Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires - Properties (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires (43268 Views)

How I Pay My Rent / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time / My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:19pm On Apr 02, 2020
carbon1224:

Your rent expires 17/03/2020 and he is correct and there is more to this. That’s exactly 12month

stop saying what you dnt knw......count 12 months from May and see when its expires..perhaps you are a landlord. ...

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Bonjovi13: 7:27pm On Apr 02, 2020
Alvin007:

I wouldn't wanna insult you...instead, I'd reiterate my stand on this issue..in my earlier posts...I made mention of the rationale for such calculations and I stated an old statute not limited to Nigeria alone...most Tenancy agreements that are meant to exceed a year, require some sorta registrations, seal, stamping and a charge...this means the Landlord is expected to pay a percentage...
So, some Tenancy agreements would intentionally hide under this 11months calculation so as to evade paying such charges..that's why some use the 11 months calculation..If your wanna register your tenancy agreement as a tenant...you can do it, but some landlords will not want it coz it means they have to pay the percentage charge..Hence, they hide under the 11 months calculation...making it seem like they are leasing out the said property for just 11months. If the tenant decides to continue living in the house...obviously, a fresh tenancy agreement isn't necessary. Hence, they calculate it on 12 months basis thereafter...so, no agreement needs to be registered..
I'm simply tryna let you know WHY the 11months initial calculations come into play.
The OP and his/her landlord know what kinda agreements they entered into..there are so many clauses there, that might prolly vitate both parties' stand. Until, we see such agreements..I can only explain the reason why it's being calculated in that manner.
After this...abeg no mention me again. Thanks.

With due respect to your personality. I would in the interest of posterity urge you never to speak on any subject matter of law whether of the Nigerian legal system or even that of any country that may have gone extinct.

What you wrote up there would cause any dead legal luminary you know to rise up again and haunt you.

What!!!!
You are obviously not a lawyer and if you claim to be one I would like to know if you attended classes or you slept throughout.

Please Amigos.Take my words for it.Stick to selling cars copish?

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Alvin007: 7:53pm On Apr 02, 2020
Bonjovi13:

With due respect to your personality. I would in the interest of posterity urge you never to speak on any subject matter of law whether of the Nigerian legal system or even that of any country that may have gone extinct.

What you wrote up there would cause any dead legal luminary you know to rise up again and haunt you.

What!!!!
You are obviously not a lawyer and if you claim to be one I would like to know if you attended classes or you slept throughout.

Please Amigos.Take my words for it.Stick to selling cars copish?
Typical Nigerian mentality....instead of conducting extensive research, you bother more on throwing tantrums..don't limit your brain to what you stayed awake listening to in class..
Ps: I've got Masters in international law and diplomacy, as well as Social work.
Car sales is a side hustle. Cheers

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by BarrElChapo(m): 8:07pm On Apr 02, 2020
ariefadenco:

It is evident that there is no tenancy agreement otherwise parties will not be in dispute on the date of commencement.
It can thus be deduced that the tenancy is one of a yearly tenancy and not a fixed term.

I concede my learned brother let's agree to disagree smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Bonjovi13: 8:18pm On Apr 02, 2020
Alvin007:

Typical Nigerian mentality....instead of conducting extensive research, you bother more on throwing tantrums..don't limit your brain to what you stayed awake listening to in class..
Ps: I've got Masters in international law and diplomacy, as well as Social work.
Car sales is a side hustle. Cheers

Whatever rocks your boat Mister. Masters,PHD,Professorship etc I am certain you got them all. Hopefully they are not audio certificates.
I just hope you are doing well in real life. If you are then its all good. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Jfkito: 8:38pm On Apr 02, 2020
Don't mind the hungry Landlord. This is how my landlady's agent wanted to introduce that kalokalo calculation with me despite asking him to put the right next due date on the receipt. When I asked him two simply questions he has to humble himself. 1 How do you celebrate your birthday. 2. If you pay this year rent by March then the next one should be February, January the sequence continue. This common in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by tinsel: 8:45pm On Apr 02, 2020
iPOOPinURmouth:
shut up , you idiots come here with half stories. before u come tarnishing someones imagge, always give full stories, tell us how u disobey many of the rules in the compound, tell us how u wanted to Bleep his daughters, tell us how u harass girls in the compound. olodo tell us how u are blasting music in high volume and making noise and disturbing people, tell us how u bring in people into the compound anyhow, idiot tell us how troublesome u are that makes your landlord want to get rid of yur annoying ass. bastard.
from what you wrote, its not just about house rent, he wants to just get rid of you.
But the landlord is not telling him to leave his house but to pay up or leave. So money is the issue and not the behaviour of the tenant

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by freeman500: 9:38pm On Apr 02, 2020
freeman500:
According to some people's calculation
18/4/2019 - 17/3/2020 =1year
That means his next rent will be
17/3/2020 - 16/2/2021
And next one
16/2/2021 - 15/1/2022
Clearly the landlord is wrong.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by gassbee: 9:54pm On Apr 02, 2020
BarrElChapo:

He very much can evict the tenant without the statutory six months notice.
very correct, once his rent officially expires, d tenant can be given 7 days notice to quit

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by tpapi: 10:20pm On Apr 02, 2020
einsteine:

Go and try it in Lagos.

