Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,267 members, 7,815,442 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. (55214 Views)

Osinbajo 's Road To Abuja As Vice President: The Untold Story By Olawale Olaleye / The 16 Allegations Raised Against Adesina, AfDB President The US Wants Revisited / CCB Act That Indicts The Suspended CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by JONNYSPUTE(m): 6:32am On Mar 30, 2020
There's nothing to debate. The president has done what he is supposed to do at this point in time. Anybody who doesn't like it should go to hell. Must everything be about politics? Tueh

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by naptu2: 6:32am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:
Hope you know that during that period we were been ruled by the westerns and also the military so it's quit different to democracy, he needs the national assembly of Lagos State to approve and it's only Sanwo-Olu that can deaclear such in Lagos and more so if Buhari wants to order for State of emergency he needs the Senate to approve but unfortunately senate sef no sit down so he has no power too no be military era we dey bros

InvertedHammer:
/
The question is: Is Nigeria still running on colonial (pre-Independence) Constitution?

\

Oracle23:

Did u go to school @all?

Wetin concern Nigeria with 1929 law? Was there a country called nigeria in 1929?

Oga be guided

naptu2:

I agree it needs to be amended, but it's not in the constitution. It's considered an act of the National Assembly. The National Assembly started the process of amending it late last year, but the bill has not yet been passed into law.

Sources of Nigerian law:

1) The Constitution

2) Acts of the national and state assemblies. (Decrees and edicts of military governments are now considered as acts of the state or national assembly)

3) Received English Law (Common Law, Doctrines of Equity, Statutes of General Application/laws made by the colonial government).

4) Judicial Precedent (court judgements).

5) Customary law (including sharia law).

6) Delegated legislation (Administrative agencies' regulations and rulings).

7) Historical, Literary or Formal sources (including latin maxims).

3 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 6:34am On Mar 30, 2020
The pronouncement was not properly thought out
Just like everything else about this crazy government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by jeffizy(m): 6:35am On Mar 30, 2020
Thank you Naptu.
Your threads are always very enlightening.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 6:36am On Mar 30, 2020
InvertedHammer:
/
The question is: Is Nigeria still running on colonial (pre-Independence) Constitution?

\

From my limited knowledge of the law (I might be wrong, as I am no lawyer or legal expert) many colonial laws were incorporated into our post independence legal framework(an infamous example being the laws on homosexual behavior)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by MYGRATEskillz(m): 6:36am On Mar 30, 2020
Op is that quarantine act enshrined in our present constitution. If no, then it's null and void!

4 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by naptu2: 6:36am On Mar 30, 2020
ikorodureporta:
How effective will the lockdown be if people still move from house to house, street to street??

Can they lock everyone in like Environmental sanitation day?? That's the only effective lockdown

Did you witness the 1983, 1985, 1990 and 1993 coups. That is effective lock down. Environmental sanitation is child's play.

2 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by deltateam: 6:37am On Mar 30, 2020
helinues:
Has he done that yet?

States are the one currently dictating their policies regarding this coronavirus palava

So you didn't study the post well because you wanted to comment?

5 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by ProtectMyMoney: 6:37am On Mar 30, 2020
Naptu2

Show it to:

A human rights lawyer, Mr. Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa (SAN),

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by SharpJoe: 6:38am On Mar 30, 2020
We need testing in large amount all over the nation to determine the gravity of things. We need more testing labs in the country. We need a medical treatment procedure like those going on in other countries.

We need protective gears for health workers. We need protective masks for citizens.

Social distancing means nothing without testing and isolating infected ones.

4 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 6:38am On Mar 30, 2020
People no go keep quiet now and respect the order of this yeye president for once.
I no like this president but that doesnt mean I no go respect this particular order.
This is exactly how America became the epicenter of this disease.
Trump gave order for stay at home, social distance, lockdown but they all flouted it.
Moved around like its a thing of pride to distribute the disease. Today, they have highest number of cases.

For once Nigeria, stay locked-down, restrain free and unnecessary movement until this disease is controlled and a possible vaccine is gotten.
Its simple!

5 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 6:40am On Mar 30, 2020
If you check bro bubu speech he had no laws to support himself with that alone is enough to tell him to shut the hell up he should wait till the bill is passed before he considers using the power so till then he can shove his speech down his own throat because I know lawyers that will let him know that bros u know nothing, but truth be told Buhari knows nothing he feels it's still military era so he does what he wants I wonder what his advisers are doing.

naptu2:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by SharpJoe: 6:40am On Mar 30, 2020
To the best of my knowledge, little or no testing is going on in Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Bayelsa and Delta States. Yet most of the National revenues came from this States. The neglect is too much. We are talking of a virus that has taking over 10,000 lives in Italy alone in few months.

We need urgent testing for Covid-19 to know the true magnitude of the spread in the country.

3 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by helinues: 6:40am On Mar 30, 2020
deltateam:

So you didn't study the post well because you wanted to comment?

And you can't see that the op edited (admitted) his post?

Must you quote someone for quoting sake?
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by AmTruth: 6:41am On Mar 30, 2020
If not for the Haters, Nairaland would have been so absolutely nice to learning.

Anyway is good they are here, at least we're learning TOLERANCE.

Op Thanks for the knowledge shared.

God bless Nigeria!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Martinola(m): 6:43am On Mar 30, 2020
naptu2:

You missed yesterday's speech?
What did he mention that the state govts haven't done yet?
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by onyeogalu1(m): 6:43am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:
Hope you know that during that period we were been ruled by the westerns and also the military so it's quit different to democracy, he needs the national assembly of Lagos State to approve and it's only Sanwo-Olu that can deaclear such in Lagos and more so if Buhari wants to order for State of emergency he needs the Senate to approve but unfortunately senate sef no sit down so he has no power too no be military era we dey bros

The quarantine act is still active.

