Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,574 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? (37836 Views)

Woman Asks Husband To Return Her Virginity And Standing Breasts For Divorce / Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) / Woman Begs Her Estranged Husband To Come And Collect His Bride Price. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Vulcan24(m): 3:14pm On Apr 14, 2020
it's basically the same thing if u goto court

the father would most times visit the child and u probably might not av capacity to take care of the child when they come to you.

moreso it's traumatic when they are leaving so don't try to replay the episode by having them over and then going again

secondly for future references don't take the bride price back, let the separation and all be in the woman who initiated it. apart from finances history and karma repays ppl in marriage .... u do well u see it, u do bad u see it too.

lastly it's traumatic and might affect you for the rest of your life esp this scenario of wanting d woman back but she blatantly refuse, I tell u most of this is caused initially by the man thinking he had met the right woman and then things brew that surprised him.

when he's about adjusting the woman breaks and said enough.

it's the only definition of incompatibility

nevertheless moveon and most likely look back to those women who wants you and you never did .... they are your way out.

1 Like

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by chukwuibuipob: 3:15pm On Apr 14, 2020
cool Nonsense!Take ur kids back from her b4 she useless/corrupt them with her lifestyle.Leave the dowry for her
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 14, 2020
loschivatos:
My tradition, na you go take your hand drop my child for my doorstep. Except that child is not mine.

Collect the pride price, let her go her way.

The children belong to the man. Full stop.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by chocolatelady(f): 3:15pm On Apr 14, 2020
Traditionally in Igbo land, if the woman ‘s family did not return the bride price. Any child the woman gave birth to after separation belongs to her husband. I mean her former husband. Men have to be careful in marrying separated or divorced women becos if the man happens to marry the woman when the woman’s family failed to return the bride price to her ex husband hence the present husband is just giving birth for another person. The reason is that it is assumed that the woman is still married to her ex husband. So returning the price is the first thing to do before the woman can remarry. If they did court wedding, they can as well file for divorce where all the conditions will be listed including how the man will be seeing his child and also amount for the child’s upkeep.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by tydi(m): 3:16pm On Apr 14, 2020
immaq8:
first you stated a kid, later children.
Nevertheless, in my tradition if the man do not collect the bride price or the lady family do not return the bride price, it means they are still married. if the lady sleep with another man it's known as abomination.
secondly, if the lady haven't remarry, the man can visit the kid(s) in her new home rather fix a venue.

And some women left their husband house cohabiting with another man probably already having sex with the man and they haven't even returned the bride price the man family paid and you're telling me the wrath of God will not come on such women same time the man never knew he is same time jeopardizing his future with the whorish woman the bible warned about..

In my case I would leave both the child and woman for the new man.
Life is too short for rubbish abeg.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by abeggnow: 3:16pm On Apr 14, 2020
lonelydora:
I still don't understand why many of these indomie generation kids are leaving their marriages.

On Easter Sunday, a woman with 2 kids ran away from her home abandoning her kids with the husband. Why? We are yet to know.

Why can't girls of nowadays stay and make their marriage work?

it is real simple . Western influences to be specific Smerican influence . You see they spend a lot of time watch the kadesians and the likes. And belive life is really like that also the copy the negative western influence but neglect the positive . So basically thier values are corrupted

1 Like

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by BlissB(f): 3:17pm On Apr 14, 2020
Ladycewhy:
In my place, a woman can return bride price and if the man refuses out of wickedness there are extreme methods to return it.
Which place are you from?
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by kingthreat(m): 3:17pm On Apr 14, 2020
Im simply pitying the new husband grin
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Kingofpalmgroov: 3:18pm On Apr 14, 2020
Life of a typical Niger Delta marriage.

humble2:
Hello people

Please help with your inputs....I will be very brief.

A man married a woman.. the marriage produced a kid. Along the line they had an unreconcilable issue...I called it unreconcilable because the man had begged the woman, called elders and everyone in sight to help beg but the woman is unforgiving. Now after some years of the woman staying out of their matrimonial home. (Cos she moved out with the children) she called the man and told him she wants to move on and remarry and that the man should tell her how to return the dowry paid on her. She is also making the man sign an undertaking that he can always come to see the children whenever he wants. Though the agreement didn't state that the children can always visit their father whenever they want.

Now my question,, should the man accept the dowry or he should reject it but let her move on?

Secondly, the agreement stating that he can only visit the children at her maybe new home. Is it proper? Cos as it is the children cant go to their fathers. Please ur opinions are welcomed.. DNT mind my typography.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by lograr(m): 3:22pm On Apr 14, 2020
chocolatelady:
Traditionally in Igbo land, if the woman ‘s family did not return the bride price. Any child the woman gave birth to after separation belongs to her husband. I mean her former husband. Men have to be careful in marrying separated or divorced women becos if the man happens to marry the woman when the woman’s family failed to return the bride price to her ex husband hence the present husband is just giving birth for another person. The reason is that it is assumed that the woman is still married to her ex husband. So returning the price is the first thing to do before the woman can remarry. If they did court wedding, they can as well file for divorce where all the conditions will be listed including how the man will be seeing his child and also amount for the child’s upkeep.

Will you accept the children given birth to after leaving you if you are the former husband ?

