Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? (26103 Views)

Sunday Igboho: Release Nnamdi Kanu Now – Ohanaeze Begs Buhari FG / Dockworkers Commend President Buhari, FG For Reopening BUA Terminal, Rivers Port / I Didn’t Support Buhari, Fg’s Refusal To Release Dasuki, Malami Tells Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by hmohammed(m): 3:14pm On Apr 01, 2020
payperpost:
Seun, so you were paid to move this to front page to insult us right?

this is what Linda ikeji or yabaleft will not do, well enjoy it while it last.

what has buhari done? his chief of staff imported the virus to Nigeria and you are here telling us nonsense, even the Italian reported himself and now doing fine. Covid 1 . 9

What are you waiting for? Delete your account and move to Linda now. Abi who hold you now. The question is, what do you have to say about the write up? Is it a lie?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by taven(m): 3:15pm On Apr 01, 2020
PassingShot:
I have read a lot of wailing and criticism about the FG’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic since it arrived in Nigeria on Feb 25th. The most recent was reactions to a thread comparing Nigeria’s handling of the crisis to that of UK. Expectedly but sadly, a lot of ignorant commenters were dancing albeit nakedly based on the newspaper’s report which didn’t even say that the UK is handling the pandemic better than Nigeria.

If any unbiased person wants to make any comparison about govts handling of the pandemic, their objective analysis will include parameters such as each govt’s efforts before COVID arrived at their shores (very important), each govt’s immediate response as soon as COVID arrived in their country, number of infected persons (confirmed) and lastly and most importantly, the number of deaths recorded as a result of the pandemic. But since many Nigerians have allowed their common sense to be affected by prejudice and hatred, they have abandoned these relevant parameters in making evaluating the govt’s response to the crisis. Now let’s quickly look at the following facts:

1. Measures taken by the Nigerian Govt before a COVID case was discovered in Nigeria: Long before the pandemic found its way into Nigeria, the FG embarked on monitoring body temperature of people flying into the country to be able to discover who may have showed any signs of the disease. By this time and despite that the disease was at their shores, USA, UK, Iran and many other “saner clime” countries were not even taking this measure. Dr. joe Abah did a thread on it and the World Health Organization commended Nigeria for this measure and going as far as using Nigeria as an example of how countries should respond to the pandemic. Read https://twitter.com/drjoeabah/status/1233989553008119809?lang=en for Dr. Joe’s Twitter thread and https://guardian.ng/news/coronavirus-who-commends-fgs-effort-on-response/ for WHO’s commendation.

2. Number of cases recorded in Nigeria versus that of UK or any other “saner country”: As at the time of writing this article (01/04/2010 @12 noon Naija time), the UK has 25,150 confirmed cases and 1,789 deaths; the USA has 188,639 cases and 4,059 deaths; Iran has 47,593 cases and 3,036 deaths, Italy has 105,792 cases and 12,428 deaths while many other “saner countries” have similar gloomy numbers to show for their efforts. Nigeria on the other hand has recorded 139 cases and 2 deaths. I expect some readers to jump on the fact that Nigeria is not testing as much as the mentioned countries, but the fact remains that while that may be responsible for the low number of confirmed cases, it couldn’t have been responsible for low number of deaths. Not carrying out enough testing would not have prevented people from being struck down by the disease or people dying as a result of it.

3. Another indication that Nigeria’s govt is doing her best in containing the spread of the virus can be seen when one compares the time the country’s first case was discovered to when those of the “saner countries” were discovered and juxtapose with the number of confirmed cases and deaths. Italy had her first case around January 31st, 2020 (two months ago), Spain had its first on Feb. 1st and Italy had it on Feb 21st which was only four days earlier than when Nigeria had hers on Feb 25th. Compare the number of deaths/confirmed cases of these countries and see if you have not been unreasonable in your criticism of the government.

The problem with wailers and destructive critics is that they always shift the goalposts. As such, you can never have any reasonable conversation with them. When the first case was reported in Nigeria, lead by their frustrated Wailer-in-Chief, they said it was a scam to be used to loot money. And when few more cases were confirmed some days after, they turned back to say the govt should have closed the bother long ago! Such is their pathetic life!

