Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,148 members, 7,815,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell (5459 Views)

If Jonathan And Buhari Stand In A Free And Fair Election TODAY Who Will Win? / 'Buhari’s Likely AGF Has High-caliber Fraud Suspects, Accused Terror Mastermind' / John Campbell: "Jonathan Remains Likely Winner Of Elections" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Kilode1: 4:20am On Jan 10, 2011
@Kobojunkie, I was young during his regime, I have beef with all of our former military rulers Buhari included, but that is just me. I remember some of what you wrote about, but some of us are not sure he will not have dictatorial tendencies,( I worry same about a strong Ribadu).

I understand Idiagbon was the one behind the disciplinarian policies of that time though, true?

I also worry about his commitment to a secular Nigeria. He's got many people saying he's pro Sharia, i'm not sure about that, I guess you've seen some of the links on here too from Jakumo and co. I Think he has a lot of convincing to do, but I'll pick him over GEJ/PDP.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Kobojunkie: 4:07pm On Jan 10, 2011
Kilode?!:

@Kobojunkie, I was young during his regime, I have beef with all of our former military rulers Buhari included, but that is just me. I remember some of what you wrote about, but some of us are not sure he will not have dictatorial tendencies,( I worry same about a strong Ribadu).
I understand Idiagbon was the one behind the disciplinarian policies of that time though, true?
I know people have fears of him having dictatorial tendencies but you have to understand that the democratic system of Government itself acts to check such. He would need to have majority in the house and those he has in the FEC, and probably the governors, and the military on his side for him to even accomplish that, and I don't foresee that ever happening. The man is not that popular, in my opinion, and chances are that he is more likely to make more enemies than friends, if elected.
Kilode?!:

I also worry about his commitment to a secular Nigeria. He's got many people saying he's pro Sharia, i'm not sure about that, I guess you've seen some of the links on here too from Jakumo and co. I Think he has a lot of convincing to do, but I'll pick him over GEJ/PDP.

Umm . . . Yar adua was pro-sharia, yet he did not, in his years in power turn Nigeria into a Sharia state. The president does not have power over the legislators to enact laws, you know? Also, you do realize that Sharia we have in the north happened under Obasanjo’s watch(not even under military rule or even under yar adua's presidency -- even though he was one of the sharia governors). Anyways, I believe again that we have legislators to deal with that, not the president ( we have a democracy now, even if on paper). The legislators are there to check the power of even the federal government. So I don't share your fears there.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Kilode1: 6:27pm On Jan 10, 2011
^^I have to admire your optimism about Buhari, I will still choose him over a GEJ/PDP ticket. But my sentiments are for an ACN/Buhari alliance

The man is not that popular, in my opinion, and chances are that he is more likely to make more enemies than friends, if elected.

Your statement there is heartwarming to me, I do not want a leader we have to worship, Our people are quick to glorify leaders. I hope a lack of massive popularity and a strong opposition will keep Buhari and whoever wins in check. That, I can live with.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by 9ijaMan: 8:50pm On Jan 10, 2011
Kilode?!:

^^I have to admire your optimism about Buhari, I will still choose him over a GEJ/PDP ticket. But my sentiments are for an ACN/Buhari alliance

Your statement there is heartwarming to me, I do not want a leader we have to worship, Our people are quick to glorify leaders. I hope a lack of massive popularity and a strong opposition will keep Buhari and whoever wins in check. That, I can live with.
An elected leader will sure;y need a significant amount of popularity if he is to achieve anything, be it positive or negative reforms. GEJ's initial popularity gave him the impetus to continuously loot Nigeria dry. If, I pray he wins, Buhari wins without being popular, he'll not last 6 months as the corrpt politicians will not find it difficult to impeach him out of office.

In order for any president to carry out the kind of reforms needed to transform Nigeria, he certainly has to be popular with the masses, otherwise he'll fail. The alternative is for such a leader to be absolutely authoritarian, which is exactly what may not be possible in a democracy.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Nsiman(m): 10:54pm On Jan 10, 2011
We nigerians are bedeviling ourselves, why do we recycle our leaders, why is our leaders from one section of the country? Buhari this buhari that, Buhari wants to come back to have his own modern share of our treasury's loot, have in mind that in those days as head of state, 'his eyes wasn't clear'. Gej is the best choice for now.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 10, 2011
Buhari may not be the most charismatic, but he is hugely respected at home and being an anti-corruption leader would gaine him respect and trust by the international community. This would bring in foriegn investment.

