Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,471 members, 7,816,115 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? (37825 Views)

Woman Asks Husband To Return Her Virginity And Standing Breasts For Divorce / Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) / Woman Begs Her Estranged Husband To Come And Collect His Bride Price. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Apr 14, 2020
Collect the bride price with prize
As for present day valuation or demand for interest
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Galactico4ever(m): 3:36pm On Apr 14, 2020
Eulalia:
I'm not an advocate for divorce. So I won't say anything.
I'll just read comments. smiley
Ezigbo Nwanyi! Am So Proud
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by nams77: 3:37pm On Apr 14, 2020
ShenTeh:
Ah.

Don't collect it. Obviously, the man has not forgiven himself but seeks forgiveness from his woman. He shouldn't stoop to negotiate from the short end of the gun. There should be some pride and vim left in the man; he shouldn't beat himself into allowing the wife pay him off.

If she wants a divorce, let her go the route as mandated by law. Serve the man the right papers and get it vide the court. That would also address the child's issue.

Let no one be the judge, jury prosecution and defendant in his/her own case.

Otherwise, the man should let her roam free. She'll also find that she abandoned a lower evil for the devil himself.

We all later realise that our unforgiving nature is our very own fetters.
Its not a matter of paying off. Some custom in the south requires that bride price be returned or it will be deemed that they're still together and if they woman have any sexual relationship in this state, she might suffer repercussion from ancestral arrangement
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Candoit: 3:37pm On Apr 14, 2020
If she return her bride price. Will he return her virginity?

3 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by bizzibodi(m): 3:38pm On Apr 14, 2020
In some tradition if she did not return d bride price & she remarry b4 d eyes of d gods she is an adulterer & d wrath of gods will b upon d children,it will kill then like corona virus.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by ProudBiafran: 3:38pm On Apr 14, 2020
The man has no testicles.

He had his testicles ripped off by his wife.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by thesmallgod(m): 3:39pm On Apr 14, 2020
Customary marriage.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by bonnyhope: 3:39pm On Apr 14, 2020
chocolatelady:
Traditionally in Igbo land, if the woman ‘s family did not return the bride price. Any child the woman gave birth to after separation belongs to her husband. I mean her former husband. Men have to be careful in marrying separated or divorced women becos if the man happens to marry the woman when the woman’s family failed to return the bride price to her ex husband hence the present husband is just giving birth for another person. The reason is that it is assumed that the woman is still married to her ex husband. So returning the price is the first thing to do before the woman can remarry. If they did court wedding, they can as well file for divorce where all the conditions will be listed including how the man will be seeing his child and also amount for the child’s upkeep.

Yeah!

I think we have the same tradition regarding that

Exactly like this in my place
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by afribabe: 3:41pm On Apr 14, 2020
PureGoldh:
You can never please some women no matter what you do.

Ain't tryna be sentimental but truth be told,some women are just something else...even after the dude don beg her finish...she still dey form boss as Bianca ojukwu wey she be nii undecided

If na the man wey wan marry another wife ontop now...she will jejely look for means to poison the man
The man didn't tell us what he did. Begging is not just enough in some cases.....

10 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by humble2: 3:42pm On Apr 14, 2020
Pls for the purpose of clarification....I already apologized to someone regarding the child/children mix up ..just know that a child is involved..

Secondly I won't bring a STORY here seeking for advice..that's insensible of me...this is a reality.

Thank u all for ur contributions...am picking one or two points...
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Apr 14, 2020
Galactico4ever:
Ezigbo Nwanyi! Am So Proud

O wu ya nu.
Imela grin
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by sisisioge: 3:45pm On Apr 14, 2020
ghettochild:

They do it here too in south Africa

Nice to know...thanks for sharing.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by ibkayee(f): 3:45pm On Apr 14, 2020
PureGoldh:
[s]You can never please some women no matter what you do.

Ain't tryna be sentimental but truth be told,some women are just something else...even after the dude don beg her finish...she still dey form boss as Bianca ojukwu wey she be nii undecided

If na the man wey wan marry another wife ontop now...she will jejely look for means to poison the man[/s]
But we don't actually know what the guy did?

7 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by shitshappen(m): 3:46pm On Apr 14, 2020
ShenTeh:
Ah.