Ask them which country Nigeria should have emulated in containing the disease, those of them who still have a bit of sense will stutter because they would not dare say USA, UK, Italy or Germany but the chronic wailers who have obviously lost it all will still compare how Nigeria is managing the spread of the disease to the same UK which has lost almost two thousands of her people to the disease.

Does Nigeria have the facilities or the means to combat the COVID19 pandemic? The answer is a resounding NO. Does the country have a robust health system compared to those “saner countries”? Again, the answer is an emphatic No? Do we have enough money to deploy to tackle any outbreak in the size of that witnessed in UK, Italy, USA or Germany? The answer is an obvious NO. But the fact is that the state of our health system or the size of our purse wasn’t brought about by the current government but a result of many years of failure. So, why wailing uncontrollably instead of supporting the govt’s efforts at preventing the spread of the disease?

Had it been Buhari who reacted the way Trump and Boris Johnson first reacted to the COVID19 outbreak – by dismissing it and making all sorts of joke of it, or just like Seyi Makinde (your “presidential material”) who called it an APC disease, perhaps you would have possibly reacted in such a bad manner. There should be a limit to wailing!

Have a nice day.
Unless you see what we see , you shouldn't go around criticizing a damn thing we are saying. There's no advantage in deceiving yourself. Good and bad are distinct. But fools don't believe and fall straight into a hell of endless darkness without even knowing it. You're like a blind person who don't believe there's such a thing as light. Even if you explain it to them, they still don't believe, so go and seat down eee you know nothing just say lets us pray instead grin

2 Likes

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Eriggs: 3:15pm On Apr 01, 2020
phreakabit:

You think Seun still owns NL? LMAO I laugh you.
Na ur family own NL now abi? Your uncle is d new CEO?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by SmartyPants(m): 3:15pm On Apr 01, 2020
PassingShot:

Expecting them to have a coherent response is like wanting to squeeze water out of a rock.

My good man, is it not tenable that:

1. The crisis came to Nigeria later than the countries you mention in the west. Therefore, those countries having provided an example cannot be compared with Nigeria whom should have learned by the aforementioned example?

3. That like for like comparisons are not possible because one, those countries have a far higher inflow of traffic from affected spots; and second, because Nigerias testing capacity is far, far lower than that of other countries...so we may be thinking the crisis is lower here than it actually is. US made this error as well.

4. That there is an obvious cycle where the initial wave of cases seems manageable and then balloons.

Having said all this, I conclude by arguing, without making any comparison that Buhari mismanaged this situation by:

1. Leaving the borders open until a critical mass had become infected

2. Failing to beef up the NCDC capacity despite having showed initial foresight.

3. Failing to address the nation in a timely manner, leading to states having to take the lead

4. Failing to provide critical food supplies for the poor in areas under federal lock down.

Now all of this is underscored by this simple fact: Nigeria does not have the resources other nations have to effectively tackled this crisis. Therefore we ought to have taken extra care. All Mr. President had to do was to close the borders early enough.

3 Likes

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Excuzeme: 3:15pm On Apr 01, 2020
Benda59:
Nigeria was shouting that her air borders was opened to the world when other developed countries were shutting theirs, I am 100% because I observed closely. If you think we doing good with the pandemic wait till this time next month. Una eye go clear by then. God's in charge ❤️

Dont worry about that, he would write another epistle and put the blame on China. grin grin
We are still at the incubation stage and the BMO's are already patting themselves on the back.

Most people are refusing to even comment on the thread because the foolishness and reason behind it is just stomach churning!

3 Likes

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by wirinet(m): 3:15pm On Apr 01, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:
Rubbish

The number of infected people are much more higher than what the useless government declared .

Over 10,000 people are already infected in Lagos alone .. All thanks to Buhari refusal to close the borders on time .
Even if we conceded to your unverified figure of 10,000, what of deaths from the virus? With a fatality rate of 2%, we would have expected 200 deaths from coronavirus alone in Lagos State, but we have 2. What does that tell you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 01, 2020
Itemmanu:
[s][/s]
Gibberish

Don't mind the goons.
Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Eriggs: 3:16pm On Apr 01, 2020
fredoooooo:
Good job so far ..