He does not ask people to glorfy or worship him, he even included himself in group of leaders who have not been able to match competence of first republic leaders.

He also acknowledges he has weaknesses and explains that his comments about muslims voting and Sharia was misinterpreted as he was intellectually imcompetent to comment on the subject.

Beside if he wanted to turn Nigeria into and  Islamic state he could have easliy done so when he headed a military regime, but he didn't .

In fact non of his actions whilst in office  inidicated tribalistic or religious fanaticism tendencies.

Please see video of his interview below:

http://www.saharareporters.com/video/general-muhammed-buhari-speaks
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Kilode1: 3:13am On Jan 11, 2011
9ijaMan:

An elected leader will sure;y need a significant amount of popularity if he is to achieve anything, be it positive or negative reforms. GEJ's initial popularity gave him the impetus to continuously loot Nigeria dry. If, I pray he wins, Buhari wins without being popular, he'll not last 6 months as the corrpt politicians will not find it difficult to impeach him out of office.

In order for any president to carry out the kind of reforms needed to transform Nigeria, he certainly has to be popular with the masses, otherwise he'll fail. The alternative is for such a leader to be absolutely authoritarian, which is exactly what may not be possible in a democracy.

I agree. I will blame my "popularity" usage on poor word choice. I was essentially referring to the negative kind of popularity that deifies and props up a leader without allowing room for critical opposition or dissent, not the type they earn due to their insiprational abilities.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by 10cirenoh: 4:47am On Jan 11, 2011
Buhari anytime anyday,

Watched an advert yesterday, saw Ribadu's presidential campaign advert on STV running under the ACN umbrella, what does this mean? is Ribadu the choice candidacy for ACN or was that just for the primaries?
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Kwajay(m): 10:22pm On Mar 12, 2011
It seems like this is one prophecy campbell made that is coming true fast. because 4rm the way things are going now the whole of SE/SS=approx 15million votes are for GEJ, while NE/NW=approx 24million votes are for Buhari. The NC/SW=approx 22million votes may swing eitherways (i better leave that for experts w/out sentiments to analyse). With these i forsee a rerun election & eventually the demise of pdp.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by awumenn: 11:11am On Mar 13, 2011
I strongly support Buhari/Bakare ticket. We need change in Naija. My vote goes to them.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by ekubear1: 7:16am On Mar 14, 2011
Kwajay:

It seems like this is one prophecy campbell made that is coming true fast. because 4rm the way things are going now the whole of SE/SS=approx 15million votes are for GEJ, while NE/NW=approx 24million votes are for Buhari. The NC/SW=approx 22million votes may swing eitherways (i better leave that for experts w/out sentiments to analyse). With these i forsee a rerun election & eventually the demise of pdp.

We shall see. Should be one of the more interesting elections in naija's history. Could go either way, imo.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by leonaidas(m): 7:57am On Mar 14, 2011
Even if my father was contesting against buhari, i will choose buhari over my father any day. Not because my father is not a goodman.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 14, 2011
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by gernded(m): 9:36am On Mar 14, 2011
HELLO CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME WHERE BUHARI WILL GET THE VOTE TO WIN THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION.

I NEED TO KNOW SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME NOW MAKE THE CALCULATION AND GIVE ME THE ANSWER PLEASE.

OBANJO WON IN THE EAST BECAUSE THE IGBO ELITE WAS WITH HIM.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Nobody: 9:50am On Mar 14, 2011
OBJ won 2003 by rigging elections
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by 10cirenoh: 12:43pm On Mar 14, 2011
gernded:

HELLO CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME WHERE BUHARI WILL GET THE VOTE TO WIN THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION.

I NEED TO KNOW SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME NOW MAKE THE CALCULATION AND GIVE ME THE ANSWER PLEASE.

OBANJO WON IN THE EAST BECAUSE THE IGBO ELITE WAS WITH HIM.

the same people who gave him 18million votes in 2003
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 14, 2011
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by ejunkie(m): 4:02pm On Mar 19, 2011
Buhari started co-founded ANPP to fuel his presidential ambition, when it became a democratic affair he suddenly left to start CPC and has the likes of Mohammed Abacha (a proud and arrogant son of the worst dictator in history) on his team as a Governorship candidate, a convenient deal?

Buhari is seemingly honest, seemingly. The Man's idea's doesn't fit into today's world. besides he will try to force all his opinions through just as he did it on he party level. common to stand down for Ribadu and help mentor him for leadership fafafa , foul.