Don't collect it. Obviously, the man has not forgiven himself but seeks forgiveness from his woman. He shouldn't stoop to negotiate from the short end of the gun. There should be some pride and vim left in the man; he shouldn't beat himself into allowing the wife pay him off.

If she wants a divorce, let her go the route as mandated by law. Serve the man the right papers and get it vide the court. That would also address the child's issue.

Let no one be the judge, jury prosecution and defendant in his/her own case.

Otherwise, the man should let her roam free. She'll also find that she abandoned a lower evil for the devil himself.

We all later realise that our unforgiving nature is our very own fetters.

Note to self:
Our unforgiving nature is our very own fetters, I can be very vindictive. We learn everyday

1 Like

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Ellasure: 3:47pm On Apr 14, 2020
The lady requesting this advice is only selfish thinking. you are hiding behind one finger. Laws of nature and your traditions Will very soon catch up with you. you acknowledge that the man paid your bride price and fulfill your traditions but now you want to run.

first you have not given information about the cause of seperation leading to you leaving separately for some time now. you now come up with a one sided proposal for divorce.

To many youth, marriage is a spiritual joining of two and witnessed by God's angels and several people. when you marry and failed to cooperate with your partner you are just disturbing yourselves. you will be running from one man to another because all men behave same.

for the problems you have created with your bad behaviour go and complained to your church or mosque marriage counsellor and seek genuine advice from people that know you physically.

if you apply any advice from this page you are floating to nowhere and oyo lo wa.

1 Like

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Jim99: 3:47pm On Apr 14, 2020
Candoit:
If she return her bride price. Will he return her virginity?

Will she return his virginity too?

Was she even a virgin in the first place?

Without him she might probably never bear the name Mother in her lifetime.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by nextstep(m): 3:48pm On Apr 14, 2020
Technically, it's the husband's family that paid the dowry. Yes, the husband may be the one who actually put up the funds, but symbolically, it's from one family to the other.

That said, there doesn't appear to be a legal requirement for dowry (as in it's not in our Marriage Act), which means the divorce can proceed through the courts without any talk of dowry.

But we're talking about our traditional institutions: included in the dowry paid is the assumption that any children born in wedlock belong to the man's family... he may risk his traditional paternity rights by returning the dowry. I would vote NO, he should not "let her go" until he can guarantee his right to see or have his children stay with him, and for them to visit him at any time. This should be in writing so it's fairly balanced.

As an aside, I always wonder why people don't include inflation in the dowry. I mean, 50k paid 10 years ago is worth about 200k today, so in my humble opinion, the man is entitled to 4x what he paid grin

1 Like

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 3:49pm On Apr 14, 2020
humble2:
Pls for the purpose of clarification....I already apologized to someone regarding the child/children mix up ..just know that a child is involved..

Secondly I won't bring a STORY here seeking for advice..that's insensible of me...this is a reality.

Thank u all for ur contributions...am picking one or two points...
...Bros,tell the girl to go sue for divorce if not,she will be putting more curses on her head and if care is not taken and she gets pregnant for another man,the legal husband can sue her for bigamy and that attract a 7 years jail term because it's a criminal offence.The truth is since she wants to remarry,she has to return the kid back to his biological father since he is Alive,She can't take his child and give to another man.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Ellasure: 3:50pm On Apr 14, 2020
don't eat your cake and still imagine it is still in your hand,

reprobates.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 14, 2020
immaq8:
first you stated a kid, later children.
Nevertheless, in my tradition if the man do not collect the bride price or the lady family do not return the bride price, it means they are still married. if the lady sleep with another man it's known as abomination.
secondly, if the lady haven't remarry, the man can visit the kid(s) in her new home rather fix a venue.
It will not be better for your culture and the idiots that wrote that stupid culture. And the girl is even stupid thinking of returning one yeye bride price. So the husband no have sex with her abi?or she no born pikin for him? So all the child labour pains and pregnancy should go for free? It will not be better for men who made those stupid laws

7 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Observer1: 3:52pm On Apr 14, 2020
First of all,did they get married in a registry office?if no,then.

The man must be retarded if you ask me,you can't force a woman to be married to you.if a woman is fadeup ,let her go.

