Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. (55199 Views)

Osinbajo 's Road To Abuja As Vice President: The Untold Story By Olawale Olaleye / The 16 Allegations Raised Against Adesina, AfDB President The US Wants Revisited / CCB Act That Indicts The Suspended CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by oyebolaidris: 8:04am On Mar 30, 2020
Must u talk?
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 8:05am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:
Can you also tell me the law and acts the president used in his speech to make such decisions on the states behalf we are all here to learn instead of you to chip in opinion on why you feel he has the right to do what he did you are here criticising what I wrote even the Op we had a good chat and we both came to a mature conclusion which is way better than what you dragging with me. Bros state you own opinion

So, you didn't read what the OP posted, you are just commenting? No wonder you sound confused.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by akwalest: 8:06am On Mar 30, 2020
I think further explanation is needed on this

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 8:11am On Mar 30, 2020
Actually I see u are here to act stupid why don't you take your frustration somewhere else

idealogical:

So, you didn't read what the OP posted, you are just commenting? No wonder you sound confused.

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 8:14am On Mar 30, 2020
manontree:
I do not have a problem with the legality or otherwise of a curfew. And yes, that's what this is, a curfew. It is essentially not a lockdown or forced quarantine but a curfew. The problem with curfew tests with its enforcement. It means our law enforcement agents would have a field day deciding who have breached it or who hasnt

When you escalate such scenarios, there are millions of people that desperately would need help. They may not have enough to survive for 14days. Even rich people amongst us may discover he may need some vital food items after 10 days. Those that would like to go out to buy food and eat, how would the enforcement treat them. Would they find sellers? Would they have enough money to buy vital items

What of those that fall desperately sick within this period. Would they get transportation to seek help. Would anyone come to their aid seeing as there is a curfew?

I do not think we have experienced such a situation before. Personally I would have advocated for a week curfew and thereafter we assess how far it has helped and decide on how to proceed. Most businesses and people have been on hold for upwards of 10 days already and a blanket curfew for another 14 days, even if sensible, would result in a cruel and unusual punishment for a vast number of poor people

We would find that despite the lip service of providing some audio relief materials, most of these poor people would be on their own

Good point.

Now, look at the US, Trump tried to reverse his shut down order and reopen the US by easter, but after seeing the ongoing devastation, stats and projections, he quickly backtracked and increased the showdown till the end of April.

Italy w'd love to be in our position right now, but they acted too late, the same way the US acted too late.

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 8:18am On Mar 30, 2020
Legal Authorities for Isolation and Quarantine

Federal isolation and quarantine are authorized for these communicable diseases

Federal isolation and quarantine are authorized by Executive Order of the President. The President can revise this list by Executive Order.

Isolation and Quarantine

Isolation and quarantine help protect the public by preventing exposure to people who have or may have a contagious disease.

Federal Law

The federal government derives its authority for isolation and quarantine from the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

Under section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264), the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services is authorized to take measures to prevent the entry and spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the United States and between states.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlawsregulationsquarantineisolation.html

Federal isolation and quarantine are authorized by Executive Order of the President. The President can revise this list by Executive Order.

This is America's quarantine power, the land of democracy and where Nigeria copied democracy. t's not different from ours, the president can shut everything down without congressional approval.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by upper(m): 8:19am On Mar 30, 2020
The OP has conveniently cited part of the Quarantine act that suited his narrative. The act clearly stated that it is for infected people and not everybody. Constitution is also very clear on when restriction of movement and association of people applies. Don't justify illegality otherwise, one day it come back to bite in the a**
naptu2:
1) Does the president have the power to lock down the FCT, Lagos and Ogun states?

Yes he does. (Bear with me, I'm going to tell you the full story).

A friend of mine told me something around a month ago. He joked that these flu pandemics seem to appear every 100 years. There was a similar pandemic in 1720, 1820 and in 1920.

Now, I remember my mother telling me a bit about this and I did my own research. The 1920 pandemic also affected Lagos. There was a quarantine, but some people were negligent in their duty and some people aboard one of the infected ships were able to come ashore. This enabled the Spanish Flu to spread in Lagos and people were taken to the Infectious Diseases Hospital in Ikoyi (I can't remember for sure, but I think she said that the IDH was at the location that Creek Hospital [Military Hospital now occupies on Awolowo Road in Ikoyi).

