Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,281 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. (55215 Views)

Osinbajo 's Road To Abuja As Vice President: The Untold Story By Olawale Olaleye / The 16 Allegations Raised Against Adesina, AfDB President The US Wants Revisited / CCB Act That Indicts The Suspended CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 6:53am On Mar 30, 2020
Yes agreed bros but Buhari does not have the power to declare in Lagos State
onyeogalu1:

Part of the act talk about lock down which could be state, LGA, village or Country.
I guess we need further clarification

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by teejet: 6:54am On Mar 30, 2020
Thanks jare

God bless you.

Educated illiterates, over to you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 6:55am On Mar 30, 2020
naptu2:

You missed yesterday's speech?

we know you are their boy, you are one of them.

just get tested

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Gandollaar(f): 6:55am On Mar 30, 2020
AmTruth:
If not for the Haters, Nairaland would have been so absolutely nice to learning.

Anyway is good they are here, at least we're learning TOLERANCE.

Op Thanks for the knowledge shared.

God bless Nigeria!!!
Hating here is nothing new. It started pre 2015 and is going round in a vicious cycle.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Eminibaaleomomo: 6:56am On Mar 30, 2020
Did I just see #he can lockdown outside Nigeria? Eeeeeeeh! The power no be here ooooo. Na world president? ABi NA assistant GOD
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by anonimi: 6:56am On Mar 30, 2020
olax02:
Even before the dullard speech, Lagos state has been lockdown...so??

Not only Lagos, some other states as well.

Rivers state, March 27

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11277507_cymera20200328204831_jpegd086629ed25443096f6ac4c391429361

Ebonyi state, March 28

Wisdomkosi:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/11277821_img20200328wa0007_jpeg5de0c99889e62bd38ce4a32a165430b1

Source : http://igberetvnews.com/1345317/covid-19-gov-umahi-tightens-ebonyi-state-borders-visits-different-boundaries-ensure-total-lockdownphotos/

BleedingPen:
kano State Government has ordered the closure of land borders and routes linking the state to other parts of the country with effect from Friday, March 27, to contain the spread of Coronavirus pandemic.‎

Abba Anwar, Chief Press Secretary to the Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje, made the disclosure in a statement on Wednesday in Kano.

Anwar said that movements coming in and out of the state were banned ‎beginning from 12:00 a.m. Friday, March 27, 2020.‎

‎He said: “This includes all kinds of movements through the borders of the state, even those coming to Kano through Domestic Wing of Malam Aminu Kano International Airport will remain at the airport, without getting access into the city.‎

https://m.guardian.ng/news/covid-19-%E2%80%8E-kano-government-orders-closure-of-land-borders/

HenryUbus12345:

Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta on Thursday, announced lockdown of all activities in the state and closure of all borders as the state government intensified efforts to make the state safe from Coronavirus pandemic.

In a broadcast in Asaba, the third in one week, the governor, who is the Chairman of the Central Committee on Managing and Containing the Coronavirus Pandemic in Delta, stated that the lockdown would be effective from Wednesday, while the closure of borders and other entry points into the state would commence at 6 a.m. on Sunday.

He also ordered the closure of Asaba airports to traffic from 6 p.m. on Friday, and explained that the committee took the far reaching decisions to further ensure that people in the state were safe.

He said: "As promised, we have continued to monitor and review developments concerning this global pandemic on a daily, if not hourly basis.

``Although there has been no confirmed case in Delta, we deemed it fit to take further measures to avert any outbreak or contain its spread if it occurs.

"Consequently, after a meeting with the Central Committee on Managing/Containing the Coronavirus Pandemic headed by me, several far-reaching decisions were made and I hereby order that the Asaba airport should be closed to traffic effective from Friday, March 27, 2020 at 6 p.m.

"All land borders into and out of Delta are to be shut effective 6 a.m. on Sunday, March 29, 2020.

"All businesses - malls, supermarkets, markets and shops - are to close from Wednesday, April 1, 2020.

"All residents in the State are to stay at home from Wednesday, April 1, 2020.