If you don't like it kill yourself ... angry

Those waiting to hear more bad news ,bad news shall be your portions.

Abeg if you want ogun to kill you ..quote me
Nice one Og_ Freddoooo wink, dem no born those animals well to quote u walahi grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by idealogical: 3:16pm On Apr 01, 2020
The problem with wailers and destructive critics is that they always shift the goalposts. As such, you can never have any reasonable conversation with them.

Why do you think they say countries where they have over 100,000 infections and thousands of deaths are handling C-19 better than Nigeria?

Because all they care about is negative and negative news, they are mad and upset because all they want to see is calamity and devastation, but God willing, they won't see any of that in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by rusher14: 3:16pm On Apr 01, 2020
ariefadenco:

You are as biased as the people you impugn as "ignorant commenters".
I honestly do not have the patience to complete reading your disgusting piece.
In your paragraph 2, the federal government began testing temperature of incoming travellers before it was discovered.
How many cases were they able to detect at the point of entry?
In summary, the government was unresponsive of the looming danger.

In the grand scheme of things, should a score card amongst all nations be made as of today on the Coronavirus impact, what position would Nigeria hold from 1 to 168, with 1 being the best mark?
Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 01, 2020
I thought this was an objective opinion. Apparently it is a politically tainted one. Typical Nigerian mentality to dismiss critics as "wailers".

If you can't take criticism then you don't deserve to be a leader, especially a democratically elected one

4 Likes

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by rusher14: 3:17pm On Apr 01, 2020
SolaRaphael:
This is my opinion: the fact that many Nigerians have not gravely fallen ill or many victims are not dropping dead is a matter of Providence.

Somehow, God has curtailed the number of casualty in this country.

But if they die it is Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by PassingShot(m): 3:18pm On Apr 01, 2020
PointB:

Bros,

If you don't test,

1. You won't know the number of symptomatic and asymptomatic cases (total number of cases)
2. You won't would know the cause of death, especially for pneumonia related deaths

Finally, asking people coming in from infected countries to self isolate is simply government shirking it's responsibility. Government should have quarantine them with it's resource at the port of entry. Not doing this enabled the virus to gain ground. Even the government itself actively help spread the disease. Argue with Kyari and Makinde about this.

The FG wasted so much time, and its action was not decisive. Apart from the speech that was beat out of the reluctant president, there is no FG command and control function in the response so far. Perhaps because Abba Kyari (the defacto president) has been incapacitate by the virus' calculated attack.
1. I already answered it in the original post.

2. If people have been dying as a result of suspected COVID case, we would have known. We haven't heard people dying mysteriously. Have you?

Till now, no govt in the world quarantines people just because they're returning from abroad. Where are the facilities and resources to keep thousands of people, including providing for their needs? So, if people choose to be irresponsible, the govt must still be blamed? Like those who filled wrong details in their form to enable contact tracing, right?

Many of you are unnecessarily hysterical.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Wallade(m): 3:18pm On Apr 01, 2020
Ayoefa:
All these people complaining about not closing the borders in time are not informed of the fact that NO COUNTRY on earth can close its borders to it's own citizens. No country has closed their borders to their own citizens. That's the height of stupidity and carelessness.

Ode! The same quarantine act your esteemed government relied on to infringe on the rights of Lagos, Abuja and Ogun people allows FG to close the border to even its citizens.

OK. Please tell me: what is happening at the borders now?

2 Likes

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by pricklewane: 3:18pm On Apr 01, 2020
Is your father among the 10,000 you discloses are infected
NaijaRoyalty:
Rubbish

The number of infected people are much more higher than what the useless government declared .

Over 10,000 people are already infected in Lagos alone .. All thanks to Buhari refusal to close the borders on time .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by kim4415: 3:18pm On Apr 01, 2020
rdg7rekgrd
Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Adakintroy2: 3:20pm On Apr 01, 2020
kikero:

GEJ did not lock down Lagos during the Ebola crisis

What was done was an emergency was declared, funds were approved and contacts of confirmed cases were checked.

