Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,158 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? (39406 Views)

11-year-old Boy Bags Bachelor’s Degree In Physics While Taking Master’s / Study Abroad For Your Bachelor's, Master's, And Phd / Bachelor's Degree Without JAMB, Post UME, Interview Or Entrance Examination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Damilare65(m): 12:04pm On Apr 16, 2020
pocohantas:

No wonder. It keeps adding up. You already know age has disqualified you from most entry level positions. So, you started dreaming...

Keep dreaming o, but don’t come here to bobo anyone. Na certificate keep NOI for IMF.

No be bachelors degree keep her for IMF abeg . Do you know how many years of experience, and most importantly politics,

And we all know that political position is not by educational qualification
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Geesaintagape: 12:05pm On Apr 16, 2020
Nigerians a country of talkatives

3 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Ojizy1(m): 12:06pm On Apr 16, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:

Don't mind these people who gave up on their dreams.

Did your bro enter as an experienced worker?
Experienced worker

1 Like

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Elijahpeterumor: 12:07pm On Apr 16, 2020
If you have the financial wherewithal to attain a bachelor's degree in whatever course that's in alignment with your dreams then please go for it. And after that, you can go for your masters if you have the ability to do so. Don't let naysayers talk you out of it. Just make sure what you study is relevant in our present society and can be applied to solve real life problems. Even if there are countless graduates that are still unemployed, that shouldn't be where you set your sights, be positive, optimistic and still be realistic. Having the degree gives edge over those who do not and it also lays the foundation on which to build.
However, the truth is, our educational system here in Nigeria are not equipped to help graduates meet the demands of the 21st century. Knowledge in every field gets outdated every seven years and you'd agree with me that our curriculum and most of the things we are being taught are theories propounded centuries before and no practicals whatsoever. The problem is general, excepting of course some private universities that have taken it upon themselves to understand the times and plan accordingly.

That's why education begins after the university. Upon graduation, you should begin acquiring the necessary skills and knowledge that makes you employable because the thing is that no employer gives a hoot about your cert. They are only interested in what you can offer. If you don't satisfy a need, you won't be needed. Please read books on the subject to gain an in-depth and genuine information about the usefulness of your degree and an understanding of the job market. There is so much to know. So much my brother. And the internet is not the ideal place to get spot-on info as there are a lot of garbage and people with the wrong knowledge. Stay blessed.

*#Ellie P.*

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by yanabasee(m): 12:07pm On Apr 16, 2020
NextD18:
If you study well,hard and carefully. Your bachelor's degree will be the best thing to ever happen to you.

Don't allow those who failed in school to deceive you with "School na scam" talks. It isn't. It is very important, if not, thousands of people won't be applying every year to study.

Just be focused and work very hard.

It's never by how much you took your time to study... and how much efforts you put to make a first class....

It's a very little percentage of individuals that excel with their certificates...

A whole lot of first class graduates have digressed into ICT, against what they studied and they're progressive and innovative....

Most physics graduates can never make use of their certificates in Nigeria, whether with first class or a pass!!

What about guidance and counselling graduates?? How many schools employ counsellors these days?

Psychologist nko?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Theconglomerate(m): 12:08pm On Apr 16, 2020
xcabczyxabczzzz:

If you get 1m 5 naira no be small money for you?

It is all about perception dude.
Oga when dem day small money,we dey talk of money weh you fit throway anyhow and no regrets.
I no get energy to argue but 5m isn't small anywhere in the world.
Zuckerberg don't eat 5m naira dinners daily.
That money can be used for other important things.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Onnasucs1(m): 12:09pm On Apr 16, 2020
pmoye:
My bachelor-education is of course very useful. It literally fetches me millions (note the plural) every single month. And because of it I have been to several parts of this world than I can begin to count now.

