Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years (59308 Views)

FG Reinstate 18 As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / JSS Entry Age Limit: Lagos Debunks Viral Report On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 12:38pm On Apr 07, 2020
Christianvoice:

It is not new policy. It was introduced by National Educational policy in 2004. So Lagos State just implemented it. I am an educationist.
Does that policy make it mandatory on private schools..?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by cunny88(m): 12:39pm On Apr 07, 2020
u finish high school at 18, gain uni admission at 20, finish service at 25, eventually get a job at 29 only to be told they only under 26yrs graduates
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 12:39pm On Apr 07, 2020
Christianvoice:

It is not a new policy. It is there in National Educational policy already. You need an expert to tell you
It is new you need an expert to tell you what new means
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by shekhaz(f): 12:40pm On Apr 07, 2020
This is a welcome development but it needs to get to employers of labour as well. They only recruit young graduate of 21. How can a child finish secondary school at age 18 and complete higher education in 3 years?
I am happy with what Lagos state has decided but 11 years is better. The private schools are the main source of this problem. I work in a school where a boy of 8 was admitted into jss1 just because his father can afford to pay the school fees.
My only problem with this directive is how will they enforce compliance? Parents threaten withdrawal in school and force school owners to admit toddlers to secondary school.
There was even a mother that told me upfront that her daughter must leave primary school at age 9. She can't afford to be spending so much tuition in primary school. Then again, the federal government needs to join this to make it work. A parent can easily take their child to Ogun state for admission or any other state. It should be enforced by the federal ministry of education

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by hush15: 12:43pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Maybe we have different understanding

Look, I studied education. Today, hardly do children do pry 5 n 6 anymore. Once they can afford it, they jump from 4 without fully comprehending the learning experience. So as long as they pass, the move from pry 4 to jss1. Whereas the real learning experience is to achieved at 5 n 6 when age combines with maturity. It used to be a privilege for the exceptionally brilliant but today, even stupids jump it now. The goal is just pass the exam which shouldn't be. Today, what we have is graduates who possess book knowledge but zero application knowledge.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by shekhaz(f): 12:44pm On Apr 07, 2020
Christianvoice:

It is not new policy. It was introduced by National Educational policy in 2004. So Lagos State just implemented it. I am an educationist.
True ,I have heard of it but it is this same government officials who receive bribe from school owners. Private school owners are part of the problem of education in Nigeria sincerely.
We now have 13, 14 years writing WAEC. And I ask myself where are they really rushing to? Parents should allow these kids enjoy their age. They have a whole lot of time to spend being an adult
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Sasaeniyan29(m): 12:44pm On Apr 07, 2020
this kind of policy is not good enough for a state like Lagos,that means every student is expected to finish secondary school at the age of 18years before going to higher institution,i hope this people think about how many time some students write jamb b4 gotten admission into d university,this people should consider this as well... there's a need for rethinking on this policy by Lagos state government.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by bukatyne(f): 12:45pm On Apr 07, 2020
Gilbertase:
All ye people, applauding this neurotic move, i would like to ask, would this apply to SanwoOlu's children? When sanwoolu's children come back from the uk with phd at 26; and become your commisioner in that future and your own kids are only just preparing for yet another neurotic move called NYSC, maybe then you would rethink this decision.

Ps: i got into sec school at age 8, Stadium high school to be precise, and i turned out just fine. Married with two kids, and my life did not/was not turned upside down.

They unfortunately do not see the bigger picture.

Until all politicians' kids are mandated to all study in Nigeria and kick off the age restrictions on private employment, unemployment rate has not gone up yet.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by ghettochild(m): 12:49pm On Apr 07, 2020
That's unfair..
I got into sec sch at age 11 even when I didnt do common entrance at primary 5 but primary 6
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by shekhaz(f): 12:49pm On Apr 07, 2020
hush15:

Look, I studied education. Today, hardly do children do pry 5 n 6 anymore. Once they can afford it, they jump from 4 without fully comprehending the learning experience. So as long as they pass, the move from pry 4 to jss1. Whereas the real learning experience is to achieved at 5 n 6 when age combines with maturity. It used to be a privilege for the exceptionally brilliant but today, even stupids jump it now. The goal is just pass the exam which shouldn't be. Today, what we have is graduates who possess book knowledge but zero application knowledge.

