Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. (55196 Views)

Osinbajo 's Road To Abuja As Vice President: The Untold Story By Olawale Olaleye / The 16 Allegations Raised Against Adesina, AfDB President The US Wants Revisited / CCB Act That Indicts The Suspended CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by FancyDaddy: 9:11am On Mar 30, 2020
idealogical:

My point is, you have to be alive to eat food, dead people can not eat food.

Obey and follow safety instructions first because if you don't, you will get infected, you will infect your family and possibly die.

Stay safe and stay alive first.

Basically Nigerians need 2 things simultaneously. And the PMB mentioned 1. That is why he failed.
1 Sustainablility. Stock piling**. Stock up then
2. Stay at home.

You are not intelligent enough to understand sequence.

If you stock up, you don't have reason going out.
No one stays indoors with empty stomach. That is the practical truth.

What if you have to stay home for 1 month!

Secondly you don't have kids who eat bits by bit..many times daily not even yourself. You can't imagine keeping kids hungry at home for 3 days! Are you insane!?

But you won't understand because You sound like an half brain person. You don't need not be in this post. Do yourself good and see a Psychiatrist and get admittted.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by lekebanks: 9:12am On Mar 30, 2020
OP when was this Act amended?

By 27th May 1926, Nigeria was not a sovereign 'country' but a British colony administered mainly from Britain by the Queen of England not 'President'. The Queen ruled Nigeria through her Governors General and not any 'Governor'. Nigeria had no states then but had administrative protectorates which were governed directly or indirectly by force. So how does this Act apply under our present democratic administration?

The Naira was also not in use in Nigeria as at the date of this Act.

Times have long changed and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) remains the Supreme Law which must by followed in imposing any restriction of movement in Nigeria.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 9:13am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:
Bro don't be an asshole in my comment to you I stated that I stand to be corrected which simply means I can make mistakes and we can correct each not u acting me as if u were sent by Buhari take your stupidity away from me and get yourself a life it's Monday

Why ask me that question when the answer to your question is the topic itself on the first page?

The only way to stand corrected is if you have constitutional proof to show us, but you don't have anything apart fro your own feelings and personal opinion.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 9:14am On Mar 30, 2020
Agreed but I see you have a way with words I told you I stand to be corrected so I expected you to be knowledgeable enough not to use polite insult on someone who told you such words nobody is confusing and misleading anyone why don't you go ahead and Tackle the SAN at least he was giving that title because he knows his job well I read the article and read his and I picked my opinion out of it how is that a crime kindly don't use polite Insult on me because I openly apologized to you that if I have used any form of insultive words that I was sorry so why still use such words pls stop it
idealogical:

The law is the law regardless of the when and how it was created, it's still the law of the land until it's repealed or amended.

Stop confusing and misleading yourself.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Lordave: 9:15am On Mar 30, 2020
Gazzy88:
Democracy isn't for a terrible country like Nigeria. We need communism like China. You will see fools who can't even control their wives at home lambasting the president, thinking they have opinions. Most of them can't lead their family but they will be the first to talk down govt efforts. We require serious iron hand for things to get right in Nigeria. We need a commando-style of leadership. Nigerians are lawless people which is the reasons we have lawless leaders. Remember, today leaders were once citizens before.
Can the President control his wife?
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 9:18am On Mar 30, 2020
Ok thanks for the enlighten sometimes we need to question this Senior Lawyers

HomorBj:

Sorry for quoting u,but this cannot be likened to a state of emergency..It hasn’t reached that stage yet,and the President as the GCFR is empowered by existing laws of the constitution to protect the citizens even if it has to be at the detriment of everyone
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Gustavofringe: 9:18am On Mar 30, 2020
I can remember some Nigerians were complaining bitterly that the president has not taken any proactive action to reduce the spread of the covid 19. The man has decided to act and the cry babies are out from their caves to shout dictatorship. angry angry
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by FancyDaddy: 9:21am On Mar 30, 2020
In Application of law, rule of law must be observed and considered.

Buhari, who have failed to speak up after a long inept silence, has failed again.

Basically Nigerians need 2 things simultaneously. And the PMB mentioned 1. That is why he failed.
1 Sustainablility. Stock piling**. Stock up then
2. Stay at home.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Lordave: 9:23am On Mar 30, 2020
idealogical:

The law is the law regardless of when and how it was created, it's still the law of the land until it's repealed or amended.