The Bubonic Plague also affected Lagos later in the 1920s.

These diseases led to the enactment of the Quarantine Act in 1926 (it has been amended a few times).

The Quarantine Act gives the president the power to declare any place within Nigeria or outside Nigeria as an infected place and it gives him the power to take all measures necessary to ensure that dangerous infectious diseases do not spread from that place to any other place in Nigeria.

Here's a link to the Quarantine Act. http://lawsofnigeria.placng.org/laws/Q2.pdf

Some people ask if state governors have the power to lock down their states. The act gives them that power if the president has not yet acted

Furthermore, some people say that the president can not lock down these places because the constitution gives people the right to freedom of movement.

They say that the only way that the president can lock down these places is by declaring a state of emergency. That's not true. Read section 45 (1a) of the constitution:

Here's a link to the constitution: http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by FancyDaddy: 8:20am On Mar 30, 2020
It is obvious that you don't understand due process on this case. If PMB will lock down a state, he will first dialogue with people involved (the State in question). Each State have the person representing them in "Village Square" i.e National Assembly. Buhari is not the owner of all humans in the state. He is just to represent the interest of Nigerian. If the interest of Nigerian is to get certain welfare for the those who might die from hunger under lock down. Then as a citizen, he merit a welfare package to enable him stay at home. Common Sense*
The State representative will table the people's need. Then work with them to make progress. You can't just wake up and lock down a State haphazardly. Are you mad!?
People supporting a President has the right for recklessness are dizzy thinkers.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Akponmfet: 8:22am On Mar 30, 2020
naptu2:

Go back and read my first post. I have modified it to make it clearer. The law says state governors can take those actions as long as the president has not yet acted and that the president's actions will supersede the governor's actions when the president eventually acts.

The president ordered a total lock down of Lagos, Ogun and the FCT as from 11pm today.

Lagos wasn't under a lock down. According to Governor Sanwoolu, Lagos had a "slow down" not a lock down.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 8:23am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:
Actually I see u are here to act stupid why don't you take your frustration somewhere else

You are the one with the frustration, you are asking me to produce what's already been posted, it's even the topic on the front page. Go and read it before your next comment and instead of arguing, show us where the constitution is against the president's action.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Akponmfet: 8:24am On Mar 30, 2020
Why are you wasting your time arguing with illiterates?
Goodluck with that.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by quickberry(m): 8:24am On Mar 30, 2020
helinues:
Has he done that yet?

States are the one currently dictating their policies regarding this coronavirus palava

He has done that already.......stop misinforming people
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Gazzy88(m): 8:27am On Mar 30, 2020
funmike83:
Why are we like this in nig. When the man didn't talk , you were all shouting , now that he gave directives, na another wahala. We are just too complex to rule in this country
Democracy isn't for a terrible country like Nigeria. We need communism like China. You will see fools who can't even control their wives at home lambasting the president, thinking they have opinions. Most of them can't lead their family but they will be the first to talk down govt efforts. We require serious iron hand for things to get right in Nigeria. We need a commando-style of leadership. Nigerians are lawless people which is the reasons we have lawless leaders. Remember, today leaders were once citizens before.

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Kingsleypaul9988(m): 8:28am On Mar 30, 2020
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by FancyDaddy: 8:29am On Mar 30, 2020
If Nigerian says PMB is not representing them well. He should not impose himself of them. Failure of a President is grave offence.
"German Minister of Finance prefer to die in silence than to stand and be questioned for failed Economy caused by Corona Virus."
Economy failed due to External factor* Natural disaster. In Nigeria it can never happen because their leader doesn't have shame. His days are numbered.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 8:30am On Mar 30, 2020
FancyDaddy:
It is obvious that you don't understand due process on this case. If PMB will lock down a state, he will first dialogue with people involved (the State in question). Each State have the person representing them in "Village Square" i.e National Assembly. Buhari is not the owner of all humans in the state. He is just to represent the interest of Nigerian. If the interest of Nigerian is to get certain welfare for the those who might die from hunger under lock down. Then as a citizen, he merit a welfare package to enable him stay at home. Common Sense*
The State representative will table the people's need. Then work with them to make progress. You can't just wake up and lock down a State haphazardly. Are you mad!?
People supporting a President has the right for recklessness are dizzy thinkers.

