Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,602 members, 7,958,843 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 05:10 AM

Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. (3168 Views)

Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence / Do You Know That This Sentence Contains All The English Alphabet? / Which Of This Sentence Made U The Happiest In Your Sec School Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by 1stHooligan(m): 7:55am On Apr 08, 2020
MrBachelor:
Words with a vowel sound are preceded with the article "an". And words with a consonant sound are preceded with the article "a".

Thus, "S" in that sentence has the vowel sound "e". It is pronounced as /es/. Therefore, the sentence is correct.

To further explain, take the letter /U/ in the following words;

Umbrella and Uniform. In "Umbrella" the letter /U/ has a vowel sound, while in "Uniform" it has a consonant sound. Same letter but different sounds. Consequently, when using any in a sentence you would have "an umbrella" and "a uniform".

In conclusion, the sound, and not the letter, of the first letter of a word determines the article to be used.

I hope this helps.
nice explanation
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by nlPoster: 8:02am On Apr 08, 2020
Google it?
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by sisisioge: 8:06am On Apr 08, 2020
MrBachelor:
Words with a vowel sound are preceded with the article "an". And words with a consonant sound are preceded with the article "a".

Thus, "S" in that sentence has the vowel sound "e". It is pronounced as /es/. Therefore, the sentence is correct.

Umbrella and Uniform. In "Umbrella" the letter /U/ has a vowel sound, while in "Uniform" it has a consonant sound. Same letter but different sounds. Consequently, when using any in a sentence you would have "an umbrella" and "a uniform".

In conclusion, the sound, and not the letter, of the first letter of a word determines the article to be used.

I hope this helps.

Thanks papi...I was just wondering why I never said an uniform before you typed this grin
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by Preferito(m): 8:08am On Apr 08, 2020
MrBachelor:

I hope this helps.
You just took all these out of my head. You're not dull at all.
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by egopersonified(f): 8:16am On Apr 08, 2020
Please guys, this has nothing to do with vowels, consonants or how it is pronounced. 'An' and 'the' are always used before acrnoyms. SMS is an acronym, so you use 'an'. If SMS is typed in full, 'a' is used. It is either 'an SMS' or 'a Short Message Service'.

Before you ask what is an acronym

acronym

/ˈakrənɪm/

noun

an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).

1 Like

Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by Austeeenxx: 8:20am On Apr 08, 2020
Makavelli25:
Words that start with consonant will take "a"
Words that start with vowels will take "an"

"A" is a vowel so "An Apple"
"B" is consonant so "A Ball"

Thats how it is

The person that typed that message didnt do english in school

My God! Ignorance and arrogance in the same damn post.

1 Like

Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by abbasajao(m): 8:26am On Apr 08, 2020
This is why we stay put to nairaland. It can be very educative at times. Even though snake, boobs, olosho and all irrelevant topics have almost taken over the front page.
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by godfrey01(m): 8:41am On Apr 08, 2020
MrBachelor:

I hope this helps.
one bottle for you.. which brand you dey take
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by Tastyme: 8:44am On Apr 08, 2020
cingelai:
The use of 'an' in that sentence is correct. 'a' is used in words starting in consonant words/sounds, while 'an' is used with words starting with vowel words/sounds.
In this sentence, SMS is transcribed as
/es-em-es/. When pronouncing it, vowel is the first sound being pronounced.
Another example, honour /ɒnə/ we use 'an' when pronouncing honour. eg; It was an honour to be here.

Correct pikin!! Your school fees no waste at all!!
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by MainJoe: 8:58am On Apr 08, 2020
Makavelli25:

Thats how it is

grin grin grin

The pronunciation is an Es Em Es. Not just whether it the Letter is a vowel or consonant. You have made me laugh today. cheesy
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by GOOOGLE504(m): 9:02am On Apr 08, 2020
MrBachelor:

I hope this helps.
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by KosiGee(m): 9:59am On Apr 08, 2020
Makavelli25:
S m S i dont get it bro

Meet MrBachelor for tutorial. He is good.

1 Like

Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by KosiGee(m): 10:03am On Apr 08, 2020
Austeeenxx:

My God! Ignorance and arrogance in the same damn post.

That was rude. You should have corrected him not call him names. He tried to contribute and answer the question.