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by onyeogalu1(m): 6:59am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:

Ok.
Thanks for sharing your view. I guess with time we will get clarification
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by anonimi: 6:59am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:

Because Lagos is not part of the Fulani Republic of Naijeriya, FRN
Or because Thiefnuibu is still asking where are the cows?
Na which one you want choose?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4110070_images64_jpeg4a52841c710b71a7701099ad1c35f02e

www.nairaland.com/attachments/9827523_img20190714144757edit_jpegb2daddd293389a9f46d444781678f1bb

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Gandollaar(f): 6:59am On Mar 30, 2020
onyeogalu1:

Part of the act talk about lock down which could be state, LGA, village or Country.
I guess we need further clarification
Part of that act also asked to make provision for the welfare of those you lock down or quarantine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by 27Pushing30: 6:59am On Mar 30, 2020
Erediauwa:
Even though I don't like him, Baba lifeless have every right to lock down any State or location within the country that might cause threat to lives and properties to the citizens...

But the "Push and Start" General always wait for orders from his cabals before exercising his power as the number one man.

Jide Sanwo-Olu knows that if he had to wait for General M.Buhari, (rtd) Lagos State would have been recording more deaths than Italy and France put together.

Push and start? You be Mumu o ROTFLLLLLLLLLL
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by adenigga(m): 7:00am On Mar 30, 2020
Openbusiness:
undecided bullshit! Some of us are educated enough to know that during a national crisis or emergency, the president cannot take away the constitutionally guaranteed fundamental rights of freedom of movement and freedom of association without the approval of the Senate of the federal republic of Nigeria. Do you think the Senate exists just to pass budget and buy 2020 toyota Camry? Their primary function and reason for existence is for such situations like this. Buhari cannot win in court in a sane democratic countries like America and Europe, they would have sued him and a court would have barred the implementation of his order for the ban. But no worries, we know Buhari is a dictator and Nigeria is a banana republic, so carry on with your mad abuse of power, no wahala grin

Bless you Bro!

People will not talk when they supposed to talk. Those stupid members of National House of Assembly have the gut to take delivery of luxurious items (Toyota Camry 2020 models) @ this period of pandemic corona virus, it shows that our followership is faulty for us not being able to raise our voices against this disillusioned leadership.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by anonimi: 7:00am On Mar 30, 2020

3 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by sapientia(m): 7:02am On Mar 30, 2020
Did Naptu just sidelined our constitution to talk of 1926 Act?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by anonimi: 7:02am On Mar 30, 2020
adenigga:
Bless you Bro!
People will not talk when they supposed to talk. Those stupid members of National House of Assembly have the gut to take delivery of luxurious items (Toyota Camry 2020 models) @ this period of pandemic corona virus, it shows that our followership is faulty for us not being able to raise our voices against this disillusioned leadership.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3626665_hilarious_jpeg1ecdcdffc482a4c4b104159dc2f70be2

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2174510_nigeriansmobmentality_jpegd710c25fa577a4f0fb35da579ff1eb3d

2 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by aperture11: 7:03am On Mar 30, 2020
I agree that any process that safeguards life is welcomed.
Our laws were adopted from colonial era laws.

However, when was the last time the Quarantine Act amended?

From Naptu2 write-up, that seem like 1954, please enlighten me we didn't have states then and the Naija wasn't to be in use for almost 20years after. Where did the N200 penalty come from?

Please lawyers, enlighten me.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by anonimi: 7:03am On Mar 30, 2020
sapientia:
Did Naptu just sidelined our constitution to talk of 1926 Act?

Do you know if our 1999 Constitution, as amended, annul the pre-existing Act?
Do you know

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3346292_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by MrSly(m): 7:08am On Mar 30, 2020
naptu2:
1) Does the president have the power to lock down the FCT, Lagos and Ogun states?

Yes he does. (Bear with me, I'm going to tell you the full story).

A friend of mine told me something around a month ago. He joked that these flu pandemics seem to appear every 100 years. There was a similar pandemic in 1720, 1820 and in 1920.