I didn't study education but I have been teaching for 7 years now. I can say for a fact that we always enjoy mature students in JSS 1 that were age 10 or 11. This is because they had learnt almost everything they need to know. It makes teaching them fun and easy. Those ones that left from pry4 are the ones that struggle. I am not saying we don't have those ones who struggle even at age 11 but it is better as all student are not the same
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by seunayantokun(m): 12:50pm On Apr 07, 2020
Great view.
Some of the kids are here on naira land who speak to their father's or mother's age mates anyhow on naira land.

yers6:
I swear!!!!!!!! This is the best policy in education sector in recent years. Was still discussing this very crucial issue with woman days ago!!!!

Imagine a scenario whereby some new generation 'sophisticated' parents wants their wards in JSS 1 at the age of 7, 8, 9 or 10 and by the time the kid is 16 or 17, would already be done with university! And then by 19 would be done with nysc and then start working. And for those in majority, may not get a good job at that stage and so, life problems start hitting them with so much frustration which they were not fully prepared or grounded to face and then they resort to drugs, prostitution and other dangerous vices just to keep face or survive!

And there is where the challenge starts. Because they are still teenagers with the enormous mantle of grown adult's headaches, they become so directionless in life especially because most Nigerian men don't intend to settle down maritally or even take life very serious till they are 30 years and above. FACT!

Come to clubs on the island and you would weep for the new generations our so called enlightened and cosmopolitan parents are now raising. You would see young girls of 15, 16 from mostly Christian and Religious higher institutions of learning like Covenant, Babcock (the Babcock lady giving head last year in the viral video comes to mind here), Redeemers, Mountain Top, Caleb, Unilag, Leads, Alkhima, Afe Babalola, etc, flooding some of the most exquisite, expensive and classy night clubs on the island, in Owerri, Benin, PH, Abuja every and every weekend!

Or why do you think new exquisite clubs are opening up every other day in Lagos and those cities mentioned? High rate of slay queens everywhere? Or astronomical numbers of mamalawos on IG? Or the fact that weed, codeine, and other 'get high' drugs are recording the craziest sales ever? Its beyond just the fact there are big boys ready to spend but simply because the young and willing underage girls from the higher institutions of learning abounds massively like the sands in the ocean. You see young girls at age 17, 18, 19 among them already having flapping and seriously sagged breasts**.

And you begin to wonder if they are not young girls from so called prestigious and religious universities where security was very tight, where morals were preached and impacted on all fronts, where their parents spend fortunes on them to be in so called best schools?

If you were one brought up in a strict home and responsible background and happen to see things as they are in those cities mentioned, you would weep bitterly.

Don't get get this submission wrong as this is not to generalise that all underaged kids in universities are bad or irresponsible. Far from it. Still a lot are well raised and doing remarkably well even after graduation. Because age at times doesn't translated to maturity. But the danger lies in having kids who are not raised well to fully absorb the crude shocks of life in the majority!

How can you explain so many 16 years olds in 400 level in universities but are already deeply enmeshed in drug abuse? Or the girls that have committed several abortions that they have lost counts? Or those who have been to 100's of exquisite clubs in and out of the country at age 16/17? Thats why you see so many childish comments on social media posts and forum especially on Nairaland in recent years and you begin to wonder, who are these so called young adults with terribly childish mentality? How can you then explain the highest numbers of young boys and girls committing suicides in recent years when we all know Nigerian rarely commit suicide? By time the damage has been seriously done on those boys and girls, you now see their mother's en masse in churches and other religious gatherings seriously praying and fasting for God to touch the soul of those already destroyed children.