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 6:43am On Mar 30, 2020
naptu2:
1) Does the president have the power to lock down the FCT, Lagos and Ogun states?

Yes he does. (Bear with me, I'm going to tell you the full story).

A friend of mine told me something around a month ago. He joked that these flu pandemics seem to appear every 100 years. There was a similar pandemic in 1720, 1820 and in 1920.

Now, I remember my mother telling me a bit about this and I did my own research. The 1920 pandemic also affected Lagos. There was a quarantine, but some people were negligent in their duty and some people aboard one of the infected ships were able to come ashore. This enabled the Spanish Flu to spread in Lagos and people were taken to the Infectious Diseases Hospital in Ikoyi (I can't remember for sure, but I think she said that the IDH was at the location that Creek Hospital [Military Hospital now occupies on Awolowo Road in Ikoyi).

The Bubonic Plague also affected Lagos later in the 1920s.

These diseases led to the enactment of the Quarantine Act in 1926 (it has been amended a few times).

The Quarantine Act gives the president the power to declare any place within Nigeria or outside Nigeria as an infected place and it gives him the power to take all measures necessary to ensure that dangerous infectious diseases do not spread from that place to any other place in Nigeria.

Here's a link to the Quarantine Act. http://lawsofnigeria.placng.org/laws/Q2.pdf

Some people ask if state governors have the power to lock down their states. The act gives them that power if the president has not yet acted

Furthermore, some people say that the president can not lock down these places because the constitution gives people the right to freedom of movement.

They say that the only way that the president can lock down these places is by declaring a state of emergency. That's not true. Read section 45 (1a) of the constitution:

Here's a link to the constitution: http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

Did u go to school @all?

Wetin concern Nigeria with 1929 law? Was there a country called nigeria in 1929?

Oga be guided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by kingjrofficial(m): 6:43am On Mar 30, 2020
Those who voted this lifeless man are feeling same heat we feeling... Zombies angry

Wannb be Heard√

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by sophia1239(m): 6:43am On Mar 30, 2020
I wonder how much attempt you set to create this type of excellent informative web site. JCB Price
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by adecz: 6:44am On Mar 30, 2020
grin grin

We caught the father of the
COVIK 1-9 virus, red handed,
hiding under bridge at Ojuelegba.

The federal govt must pay us
$1Om in cash before we hand it over
to be interrogated & destroyed. cool

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by kingjrofficial(m): 6:45am On Mar 30, 2020
naptu2:

You missed yesterday's speech?
you mean the prerecorded broadcast? angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Hypocrit: 6:46am On Mar 30, 2020
On citizen right, the constitution on make mention of a restriction a criminal freedom of rights, and that does not apply to our situation presently.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 6:47am On Mar 30, 2020
Bro agreed we all want to be safe but that yeye presidio does not have the power to tell us lock down in Lagos,. Even Sanwo-Olu on the 29 denied trying to do such. we are no longer in Military regime they need the national assembly to approve and also what relief materials have they provided to we the citizens take for example I'm a salary earner who has a baby and a wife at home and salary is yet to be paid, money in the account has been used to stock up the house, so now how do we survive for the next 14 days no light we no go buy fuel? gas go finish won't we cook? now let's leave me alot of people have perishable goods in stock who will give them rebate we need to consider this, westerns planned theirs well but our leaders just do copy and paste we are not up to 200m in this country why not share money to everyone through BVN simple as that. we keep hearing they donated this donated that and where has the 15b gone too abegii we are in a charade of Jokers

PIPnator10:
People no go keep quiet now and respect the order of this yeye president for once.
I no like this president but that doesnt mean I no go respect this particular order.
This is exactly how America became the epicenter of this disease.
Trump gave order for stay at home, social distance, lockdown but they all flouted it.
Moved around like its a thing of pride to distribute the disease. Today, they have highest number of cases.

For once Nigeria, stay locked-down, restrain free and unnecessary movement until this disease is controlled and a possible vaccine is gotten.
Its simple!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by olax02(m): 6:47am On Mar 30, 2020
Even before the dullard speech, Lagos state has been lockdown...so??

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 6:48am On Mar 30, 2020
Quarantine act is different from total Lock down

onyeogalu1:

The quarantine act is still active.

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by mrkings84(m): 6:49am On Mar 30, 2020
Buhari is closing an already closed borders.

Imam of peace said something the other day.... But me won't say anything!!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by anonimi: 6:50am On Mar 30, 2020
helinues:
Has he done that yet?
States are the one currently dictating their policies regarding this coronavirus palava

You mean that you did not watch your political idol's speech yesterday? shocked

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6267651_1510641139934_jpege8dffaed6f52da138b21556e4465e5b5

3 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by onyeogalu1(m): 6:52am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:
Quarantine act is different from total Lock down

Part of the act talk about lock down which could be state, LGA, village or Country.
I guess we need further clarification
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Hypocrit: 6:52am On Mar 30, 2020
I have no issue with what the president did, he was just re-echoing what the various state government has already done, so i don't know why people will have issue with the president on lock down, and at same commend their state government for thesame lock down. I don't really get.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 6:53am On Mar 30, 2020
funmike83:
Why are we like this in nig. When the man didn't talk , you were all shouting , now that he gave directives, na another wahala. We are just too complex to rule in this country

You spoke my mind. Nigerians are the most difficult set of people to satisfy. Always complaining.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US: Release Only Certificate To Atiku; Block CSU From Revealing Gender-Tinubu / Buhari Sends Ministerial List To National Assembly / Osinbajo: We Lost The New Nigeria Battle, Not The War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.