Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

My Poultry Farming Experience! - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Poultry Farming Experience! (28754 Views)

My Watermelon Farming Experience / This Is The Snake Killing My Chickens & Tampering With Their Eggs In My Poultry / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Danbukason(m): 3:10am On Jul 22, 2020
I must really commend the OP for his valued response and sincerity. Your response are invaluable.
Please I would really appreciate it if you can put me through thoroughly, as I am about to start mine in few weeks time. I am inexperienced for now when it comes to poultry farming.
I want to go into rearing of broilers, I would need reply on the following:
1. What will I use as disinfectant in the farm, and how will I apply them.
2. I would be keeping the birds from August to Xmas as I plan selling it off then, is there any risk as regards that?
I mean health wise on the birds, as well as the market.
3. Based on the fact I am targeting Xmas, should I hold on for now, because of the feed cost of the birds? Although I was told people love matured birds by Xmas for consumption. Please how do I manage that?
Although I plan starting with 20 birds for now for pivot study, I plan buying 2 weeks old broilers to avoid mortality.
Thank you very much. I am open to learning from other experienced farmers as well.
Regards.

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Xavi600: 6:54am On Jul 22, 2020
Lovely teaching. Thank you youngext for this quality thread.
Please why did you abandon Obj Marshall male line for agrited 308? Would love to know why as i intend stocking by September and would want a very good breed.Thanks as i await your reply
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Escodeb(m): 9:47am On Jul 22, 2020
gbemmytop:

Are you in Ado? where do you get this New hope professional feed nd what's the cost( finisher), I heard it's quite good too.
Thanks

Directly opposite Aromokeye pharmacy along iworoko road and there is another one opposite APC secretariat at Ajilosun
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by gbemmytop(m): 2:42pm On Jul 22, 2020
Escodeb:

Directly opposite Aromokeye pharmacy along iworoko road and there is another one opposite APC secretariat at Ajilosun
Thanks Boss!
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Ayo2409: 3:29pm On Jul 22, 2020
Pls Can Any Body Help Me About Turkey
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Escodeb(m): 11:22pm On Jul 22, 2020
gbemmytop:

Thanks Boss!

You are welcome sir
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by leo1234(m): 12:26am On Jul 23, 2020
Youngext:
So our new batch of Agrited Ross 308 birds are one week, and growing very fine.
We decided to show you guys their performance since they said (pictures speaks volumes)
Be our guests as you feed your eyes!

How are your birds doing?
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by REUBEN010(m): 3:44am On Jul 24, 2020
Ayo2409:
Pls Can Any Body Help Me About Turkey
What help would you need?
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Ayo2409: 1:09pm On Jul 24, 2020
I Have No Experience Abt It And Am Just In To It I Don't Want To Make Any Mistake About It I Will Be Happy If I Rear It Successfully
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 8:58am On Aug 02, 2020
temiyato:

Can u kindly drop ur whatsapp contact so i chat u privately
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 9:05am On Aug 02, 2020
Danbukason:
I must really commend the OP for his valued response and sincerity. Your response are invaluable.
Please I would really appreciate it if you can put me through thoroughly, as I am about to start mine in few weeks time. I am inexperienced for now when it comes to poultry farming.
I want to go into rearing of broilers, I would need reply on the following:
1. What will I use as disinfectant in the farm, and how will I apply them.
2. I would be keeping the birds from August to Xmas as I plan selling it off then, is there any risk as regards that?
I mean health wise on the birds, as well as the market.
3. Based on the fact I am targeting Xmas, should I hold on for now, because of the feed cost of the birds? Although I was told people love matured birds by Xmas for consumption. Please how do I manage that?
Although I plan starting with 20 birds for now for pivot study, I plan buying 2 weeks old broilers to avoid mortality.
Thank you very much. I am open to learning from other experienced farmers as well.
Regards.

You can use polidine, hypo or izal to disinfect your farm

There is no risk in keeping them for as long as you wish, how ever you should know that the longer you keep them, the more thy eat into your proposed profit, it won't do much to their health by keeping them longer as far as you treat every illness as they arise

You can keep your birds as long as you want provided you have the cash, but if you are after profit, no matter that season, dont keep your birds more than 9 weeks because even 6 weeks is enough for your birds to mature. It's only you who is raising them that knows their true age.

That you buy 2weeks birds (already brooded) is not a guarantee that you won't encounter mortalities, the survivability of your birds is totally dependent on the level of care provided by you.

4 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 9:08am On Aug 02, 2020
Xavi600:
Lovely teaching. Thank you youngext for this quality thread.
Please why did you abandon Obj Marshall male line for agrited 308? Would love to know why as i intend stocking by September and would want a very good breed.Thanks as i await your reply
My brother, if you value your investment and if you know you want peace of mind, I advice you stay away from obj marshals and chikun birds for now, you might not have the stomach to bear the brunt of what the chicks might do to you.

We were able to salvage what we could, because we were armed and ready for what ever challenge brought to us, but for a first timer or an amateur in the game, I will advice against it.

IF you want to stock, go for Chi Abor Acre plus birds, or Agrited Ross308 for your desired peace of mind.

3 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 9:09am On Aug 02, 2020
leo1234:

How are your birds doing?
They're doing very well at 5 weeks and 5days
Without any vaccine or synthetic medications.
Weighting an average of 2.2kg
Organic is way to go!

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by leo1234(m): 10:53am On Aug 02, 2020
Youngext:

Organic is way to go!