That said... You would notice I used the word 'bachelor-education' and not degree. This is to delineate it from the certificate which is supposed to be a paper (or electronic) confirmation that you passed through a process that ought to have imparted you with:

1) a training in discipline,
2) a competence,
3) a mental orientation,
4) a set of experiences, and
5) a set of social connections.

It is the sum total of these five (and more) that is called education. The paper (the certificate) itself is useless. It is the level to which you achieve those five qualities that confer value on the paper. In other words, the paper doesn't confer any value on you, you confer value on that piece of paper.

People that are saying 'hand-work' is better than education are naive set of human beings. It doesn't matter whether you are involved in a handiwork, or business, they all involve those five components. And your success ultimately depends on how well you are able to build these qualities. Whether formal education, handiwork, or business, the world is littered with examples of men that have made it big as well as those that are worse than rags.

So, you have all the chances in the world to build yourself into a man that imparts value to your certificate. And never expect that piece of paper to confer any value on you.

this sums it up. I really love this.

2 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by pocohantas(f): 12:09pm On Apr 16, 2020
Damilare65:

No be bachelors degree keep her for IMF abeg . Do you know how many years of experience, and most importantly politics,

She started from a Bachelors degree. Please, we are not talking Nigeria politics headed by a cattle rearer. If you think her educational qualification (and experience) doesn’t come into play, carry the Iyaloja of your village and go there na. grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Theconglomerate(m): 12:10pm On Apr 16, 2020
Damilare65:

Lol,I saw it and just laughed.
I'm guessing all those ladies with degrees we see in banks with their rumpled white shirts will soon enter IMF too grin
To run mouth no dey hard them.
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by stino4win(m): 12:10pm On Apr 16, 2020
I only make use of my degree to get a job for a year, the grace I had was that I was into business even while in school. The job alone cannot pay my bills. I am into business full time know ICT consultancy. I will advice anyone if you are spending so much in getting a degree, also try and invest in any small business, you never can tell.

Check my signature if you need Digital marketing service or develop a mobile app or website.

1 Like

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Apr 16, 2020
It is useless
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Cristlaw(m): 12:11pm On Apr 16, 2020
[quote author=Oluromantic post=88493726]O boy finish and start yahooyahoo business[/quote
You be cow
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Nairalandmonika: 12:12pm On Apr 16, 2020
dukeprince50:
People put too much emphasis and almost all their faith in a degree.

University degree is just like a foundation to greater heights, nothing else.
If u don't want to push wheelbarrow, become a gas attendant or a conductor for a start then get a degree.

Wise people use their degree to secure a Job, save substantial amount then start a business and when the business is big enough to feed them and their family, they resign from their Job.
The money u get from a Job can't make u live, it can only help u survive.
Salary as a whole is like a bribe u take so u can forget ur dreams.

My advice to u is this, get ur certificate, use it to start a life but don't depend on it.
Modified
Don't depend only on ur cert in d next 10yrs, have more streams of income
So what does foolish people use their degree to do? undecided
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by benzion72(m): 12:12pm On Apr 16, 2020
If you dont get a University degree in Nigeria, no matter how rich you are, there is still a part of you that will be haunted with inferiority complex. Ask Chief Olusegun Obasanjo an Army engineer who still went back to the National open University to get a degree in Bible and read up till Phd

2 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Apr 16, 2020
Call or DM us for your undergraduate, postgraduate and MBA Projects/thesis/seminar.
�: 08067578848, 07038879440

Join our whatsapp group for more info.

https:///E8ywm04TA0FKbfnXxuFpD4
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by hustla(m): 12:15pm On Apr 16, 2020
dukeprince50:

If u don't want to push wheelbarrow, become a gas attendant or a conductor for a start then get a degree.

Wise people use their degree to secure a Job, save substantial amount then start a business and when the business is big enough to feed them and their family, they resign from their Job.

My advice to u is this, get ur certificate, use it to start a life but don't depend on it.
Modified

Perspire to aspire spotted

If na business everyone go do, if u come get emergency how u go see doctor for General hospital wey go attend to u?