Now, I remember my mother telling me a bit about this and I did my own research. The 1920 pandemic also affected Lagos. There was a quarantine, but some people were negligent in their duty and some people aboard one of the infected ships were able to come ashore. This enabled the Spanish Flu to spread in Lagos and people were taken to the Infectious Diseases Hospital in Ikoyi (I can't remember for sure, but I think she said that the IDH was at the location that Creek Hospital [Military Hospital now occupies on Awolowo Road in Ikoyi).

The Bubonic Plague also affected Lagos later in the 1920s.

These diseases led to the enactment of the Quarantine Act in 1926 (it has been amended a few times).

The Quarantine Act gives the president the power to declare any place within Nigeria or outside Nigeria as an infected place and it gives him the power to take all measures necessary to ensure that dangerous infectious diseases do not spread from that place to any other place in Nigeria.

Here's a link to the Quarantine Act. http://lawsofnigeria.placng.org/laws/Q2.pdf

Some people ask if state governors have the power to lock down their states. The act gives them that power if the president has not yet acted

Furthermore, some people say that the president can not lock down these places because the constitution gives people the right to freedom of movement.

They say that the only way that the president can lock down these places is by declaring a state of emergency. That's not true. Read section 45 (1a) of the constitution:

Here's a link to the constitution: http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

Thanks a bunch. This kind of post is hard to come by in this forum. It had always been snake this snake that, Davido chioma this and that, Bob risky's new breast and all that. Traffic must flow. No more enlightenment articles.

3 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by egorov(m): 7:11am On Mar 30, 2020
Oracle23:

Did u go to school @all?

Wetin concern Nigeria with 1929 law? Was there a country called nigeria in 1929?

Oga be guided
You should be guided. As a matter of fact, Nigeria (Niger area) came about in 1914

4 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Sheuns(m): 7:12am On Mar 30, 2020
Do we really need to talk about if it’s constitutional or not right now? What’s our problem as a people sef. When there was no directives we were all screaming, now that there’s a stay home we are saying it’s illegal. The advanced democracy you’re comparing us to, did they not lock down their country? Did the citizens take anyone to court? We are just damn troublesome in this country. If dem born anyone well make e waka anyhow for the places under lock down, you’ll know say khaki no be leather. Problematic people that’s who we are.

2 Likes

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 7:15am On Mar 30, 2020
naptu2:
1) Does the president have the power to lock down the FCT, Lagos and Ogun states?

Yes he does. (Bear with me, I'm going to tell you the full story).

A friend of mine told me something around a month ago. He joked that these flu pandemics seem to appear every 100 years. There was a similar pandemic in 1720, 1820 and in 1920.

Now, I remember my mother telling me a bit about this and I did my own research. The 1920 pandemic also affected Lagos. There was a quarantine, but some people were negligent in their duty and some people aboard one of the infected ships were able to come ashore. This enabled the Spanish Flu to spread in Lagos and people were taken to the Infectious Diseases Hospital in Ikoyi (I can't remember for sure, but I think she said that the IDH was at the location that Creek Hospital [Military Hospital now occupies on Awolowo Road in Ikoyi).

The Bubonic Plague also affected Lagos later in the 1920s.

These diseases led to the enactment of the Quarantine Act in 1926 (it has been amended a few times).

The Quarantine Act gives the president the power to declare any place within Nigeria or outside Nigeria as an infected place and it gives him the power to take all measures necessary to ensure that dangerous infectious diseases do not spread from that place to any other place in Nigeria.

Here's a link to the Quarantine Act. http://lawsofnigeria.placng.org/laws/Q2.pdf

Some people ask if state governors have the power to lock down their states. The act gives them that power if the president has not yet acted

Furthermore, some people say that the president can not lock down these places because the constitution gives people the right to freedom of movement.