We play and pray too much in this country!
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by fdnoble2(m): 12:51pm On Apr 07, 2020
I once met a 13 years old girl written utme some years back. Her mother had to follow her 2 her exams center bcus she she's too young 2 travel alone. I wonder how those little kids will handle life after admission. I support govt on this new policy
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by tot(f): 12:51pm On Apr 07, 2020
Good initiative, I support imposing an age limit but age 12 is way too high.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Evercurious(f): 12:51pm On Apr 07, 2020
Tallesty1:
If you go to private schools and see the lifestyles of children there, especially those from rich homes, you will weep.

They do all manna of rubbish and some good ones will be looking at them like they're aliens. The society is messed up already, so parents need to spend time with their kids and teach things they should know.

This will help stabilize their source of moral guidance to a good extent but the opposite is the case.
Today's parents actually think making money available to kids is the best.

I know a woman here, she leaves home by 6am and returns by 10pm. The husband leaves by 7:30am and returns around 9:30pm. Sometimes he would go to pick the woman up and both of them will come home by 10pm.

Then they will spend like an hour praying God to bless, guide and direct their kids so they won't join bad company.

I called her one day and said to her "ma'am, a day spent with your child is more useful to the child than a year of prayer"

But the love money won't let her listen to reason.

Dont bother, just wait and watch her go for almost every and any night vigil and prayer ground in future.. It's just as sure as the rising of the sun.. I dont wish her bad but it l surely come
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 12:52pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Because they are exceptional

The same reason a 13 year old established a company as CEO and is a millionaire
The same reason a 19 year old iin the UK has a Phd

How was it determined that the child is exceptional.

One of my best TV shows is the Child Genius of UK.

These children are tested by Mensa for their IQ. Then these children undergo serious academic routines to by parents, relative or hired professional who dedicated serious time and effort to impart the right knowledge.

These children are not just taken from primary 1 to Jss 1 just because the child is gifted. The actual gifted child doesn't have the kind of tutorship and materials to be a genius the he truely is in Nigeria. They are only supposed to be exceptional among their piers to pushed to become genius child.

We simply want to copy the feat but not the system. Where is the system for geniuses in Nigeria? 19yr old Phd holder, how do you want to do that? Which Prof would supervise that kind of a child?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by ghettochild(m): 12:53pm On Apr 07, 2020
yers6:
I swear!!!!!!!! This is the best policy in education sector in recent years. Was still discussing this very crucial issue with woman days ago!!!!

Imagine a scenario whereby some new generation 'sophisticated' parents wants their wards in JSS 1 at the age of 7, 8, 9 or 10 and by the time the kid is 16 or 17, would already be done with university! And then by 19 would be done with nysc and then start working. And for those in majority, may not get a good job at that stage and so, life problems start hitting them with so much frustration which they were not fully prepared or grounded to face and then they resort to drugs, prostitution and other dangerous vices just to keep face or survive!

And there is where the challenge starts. Because they are still teenagers with the enormous mantle of grown adult's headaches, they become so directionless in life especially because most Nigerian men don't intend to settle down maritally or even take life very serious till they are 30 years and above. FACT!

Come to clubs on the island and you would weep for the new generations our so called enlightened and cosmopolitan parents are now raising. You would see young girls of 15, 16 from mostly Christian and Religious higher institutions of learning like Covenant, Babcock (the Babcock lady giving head last year in the viral video comes to mind here), Redeemers, Mountain Top, Caleb, Unilag, Leads, Alkhima, Afe Babalola, etc, flooding some of the most exquisite, expensive and classy night clubs on the island, in Owerri, Benin, PH, Abuja every and every weekend!

Or why do you think new exquisite clubs are opening up every other day in Lagos and those cities mentioned? High rate of slay queens everywhere? Or astronomical numbers of mamalawos on IG? Or the fact that weed, codeine, and other 'get high' drugs are recording the craziest sales ever? Its beyond just the fact there are big boys ready to spend but simply because the young and willing underage girls from the higher institutions of learning abounds massively like the sands in the ocean. You see young girls at age 17, 18, 19 among them already having flapping and seriously sagged breasts**.