The court bailiffs would make a summary auction of your belongings.

If it was free, you think people would be changing houses.

Let me just leave you to be ignorant.
what happens if a bailiff goes to serve notice to a tenant and does not find d tenant at home , can he go ahead n paste d notice on d door or will he require a court order to paste d notice on d door
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by ibinaboonline: 11:51pm On Apr 02, 2020
No don't sue. Wait for him to lock you out then you call police and they will teach him how many months makes a year.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Bahddo(m): 2:37am On Apr 03, 2020
femi4:
18/04/2019-18/05/2019.....1month
18/05/2019-18/06/2019.....2months

Count like that
18/02/2020-18/03/2020.......12months
this guy, you use style dull. April was the start, and it's not a month yet until May.

May is the end of the first month, so the 12th month end would be April.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by LaExpert: 7:33am On Apr 03, 2020
Vortex369:

Why is it so confusing?

January 1 to December 31 is 12 months aka 1yr.

If your rent begins January 1, it expires December 31 not January 31.

How about if the rent begins on January 20, when will it expire?
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by freeman500: 1:08pm On Apr 03, 2020
LaExpert:

Jan 19th next year
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by freeman500: 1:12pm On Apr 03, 2020
LaExpert:

According to your calculation
17/3/2020 - 16/2/2021
And next one
16/2/2021 - 15/1/2022
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by rammyty: 2:03pm On Apr 03, 2020
Babalegba:
I believe you guys are trolling the thread. Afew of my tenants are teachers and one is an accountant. It took me less than five minutes to explain it also to the policeman among them who holds a WASC certificate so supposedly erudite nairalanders should not be this confused

I drop my pen.. lipsrsealed

You had me at teachers.

I wail for the country

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by LaExpert: 4:46pm On Apr 03, 2020
freeman500:

According to your calculation
17/3/2020 - 16/2/2021
And next one
16/2/2021 - 15/1/2022

According to whose calculation?
Where is the calculation?
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by LaExpert: 4:48pm On Apr 03, 2020
freeman500:

Jan 19th next year

I agree with this.

I responded to someone who believes that 1 January to 31 December is a year and also believes that 18 April to 17 March is also a year.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by freeman500: 5:50pm On Apr 03, 2020
LaExpert:

According to whose calculation?
Where is the calculation?
Sorry we are on the same page grin
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by cimag: 4:25pm On Apr 04, 2020
He's an idiot.Even if your rent has expired,why the hurry to lock you out in less than one month after the so-called expiration?Some Landlords create problems for themselves the way the treat their tenants.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by abbiboy: 4:33pm On Apr 04, 2020
bhmw:

Is April the 5th month on your caledar?
Wht is this one saying?
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by just2endowed: 10:39pm On Apr 04, 2020
Na WAoh
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by bhmw(m): 10:58pm On Apr 04, 2020
abbiboy:

Wht is this one saying?
You started your counting from 18/05/19, instead of 18/04/19.
NB: Please don't refer to someone you don't know as 'this one'.
Instead say, what do you mean (politely). Thanks. (my last comment on this topic).
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Babalegba(m): 2:55pm On Apr 05, 2020
rammyty:

I drop my pen.. lipsrsealed

You had me at teachers.

I wail for the country
You are actually right. My bad, I got the dates mixed up. I had an experience with one guy who paid from 1st July to end of June the following year and then thought he was covered up till end of July the following year for some reason. Many tenants are very sneaky and I thought the o. p is such .

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by ThaThinka: 3:51pm On Apr 05, 2020
Bluehill1051:
Olodo! Why haven't you been celebrating your birthday one month earlier. Fool.
I see too many foolish people here on nairaland these days

Baba, the thing shock me o. I mean with the number of likes that his posts and others like his got. cheesy

We seriously have many "educated illiterates" in this country. The scary thing is that such people easily get government jobs. No wonder there's so much inefficiency everywhere. undecided
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Mypeople2(m): 8:22pm On Apr 06, 2020
brownsugardr:
My Landlord Is Intimidating Me And Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires

I paid my house rent for one full year on 18/04/2019. My rent is due to expire on 17/04/2020.

But my Landlord is insisting it expired on 17/03/2020. Which is Eleven months. I have tried explaining to him but he wants to lock me out unless I pay immediately.

Please how do I get redress.
No need to sue or argue with your landlord.Just tell him that the day you first paid that is the day you are paying the next rent
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by abbiboy: 11:31pm On Apr 06, 2020
bhmw:

You started your counting from 18/05/19, instead of 18/04/19.
NB: Please don't refer to someone you don't know as 'this one'.
Instead say, what do you mean (politely). Thanks. (my last comment on this topic).
Sori Sir[b][/b]
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Coolgent(m): 2:25pm On Sep 13, 2021
MelesZanawi:
For those calculating nonsense, you are an annual tenant. Meaning your rent is for 365 days. Calculate 365 days from 18/4 and you have 17/4. If yur rent started in 1/4, it would expire in 31/3. get a lawyer to write you formally and then get a lawyer to reply him. If you don't cure his madness now, he would bring up another scheme to fleece you next time.
U are absolutely correct except if the tenancy agreement says 12 calendar month not yearly which is 365.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little / Facts About People Living In Face Me I face You Houses / Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.