Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,545 members, 7,827,039 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) (54867 Views)

Don’t Know Your Next Career Move? Read This Short Summary! / Meet Kalengo Kamwendo, Zambia's Youngest Commercial Pilot / Sinmisola Ajibola: How Men Feel When They See Female Pilot In The Cockpit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Randal: 10:03pm On Apr 13, 2020
emmaodet:

And personally, i don't see much future in these industries because in the next 10/20 year or more, robots and machines will replace all these conventional jobs.
China says by 2025 or so, they won't use human pilots gain rather produce planes that will be run by robots.
Technology/5G is really bring a different dimension to the world. Believe me bro.
Rather than waste your money and energy on these courses, go for Robotic science, Artificial Intelligence courses or Remote operation.
Those are the future jobs with high paying careers that will be short of workers.
Because most planes, ships or cars will be operated by humans remotely from their houses rather than been operated in them.
I have a family friend now in germany, he works for an automobile company.
He works from home by operating the robots to assemble the cars while he is being paid per hour.
That could only be possible due to the strong and unbreaking signals and network of 5G.
The world is changing bro and we need to change with it.

This has just gotten me to think wider. I appreciate your response. I'm taking an online course on AI and I think I just have to put in more efforts
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by iFukSimplyleo: 10:04pm On Apr 13, 2020
[s]
CoronaVirusPro:
Rather go to Edo state aviation school
[/s]
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 10:05pm On Apr 13, 2020
Randal:

This has just gotten me to think wider. I appreciate your response. I'm taking an online course on AI and I think I just have to put in more efforts

Put in more effort bro because that is the future, in fact that is the present.
I'm also going to do same this year.

2 Likes

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Mhimi007(m): 10:11pm On Apr 13, 2020
Spacewalk:
I'm in my finals mechanical engineering in of the the universities around north. please, where do I start from?
you should first graduate from college...and you study mech eng its an added advantage you will be more in luck than the rest of us

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Skmoda(m): 10:12pm On Apr 13, 2020
fuckpro:

Answer these

You should be at least below 30 at most 35,why? Because at 40 you would be renewing your medicals yearly while below that its 2 years or so

Do you suffer from motion sickness
Meaning do you feel like vomiting when you are in a high speeding vehicle,work on that before committing

Your eye sight your health extremely important
That's why the ideal age for commencing a career 16 or early 20s

That's when you are the peak of health
and airlines are willing to train you if you have a ppl with hours or a cpl

Money money money keep nothing less than 20 million for a realistic chance of being a cpl holder

Good luck
Bros I ain't doing this shit again cuz it's too expensive so I switched carrier......I was telling you the bills of the school for CPL at Daytona
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by mattsejuro(m): 10:36pm On Apr 13, 2020
DanDeeBoss:
Helicopter pilot

Fixed wing pilot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by kazyhm(m): 10:54pm On Apr 13, 2020
fuckpro:

Wrong on the instrument part
After getting your ppl (private pilot licence)
You train for commercial pilot licence which involves instrument flying mainly and others

You may get a fixed wing non instrument commercial pilot licence but you won't be marketable no airline would hire you

So instrument license is not an option especially in fixed wings,I have seen commercial helicopter pilot without instrument license but not fixed wings

ATPL (Air transport pilot licence) is one earned after flying a number of thousand hours in a company and you are within reach of being a captain,you now go for both the written and flying test usually in USA

For some schools like 43rd air school in SA
You can sit for an ATPL EXAM but the licence is frozen until you get the number of hours while working or building hours

ATPL is never an initial licence is for those who have the commercial flying time and experience

As have said...instrument rating is not for novice as portrayed by the op......PPL, CPL, ATPL, type rating et al

I know what it entails to get an ATPL

You can only fly private with PPL

I don't see what difference from what you quoted and what you typed......
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Tulsaguy: 10:55pm On Apr 13, 2020
At least this one better pass bobrisky boobs on display...toto dike slapped olakunle, Ned nwoko peeps at Regina Daniel mother's backside kinds of news....
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by femlab13(m): 11:06pm On Apr 13, 2020
Nice post by explorer. I am never disappointed
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by mascot87(m): 11:12pm On Apr 13, 2020
lereinter:

Well done Boss

Nice thread again

Good to meet you

I have done what you ask me to do in the other thread sir
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by domido(m): 11:13pm On Apr 13, 2020
kazyhm:

Explorer tried this time but some information are not totally correct and the procedure are not as listed....yes you can be a pilot without being a graduate......Nigeria is just certificate crazy..,..the ideal age to start a pilot career is 16/17.......

instrument rating is not for novice, it for pilot with ATPL.