Stop confusing and misleading yourself.
Is that act/law enshrined in the 1999 constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 9:27am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:
Agreed but I see you have a way with words I told you I stand to be corrected so I expected you to be knowledgeable enough not to use polite insult on someone who told you such words nobody is confusing and misleading anyone why don't you go ahead and Tackle the SAN at least he was giving that title because he knows his job well I read the article and read his and I picked my opinion out of it how is that a crime kindly don't use polite Insult on me because I openly apologized to you that if I have used any form of insultive words that I was sorry so why still use such words pls stop it

I don't have to tackle the SAN, you brought up the san and his factless comment, the fact that he is a SAN doesn't mean he's right regarding this issue because he's flat out wrong, he must have made the pronouncement before reading and understanding the constitution regarding this issue.

There is no need to keep arguing over nothing, the main issue here is the Nigerian constitution, let us read and understate whats it.

I actually did not insult you in any way and if I did, I'm sorry.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 9:31am On Mar 30, 2020
You right and we cool thanks for the enlighten bro have a good lock down period
idealogical:

I don't have to tackle the SAN, you brought up the san and his factless comment, the fact that he is a SAN doesn't mean he's right regarding this issue because he's flat out wrong, he must have made the pronouncement before reading and understanding the constitution regarding this issue.

There is no need to keep arguing over nothing, the main issue here is the Nigerian constitution, let us read and understate whats it.

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:
Bro agreed we all want to be safe but that yeye presidio does not have the power to tell us lock down in Lagos,. Even Sanwo-Olu on the 29 denied trying to do such. we are no longer in Military regime they need the national assembly to approve and also what relief materials have they provided to we the citizens take for example I'm a salary earner who has a baby and a wife at home and salary is yet to be paid, money in the account has been used to stock up the house, so now how do we survive for the next 14 days no light we no go buy fuel? gas go finish won't we cook? now let's leave me alot of people have perishable goods in stock who will give them rebate we need to consider this, westerns planned theirs well but our leaders just do copy and paste we are not up to 200m in this country why not share money to everyone through BVN simple as that. we keep hearing they donated this donated that and where has the 15b gone too abegii we are in a charade of Jokers

I do understand your case but trust me on this, its all gonna be fine soon.
The world will collectively overcome this.
I have to tell you too, lockdown doesnt mean you wouldnt step out of your house.
I am in a country where we are currently observing a lockdown and the lockdown has been extended to another 28days (not fun).
Here is how it happens, with the lockdown, you are free to go to the nearest shop around you to get your essentials and go back to the house immediately. No hanging around/about at the pub or club. Lockdown means, you can only go out for the most immediate/important thing.
Trust me, this virus is real. Last night while I was in my sitting room, I heard ambulance siren move past my area.
I knew what that means, probably another case! You dont need that feeling of knowing a Covid case may be around your area!
Please lets all respect the lockdown. Gradually we will over this!
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Lordave: 9:32am On Mar 30, 2020
idealogical:

I ask again, the law you and the OP quoted is it enshrined in the 1999 Constitution of The Federal Republic of Nigeria as Amended?

You have been singing the “the constitution, the constitution” all over this thread yet you haven’t proven where the constitution accommodates the Quaratine Act of 1926.

Can’t you just do that and end all this back and forth argument?
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Rebelutionary: 9:34am On Mar 30, 2020
ikorodureporta:
How effective will the lockdown be if people still move from house to house, street to street??

Can they lock everyone in like Environmental sanitation day?? That's the only effective lockdown
A state governor is at liberty to declare a curfew which does what you're asking but "tying up" everyone at home with the level of hardship a huge mass of Nigerians are experiencing will breed a revolt and the government can't afford that now!
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 9:40am On Mar 30, 2020
Lordave:
Is that act/law enshrined in the 1999 constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria?

It still is, unless you have proof to show that it's been repealed or amended.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 9:42am On Mar 30, 2020
anonimi:

grin grin

We do our objectives a lot of harm by raising flimsy shortcomings rather than the big issues.
#Nuff_Said
your objectives? hmmm see grammar, nah you kill the writer of brighter grammar huh?
shot fired!!!

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by FancyDaddy: 9:44am On Mar 30, 2020
Lordave:

No it is Not.
Bubu does not have the interest of the people at mind.

Excecutive actions must encompass all round needs before it can be effective. While putting into consideration the need of the people being governed

Sickery of democracy is observed in this administration.

Failure of the president to effectively and efficiently secure the life of Nigerians earlier enough.

First the leader of the country fail to remember the havoc done by Ebola and how it entered Nigeria through the Airport. The experience which would have prepared Nigeria to know that prevention could have been better than cure. Prompt decision to close their international boarders like a month ago to prevent the COVID-19 initial penetration would have been the super move by FG.

Now that the COVID-19 is in the country,

Their game plan should be first Sustain the people and help them to stay at home. Nigerians are not stupid. They want to prevent the spread. FG should sit back and think about how the people won't starve while staying at home.