36. The Governors of Lagos and Ogun States as well as the Minister of the FCT have been notified. Furthermore, heads of security and intelligence agencies have also been briefed.

The states are not oblivious per FG actions. Some of you just comment and blame other people, but you don't read.

Btw, dead people don't eat food. First, stay alive and virus-free, this should be your primary concern, not obsession with food.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by LivingSage: 8:33am On Mar 30, 2020
Same as FASHOLA then during Ebola crisis. He doesn't wait for clueless GEJ as well coz if he does, the menace would have been much. FG has always been reluctant where they ought to be proactive.
Erediauwa:
Even though I don't like him, Baba lifeless have every right to lock down any State or location within the country that might cause threat to lives and properties to the citizens...

But the "Push and Start" General always wait for orders from his cabals before exercising his power as the number one man.

Jide Sanwo-Olu knows that if he had to wait for General M.Buhari, (rtd) Lagos State would have been recording more deaths than Italy and France put together.

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 8:36am On Mar 30, 2020
upper:
The OP has conveniently cited part of the Quarantine act that suited his narrative. The act clearly stated that it is for infected people and not everybody. Constitution is also very clear on when restriction of movement and association of people applies. Don't justify illegality otherwise, one day it come back to bite in the a**

8. State quarantine and powers.
An Act to provide for and regulate the imposition of quarantine and to make other
provisions for preventing the introduction into and spread in Nigeria, and the
transmission from Nigeria, of dangerous infectious diseases.
[18 of 1926. 7 of 1929. L.N. 131 of 1954)
[27th May, 1926]

Read again, slowly.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by FancyDaddy: 8:42am On Mar 30, 2020
This post is not making sense! You are toying with Citizens life and rights. The Senior Advocate of Nigeria that wrote earlier post is well experienced than this newbie who wrote this post. Focus of any directive should be on life saving and sustainance. If people stay home without what to eat, they die, then death toll caused by hunger will eventually exceed the death caused by COVID-19.
Why is their Presidency hoarding money and let the people go hunger. Oh ! Maybe he already want starvation to kill many so he use the medium and an opportunity to make them get stranded at home and die.

Then The Presidency wish the people die a systemic death by hunger.

Focus on best Solution not just write Tor the sale of writing. This is senseless write-up.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 8:47am On Mar 30, 2020
FancyDaddy:
This post is not making sense! You are toying with Citizens life and rights. The Senior Advocate of Nigeria that wrote earlier post is well experienced than this newbie who wrote this post. Focus of any directive should be on life saving and sustainance. If people stay home without what to eat, they die, then death toll caused by hunger will eventually exceed the death caused by COVID-19.
Why is their Presidency hoarding money and let the people go hunger. Oh ! Maybe he already want starvation to kill many so he use the medium and an opportunity to make them get stranded at home and die.

Then The Presidency wish the people die a systemic death by hunger.

Focus on best Solution not just write Tor the sale of writing. This is senseless write-up.

Experience in false and misleading claims.

How come you did not ask the SAN to show you the part of the constitution he based his factless opinion on, at least the OP showed you his own facts, the Nigerian constitution.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by habiorlah001: 8:49am On Mar 30, 2020
Stay safe by earning from home to know more join this platform and you won't regret it cos you will learn for free
Join now https:///KZtUN51fQiO1aAdRTxpbn8
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by FancyDaddy: 8:54am On Mar 30, 2020
idealogical:

The states are not oblivious per FG actions. Some of you just comment and blame other people, but you don't read.

Btw, dead people don't eat food. First, stay alive and virus-free, this should be your primary concern, not obsession with food.

Hunger is the main epidemic disaster of Africa. Go CNN the only picture representing Africa depict hunger. Nigeria has not overcome the endemics. And death of citizens caused by hunger in Nigeria history is alarming.

If you value human life. You will know that their life need to be nutured.

The virus is active on Senior citizens above 60 years old. While young people body methabolism is more active to produce more antigens and build more immune system against the virus.

With good nutrition not hunger the body can fight against COVID-19.