Also it misleading to include geography as a needed subject..........as I have seen a boy that applied for geography during jamb registration as a prerequisite for his life Dream (becoming a commercial airline pilot)

Its engineering course one needed...mechanical, Electrical et al

To get employment in Nigeria is hard as a pilot, airliners prefers whites

To get sponsorship by airlines is harder....however, Bristow is doing great in that regard.

Scholarship of such amount is not easy to come by. The amount mentioned is expensive. I'm not surprised. Thanks anyway.
Why would they prefer white if they went through the same process? Curious
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Glistinin(m): 11:16pm On Apr 13, 2020
emmaodet:

Sent you a PM.
Let us talk offline.
About you working at sea, i guess you have chief engineer license and if so, from which country, your working experience and license limitations.
I can connect you with Tide water crewing manager if you don't mind offshore jobs.
I heard they pay chief engineers around 1.8m
Baba please can I work under you and learn the ropes? I really like what you do.

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by domido(m): 11:16pm On Apr 13, 2020
Goalnaldo:
it wasn't listed bro. Someone suggested it.
Alright.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by EngtTemmy(m): 11:34pm On Apr 13, 2020
Explorers:
Nigerian pilot certificates: Stage 2

There are two main certificates you have to get if you wish to be a pilot:

1. Medical certificate
2. Aviation certificate

You can get several types of each certificate. If we are talking about your medical document, it can differ depending on your aircraft category. For example, those Nigerians who are looking to work as private pilots might need a third or second class document.

Those who will become commercial pilots will need to get the first class document.
Besides having an up-to-date medical certificate, it is necessary to get your aviation document to be eligible for flying on private and commercial jets and airplanes.

Here are the types of aviation certificates you will need to get if you wish to become a Nigerian pilot after graduating from one of the aviation schools:

CFI - while this document is not required when you wish to work for a private or commercial company, Certified Flight Instructor is a nice option for college students who want to become flight instructors, teach others to fly and earn more flying hours (which is good for their future job)

IR - Instrument Rating, this document is must-have for every pilot as it proves that a person can control the plane in case of bad weather and different problems or situations.

PPC - Private Pilot Certificate, which is needed by every person who wants to fly on a private small plane.

CPC - Commercial Pilot Certificate, which is required by every Nigerian who is looking to work for a commercial company and control civilian aircraft. This document is only available to people who are 23 years old or older.
Thanks for the information.
You need to monetize your skill, it will nice if you own a blog, i can help you build one at a very low cost. You can send me a message adesiyantope2014@gmail.com if you are interested.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Basher8583: 11:38pm On Apr 13, 2020
dexpendable:
Lol why would anyone who wants to become an international pilot study in Nigeria. You even called the cpl a document to earn.

Please let's do proper fact checking before we come up posting.

You can ask questions. And let's discuss further.

What is this idiot talking. Will you get out of this thread. Your Negative energy is to toxic.
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 11:44pm On Apr 13, 2020
Glistinin:
Baba please can I work under you and learn the ropes? I really like what you do.

Work under me keee, i be employee too bro.
I never get shipping company yet ooo
What are the things you want to learn?

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Basher8583: 11:45pm On Apr 13, 2020
superamoled:
Securing a pilot job in Nigeria is near impossible and I'm saying this as a commercial licensed pilot in Nigeria without a job even after obtaining my certificate of flight instructing and spending millions of Naira (sponsored) on building flight hours.

It feels like it was not worth pursuing and spending all that money on a dream that will be crushed by this country.

Anyone with a pilot job connections should please link me up. Willing to fly any type of plane (type rating required or not)

But you mentioned that you were sponsored was it an airline or someone with link to an airline? if it was then why were you not employed. if I was to sponsor you I would have made plans for a job for you after schooling that way my investment will not have been wasted
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Biingoo: 11:46pm On Apr 13, 2020
emmaodet:

Bro, which vsl do you work on? And company? Position?
Why take 700k as a DPO/second mate? Why? Na wa ooo
I'm not a deck officer sir, I'm a 3rd Engr sir. I'm just telling you what second officers earn here. Is 700k too poor for a dp2 vessel?
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by emmaodet: 11:59pm On Apr 13, 2020
Biingoo:
I'm not a deck officer sir, I'm a 3rd Engr sir. I'm just telling you what second officers earn here. Is 700k too poor for a dp2 vessel?