Then FG intervention to help people stock pile and sit at home is the next point of action.

Then PMB broke silence.
He did not make the least point to help Nigerians in handling the situation. Well. FG never ordered for medical supplies. Most gotten was through donations from well meaning people that God blessed with good heart.

He failed again. PMB never mentioned how the people get reimbursed of stipends to get basic food to stock and stay home.

He just said stay at home?! That is absurd.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 9:51am On Mar 30, 2020
Lordave:
I ask again, the law you and the OP quoted is it enshrined in the 1999 Constitution of The Federal Republic of Nigeria as Amended?

You have been singing the “the constitution, the constitution” all over this thread yet you haven’t proven where the constitution accommodates the Quaratine Act of 1926.

Can’t you just do that and end all this back and forth argument?

The 1926 law is still the law of the land and the fact that it was established in 1926 doesn't mean it's still not the law of the land and for it not to be, it must be repealed or amended which is at this very second is yet to be done.

Yes, it's still part of the Nigerian constitution.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by emperor863(m): 9:52am On Mar 30, 2020
funmike83:
Why are we like this in nig. When the man didn't talk , you were all shouting , now that he gave directives, na another wahala. We are just too complex to rule in this country

It is not complexity of the country, it is rather an abnormal hatred from the quarters of those that have not recovered from the 2015 election tsunami. Naturally, they hope that things get really bad as in very bad in the country just so for them to prove that the voters that brought the government on board did bad to Nigeria.

Alas, it will remain a wishful thinking. Whatever happens, God has taken control of this corona thing.

Go online and compare global situation reports, you'd be thankful that the country has only one fatality when compared to other country. Another reason haters are really angry since they hope that the case of Nigeria should be like that of Spain and Italy but it shall not happen.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by infogeneral: 9:58am On Mar 30, 2020
This is a national emergency and people are talking about legality. I don't care if Bihari has the power or not, let's just make the right decision to save humanity.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 30, 2020
Has anyone noticed at 6pm the amount of bats that fly off into the sunset. We never had bats before growing up sure once in a while you will see one but nowadays it’s terrible.

Do not consume fruits from where they are resident
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 10:39am On Mar 30, 2020
Will do Thanks
PIPnator10:

I do understand your case but trust me on this, its all gonna be fine soon.
The world will collectively overcome this.
I have to tell you too, lockdown doesnt mean you wouldnt step out of your house.
I am in a country where we are currently observing a lockdown and the lockdown has been extended to another 28days (not fun).
Here is how it happens, with the lockdown, you are free to go to the nearest shop around you to get your essentials and go back to the house immediately. No hanging around/about at the pub or club. Lockdown means, you can only go out for the most immediate/important thing.
Trust me, this virus is real. Last night while I was in my sitting room, I heard ambulance siren move past my area.
I knew what that means, probably another case! You dont need that feeling of knowing a Covid case may be around your area!
Please lets all respect the lockdown. Gradually we will over this!

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Cotton(m): 10:39am On Mar 30, 2020
koffsman:
Hope you know that during that period we were been ruled by the westerns and also the military so it's quit different to democracy, he needs the national assembly of Lagos State to approve and it's only Sanwo-Olu that can deaclear such in Lagos and more so if Buhari wants to order for State of emergency he needs the Senate to approve but unfortunately senate sef no sit down so he has no power too no be military era we dey bros
Oga, you go school so? Somebody has taken pains to show you the constitution and the powers available and you are still typing shit. Just reread what you typed? How can Nigeria progress with youths spouting this crap?
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by koffsman(m): 10:39am On Mar 30, 2020
You are very very stupid
Cotton:
Oga, you go school so? Somebody has taken pains to show you the constitution and the powers available and you are still typing shit. Just reread what you typed? How can Nigeria progress with youths spouting this crap?

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by ccollins(m): 10:46am On Mar 30, 2020
idealogical:

The constitution does.

The judiciary or any other arm of government can not overrule the Nigeran constitution because the constitution is the bedrock and safety valve in any democracy. The judiciary's job is to defend and interpret the constitution, not to throw out the constitution or amend the constitution based on their own reasonings.

You can not in one breath champion and defend democracy while in another breath blame the president for doing exactly what the constitution asked him to do.