We also benefited from the fact that ebola is not airborne.

Who said he lock down lagos? I said if it was Jonathan that issue total lock down on lagos. If". ..the yorubas would have protested. They hate taking orders from perceive inferior tribe. they only take from the one above them.

Airborne or not it was contegiouse and it was well checked.

Bubu just real out a press conference like he was giving out handout to needy people and no word afterwards. Yorubas must be dogs. The way they comply with there master voice is irritating.
Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by rusher14: 3:21pm On Apr 01, 2020
Ajibade123:
OP you are saying real rubbish especially that your number 1...most of the carriers of this disease are returnee from these top countries if there was proper screening at the airport will this have happened

What form.of screening?

Between January and March, I have been to Lagos, London, Edinburgh, Addis Ababa, Cape Town, yet the only places I had my temperature taken were Lagos and Cape Town, so what is it that these countries were doing that we did not do?

Note, Nigeria is still the least badly affected amongst these nations, so what is the issue?

1 Like

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Excuzeme: 3:21pm On Apr 01, 2020
hmohammed:

I am sure you can read. Do you have anything to discredit the message? Leave the messenger for now

No, l cant read.
I do not need to discredit the article because "if you argue with a fool, people wont know the difference and he or she will steal overun you with experience".
The only reason you are here jumping up and down to defend the rubbish he wrote is just because the President is Buhari, a fellow Northerner and Muslim.
Aside that, l know you have nothing else upstairs, but weldone all the same, Cowdung
. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Apr 01, 2020
hmohammed:

What are you waiting for? Delete your account and move to Linda now. Abi who hold you now. The question is, what do you have to say about the write up? Is it a lie?

it shall not be well with you and Seun if you do not delete this account, do you pay me? look at these fools? ban this account and you will never see me on here ever again, I don't go back to my vomit.

brainless mofosss who can not differentiate between opinion and insult

1 Like

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by joyandfaith: 3:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
PassingShot:
I have read a lot of wailing and criticism about the FG’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic since it arrived in Nigeria on Feb 25th. The most recent was reactions to a thread comparing Nigeria’s handling of the crisis to that of UK. Expectedly but sadly, a lot of ignorant commenters were dancing albeit nakedly based on the newspaper’s report which didn’t even say that the UK is handling the pandemic better than Nigeria.

If any unbiased person wants to make any comparison about govts handling of the pandemic, their objective analysis will include parameters such as each govt’s efforts before COVID arrived at their shores (very important), each govt’s immediate response as soon as COVID arrived in their country, number of infected persons (confirmed) and lastly and most importantly, the number of deaths recorded as a result of the pandemic. But since many Nigerians have allowed their common sense to be affected by prejudice and hatred, they have abandoned these relevant parameters in making evaluating the govt’s response to the crisis. Now let’s quickly look at the following facts:

1. Measures taken by the Nigerian Govt before a COVID case was discovered in Nigeria: Long before the pandemic found its way into Nigeria, the FG embarked on monitoring body temperature of people flying into the country to be able to discover who may have showed any signs of the disease. By this time and despite that the disease was at their shores, USA, UK, Iran and many other “saner clime” countries were not even taking this measure. Dr. joe Abah did a thread on it and the World Health Organization commended Nigeria for this measure and going as far as using Nigeria as an example of how countries should respond to the pandemic. Read https://twitter.com/drjoeabah/status/1233989553008119809?lang=en for Dr. Joe’s Twitter thread and https://guardian.ng/news/coronavirus-who-commends-fgs-effort-on-response/ for WHO’s commendation.

2. Number of cases recorded in Nigeria versus that of UK or any other “saner country”: As at the time of writing this article (01/04/2010 @12 noon Naija time), the UK has 25,150 confirmed cases and 1,789 deaths; the USA has 188,639 cases and 4,059 deaths; Iran has 47,593 cases and 3,036 deaths, Italy has 105,792 cases and 12,428 deaths while many other “saner countries” have similar gloomy numbers to show for their efforts. Nigeria on the other hand has recorded 139 cases and 2 deaths. I expect some readers to jump on the fact that Nigeria is not testing as much as the mentioned countries, but the fact remains that while that may be responsible for the low number of confirmed cases, it couldn’t have been responsible for low number of deaths. Not carrying out enough testing would not have prevented people from being struck down by the disease or people dying as a result of it.