I think yes, it is poor bro.
Which company?
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by fashrola(m): 12:05am On Apr 14, 2020
emmaodet:

Ok bro.
Where? Nigeria? Ghana?UK?

Nigeria....
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by superamoled: 12:07am On Apr 14, 2020
Basher8583:

But you mentioned that you were sponsored was it an airline or someone with link to an airline? if it was then why were you not employed. if I was to sponsor you I would have made plans for a job for you after schooling that way my investment will not have been wasted

Was sponsored by a family member that didn't have connections with any airline or government. At the time, we didn't think it would be difficult securing a job in the aviation industry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Genniez(f): 12:17am On Apr 14, 2020
Explorers:
The average salary of a Nigerian pilot depends on a number of factors. How experienced the pilot is, the Flying hours (how many hours he/she has flown), and Pilot’s personal ranking Rating types Company (the airline the pilot works for)

Every new pilot (who has no experience and has just graduated from an aviation college) usually has a NCAA license (it is called CPL or Commercial Pilot License) but does not have a rating yet.

He/she may have problems with finding a job right after the graduation and can only hope for ‎₦200,000 to ‎₦500,000 if lucky(in a good airline company) per month. This can only happen if the employer will send their new pilot to Type Rating courses.

Pilots who are first officers (FO) and senior first officers (SFO) meaning they do have their Type Rating can expect their salaries up to ‎₦800,000 per month. In their situation, the amount of money they are paid absolutely depends on the company that offers them a job, their experience and flying hours.

Salary of Captain, Local captains can expect a higher salary than new pilots.

Their average monthly salary depends on the company and their working hours. Depending on these factors, these Nigerian pilots might be paid from ‎₦500,000 to ‎₦1,500,000 Naira a month.

International captain/pilot flying for international companies can earn ‎₦2,000,000 per month.
nice info ..but pilot is the general name ,while captain is a highest rank, which is the Pic(pilot in command )and has the final say in an airplane.
Captains earn above 2 millions just for local flight oo..then first officers, senior first officers are from 1- 1.5million monthly (local flights.)
But I would strongly adviser that it is necessary to get your first degree before becoming a pilot ,as most companies do ask for NYSC certificate or HND (Which is unto who get godfather)before any other degree ..
In Nigeria aviation school they don't use Boeing to teach ,which makes it difficult to get a job after school,so you have to go for type rating as most airlines are Boeing or airbus standard..Best is that you learn abroad because the certificate is world recognised unlike when you study in nigeria ,one is limited and can't get an international job except you go for conversion ( double money).

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by opeey(m): 12:17am On Apr 14, 2020
superamoled:

Yes, securing a job abroad is much easier
Thanks for your insight
pls do extensive research on Canada. is like they do a special immigration for pilots because they are in need of pilot. I read somewhere not quite long but can't remember.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by superamoled: 12:20am On Apr 14, 2020
opeey:

pls do extensive research on Canada. is like they do a special immigration for pilots because they are in need of pilot. I read somewhere not quite long but can't remember.

Alright, I'll do a research on that. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by opeey(m): 12:27am On Apr 14, 2020
[quote author=RRWraith post=88406156]
Tell us your experience, I am sure other aspiring pilots will love to hear from you

From my extensive research Florida is one of the best places to attend a flight school buh its cost of living, accomodation and is expensive..
And for the flight hours, I think you need 1500 flight hours to make it to the cockpit of the average airlines as co-pilot.
Its standard FAA requirement, i think it was formally 1000hours.

Another thing i got from my personal research a while ago was that not all student pilots make it to the cockpit...its expensive being a pilot and airlines are not willing to pay for training as much and only a few very expensive schools will give you 1500 flight hours and i didnt even find one of such schools in the US...you have to hustle for it and from private plane or light craft charters and per hours charters may range from about $300 to $700 or even more(cant remember vividly, been a while) that leaves a student to hustle really hard enough to fend for himself and also to afford to accumulate flight hours enough to even be considered by any cheap airline. It hard out there unless you have rich parents or sponsors or a good scholarship.

