Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? (39419 Views)

11-year-old Boy Bags Bachelor’s Degree In Physics While Taking Master’s / Study Abroad For Your Bachelor's, Master's, And Phd / Bachelor's Degree Without JAMB, Post UME, Interview Or Entrance Examination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by oladapo123(m): 1:23pm On Apr 16, 2020
I want to believe most of the commentators on this subject matter are frustrated unemployed Nigerian graduates.
No course is irrelevant and not marketable in a saner climes but the country we all find ourselves makes those courses seems less relevant.
In summary, your grade or course of study is not a potent determinant of your possibility of securing a lucrative job in Nigeria but the grace of God because we have seen Yoiruba graduate who works in financial institution while banking and finance graduate roams about in the street doing nothing
May God help us all.............

2 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Oluromantic: 1:24pm On Apr 16, 2020
[quote author=Cristlaw post=88504504][/quote]
Lol you maggot
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by hustla(m): 1:26pm On Apr 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Leave them. Make them dey mumu.

Set awon “salary is a bribe to make you forget your dreams”

But they are waiting for a team of medical practitioners to find the cure for Corona virus.

Lmao.

2 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by usmankenny(m): 1:32pm On Apr 16, 2020
grade or certificate doesn't really determines one's future or success. it is grace of God and here in Nigeria, u need grace and connection. a lot of dat didn't pass through University or poly and dey make it than all these certificate - driven graduates.
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by gotnel: 1:33pm On Apr 16, 2020
NextD18:

This can only come from a school drop out, someone who graduated with pass, someone who studied courses like iceblock Engineering or Nylon technology and someone who wasted his/her time in school without learning anything from his/her field of study.

Certificate get level incase you don't know.

Anyone who graduated with a good and presentable result with lots of knowledge and skills relating his/her course of study will never make this statement, because there's are certificates that will feed a whole kindred for 30+ years.

I agree with you on your submission about certificate feedings a whole kindred as long as possible.
But I am in agreement more with the other guy who said get your certificate and create a business with it.
We are all very much different in our approach to life.
One thing is certain, learn something that will make you relevant to the society. Something that someone is ready to pay you for.
It can be something you learn in the classroom or on the street.
Just make sure you have something to give out and make money for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Ominimercy(m): 1:33pm On Apr 16, 2020
dukeprince50:
People put too much emphasis and almost all their faith in a degree.

University degree is just like a foundation to greater heights, nothing else.
If u don't want to push wheelbarrow, become a gas attendant or a conductor for a start then get a degree.

Wise people use their degree to secure a Job, save substantial amount then start a business and when the business is big enough to feed them and their family, they resign from their Job.
The money u get from a Job can't make u live, it can only help u survive.
Salary as a whole is like a bribe u take so u can forget ur dreams.

My advice to u is this, get ur certificate, use it to start a life but don't depend on it.
Modified
Don't depend only on ur cert in d next 10yrs, have more streams of income
Perfect!
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by damoceile: 1:34pm On Apr 16, 2020
If a degree is useless or not I don't care, tho I dropped out at a point, I still nurse the dream of going back to school to grab that degree..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Ominimercy(m): 1:34pm On Apr 16, 2020
dukeprince50:
People put too much emphasis and almost all their faith in a degree.

University degree is just like a foundation to greater heights, nothing else.
If u don't want to push wheelbarrow, become a gas attendant or a conductor for a start then get a degree.

Wise people use their degree to secure a Job, save substantial amount then start a business and when the business is big enough to feed them and their family, they resign from their Job.
The money u get from a Job can't make u live, it can only help u survive.
Salary as a whole is like a bribe u take so u can forget ur dreams.

My advice to u is this, get ur certificate, use it to start a life but don't depend on it.
Modified
Don't depend only on ur cert in d next 10yrs, have more streams of income
Perfect!
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by captainamiedi1: 1:36pm On Apr 16, 2020
Not completely useless though. I have not collected it from my school self after 4years of graduating. but it seems to be any escape route from buhari and his problem.
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Herbephe1(m): 1:37pm On Apr 16, 2020
Angelacruz:
Bro abeg no mind d guy,he is jst blabling.Am in my final yr studying home econs wit 4.0.Dis yr,i went back and wrote jamb for nursing science and let me say am nt happy wit wat am studying.He is trying to comfort himself.Had it been he was given dat medicine n surgery,he wont even comment on dis thread.School is not a scam.Read professional courses and u wont regret it

why haven't you written jamb before reaching 400L?
I hope u are in ur early 20
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Angelacruz: 1:39pm On Apr 16, 2020
Yep
Herbephe1:

why haven't you written jamb before reaching 400L? I hope u are in ur early 20
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by NaijadrivaCars: 1:41pm On Apr 16, 2020
Most of us, our own de rest inside our boxes or somewhere.
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Iceyjayz: 1:43pm On Apr 16, 2020
Chi59:
Who needs a certificate when you've got a sugar daddy cheesy
No wonder you failed your waec and jamb for 5 years, simpľeton!