And you begin to wonder if they are not young girls from so called prestigious and religious universities where security was very tight, where morals were preached and impacted on all fronts, where their parents spend fortunes on them to be in so called best schools?

If you were one brought up in a strict home and responsible background and happen to see things as they are in those cities mentioned, you would weep bitterly.

Don't get get this submission wrong as this is not to generalise that all underaged kids in universities are bad or irresponsible. Far from it. Still a lot are well raised and doing remarkably well even after graduation. Because age at times doesn't translated to maturity. But the danger lies in having kids who are not raised well to fully absorb the crude shocks of life in the majority!

How can you explain so many 16 years olds in 400 level in universities but are already deeply enmeshed in drug abuse? Or the girls that have committed several abortions that they have lost counts? Or those who have been to 100's of exquisite clubs in and out of the country at age 16/17? Thats why you see so many childish comments on social media posts and forum especially on Nairaland in recent years and you begin to wonder, who are these so called young adults with terribly childish mentality? How can you then explain the highest numbers of young boys and girls committing suicides in recent years when we all know Nigerian rarely commit suicide? By time the damage has been seriously done on those boys and girls, you now see their mother's en masse in churches and other religious gatherings seriously praying and fasting for God to touch the soul of those already destroyed children.

We play and pray too much in this country!
This is all beautiful nonsense u have just typed here...
So u saying its cos these lots are younger or come from rich homes.. And who says poor man's kids ain't worse even if they can't afford going to night clubs...
Bros ur brain dey pain u.. I see nothing here but hatred for kids from affluent homes.. Abeg go work n make ur kids enter university at age 23 to 25..ode oshi
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:56pm On Apr 07, 2020
haaaaaaaaa:
So that they will graduate and not have the opportunity to work in multinationals like KPMG, Accenture etc. Wicked human beings
They want to put their children studying abroad to fill such slots
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 12:57pm On Apr 07, 2020
hush15:

First of all leave that story of what you studied. It is irrelevant
What do you mean by
Comprehending the learning experience?
If we have graduates with book knowledge and no application knowledge as you call it then the solution is that everyone must be 12 before starting secondary school?

What kind of reasoning is that?

What you studied is meaningless if it does not influence reasoning

That a problem exists does not mean anything will fix it
That is like saying we should drink bleach for coronavirus

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Ojugunrege(f): 12:59pm On Apr 07, 2020
Everything gets messed up in this country. Why don't we try to just get things right?
While it's laudable what this law is trying to address which is underage admissions to secondary school, the age recommendation is wrong.

The age for JSS1(Year 7) is 11-12, which simply means the pupil is at least 11 on entry and will be 12 during that school year. A lot of good secondary schools in Nigeria already have this rule.

Not to enter JSS1 at 12 as Lagos state is proposing.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Deepthoughts: 12:59pm On Apr 07, 2020
Pious101:
Na wa o...that means they re expected to finish secondary school at 18 years of age when even at 16 some are already in level 1 or 2 in higher institution.
And what do those 16 17 years students ends up achieving?, most still lack the maturity n confidence to function properly in professional organizational set up, sound education should be all round,I support the policy.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 1:00pm On Apr 07, 2020
adanny01:

How was it determined that the child is exceptional.

One of my best TV shows is the Child Genius of UK.

These children are tested by Mensa for their IQ. Then these children undergo serious academic routines to by parents, relative or hired professional who dedicated serious time and effort to impart the right knowledge.

These children are not just taken from primary 1 to Jss 1 just because the child is gifted. The actual gifted child doesn't have the kind of tutorship and materials to be a genius the he truely is in Nigeria. They are only supposed to be exceptional among their piers to pushed to become genius child.