Una no dey rest

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by xcabczyxabczzzz: 12:15pm On Apr 16, 2020
Theconglomerate:
Oga when dem day small money,we dey talk of money weh you fit throway anyhow and no regrets.
I no get energy to argue but 5m isn't small anywhere in the world.
Zuckerberg don't eat 5m naira dinners daily.
That money can be used for other important things.
Lol, his daily expenses is more than that. But his daily income is 100times that, so.

Forget about Zuck, make we carry am come our level.

How much can you spend daily without felling well pinch from your daily income?
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by hustla(m): 12:15pm On Apr 16, 2020
benzion72:
If you dont get a University degree in Nigeria, no matter how rich you are, there is still a part of you that will be haunted with inferiority complex. Ask Chief Olusegun Obasanjo an Army engineer who still went back to the National open University to get a degree in Bible and read up till Phd

True in a way
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by JayPeeOham: 12:15pm On Apr 16, 2020
dukeprince50:

Modified

This a very powerful nugget!!!

He who has an ear let him hear!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by lakeside79937: 12:16pm On Apr 16, 2020
Not useful for me I studied economics at the university of ibadan I finished in year 2000 and am now working as a nurse at the princess Alexandra hospital in Harlow essex in England .I never worked with my BSC hons

2 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Damilare65(m): 12:16pm On Apr 16, 2020
pocohantas:

She started from a Bachelors degree. Please, we are not talking Nigeria politics headed by a cattle rearer. If you think her educational qualification (and experience) doesn’t come into play, carry the Iyaloja of your village and go there na. grin

The iya oloja in my village is richer, more successful, more influential than most ladies with bachelors degree, or MSC or even PhD . Lol

Noi cannot influence the election of ordinary council chairman in her region, the iya oloja in my village can influence thousands of votes to elect a governor in my state, .

And I will still repeat that it's due to the same cattle politics that you are talking about that got her the IMf position or even world bank sef . . We have many women that are more educated with more degrees than noi in Nigeria, but politics
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Theconglomerate(m): 12:17pm On Apr 16, 2020
xcabczyxabczzzz:

Lol, his daily expenses is more than that. But his daily income is 100times that, so.

Forget about Zuck, make we carry am come our level.

How much can you spend daily without felling well pinch from your daily income?
N200.
Why?
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Damilare65(m): 12:18pm On Apr 16, 2020
Theconglomerate:
Lol,I saw it and just laughed.
I'm guessing all those ladies with degrees we see in banks with their rumpled white shirts will soon enter IMF too grin
To run mouth no dey hard them.

Lol abi na, girls wey most of them Bleep their way to the top
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by ibkayee(f): 12:21pm On Apr 16, 2020
Bachelor's degrees are useful, I will always encourage people to obtain one if possible. Once you manage to get your foot through the door, however, you realise sometimes it's a lot more about who you know and whose ass you kiss than merit

3 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Keziehenry(m): 12:21pm On Apr 16, 2020
Odunolumide:

sell me this space now.
E be like say u know sey I need money badly dis afternoon.
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by IncredibleWrite: 12:21pm On Apr 16, 2020
Degree or no degree, we would advice everybody to get a skill in this age and time. Your degree is not useless, but don't depend sorely on it. Sometime in my 200 Level in the University many years ago, I was burdened and couldn't sleep that night because I was thinking about the way forward in life with all the pessimistic stories I read online. I came to Nairaland and asked this same question on this forum. People gave their divergent views, the unserious ones make a joke out of it as usual, but I wouldn't forget the comment of one man.

He told me that the sole aim of education is to develop your mind and equip you with the necessary knowledge and skills set which you would need to survive in life. He however, stated that the problem with Nigeria is that we focus on the certificate which is where we get it wrong. Translate all the things you were taught in school into praticals, and you can never be poor. School creates opportunities and I can never accept that school is scam. If nothing, the experiences you gather in school should be able to guide your decisions. The university is where you can try and fail, yet you wouldn't be chastised. You can't do so in real life.