2 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by jeff1607(m): 3:23pm On Apr 14, 2020
the dowry shouldn't be the only thing returned, all expenses paid by the man during the wedding preparations should be included should be returned

1 Like

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by nams77: 3:23pm On Apr 14, 2020
Miradamian:
U can collect the bride price back according to tradition.if not they will use legal means to make u collect it back. U have to rewrite a new agreement about the visitation.it has to indicate that the kids can as well visit their father but only when they have become teenagers BC men use that visiting style to kidnap their young kids therefore making them forget their mum.they can visit u but only when they are older
So its the woman that will not "kidnap" the children and indoctrinate them with hate against their father?
Smh

2 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by nams77: 3:25pm On Apr 14, 2020
Miradamian:
U can collect the bride price back according to tradition.if not they will use legal means to make u collect it back. U have to rewrite a new agreement about the visitation.it has to indicate that the kids can as well visit their father but only when they have become teenagers BC men use that visiting style to kidnap their young kids therefore making them forget their mum.they can visit u but only when they are older
So its the woman that will not "kidnap" nd indoctrinate the children against the father abi?
Smh
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 3:26pm On Apr 14, 2020
lonelydora:
I still don't understand why many of these indomie generation kids are leaving their marriages.

On Easter Sunday, a woman with 2 kids ran away from her home abandoning her kids with the husband. Why? We are yet to know.

Because of the life they lived when they were younger such as following and sleeping with all manner of sugar daddy, sugar boyfriends during their university days as a runsgirl upandan

So now that they are married, all the time in their subconscious mind they will always compare their husbands who is a normal human with those abnormal humans of her past.

This how the problem kicks off

5 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Dollabiz: 3:26pm On Apr 14, 2020
we dont sell our women in southwest !

it is pure slavery

women should submit to their husbands but women should also have a say in their home. period

1 Like

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Rhino1(f): 3:26pm On Apr 14, 2020
If the man accepts it ,that’s brutality
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by pode(m): 3:27pm On Apr 14, 2020
Kunfayakun12:
I have never heard of this tradition before
Yes this kind thing happened in my family, we're the woman returned the money to the man's family and even went to court to signed some documents to back it up,
Traditional yes is possible
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by truthstands01: 3:27pm On Apr 14, 2020
The message is incoherent. Kid and children. I don't get it. But to the point if the story is real, a woman has no right to draft the agreement. How did she leave with the kid or children as you stated. If a couple has unreconcilable issue as u stated, she walked out not the man. Hence, she can't leave with the kid or children. As far as the man paid her bride price, the kid or children belongs to the man. If she wants to remarry, that's her business but she must know that it is adultery she's committing if she sleeps with another man when the marriage has not been completely broken ie the man agreeing for both of them to part ways.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Omoluabi16(m): 3:28pm On Apr 14, 2020
All those igbo guys that spent millions, so the wife has to hustle everything back? Very unique culture.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by DOZTECH: 3:28pm On Apr 14, 2020
Ladycewhy:
In my place, a woman can return bride price and if the man refuses out of wickedness there are extreme methods to return it.

You're married to a Christian Male, it's usually difficult for the man to accept it back due to the bible teaching. But if you're married to a worldly man, I guess it's no big deal to him to accept it back.

So before you apply the extreme approach, know the man you want to marry.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by donbogo(m): 3:29pm On Apr 14, 2020
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by ghettochild(m): 3:29pm On Apr 14, 2020
sisisioge:
The dowry return thing is an igbo thing but I think her people would have to return same to your people.

Regarding the visitation rights, biko draw the agreement together or get a lawyer to help with that as it is important that you guys do this in agreement and cordiality. Does it include provision for child support too? What were her concerns for only allowing visitation within her premises? It is not easy o...try not to escalate the matter too much so you can continue to have assess to your kids. Person wey carry them go before fit disappear patapata with them...good luck.
They do it here too in south Africa
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Grey3262: 3:29pm On Apr 14, 2020
Well the man should be enlightened enough to take a bold and proper step of judicial separation...
Note that whatever documents the woman had given him to sign my be fodged and fraudulent...
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Donlanray: 3:31pm On Apr 14, 2020
It is the court that determines the terms of agreement,not the woman. The marriage can be dissolved by the court. The matter of returning the dowry is not legal, they already have a child between them.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by lokho(m): 3:32pm On Apr 14, 2020
Why not... kini fi s'eeyan
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by LabuleofNigeria: 3:33pm On Apr 14, 2020
If your woman/gf is becoming obsessed with watching Telemundo and the likes...... This is always the result.

My ample advice for guys: Don't settle for over-sabi ladies. Simple
Such rubbish is common with Philosopher ladies aka PhD in Right-o-pandemics

2 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Hadsty23(m): 3:34pm On Apr 14, 2020
Every when there's a divorce call in marriage without kids there should be a refund of bride price... shikena!
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by bonnyhope: 3:35pm On Apr 14, 2020
Yes!! Bride price can be refunded if both parties agreed not to continue with the union due to some irreconcilable issues.

In my place, it is strictly a cultural affair not court issue.

Every penny paid during the marriage process will be refunded but I think this has gradually faded out as it was mostly common those days.
I rarely hear of it now. So until that refunding ritual is performed b4 the woman can legally marry to another man or else she will see anyhow from gods of the land...lol
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by WorkSmartEdu: 3:35pm On Apr 14, 2020
lonelydora:

Because their minds are weak and they go and fill up that weak mind with all the bullshit of nigerian styled feminism and the idiocy from the west. This is without knowing that the systems of the west has been pre-programmed to suit certain decisons and lifestyles. Las las na dem go cry.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Woman Snatches Best Friend’s Husband, Elopes With Him (Photos) / Reaction As Nigerian Lady Amara Records Altercation With Mom Over Her Sexuality / New Year Post Wedding Pictures With My Beautiful Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.