2 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Cousin9999: 1:44pm On Apr 16, 2020
Anyone even suggesting a degree has no value is an absolute idiot.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Libatine: 1:49pm On Apr 16, 2020
[color=#000099][/color]
oladapo123:
I want to believe most of the commentators on this subject matter are frustrated unemployed Nigerian graduates.
No course is irrelevant and not marketable in a saner climes but the country we all find ourselves makes those courses seems less relevant.
In summary, your grade or course of study is not a potent determinant of your possibility of securing a lucrative job in Nigeria but the grace of God because we have seen Yoiruba graduate who works in financial institution while banking and finance graduate roams about in the street doing nothing
May God help us all.............

You are not getting it. The point is degree is good but it's not a criteria for for success. There are first class brain in medicine, law & accounting etc working for school drop-out as personal staff.
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Karlifate: 1:53pm On Apr 16, 2020
Your degree is useless if you don't add value/skills to yourself OR solve problems for others.

2 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by alllffy(m): 1:54pm On Apr 16, 2020
My own stake on this is apply brain in all you do & be prayerful for God divine direction... I was mocked for the course I studied, today I'm a role model among the same peers that mocked me. God mercy single me out my people...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Davefate: 1:56pm On Apr 16, 2020
cherriton12:
The money u get from a Job can't make u live, it can only help u survive...
Nope, I don't agree with you. We need to be careful of what kind of advices will be disseminating on social media please. Your degree certificate will feed you for life trust me. Even if you venture into business, you need a degree simple.

3 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Karlifate: 2:02pm On Apr 16, 2020
chuggy:
As a Government Official my Engineering degree is always useful and relevant, the degree has really opened ways for me.
Never underestimate the power of a degree, work hard, stay focused, school no be scam.
Thank you! kiss

I wonder how someone will study Animal Science for 5 years (with no other relevant skills), then start comparing himself or herself with some that studied Electrical & Electronics Engineering or Architecture (with good design & people skills).

It's all about VALUE ADDITION & how u can solve problems for people. cool

3 Likes

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Omobolaji20(m): 2:06pm On Apr 16, 2020
ManuelMount:
I'm a University student so I'll like to know how valuable yours.

Feel free to air your views accordingly

Get a degree, it will be useful one day.
Ask those without it, or ask those with ND/HND
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by IamgratefulLord(f): 2:07pm On Apr 16, 2020
Hmmmm.... I studied Building from Unijos and I regret ever studying that course. I wanted Medicine or even Pharmacy but I wasn't given. angry
Guess what I do for a living?? tongue
I'm a teacher. I own a school. If I had known I would end up teaching, I would have read education. However, I had to do a PGD in Education and a TRCN professional examination.
cheesy I bless God because I derive joy in teaching and feel fulfilled impacting knowledge to pupils.
smiley

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by eltata(m): 2:07pm On Apr 16, 2020
dukeprince50:
its not a lie, I had passion for medicine, I really do.
But at this moment, I have passion for money lol.
As a consultant in d medical field, they pay u 700-800k monthly, same with professor, but see ehn, business fit pay u 5mila, 10mila, 100mila if u want to ball high etc in a month.

I may not be saying this if I got my dream course because that course may not open my eyes and I'll still wallow in my stupidity.

People have passion for money o, no worry when u leave school, u go understand say money comes before profession.

See ehn, If u drop Otedola/Adeleke(multi millionaires) and Ben Carson(med doctor) , wake me up from deep sleep and tell me to choose one, I'll choose Otedola. Who profession epp?
Na money be fine bobo
Who tell you say otedola and adeleke no go school Wella. Just keep shut
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by IratzsMicheal(m): 2:11pm On Apr 16, 2020
I just graduated from UNILAG, no convocation yet or certificate I have started working a 5-figure paying job already. This is because I learnt a lot of skills during my 5years in school but to be honest I wouldn’t have gotten this job if I hadn’t gone to the university. So what’s the moral lesson here? Learn a lot of skills especially the one that isn’t crowded and also get at least a B.Sc. A degree will put you at the right position for opportunities. Right now, I still want to get more degrees.