My 2 cents

MODIFIED: I just remember i did stumble on one flight school that guarantees training and the required 1500 flight hours on the Airbus A320 and A321neo to get you on any commercial airline. buh its not even in the US and its very expensive...I still have a mail from that flight school.
Application alone is about 800k
full training is approximately 70M
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by opeey(m): 12:27am On Apr 14, 2020
RRWraith:

Tell us your experience, I am sure other aspiring pilots will love to hear from you

From my extensive research Florida is one of the best places to attend a flight school buh its cost of living, accomodation and is expensive..
And for the flight hours, I think you need 1500 flight hours to make it to the cockpit of the average airlines as co-pilot.
Its standard FAA requirement, i think it was formally 1000hours.

Another thing i got from my personal research a while ago was that not all student pilots make it to the cockpit...its expensive being a pilot and airlines are not willing to pay for training as much and only a few very expensive schools will give you 1500 flight hours and i didnt even find one of such schools in the US...you have to hustle for it and from private plane or light craft charters and per hours charters may range from about $300 to $700 or even more(cant remember vividly, been a while) that leaves a student to hustle really hard enough to fend for himself and also to afford to accumulate flight hours enough to even be considered by any cheap airline. It hard out there unless you have rich parents or sponsors or a good scholarship.

My 2 cents

MODIFIED: I just remember i did stumble on one flight school that guarantees training and the required 1500 flight hours on the Airbus A320 and A321neo to get you on any commercial airline. buh its not even in the US and its very expensive...I still have a mail from that flight school.
Application alone is about 800k
full training is approximately 70M
is not up to 70m. the one I am currently processing in Canada is about $67k including a year living expenses.
you can get more info. just search for aerocadet

4 Likes

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by castrokins(m): 12:45am On Apr 14, 2020
A While Ago, Ibom Air Was Hiring Pilots

superamoled:
Securing a pilot job in Nigeria is near impossible and I'm saying this as a commercial licensed pilot in Nigeria without a job even after obtaining my certificate of flight instructing and spending millions of Naira (sponsored) on building flight hours.

It feels like it was not worth pursuing and spending all that money on a dream that will be crushed by this country.

Anyone with a pilot job connections should please link me up. Willing to fly any type of plane (type rating required or not)
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by 0neal(m): 12:50am On Apr 14, 2020
Explorers:

Nigeria Civil Aviation Training Centre (NCAT), Zaria is one and cost ‎₦8,000,000 - ₦9,000,000.

You can get state or political sponsorship or find an airline company that can pay for your studies, offer you a scholarship or financial support (in return, you will have to work for it after graduation) and minimize your expenses.

Another option is going through the Nigeria Defense Academy, then join Nigerian Air force training.

There are more than 35 aviation schools in Nigeria. When the time comes to choose, make sure it is officially approved by the Federal Aviation Association shortly known as FAA. Every school has its own set of rule.

Interesting thread

From what I know, there are only two flying training Institute in Nigeria
1) NCAT Zaria
2) International Aviation college Illorin

And the regulatory body in charge of Aviation in Nigeria is NCAA - Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by superamoled: 12:51am On Apr 14, 2020
castrokins:
A While Ago, Ibom Air Was Hiring Pilots

Yes. I applied

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Wilson125(m): 2:06am On Apr 14, 2020
emmaodet:

Not different from what sailors earn and the courses are a bit cheaper than pilots.
I am a second officer and depending on company, certificate and experience you will get between 250k to 2.2m at my level sailing offshore or holding a north to south africa sailing ticket/license
i mean seafaring pays more bro, was even thinking until i saw the pay, captains onboard ships earn more, just imagine going onboard international vessels with imo pay? ��‍♂️.. 3rd engr onboard
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Basher8583: 2:13am On Apr 14, 2020
superamoled:

Was sponsored by a family member that didn't have connections with any airline or government. At the time, we didn't think it would be difficult securing a job in the aviation industry

Bro you should have done your research well now. That money no be small money oh. I won't throw away such investment like that
Re: How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) by Nobody: 2:17am On Apr 14, 2020
emmaodet:

What kind of surveyor sir?
We have what we call Classification society like ABS, BV, Lloyd register that employs Marine Surveyors who come to the ship for inspection to ensure ships are compliant with International Maritime Organisation / ISM standard before issuing us certificate of compliance.
And you would have worked previously on a ship as either a chief engineer or so to attain that position.

Surveying and geoinformatics, I have never worked in a ship before. The above course covers both marine survey.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Inner Galaxy Group Treating Nigerians Like Slaves / Adenuga's Globacom Sacks 90 Married Female Staff - LasgidiOnline.com.ng / Pot-Bellied Nigerian Police Officers: Police Commission Worried

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.