She can easily kill you man.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by afribabe: 3:53pm On Apr 14, 2020
jeff1607:
the dowry shouldn't be the only thing returned, all expenses paid by the man during the wedding preparations should be included should be returned

and is the man also going to return all the woman's contribution to his life so far?

I am not owing hubby any bride price because the token paid/collected was returned to us and we don spend am together.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Jim99: 3:54pm On Apr 14, 2020
Acmepreneur:

It will not be better for your culture and the idiots that wrote that stupid culture. And the girl is even stupid thinking of returning one yeye bride price. So the husband no have sex with her abi?or she no born pikin for him? So all the child labour pains and pregnancy should go for free? It will not be better for men who made those stupid laws

See mentality. spits

So she born for am abi she born for herself?

Without that man she for die childless. Las Las na she lose cuz if she no born for the man, women plenty wey go born for am.

1 Like

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by WiseStarr(m): 3:55pm On Apr 14, 2020
Kunfayakun12:
I have never heard of this tradition before

Infact this is my first time of hearing things like this,this is even beyond me
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by D1zion: 3:57pm On Apr 14, 2020
Kunfayakun12:
I have never heard of this tradition before
the Igbo people does that. I think its just them that have that tradition
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by nezer83: 3:57pm On Apr 14, 2020
humble2:
Hello people

Please help with your inputs....I will be very brief.

A man married a woman.. the marriage produced a kid. Along the line they had an unreconcilable issue...I called it unreconcilable because the man had begged the woman, called elders and everyone in sight to help beg but the woman is unforgiving. Now after some years of the woman staying out of their matrimonial home. (Cos she moved out with the children) she called the man and told him she wants to move on and remarry and that the man should tell her how to return the dowry paid on her. She is also making the man sign an undertaking that he can always come to see the children whenever he wants. Though the agreement didn't state that the children can always visit their father whenever they want.

Now my question,, should the man accept the dowry or he should reject it but let her move on?

Secondly, the agreement stating that he can only visit the children at her maybe new home. Is it proper? Cos as it is the children cant go to their fathers. Please ur opinions are welcomed.. DNT mind my typography.

If they had a court wedding, the marriage is not dissolved until dissolved by the court. Customarily, the bride price can be returned if the man is willing to accept but this time the kids will stay with their father.
Unreconcillable difference means that the woman have her eyes on another man already, maybe her ex, or the man is chronic cheat and beater.
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Lumig: 3:58pm On Apr 14, 2020
Why not Especially at this Coronavirus period
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by afribabe: 3:58pm On Apr 14, 2020
Ellasure:
The lady requesting this advice is only selfish thinking. you are hiding behind one finger. Laws of nature and your traditions Will very soon catch up with you. you acknowledge that the man paid your bride price and fulfill your traditions but now you want to run.

first you have not given information about the cause of seperation leading to you leaving separately for some time now. you now come up with a one sided proposal for divorce.

To many youth, marriage is a spiritual joining of two and witnessed by God's angels and several people. when you marry and failed to cooperate with your partner you are just disturbing yourselves. you will be running from one man to another because all men behave same.

for the problems you have created with your bad behaviour go and complained to your church or mosque marriage counsellor and seek genuine advice from people that know you physically.

if you apply any advice from this page you are floating to nowhere and oyo lo wa.
it's the man asking not lady

3 Likes

Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by andycoal40(m): 3:59pm On Apr 14, 2020
uruba23:
Go to court and seek redress why should she be the one drafting the agreements.

Final
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by Redeem9976: 4:00pm On Apr 14, 2020
see below
Re: Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? by afribabe: 4:01pm On Apr 14, 2020
Jim99:

Will she return his virginity too?

Was she even a virgin in the first place?

Without him she might probably never bear the name Mother in her lifetime.

meaning that the man can singlehandedly bear the name Father in his lifetime.....

All I know is that in case of a divorce/separation, both of them should not expect to return to their pre-marriage state ..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Woman Snatches Best Friend’s Husband, Elopes With Him (Photos) / Reaction As Nigerian Lady Amara Records Altercation With Mom Over Her Sexuality / New Year Post Wedding Pictures With My Beautiful Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.