That's great. cheesy
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by leo1234(m): 11:43am On Aug 02, 2020
Youngext:

My brother, if you value your investment and if you know you want peace of mind, I advice you stay away from obj marshals and chikun birds for now, you might not have the stomach to bear the brunt of what the chicks might do to you.

We were able to salvage what we could, because we were armed and ready for what ever challenge brought to us, but for a first timer or an amateur in the game, I will advice against it.

IF you want to stock, go for Chi Abor Acre plus birds, or Agrited Ross308 for your desired peace of mind.

But your experience with OBJ marshal was good.
What were your encounter with the OBJ marshal breed?

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Xavi600: 2:02pm On Aug 02, 2020
[Thanks for the honest feedback.I appreciate quote author=Youngext post=92365931]

IF you want to stock, go for Chi Abor Acre plus birds, or Agrited Ross308 for your desired peace of mind. [/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by BlueBanana: 4:35pm On Aug 02, 2020
Youngext:

Organic is way to go!
Thanks for this wonderful thread of yours, it is truly inspiring.
I have been hearing of this organic method for some time but I have been skeptical
Please, I will like to know the cost of raising a bird with organic method compares with synthetic.
Once again, thanks for this grate thread and more power to your elbow
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 5:24pm On Aug 02, 2020
leo1234:

But your experience with OBJ marshal was good.
What were your encounter with the OBJ marshal breed?
It wasn't all good bro,
Do you know what it means to combat CRD for six weeks?
With it going off and coming back at will?

Well, if you have the money to keep getting drugs, you can go for it, other wise, look for other good birds.

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 5:26pm On Aug 02, 2020
BlueBanana:

I have been hearing of this organic method for some time but I have been skeptical
Please, I will like to know the cost of raising a bird with organic method compares with synthetic.
Once again, thanks for this grate thread and more power to your elbow
No much difference, just that you'd only be spending on buying the DOC and feeding them, nothing more.
No spending on medications and vaccines, and it will make their meat taste better.
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by BlueBanana: 5:33pm On Aug 02, 2020
Youngext:

No much difference, just that you'd only be spending on buying the DOC and feeding them, nothing more.
No spending on medications and vaccines, and it will make their meat taste better.
Wow, that would really offset money spent on the medications.
I was hoping you would give a figure, 'cause you said in your previous posts, that the cost of raising per chick under synthetic method was #930, I was thinking you would give a specific amount on that of organic
Thanks once again, you are very knowledgeable
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by leo1234(m): 5:42pm On Aug 02, 2020
Youngext:

It wasn't all good bro,

Well, if you have the money to keep getting drugs, you can go for it, other wise, look for other good birds.

Thanks.
Was the mortality rate up to 10%?
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by ublight: 8:41pm On Aug 02, 2020
book space here my g
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by gbemmytop(m): 3:07am On Aug 03, 2020
Youngext:

Organic is way to go!
Weldone op, it's a good development that most farmers r now embracing the organic method.
Pls do you av a chart for this organic method? I mean for raising ur birds from day old. If yes, kindly share. Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by BlueBanana: 10:21pm On Aug 04, 2020
BlueBanana:

Once again, thanks for this great thread and more power to your elbow
@Youngext
Still waiting for your response bro
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by anucha20natasha: 3:56pm On Aug 05, 2020
Hello good day. There is now a platform created to support and grow agricultural and food related brands. It is called The Chicken Farm. It is a site that connects buyers and sellers of chicken products. Products including: Poultry, Fast Food, Equipment, Manure, Feed etc can all be sold and bought on the site as long as they relate to chicken. Register with: https://www.thechickenfarm.com.ng/register/TCU20ANU500
It's all free. It's for everyone
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 9:14pm On Aug 05, 2020
leo1234:

Thanks.
Was the mortality rate up to 10%?
More than 20%
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 9:15pm On Aug 05, 2020
BlueBanana:

@Youngext
Still waiting for your response bro
I have answered
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by BlueBanana: 12:41am On Aug 06, 2020
Youngext:

I have answered
I'm afraid, you haven't sir.
I will ask again, you said the cost of raising a bird through artificial method is #930, I will like to know the cost of raising a bird through organic method?

cc: EMMAACHILE'
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by beelon1020(m): 3:03am On Aug 06, 2020
Youngext:

It wasn't all good bro,

Hi, been following your tread from start, honestly you inspired me to stock OBJ Marshall, I mean this guys blew my mind... at 2weeks and 5days they are weighing 1.1kg... and no issues so far... mortality is about 0.6%... with all bio-security in place.. I think you exposed your birds to CRD by not providing proper ventilation for them at the right time... have over a thousand of them and they are doing good...when next I’m stocking I think I will stoc OBJ Marshall again.

3 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Fundango: 11:25am On Aug 06, 2020
BlueBanana:

I'm afraid, you haven't sir.
I will ask again, you said the cost of raising a bird through artificial method is #930, I will like to know the cost of raising a bird through organic method?

cc: EMMAACHILE'
noted
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 9:31pm On Aug 06, 2020
beelon1020:
Hi, been following your tread from start, honestly you inspired me to stock OBJ Marshall, I mean this guys blew my mind... at 2weeks and 5days they are weighing 1.1kg... and no issues so far... mortality is about 0.6%... with all bio-security in place.. I think you exposed your birds to CRD by not providing proper ventilation for them at the right time... have over a thousand of them and they are doing good...when next I’m stocking I think I will stoc OBJ Marshall again.
Okay good luck

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What's Best To Do With 1 Million Naira In Agriculture? / Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. / Where To Get Cheap Palm Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.