Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,721 members, 7,824,051 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires (43313 Views)

How I Pay My Rent / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time / My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by sorepco(m): 11:28am On Apr 02, 2020
But he is right. Your tenancy expires on March 2020

TheGiftedOne:
Sue the illiterate. After he appears in court more than once, he'll come back to his senses
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by luluman: 11:28am On Apr 02, 2020
carbon1224:

Your rent expires 17/03/2020 and he is correct and there is more to this. That’s exactly 12month
17 March is not up to 12 months.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by waldigit: 11:28am On Apr 02, 2020
brownsugardr:
My Landlord Is Intimidating Me And Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires

I paid my house rent for one full year on 18/04/2019. My rent is due to expire on 17/04/2020.

But my Landlord is insisting it expired on 17/03/2020. Which is Eleven months. I have tried explaining to him but he wants to lock me out unless I pay immediately.

Please how do I get redress.

If you dont have lawyer fee, report him in the nearest mediation center if you in Lagos or similar one where you reside.
But from now on be gathering you documentary evidences against him. Record him when you talk with him on phone, video him if he comes to intimidate you in your house, you never know you may need all that to seek redress someday.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Bigcowhorn: 11:28am On Apr 02, 2020
carbon1224:

Your rent expires 17/03/2020 and he is correct and there is more to this. That’s exactly 12month

Even so, he has a period of grace before he should move
At least 3 months according to Lagos Laws

I'm a landlord in 2 states and speak from bitter experience
Some of those bastards take a year to get out of my life

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Yewandequeen(f): 11:29am On Apr 02, 2020
lastclaire4:

No you are wrong. The rent should expire a day to the anniversary. For example you pay for rent on the ist of January 2019 the anniversary is ist of January 2020 right? Then the rent should expire on the 31st of December 2019.
exactly ure very right.
Tenancy expires the eve date of the previous payment.
Attached is an example

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by luluman: 11:29am On Apr 02, 2020
femi4:
you don't know maths

Your landlord is correct, April to March = 12 months
April to April =13months
If you know Maths then use your maths to explain for her to understand now.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:29am On Apr 02, 2020
Ed12:

January to December makes a year.

And not January to January!

1st January to 31st December makes a year

And not 1st January to 1st December
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by adefund(m): 11:30am On Apr 02, 2020
Sometime those who you called illiterates have best weapon to fight and defend themselves when its comes to a situation like this, do you know that your landlord was correct on the date of expiration, if its were to be I, I will make sure your rent start on the 1st of may and expired on the 31st of April to avoid conflict of interest .
Come to think of this, you start new year on the 1st of January why not say you will end the year on the 30th of January but a good accounting student will understand better. Always settled issue with your landlord because if he sent you parking then you are on your own cos the man you called illiterate will just issued one notice of eviction and filled it to fight you at the court of law. Iree ooo
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by miksonics(m): 11:30am On Apr 02, 2020
Olodo people if his last payment was March he has to use it up and make another payment another year cycle for another 12month, it expired March but he paid for March making it end April for renewal
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by searchng4love: 11:30am On Apr 02, 2020
brownsugardr:

I paid my house rent for one full year on 18/04/2019. My rent is due to expire on 17/04/2020.

But my Landlord is insisting it expired on 17/03/2020. Which is Eleven months. I have tried explaining to him but he wants to lock me out unless I pay immediately.

Right to Valid Quit Notice Before Eviction
As a tenant, your landlord is not legally empowered to throw you or your valuables out of his/her property without a valid notice to quit the property.

Before your landlord can get you to quit his/her property, there must be strict compliance with the Recovery of Premises Law and it has to be relevant. Your tenant rights makes you entitled to this.

According to the Recovery of Premises Law, a valid Quit Notice (Notice to Quit) must be written and served on you before your landlord can terminate your tenancy. The law is very clear on this.