You view is not important because it is selfish. Better understanding is achieved when you can feel and see the pain of citizens and who are daily earners. You can understand better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 8:56am On Mar 30, 2020
Bro don't be an asshole in my comment to you I stated that I stand to be corrected which simply means I can make mistakes and we can correct each not u acting me as if u were sent by Buhari take your stupidity away from me and get yourself a life it's Monday

idealogical:

You are the one with the frustration, you are asking me to produce what's already been posted, it's even the topic on the front page. Go and read it before your next comment and instead of arguing, show us where the constitution is against the president's action.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by FancyDaddy: 8:58am On Mar 30, 2020
idealogical:

From your word, "First alive..."
Ask yourself, do people stay alive with empty stomack? People work daily to put food on the table so they can survive, 'stay alive' right. Apply Common Sense.

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 9:00am On Mar 30, 2020
FancyDaddy:

Hunger is the main epidemic disaster of Africa. Go CNN the only picture representing Africa depict hunger. Nigeria has not overcome the endemics. And death of citizens caused by hunger in Nigeria history is alarming.

If you value human life. You will know that their life need to be nutured.

The virus is active on Senior citizens above 60 years old. While young people body methabolism is more active to produce more antigens and build more immune system against the virus.

With good nutrition not hunger the body can fight against COVID-19.

You view is not important because it is selfish. Better understanding is achieved when you can feel and see the pain of citizens and who are daily earners. You can understand better.

My point is, you have to be alive to eat food, dead people can not eat food.

Obey and follow safety instructions first because if you don't, you will get infected, you will infect your family and possibly die.

Stay safe and stay alive first.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by DonMekino(m): 9:00am On Mar 30, 2020
so if for instance the governor gives a total restrictions of movt, while the president feels otherwise, whose order are we going to follow?

truth be told, Nigeria has one of the most ambiguous constitution in the world, always overlapping and conflicting functions....that's why restructuring is still needed, it will still relieve lots of burden on the president, but ant typical Africa president wants all the powers in the land.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 30, 2020
Ermmm my own is, when are they paying the money through our BVN? Ajuala don enter pot o
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 9:05am On Mar 30, 2020
All I told the OP was this the act he stated was 1920 and as at then we were ruled by the westerns and he agreed that the law is still been amended and the Senate is yet to pass it as at when this acts came into play I was yet to be born but we all read in the history that westerns were the one ruling us. Now the Bill needs to be passed so as for the president to have the full power to place lock down in any state is all am saying and if I have insulted you in any am not ashamed to say am sorry am not the violent type so kindly accept my apology and if am wrong again I stand to be corrected this is a forum to learn and be well educated not to insult each other because I feel we are all matured minds

idealogical:

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 9:06am On Mar 30, 2020
FancyDaddy:

From your word, "First alive..."
Ask yourself, do people stay alive with empty stomack? People work daily to put food on the table so they can survive, 'stay alive' right. Apply Common Sense.

You have a choice to make for you and your family, do what's best for you.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 9:08am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:
All I told the OP was this the act he stated was 1920 and as at then we were ruled by the westerns and he agreed that the law is still been amended and the Senate is yet to pass it as at when this acts came into play I was yet to be born but we all read in the history that westerns were the one ruling us. Now the Bill needs to be passed so as for the president to have the full power to place lock down in any state is all am saying and if I have insulted you in any am not ashamed to say am sorry am not the violent type so kindly accept my apology and if am wrong again I stand to be corrected this is a forum to learn and be well educated not to insult each other because I feel we are all matured minds

The law is the law regardless of when and how it was created, it's still the law of the land until it's repealed or amended.

Stop confusing and misleading yourself.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by HomorBj(m): 9:10am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:
Hope you know that during that period we were been ruled by the westerns and also the military so it's quit different to democracy, he needs the national assembly of Lagos State to approve and it's only Sanwo-Olu that can deaclear such in Lagos and more so if Buhari wants to order for State of emergency he needs the Senate to approve but unfortunately senate sef no sit down so he has no power too no be military era we dey bros

Sorry for quoting u,but this cannot be likened to a state of emergency..It hasn’t reached that stage yet,and the President as the GCFR is empowered by existing laws of the constitution to protect the citizens even if it has to be at the detriment of everyone
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Deyemz(f): 9:10am On Mar 30, 2020
OK

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Did Amaechi Visit APC Chairman, Adamu, With Bags Of Cash? - Fact Check (Photo) / EndSARS: Awkuzu SARS Under Lock As Protesters Paralyse Awka / Soldiers Kill More Boko Haram Militants,Recover Weapons In Borno. Graphic Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.