You have not made any positive contribution to the Op’s question and have no right to call this man ignorant.
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by Nobody: 10:27am On Apr 08, 2020
Makavelli25:

Thats how it is

Lol. How do you pronounce SMS?
Does it not start with an "eh" sound?
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by peace0813(f): 11:45am On Apr 08, 2020
MrBachelor:

I hope this helps.

Over help they worry am grin

See brain
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by AndroBlaze: 12:34pm On Apr 08, 2020
egopersonified:
Please guys, this has nothing to do with vowels, consonants or how it is pronounced. 'An' and 'the' are always used before acrnoyms. SMS is an acronym, so you use 'an'. If SMS is typed in full, 'a' is used. It is either 'an SMS' or 'a Short Message Service'.

acronym

/ˈakrənɪm/

noun

an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).

What you are saying is wrong, there is no exceptions for acronyms - as long the first sound is a vowel sound "an" will be used while if it is a consonant sound ( A NEPA official cut my line yesterday) "a" is rightly used.

I learnt from you MrBachelor, well done.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/indefinite-articles-a-and-an/
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by abbasajao(m): 1:47pm On Apr 08, 2020
egopersonified:

acronym

/ˈakrənɪm/

noun

So how do you explain 'an' in the 'an umbrella '
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by Sufisunni: 1:49pm On Apr 08, 2020
Honest2:
Hello ladies and gents!!

Can anyone please explain the use of "AN" and not "A" in this sentence below.

Dear customers,you will receive 'an'
SMS with your data balance shortly.

Airtel always show me this sentence anytime I try to check my data balance I thought the correct word there should be 'A' SMS instead of "AN" SMS .

I'm confuse, you guys should help me out..

Thanks in anticipation
It's not just the first letter but how it's pronounced matter in deciding either to use "an" or "an"

Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by egojeny1(f): 2:06pm On Apr 08, 2020
MrBachelor:

I hope this helps.
Very good analysis
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 08, 2020
Honest2:
Hello ladies and gents!!

Can anyone please explain the use of "AN" and not "A" in this sentence below.

Dear customers,you will receive 'an'
SMS with your data balance shortly.

Airtel always show me this sentence anytime I try to check my data balance I thought the correct word there should be 'A' SMS instead of "AN" SMS .

I'm confuse, you guys should help me out..

Thanks in anticipation
SMS is pronounced [es em es]. Although the letter "S" is a consonant, the phonetic transcription begins with a vowel. Articles aren't determined by orthographic alphabets but rather the phonetic symbols that is why we have "a house" but "an hour, an honour"
"House" begins with the phonetic symbol [h] while " hour" begins with the vowel sound "au"

1 Like

Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Apr 08, 2020
Makavelli25:

Thats how it is

the person is right

1 Like

Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by Aquilapriscilla: 4:10pm On Apr 08, 2020
MrBachelor:

Thus, "S" in that sentence has the vowel sound "e". It i

I hope this helps.

Good day, plesse do you know anyapp or site that i could use to improve my English?
Thank you
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by egopersonified(f): 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2020
AndroBlaze:

What you are saying is wrong, there is no exceptions for acronyms - as long the first sound is a vowel sound "an" will be used while if it is a consonant sound ( A NEPA official cut my line yesterday) "a" is rightly used.

I learnt from you MrBachelor, well done.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/indefinite-articles-a-and-an/

Wow thanks, I appreciate you.
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by COOL10(m): 8:30pm On Apr 08, 2020
I feel so disgusted when some people say 'An helicopter' or 'An house'. They know themselves undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by oglalasioux(m): 8:58pm On Apr 08, 2020
Makavelli25:

Thats how it is

Vowels are sounds. You are wrong.
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by oglalasioux(m): 9:04pm On Apr 08, 2020
egopersonified:

acronym

/ˈakrənɪm/

noun

So should it be 'a NASA employee' or 'an NASA employee'?
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by Xclusiveme: 10:01pm On Apr 08, 2020
egopersonified:

acronym

/ˈakrənɪm/

noun

Lol bro u need go back to pri school
Re: Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. by egopersonified(f): 7:01am On Apr 09, 2020
Xclusiveme:

Lol bro u need go back to pri school
oglalasioux:

So should it be 'a NASA employee' or 'an NASA employee'?

I am really sorry for this post. It is what I always thought. Androblaze has corrected me. Thanks.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Education / FUTO 2016 Admission Guide (FUTO 2016 Aspirants) / All Questions About Fountain University Osogbo Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.