The duration of the Quit Notice varies according to the conditions of your tenancy as seen below:

A one-year (or above) tenancy will require at least a notice of 6 months
A one-month tenancy will require a minimum notice of one month
A one-week tenancy will require a minimum notice of one week
It is important to add here that you and the landlord can agree on a totally different duration for the quit notice in the written agreement. What this means, for instance, is that despite the fact that the law stipulates that your landlord should give you a notice of 6 months to quit a tenancy of one year, it can be reduced to a month or a week’s notice through the written and signed agreement.

Real estate experts have repeatedly emphasised the need to go through the agreement with a property lawyer before you append your signature to a tenancy agreement. The real estate space is replete with stories of tenants like you who signed a tenancy agreement to be evicted without a ‘Notice to Quit’ without realising the full implication of what they were signing.

Never forget that the law does not care to know if you understood what you were signing or not. In law, this is known as ‘ignorantia legis non excuse‘ (ignorance of the law is no excuse). If you sign a legal agreement that limits your rights, you will be bound by the same agreement. Under the law, this is known as ‘volenti non fit injuria.’
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by cana882(m): 11:30am On Apr 02, 2020
Alvin007:

It's 6 months for annual tenancy.. 6 months notice of eviction.
I see a lot of peeps here do not know much about tenancy/lease agreements. In such tenancy agreements, a calendar year equates 11months, and not 12months.
Op, your landlord is right.
if tenancy is valid for 11 months according to your explanation, then subsequent renewal of rent will always be a month short. E.g I paid my first rent on 20 January, 2010; then the next will be, according to your explanation, on 20th December, 2011; next on 20th November, 2012; and in 2021, I would have paid for 12 years even if I stayed for 11 years. That’s a whole year rent cash gone.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Arkmanbuddy(m): 11:31am On Apr 02, 2020
Sue is ass! Pure and simple.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by tyup(m): 11:32am On Apr 02, 2020
Bluehill1051:
Olodo! Why haven't you been celebrating your birthday one month earlier. Fool.
I see too many foolish people here on nairaland these days

Lol

take it easy bro grin
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Kfed4ril(m): 11:33am On Apr 02, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Even after you rent expires, you are entitled to six months without pay
Na why people like you no fit build house.
You just want to stay in s house for free not minding that the landlord might have taken a loan to build it, or the fact that the building is the landlords only source of income, you just want free house, wicked people.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by hybridblood07(m): 11:34am On Apr 02, 2020
In addition, those landlord have no fear of God. The way they treat their tenants ehn, yoylk pity them. Most of them depend on rent payment before they can survive.
oruhobinna:

Exactly, sue him.. Some landlords are just overly annoying and condescending
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by omorttee4u(m): 11:34am On Apr 02, 2020
Vortex369:

Your Landlord is right, and you are wrong.

18/4/2019 to 17/3/2020 is exactly 12 months.

Let me stop reading. Before I kept coming across unverified thought. Your calculation is wrong. Pls count again.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by MrSly(m): 11:34am On Apr 02, 2020
oruhobinna:

Exactly, sue him.. Some landlords are just overly annoying and condescending
The way OP sounded I am he doesn't have evidence of that payment. Going to court in that case is hopeless.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by juwoonn(m): 11:35am On Apr 02, 2020
Ed12:

January 1 - December 31 makes a year. Not January 1 - December 1
Haha
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by pk2me: 11:35am On Apr 02, 2020
He's rent expires after March not in March.. The Landlord has no right to evict u in March.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Alvin007: 11:35am On Apr 02, 2020
cana882:
if tenancy is valid for 11 months according to your explanation, then subsequent renewal of rent will always be a month short. E.g I paid my first rent on 20 January, 2010; then the next will be, according to your explanation, on 20th December, 2011; next on 20th November, 2012; and in 2021, I would have paid for 12 years even if I stayed for 11 years. That’s a whole year rent cash gone.
No. You're getting it wrong. It counts that way from the actual first payment date. Proceeding payments will read 12 full months. I hope you understand it?
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Surulereman(m): 11:36am On Apr 02, 2020
ringi82:

Your landlord is actually right. The 18th of April you moved in is actually counted as a whole month in the eyes of the law, and that is how the receipt issued to you should read ; April to March following year
You are VERY WRONG. His rent/tenancy expired on the eve of the anniversary of the date he paid his rent.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by emmyN(m): 11:36am On Apr 02, 2020
flokii:
@OP your landlord is right while you are wrong.

