No doubt Soyinka has contributed a whole lot to Ngr but withdrawing at this stage puts him on thesame level as d likes of Gani, Enahoro etc who came saw and eventually got conquered by the system and yet left no real legacy for d younger generatn 2 follow except their personal travails and accomplishments.
One would expect some1 as vast as Soyinka to recognize that there's really no platform on ground to launch a desperately needed revolution. What I xpected was 4 him 2 search both sides of d Niger for men of impeccable integrity and Vision, imagine d likes of Duke, Utomi, Ribadu, Col Abubakar Umar, Achebe etc in one party. That way d upcoming generatn wld have a platform 2 launch their revolutn and He can rest knowing he has set in motion an inevitable process of revolutionary change.
This is what Soyinka owes the country he has fought so hard for else when he eventually goes, he wld be remembered only as a nobel prize winning armchair critic.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by jposuagwu: 10:43am On Dec 28, 2010
A worker deserves not just his wage but his rest. While his wage is most appropriate and sure, rest is not assured especially if a set task is not accomplished. Prof Soyinka has laboured over the years for the country, unfortunately the task he set out to accomplish has not been accomplished. And since the Prof is strong and energetic and very sound in mind, I disagree it is time for rest yet. There is a lot to be done. His is about  the most credible voice in our fatherland. How can he rest and leave the thiefing vagabonds to ravage the land. No, Soyinka you cant rest now. God has blessed you with good health and sound mind, we still need you around. May the Almighty God continue to keep you alive for us for many years to come. May He continue to give you the youth and energy to champion the course of Nigeria, to continue to tell the truth to the very end. May He change the dubious hearts of the rogues that have rigged themselves into strategic aspects of our national life to begin to listen to your voice of wisdom.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by oludashmi(f): 10:50am On Dec 28, 2010
I love this man.
He is an Icon.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by Dimka76(m): 11:15am On Dec 28, 2010
The man says he wants to retire , why not let him go jeje? Are there no other heroes in the land?

So he is really an atheist. hmmm.

Why did they not ask him how he intends to dismantle the campus cults he started?
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by Dimka76(m): 11:39am On Dec 28, 2010
jposuagwu:

A worker deserves not just his wage but his rest. While his wage is most appropriate and sure, rest is not assured especially if a set task is not accomplished. Prof Soyinka has laboured over the years for the country, unfortunately the task he set out to accomplish has not been accomplished. And since the Prof is strong and energetic and very sound in mind, I disagree it is time for rest yet. There is a lot to be done. His is about the most credible voice in our fatherland. How can he rest and leave the thiefing vagabonds to ravage the land. No, Soyinka you cant rest now. God has blessed you with good health and sound mind, we still need you around. May the Almighty God continue to keep you alive for us for many years to come. May He continue to give you the youth and energy to champion the course of Nigeria, to continue to tell the truth to the very end. May He change the dubious hearts of the rogues that have rigged themselves into strategic aspects of our national life to begin to listen to your voice of wisdom.

Maybe u will tie a rope to his neck and force him back into limelight. He did not say he is dying , if u miss him so much then u go see him privately , abi?
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by NAJALYN: 1:22pm On Dec 28, 2010
Wole Soyinka, the anti-corruption crusader, has done so much for Nigeria, for which we are grateful. We will definitly miss him when he takes his exit from public life. We need more people like him in Nigeria, especially the youths. Let our youths rise up to the challenge & continue from where late Gani Fawenhimin, late Beko Kuti, Wole Soyinka, etc. left off.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by juman(m): 8:07pm On Dec 28, 2010
This is sad news, our beloved and trusted Prof. is taking back seat while the country is still in disarray. Well, he has done his best.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by frag(m): 8:46pm On Dec 28, 2010
Its about time.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by PhysicsQED(m): 9:36pm On Dec 28, 2010
Great man. Sad to see him frustrated by Nigeria like this.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by osat02: 10:23pm On Dec 28, 2010
W.S-my very own literary god, a 'god' of all seasons
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by yulad(m): 1:21am On Dec 29, 2010
okay
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by Ayatullah(m): 4:14am On Dec 29, 2010
Salute to Soyinka, he has tried a lot on many fronts. I advise him to die a muslim.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by akwaowoudo(m): 7:01am On Dec 29, 2010
Thank you Wole, for all you have done for Nigeria and Africa.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by akwaowoudo(m): 7:04am On Dec 29, 2010
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by jokingmary(m): 6:41pm On Dec 29, 2010
akwaowoudo:

Real thank you
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by ahf(m): 8:40am On Dec 30, 2010
Here is a man that stands for the truth. A man of reputation.

In the chaos called Nigeria, some people still decide to stand by the truth !!

I doubt if we have a lot of his calibre grooming in Nigeria.

A man's legacy is not his wealthy empire,but the impression he leaves on humanity. (The Nigerian child has been brainwashed not to follow this advice).

Great Man !!! In the league of Great Men.
Re: ‘I Am Withdrawing From Public Life’ - Soyinka by Pifa: 9:51pm On Dec 30, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am glad this is finally happening.  The man's job has long been done, it is time for the younger generation to either move the nation forward or decide it is their lot to continue with the status quo.

That pretty much sums it up. Mr. Soyinka is one of the very few Nigerian leaders I hold in high esteem.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Doom For Boko Haram: NAF Takes Delivery Of STATE-OF-THE-ART Mi35m HELICOPTERS / Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. / Arms Billions: Dasuki Reveals How David Mark Got N10.7billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.