Any act that the constitution sanctions can not be illicit, you are not making any sense.
you haven't made a relevant rejoinder here,my unassailable fortiori still remains that with conceding to the fact that the judiciary interprets laws.it is a flurry of expose to note that the powers of the judiciary is unlimited in affairs in our democratic corpus juris whether the proprietary or impropriety of the executive/presidency actions is unambiguous. Look at section 6 (6) of the 1999 constition. The court still has the inherent, innate powers to determine the validity or necessary steps a government can make even before the presidency can make that step in relation to sacrosanct issues on human rights. I place reliance on this proviso of s.6 (b) of the 1999 Constitution
6) The judicial powers vested in accordance with the foregoing provisions of this section-

(a) shall extend, notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Constitution, to all inherent powers and sanctions of a court of law;

(b) shall extend to all matters between persons. or between government or authority and to any person in Nigeria, and to all actions and proceedings relating thereto, for the detennination of any question as to the civil rights and obligations of that person
Nigeria is a member states of the African union who adopted a grundnorm of African charter on human rights which is binding, vivid, incontrovertible and rooted like the rock of gilbatrar in Nigeria. You can like a military dictator oust the valid jurisdiction of the court compass to determine if your order is legal or illegal.that's ouster clauses which is not justifiable in a democratic setting.I say this with respect even to our laws I.e quarantine act of 1920 and public health safety act.it is hornbook law that where a law contradicts the en fons origo that is to say our constitution. That law shall be invalid to the extent of its contradiction
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 11:06am On Mar 30, 2020
ccollins:
you haven't made a relevant rejoinder here,my unassailable fortiori still remains that with conceding to the fact that the judiciary interprets laws.it is a flurry of expose to note that the powers of the judiciary is unlimited in affairs in our democratic corpus juris whether the proprietary or impropriety of the executive/presidency actions is unambiguous. Look at section 6 (6) of the 1999 constition. The court still has the inherent, innate powers to determine the validity or necessary steps a government can make even before the presidency can make that step in relation to sacrosanct issues on human rights. I place reliance on this proviso of s.6 (b) of the 1999 Constitution
6) The judicial powers vested in accordance with the foregoing provisions of this section-

(a) shall extend, notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Constitution, to all inherent powers and sanctions of a court of law;

(b) shall extend to all matters between persons. or between government or authority and to any person in Nigeria, and to all actions and proceedings relating thereto, for the detennination of any question as to the civil rights and obligations of that person
Nigeria is a member states of the African union who adopted a grundnorm of African charter on human rights which is binding, vivid, incontrovertible and rooted like the rock of gilbatrar in Nigeria. You can like a military dictator oust the valid jurisdiction of the court compass to determine if your order is legal or illegal.that's ouster clauses which is not justifiable in a democratic setting.I say this with respect even to our laws I.e quarantine act of 1920 and public health safety act.it is hornbook law that where a law contradicts the en fons origo that is to say our constitution. That law shall be invalid to the extent of its contradiction

Stop wasting your time trying to educate me per the functions of the judiciary because I know what they do and what their duties are, you are not saying anything new.

Let's focus on the issue at hand.

The judiciary interprets the constitution and laws that are challenged before the judiciary, but the same judiciary can not create or amend it's own different laws and constitution.

Based on the constitution and what the president did, the judiciary can not fault the President for doing what the constitution mandated him to do.

If you are going to speak for the judiciary and the constitution, feel free to highlight the relevant section/s of the constitution the president violated.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by idealogical: 11:15am On Mar 30, 2020
Cotton:

I weak o.

They don't read or even care about facts, they just keep going on and on with their own baseless opinion and sentiments.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by oyebanji(m): 11:28am On Mar 30, 2020
Be shouting he no get right up an dan.
When the thing catch you, you go know say u no get right!

1 Like

Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by brightalo1010: 11:31am On Mar 30, 2020
helinues:

Noted. Thanks
not only noted go and edit the misleading comment too. This shows how must of us argues without facts.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Chatbot1234: 11:53am On Mar 30, 2020
naptu2:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Whether you believe it or not is completely irrelevant. What matters is historical fact.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0021909615587367?journalCode=jasa

this country is a mess because everything to them is politics.
thanks for your time always, i appreciate.
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 12:00pm On Mar 30, 2020
egorov:

You should be guided. As a matter of fact, Nigeria (Niger area) came about in 1914

So how does a 1929 law have effects in Nigeria in 2020 after we have written our new constitution in 1960 and re-wrote a new one in 1979?
Re: The Act That Gives The President The Power To Lock Down Lagos, Ogun & FCT. by Nobody: 12:01pm On Mar 30, 2020
harveygordon:

Nigeria has been existing since 1914.

Yes.

But we dont use the 1914 constitution anymore.

We did a new constitution in 1960 and 1979.

Bring links to this 1929 info as regards the 1979 and 1999 constitution as amended.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Did Amaechi Visit APC Chairman, Adamu, With Bags Of Cash? - Fact Check (Photo) / Buhari Unveiled A Kitchen & Store-Room Cabinet Of 100% Northern Males - Egbejumi / US: Release Only Certificate To Atiku; Block CSU From Revealing Gender-Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.