P.S: I graduated with a 2-2 but my skill is first class.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by LeeSantos(m): 2:34pm On Apr 16, 2020
Life itself is more complicated! So it is to degree which ever type of degree one earns.

There is much to say, that if we start discussing this forum won't contain it.

Some humans have been graced with their degree that it fetch them huge income that they are okay with. They no longer think bout earning another degree . They're just okay. (Eg. Some professor in higher institution, MDs, HR, project manager n so on)

Another category of human just feels they're going somewhere with the degree, they're sometimes after breaking records these kind of persons can have more than one kind of degree in the same field. But still they find it hard to take care of their family.

While some have the hot degree, but are still jobless...
I'll stop here, cus typing is energy taking.
.but I will leave u with these below

It not bout the degree, instead it the mindset, human brain n wants.

Dangote only has a first degree(Bsc) but he's worth more than anyone with professorship . He was even honoured with other degree that free that other pay for.

Mark n Gates never had a degree. But that are worth more than those that has got.

So if you think you need a degree to succeed in this world, then fight hard to get it.
And it you know you are better of with no degree, then make sure your plan/dreams is worth the risk

In conclusion it's not bout the degree, its you and you only to choose which ever makes your life worth living.
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by usmankenny(m): 2:34pm On Apr 16, 2020
it is not a crime to av a degree or to learn a trade but bad structural changes and bad governance in Nigeria affect everyone. more so, some graduates dat say degree is a scam wasted a lot of their time doing rubbish wen dey were in school and if u av a good grade and couple with a nice vocational job, then, u are d most luckiest among ur peers

1 Like

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by amatosoft: 2:42pm On Apr 16, 2020
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by ManyThanks: 2:44pm On Apr 16, 2020
ManuelMount:
I'm a University student so I'll like to know how valuable yours.

Feel free to air your views accordingly
what course are you studying?
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by gifteasy: 2:48pm On Apr 16, 2020
Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Hathor5(f): 2:49pm On Apr 16, 2020
Damilare65:

The iya oloja in my village is richer, more successful, more influential than most ladies with bachelors degree, or MSC or even PhD . Lol

Noi cannot influence the election of ordinary council chairman in her region, the iya oloja in my village can influence thousands of votes to elect a governor in my state, .

And I will still repeat that it's due to the same cattle politics that you are talking about that got her the IMf position or even world bank sef . . We have many women that are more educated with more degrees than noi in Nigeria, but politics

Well, my degrees have taken me a long way. Many people who talked like you when I was schooling ended up doing shady business that caused a lot of suffering or ended up with little to nothing to show for. Why? Too lazy to read books. Even if my kids inherit millions, they will get an education for the sake of education. It is not only a means to an end but the end itself too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by frozen70(f): 2:52pm On Apr 16, 2020
lefulefu:
but dont u think its a waste of money if someone spends five yrs in the unversity paying huge tuition fees and when he graduates he dumps the degree.it would be better such a person learnt a hand job instead of spending long yrs stressing himself and wasting money in the university.

That's not true

Getting education helps you in somany ways even if you don't practice what you read in the university

The university helps to model you and build you ahead

You can't compare a graduate trader to an illiterate trader

The difference is Clear

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by Waterbear(m): 3:09pm On Apr 16, 2020
Theres this free lecture group that teaches about forex and how to identify your own signals...
Why dont you make this part of your income stream?

Instead of spending mb on instagram

GO LEARN HOW TO TRADE, dont depend on your school certificates ..

Re: How Useful Is/was Your Bachelor's Degree? by efemena5050(m): 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2020
NextD18:

This can only come from a school drop out, someone who graduated with pass, someone who studied courses like iceblock Engineering or Nylon technology and someone who wasted his/her time in school without learning anything from his/her field of study.

Certificate get level incase you don't know.

Anyone who graduated with a good and presentable result with lots of knowledge and skills relating his/her course of study will never make this statement, because there's are certificates that will feed a whole kindred for 30+ years.
mumu u claim to be educated but to decipher simple write up ..problem I was forced to quote u here ....the above person u quoted was not against schooling but on the backdrop of mediocrity and complacency as against dexterity and consolidated futuristic allowances......

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Mum Cries Out After Finding Out Her Daughter’s Hair Was Shaved At School - Photo / Shitu Abdullahi Scored 306 In JAMB And Also Excelled In WAEC. But Has No Sponsor / Photos From The Center Of Excellence Of A.B.U. Zaria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.