3. Another indication that Nigeria’s govt is doing her best in containing the spread of the virus can be seen when one compares the time the country’s first case was discovered to when those of the “saner countries” were discovered and juxtapose with the number of confirmed cases and deaths. Italy had her first case around January 31st, 2020 (two months ago), Spain had its first on Feb. 1st and Italy had it on Feb 21st which was only four days earlier than when Nigeria had hers on Feb 25th. Compare the number of deaths/confirmed cases of these countries and see if you have not been unreasonable in your criticism of the government.

The problem with wailers and destructive critics is that they always shift the goalposts. As such, you can never have any reasonable conversation with them. When the first case was reported in Nigeria, lead by their frustrated Wailer-in-Chief, they said it was a scam to be used to loot money. And when few more cases were confirmed some days after, they turned back to say the govt should have closed the bother long ago! Such is their pathetic life!

Ask them which country Nigeria should have emulated in containing the disease, those of them who still have a bit of sense will stutter because they would not dare say USA, UK, Italy or Germany but the chronic wailers who have obviously lost it all will still compare how Nigeria is managing the spread of the disease to the same UK which has lost almost two thousands of her people to the disease.

Does Nigeria have the facilities or the means to combat the COVID19 pandemic? The answer is a resounding NO. Does the country have a robust health system compared to those “saner countries”? Again, the answer is an emphatic No? Do we have enough money to deploy to tackle any outbreak in the size of that witnessed in UK, Italy, USA or Germany? The answer is an obvious NO. But the fact is that the state of our health system or the size of our purse wasn’t brought about by the current government but a result of many years of failure. So, why wailing uncontrollably instead of supporting the govt’s efforts at preventing the spread of the disease?

Had it been Buhari who reacted the way Trump and Boris Johnson first reacted to the COVID19 outbreak – by dismissing it and making all sorts of joke of it, or just like Seyi Makinde (your “presidential material”) who called it an APC disease, perhaps you would have possibly reacted in such a bad manner. There should be a limit to wailing!

Have a nice day.

testing of suspected cases is what makes a difference
Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
PassingShot:

.............................saner country

I like everything you wrote except the use of the above. Don't worry all us go dey all right

joyandfaith:

If you see the way US, Europians, Indians were lamenting about the covid16 test, you will shut it
in UAE people are paying to get tested

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by slowice(m): 3:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
The answer is yes.... The truth is that they ve every opportunity to do right and stop the virus from coming into the country knowing fully well that we do not have the capacity to handle it. They saw what was happening in Italy, UK and the US but were still reluctant to close our borders for reasons I don't know. They were warned by even Nigerians but they did not listen. Fg had about 7weeks of grace to save Nigeria but choose to play to the gallery. So yes, it was poorly handled and even now, we re not testing a lot of people and that is why WHO is predicting the worst.

1 Like

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by hmohammed(m): 3:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
taven:
Unless you see what we see , you shouldn't go around criticizing a damn thing we are saying. There's no advantage in deceiving yourself. Good and bad are distinct. But fools don't believe and fall straight into a hell of endless darkness without even knowing it. You're like a blind person who don't believe there's such a thing as light. Even if you explain it to them, they still don't believe, so go and seat down eee you know nothing just say lets us pray instead grin

What are you saying. You are communicating incoherently. Are you sure you never get Coro like this?
Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Itemmanu: 3:23pm On Apr 01, 2020
[s]
PassingShot:

2. If people have been dying as a result of suspected COVID case, we would have known. We haven't heard people dying mysteriously. Have you?

Till now, no govt in the world quarantines people just because they're returning from abroad. Where are the facilities and resources to keep thousands of people, including providing for their needs? So, if people choose to be irresponsible, the govt must still be blamed? Like those who filled wrong details in their form to enable contact tracing, right?