A calendar year is January - December not January - Jamuary

If you paid rent in April 2019, you next rent will be in March 2020.

Birthdays are different for those using beer parlour logic above.

Some nairalanders are inherently dense. January 1st 00:00 to December 31st 23:59 is what makes a calendar year. You have less than a millisecond interval before you get to January of the next year.

A rent starting 18 April will see expiration on 17th April of the following year. Whereas one starting 1st April will expire 31st March of the next year.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Compliant(m): 11:36am On Apr 02, 2020
I dont know why many people here are so poor with simple mathematics.

@op your rent expires 17-04-2020 and not in march as a yearly tenant.

Same thing happened to me just last month. Paid and packed in march 29 2019, landlord called me feb 28 2020 that my rent has expired and i politely told him that my rent expires march 28 as a yearly tenant and he simple told me he is sorry for the mixed up and i eventually paid him march 25 to avoid any issue.

Mind you, i base in abuja and my landlord works with federal court of appeal abuja.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by cana882(m): 11:36am On Apr 02, 2020
Alvin007:

No. You're getting it wrong. It counts that way from the actual first payment date. Proceeding payments will read 12 full months. I hope you understand it?
okay
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by kaludestiny10(m): 11:36am On Apr 02, 2020
Hahahaha
Bigcowhorn:

Even so, he has a period of grace before he should move
At least 3 months according to Lagos Laws

I'm a landlord in 2 states and speak from bitter experience
Some of those bastards take a year to get out of my life
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Yewandequeen(f): 11:36am On Apr 02, 2020
GoodBoi1:
Chai, this thread is embarrassing, some people don't know how to calculate simple date mathematics. The rent expires the day before his date of payment. That is 1 full year/ 365 days
pls tell them oooo
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Mypeople2(m): 11:37am On Apr 02, 2020
brownsugardr:

Bros go pay your house rent .The thing don expire on the 17/3/2020.If you go to court you go lose like Ebola when he enter Nigeria court .However, mathematically it expires on the 16/4/2020 but in Nigeria it is not so.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by ringi82(m): 11:37am On Apr 02, 2020
TotoNaRubber:

Tell your landlord according to the law, you are entitled to 6 months rent free.

Tell him he doesn't know the constitution.
But ensure u have a new place before this.

You are wrong bro. Trust me, that is not the law.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by oluseg2: 11:38am On Apr 02, 2020
Ed12:

January 1st to December 31st makes 365 days
January 1st to January 1st makes 366 days

What we are saying is that the Land lady wants to short change the OP by 30 days. This is not right.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by luluman: 11:38am On Apr 02, 2020
femi4:
18/04/2019-18/05/2019.....1month
18/05/2019-18/06/2019.....2months

Count like that
18/02/2020-18/03/2020.......12months
18/4-17/5=month
18/5-17/6=2months
18/6-17/7=3months
18/7-17/8=4months
18/8-17/9=5momths
18/9-17/10=6months
18/10-17/11=7momths
18/11-17/12=8months
18/12-17/01=9months
18/01-17/02=10months
18/02-17/03=11months
18/02-17/03=12months.
So prove your point.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by sorepco(m): 11:38am On Apr 02, 2020
See...it does not work the way u think. Calculate it thus: you pay monthly....r you saying if you move in on marc2020 u won't pay by Feb. 2020?

Bluehill1051:
Olodo! Why haven't you been celebrating your birthday one month earlier. Fool.
I see too many foolish people here on nairaland these days

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply)

How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little / Plywood Ghetto-house Under Lagos Bridge That Has An Air-conditioner! / Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.