We simply want to copy the feat but not the system. Where is the system for geniuses in Nigeria? 19yr old Phd holder, how do you want to do that? Which Prof would supervise that kind of a child?
I am a genius cool

Seriously

The point is that this kind of policy should be debated
The age in the UK you mention is 11
How did we arrive at 12 and why impose it on private schools without public debate
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by doyinbaby(f): 1:00pm On Apr 07, 2020
bukatyne:

What boss?

And the poor child comes out of school at 26yrs with no job experience when all companies want 22yr old with 10years experience.

Carry go.

Very senseless policy.
there was a time I heard that Lagos State was recruiting... secret I heard from some people was people whose age is above 30 will not be taken..... finishing school too late can lead to frustration
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Christmasdon(m): 1:00pm On Apr 07, 2020
GOOD RIDDANCE.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by seunayantokun(m): 1:03pm On Apr 07, 2020
It would be a good step if it would be a national policy. That means jamb, etc would be part of the exercise, etc. With many adjustments to the policy, it could be helpful. So, other things being equal, getting a first degree at 22, 23, 24 might not be too bad.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by kemi40837: 1:03pm On Apr 07, 2020
c1ssqgbf4s
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by proffemi: 1:05pm On Apr 07, 2020
Freddyjimoh:

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/lagos-pegs-entry-age-into-jss1-at-12-years/

Very good move! Where are they rushing to?

As a university teacher, I know that one of the reasons we have so many half-baked graduates is that many of them were rushed into the universities, immature, and having not had any time to grow as human beings or discover themselves. Many university students have no idea what they intend to do with their lives, so when the training wheels of the educational system come off, they are lost. Tertiary education only gives you the tools to shape what you have inside you into something valuable to you and to society.

I think this will make that easier.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 1:05pm On Apr 07, 2020
My view is that 11 is a good age and there should be a provision to accommodate children of exceptional abilities
We do not need to overcomplicate things
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Evercurious(f): 1:06pm On Apr 07, 2020
xpool:

Upon the the whole long note that you wrote, you only got 2 likes.
It shows that your effort, time and submission are primitive, backward, depressive, stupid and annoying.
You just applauded the same old schizophrenic Nigerian politician, who has nothing to offer his citizens except deception, corruption, failure and oppression.
You don't peg people's destiny, Lagos state will lose. You have just opened way to more birth date forgeries and death of geniuses in Lagos.
Because the state does not want to work, like all Nigerian politicians whose brains are vegetables, it is seeking for a way out which they is the easiest.
Who do us this things?
Instead of fighting against quota system, principle of educationally developed/undeveloped areas as determinant of admissions you creating more problems.
The whole Europe and USA is seeking where to buy face masks, protective gears, gloves and hydroxychloroquine, they are turning to India.
In our stability in terms of covid19, we can not think of a way to help the world and even boost our economy. We can't think of nothing to produce, no state governor is even thinking, except on grabbing the peoples money.
Geniuses entering schools at early stage is not the reason for antisocial behavior.
Continue clapping

Is it by the number of likes? Smh.. You should know we have 'lazy: youths that are not patient enough to read.. Moreover how many likes have you?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by starstaz(m): 1:08pm On Apr 07, 2020
For as long we are together in this Boat called Nigeria , please shine your eyes very well.

These policies as good as it may appear on paper is targeted on the Emerging Middle class. May I ask who will be the beneficiary of this policy down the line: say ten or a decade from now, it will be our elite children schooling in Europe and America. They set laws for us and never for once obey such laws. I will give u korona or Covid examples.

When Abba kyari came back from Germany, Did he isolates himself for 14 Days ditto Atiku Abubakar son Ditto all our Senators and HoRep. Kyari even wrote an open letter to the speaker complaining bitterly how members of the National assembly dissed being checked by medical personal at the airport. I can cite similar examples on and on. My people shine ur eyes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

10 Life Lessons Every Nigerian Student Should Know Before Graduating From School / Queen’s College Teacher Accused Of Sexually Molesting Girls Finally Responds(pic / Doctor Aarinola Olayia Breaks OAU 28-Year Record (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.