[/s]

1 Like

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Itemmanu: 3:23pm On Apr 01, 2020
[s]
PassingShot:

Great, which govt was indeed responsive to the looming danger then? I mean, tell us an example of the govt we should have emulated.
What many of you wailers don't accept is that this disease is unavailable. It will reach almost every known country of the world.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 3:23pm On Apr 01, 2020
OP for you to wite this lengthy words and begin to appoint names like wailers into it shows you are not neutral with your words and such you are viod upstairs...

I keep saying it , when someone is telling you that the government of today is not helping issues, don't quickly names the person a wailer like APC touts we have as leaders.....

Look into his or her criticism and make deductions...

Imagine you comparing the treatment rate of UK and Nigeria over COVID19, because those people are plain and have a registered record of all individuals in their country....

What records do Nigerians have to justify their claims?

Better stay at home and pray to whoever you believe in to calm this virus....

Nigerian Government is seriously tackling the case but what people are talking about is not about tackling the case but what provisions where made ab initio to curtail this kind of case or any other case

Nigeria needs renovation, remodelling and total formating ...
Is by the grace of God that people are surviving in this country

2 Likes

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Apr 01, 2020
There must be some reasons the virus is not spreading in Nigeria. The government shouldn't take any credit because they've done absolutely nothing. They are not testing and the ones that testing positive are complaining of lack of medical attention. The only right thing they did was lockdown orders but they also did that at the expense of the masses because no palliative measures were put in place

2 Likes

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Basher8583: 3:23pm On Apr 01, 2020
PassingShot:

Have a nice day.

I love this write-up. Finally something to brighten my day while managing this boring sit at home exercise

2 Likes

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by hmohammed(m): 3:24pm On Apr 01, 2020
joyandfaith:

Did you read at all. Take your time sir. Shebi we are in lock down mode, so you should take your time to read before you comment.
Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by wirinet(m): 3:25pm On Apr 01, 2020
SmartyPants:

My good man, is it not tenable that:

1. The crisis came to Nigeria later than the countries you mention in the west. Therefore, those countries having provided an example cannot be compared with Nigeria whom should have learned by the aforementioned example?

3. That like for like comparisons are not possible because one, those countries have a far higher inflow of traffic from affected spots; and second, because Nigerias testing capacity is far, far lower than that of other countries...so we may be thinking the crisis is lower here than it actually is. US made this error as well.

4. That there is an obvious cycle where the initial wave of cases seems manageable and then balloons.

Having said all this, I conclude by arguing, without making any comparison that Buhari mismanaged this situation by:

1. Leaving the borders open until a critical mass had become infected

2. Failing to beef up the NCDC capacity despite having showed initial foresight.

3. Failing to address the nation in a timely manner, leading to states having to take the lead

4. Failing to provide critical food supplies for the poor in areas under federal lock down.

Now all of this is underscored by this simple fact: Nigeria does not have the resources other nations have to effectively tackled this crisis. Therefore we ought to have taken extra care. All Mr. President had to do was to close the borders early enough.
So which country do you think took the kinds of measures you advocate to stem the inflow of the virus into their country? Which country do you suggest we emulate?

Nigeria cannot just shut his borders too early to all incoming traffic. Stopping flight from China did not work as Trump found out. The virus could come from any country, even before it reaches epidemic levels in that country. If Buhari stopped all flights to Nigeria the very week the outbreak started in Wuhan, the regular wailers would have wailed endlessly on how Nigeria did not close the borders during SARS in 2003.

Beef NCDC capacity? How? This is a virus we knew very little about and the world had very little ideas of its properties.

1 Like

Re: Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? by Wallade(m): 3:25pm On Apr 01, 2020
PassingShot:

You are the sick one: you asked for the mess and it's served you on a platter, enjoy it while more comes.

However, pick up your phone and google "countries that quarantine returning citizens". Don't forget to share the list of such countries. Let me give you an "expo" - China, find the others.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Modupe Odele's Passport Returned & Travel Ban Lifted After 9 Days / Oshiomhole Won His Second Term By Begging Jonathan - Ikimi / Rare Photo Of Amaechi & Yahaya Bello At Zahra Buhari's Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.