They say that the only way that the president can lock down these places is by declaring a state of emergency. That's not true. Read section 45 (1a) of the constitution:

Here's a link to the constitution: http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm
how old is your mother Biko? How could she have been a sentient being in 1920 and still alive today ? I don’t believe this story mahn. The Spanish flu did not affect Africa. It was a Europe thing.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Maross(m): 7:16am On Mar 30, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by kiddapunk: 7:16am On Mar 30, 2020
Erediauwa:
Even though I don't like him, Baba lifeless have every right to lock down any State or location within the country that might cause threat to lives and properties to the citizens...

But the "Push and Start" General always wait for orders from his cabals before exercising his power as the number one man.

Jide Sanwo-Olu knows that if he had to wait for General M.Buhari, (rtd) Lagos State would have been recording more deaths than Italy and France put together.
i guess you're a member of the cabal to know all these
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Shattuck(m): 7:17am On Mar 30, 2020
if the president has no constitutional right to lock down this states,then he does not have the right to do that,a President should be very aware of the right channels to take in enforcement of a lock down,I see a lot of people saying it doesn't matter because he is doing it for the right reason,remember this is Nigeria where the rule of law is hardly followed in the future somebody else might begin to abuse this unconstitutional privilege for political gains.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Allsingles: 7:19am On Mar 30, 2020
Let him lock it down for the good of everyone.
My major concerns is the cost of food items which is very bad.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by naptu2: 7:19am On Mar 30, 2020
slyfoxxjoe:
how old is your mother Biko? How could she have been a sentient being in 1920 and still alive today ? I don’t believe this story mahn. The Spanish flu did not affect Africa. It was a Europe thing.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Whether you believe it or not is completely irrelevant. What matters is historical fact.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0021909615587367?journalCode=jasa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 7:20am On Mar 30, 2020
Bros if only our law makers abide by the same law they make it will have been extremely nice but nope they don't so it's disheartening they need each state national assembly and governor to approve not president saying lock down on their behalf even if he wants to by pass them to declare state of emergency he needs the Senate is all am saying sir.
anonimi:

Because Lagos is not part of the Fulani Republic of Naijeriya, FRN
Or because Thiefnuibu is still asking where are the cows?
Na which one you want choose?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4110070_images64_jpeg4a52841c710b71a7701099ad1c35f02e

www.nairaland.com/attachments/9827523_img20190714144757edit_jpegb2daddd293389a9f46d444781678f1bb
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 7:20am On Mar 30, 2020
Yes boss
onyeogalu1:

Ok.
Thanks for sharing your view. I guess with time we will get clarification
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Galaticos444: 7:21am On Mar 30, 2020
funmike83:
Why are we like this in nig. When the man didn't talk , you were all shouting , now that he gave directives, na another wahala. We are just too complex to rule in this country
wot took him so long if he actually knows wot he's doing,d governor of Lagos acted almost immediately cos he knows d implication of delay action
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 7:21am On Mar 30, 2020
Erediauwa:

Sanwo Olu and Lagos state are not doing anything without the president's knowledge, approval and understanding regarding covid, they've been coordinating with NCDC, funding and swapping guidelines, policies and regulations, besides, you just read what the OP posted, the states have their own constitutional rights to act on their own.

I'm glad for one thing though, the president waited for a credible briefing from NCDC and the folks he put in place to fight the virus before opening his mouth instead of jumping in front of the microphone, this is what we expect from good and sensible leaders.

Their coordination is the reason why you and your family are not sick, infected or dead. When many of you speak, we see nothing but hatred instead of common sense and genuine concerns.

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Allsingles: 7:22am On Mar 30, 2020
adenigga:

Bless you Bro!

Nigeria doesn't have leaders.
We only have politicians who are the original enemy of the commoners.

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 7:22am On Mar 30, 2020
anonimi:

Was this necessary

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3043814_facebook20151105005801_jpeg1027baba4e35e791f3661e85d47d5487

so he did in 2014, he told everyone the old man is the Messiah, he has been elevated driving nice cars, but see us here.

why not start organizing evening classes for the old man before he ruins every thing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US: Release Only Certificate To Atiku; Block CSU From Revealing Gender-Tinubu / Buhari Sends Ministerial List To National Assembly / Osinbajo: We Lost The New Nigeria Battle, Not The War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.