That advice from that man changed my life and thought process. I remain indebted to him. Whatever education you acquire, don't forget to add 'self education', that is the real deal now. The internet is the greatest gift of the 21st century, make good use of it.

See my signature and contact us for any writing services today.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by pocohantas(f): 12:22pm On Apr 16, 2020
Damilare65:

The iya oloja in my village is richer, more successful, more influential than most ladies with bachelors degree, or MSC or even PhD . Lol

Noi cannot influence the election of ordinary council chairman in her region, the iya oloja in my village can influence thousands of votes to elect a governor in my state, .

And I will still repeat that it's due to the same cattle politics that you are talking about that got her the IMf position or even world bank sef . . We have many women that are more educated with more degrees than noi in Nigeria, but politics

Uncle, the point is very simple- her educational background played a huge role.

Bachelors degree is not a waste.
Education is not overrated.

EOD.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Ibechris2: 12:24pm On Apr 16, 2020
All this argument about degree or no degree depends on the individual.

However, we all know that to succeed with degree is very narrow and even narrower these days but in the wider space u don't need a degree or any verification to succeed.

There are many unsuccessful degree graduates in Nigeria compared to those uneducated fellows who have made it far without all these B.Sc and Masters many are carrying around these days.

This also does not mean that people are not making it with degrees but not at the rate with those in business,this is because I am a business man and close with wonderful young and enterprising business men who are doing so well.

Let us all try to be insync with realities...then all will be well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by manuelreports: 12:24pm On Apr 16, 2020
BlackShit:

Forget all those degree courses with big, sophisticated names. Youll either end up unemployed, underemployed, or 'over-employed'(good job, good pay, but no single time for yourself or anyone. Your life is practically forfeight)

If you're killing yourself to get admission just forget it. If you're still in the early years of study just dump it. Go learn a technical or digital skill, or use those funds to start a business. You'll surely end up better off than your graduate mates. They will even be working for you.

With the present digital information age knowledge is within the reach of anyone anywhere, not restricted to university walls.

Universities are just money-making ventures for their owners. They don't care one bit about your future.
The funny thing is that some people without degree can deliver more than the ones with degree. I have worked as a human resource personnel before so I am talking authoritatively. Some graduates have nothing to offer. Every body is not meant have a degree even in developed Nations. We too dey over hype degree here.

1 Like

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by tunjidachosen(m): 12:25pm On Apr 16, 2020
Na today I know say illiterates plenty for nairaland, education is about acquiring useful and applicable knowledge, skill, information, It's not about going to the university or College. Most people go to the university to completely waste their parent's money and their own precious time when they have a vocational skill that can be developed, with professional cert to back it up and also talents that can be polished. I have an aunt that was a good trader before going to Uni, even there she had a big store in her hostel and now after school she travels to Dubai and is into fulltime trading.. she just went to school to have the cert(what a waste of time and energy). The only compulsory school levels are nursery and primary(so that you can speak correct english and do basic arithmetic) after that find what is best for you, if it's schooling fine, a trade cool.
Lastly, if you want to be rich and comfortable go to school and get a job but if you want to be wealthy, go the way of entrepreneurship. You can't rise above you employer and your best salary is just a tiny portion of the company's income.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Damilare65(m): 12:25pm On Apr 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Uncle, the point is very simple- her educational background played a huge role.

Bachelors degree is not a waste.
Education is not overrated.

EOD.

Who is your uncle? I'm just saying that education is a necessary evil, and you cant use noi to justify importance of Education abeg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

The 5 Muslim Students Suspended For Wearing Hijab To School In Lagos (Photo) / 22 Things You’ll Understand If Mathematics Was Your Worst Subject / Answer Script Of University Of Uyo Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.