Buhari is goo at one thing, whipping up sentiments. We will still vote for Goodluck and we will cast our votes and report it. My vote counts
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Solomon227(m): 4:32pm On Mar 19, 2011
ejunkie:

Buhari started co-founded ANPP to fuel his presidential ambition, when it became a democratic affair he suddenly left to start CPC and has the likes of Mohammed Abacha (a proud and arrogant son of the worst dictator in history) on his team as a Governorship candidate, a convenient deal?

Buhari is seemingly honest, seemingly. The Man's idea's doesn't fit into today's world. besides he will try to force all his opinions through just as he did it on he party level. common to stand down for Ribadu and help mentor him for leadership fafafa , foul.

Buhari is goo at one thing, whipping up sentiments. We will still vote for Goodluck and we will cast our votes and report it. My vote counts

Contrary to your assertion Buhari/CPC leadership actually substituted Abacha's name to INEC. Buhari/CPC were apparently not comfortable with Abacha's victory at CPC's Kano primary which they believe money played a big part of. But Abacha knows he is d rightful winner (bribery or no bribery), took his case to the court and got justice.

May I ask you what your own today's world mean? Fledging of corruption in high place? Careless disregard for sanctity of human lives? Celebration of murderers and looters? Importation of dust-bin from UK by a 41 year old country?

You obviously dont understand what you are talking about and I can promise you that the only one that can put an end to the mess that is currently plaguing the Nation is BB 2011.

I'm begging you to cast your vote for a better future where ex-convicts will not be given royal welcome, where a murderer will not b flown on d Presidential plane, where the President will not be importing dust-bins from UK.

[size=24pt]Please vote Buhari-Bakare 2011[/size] for the future of your children
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by ejunkie(m): 6:50pm On Mar 19, 2011
[size=15pt]

Indeed vote Buhari and start complaining about his high-handedness 8 months later

My vote counts
[/size]
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by ejunkie(m): 6:57pm On Mar 19, 2011
Buhari doesn't cut it simple, attack Goodluck for all you want (God know i still do my fair share) But Buhari is not it, in addition, the man is old and dying, another Yar Adua, No way!!!
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by 10cirenoh: 9:19am On Mar 31, 2011
And this is going to come to past.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 31, 2011
Please , Please , please vote Buhari !!
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by 10cirenoh: 1:16pm On Mar 31, 2011
I watched the CPC jingles today on channels, short and precise.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Kilode1: 5:07pm On Apr 12, 2011
ok
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Xfactoria: 5:14pm On Apr 12, 2011
Kwajay:

You and John Campbell must be smoking weed!!!

You think all the PDP Governors in the North who are vying for second term will open their eyes and let CPC muscle them out? Think again! Those governors's destiny are tied to GEJ's triumph on Saturday and believe me, they will get the job done.

Re-run election can only happen in your dreams.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Gbenge77(m): 5:16pm On Apr 12, 2011
GenBuhari:

Buhari may not be the most charismatic, but he is hugely respected at home and being an anti-corruption leader would gaine him respect and trust by the international community. This would bring in foriegn investment.

He does not ask people to glorfy or worship him, he even included himself in group of leaders who have not been able to match competence of first republic leaders.

He also acknowledges he has weaknesses and explains that his comments about muslims voting and Sharia was misinterpreted as he was intellectually imcompetent to comment on the subject.

Beside if he wanted to turn Nigeria into and  Islamic state he could have easliy done so when he headed a military regime, but he didn't .

In fact non of his actions whilst in office  inidicated tribalistic or religious fanaticism tendencies.

Please see video of his interview below:

http://www.saharareporters.com/video/general-muhammed-buhari-speaks

succinctly put.
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 12, 2011
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Kilode1: 6:52pm On Apr 12, 2011
Unfortunately, PDP has rolled out the rigging machine, printing ballot papers all over Nigeria. SMH
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Kilode1: 5:17pm On Apr 15, 2011
bump cool

I still dislike Campbell's poke-nosing though. wink
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by Kobojunkie: 7:14pm On Apr 15, 2011
You mean the new improved rigging machines? I still can't believe that video . . . why were all the corp members sitting comfortably, doing nothing about what was happening only a couple of feet away from them?
Re: Buhari Likely To Win Under Free And Fair Election - John Campbell by maga1: 7:33pm On Apr 15, 2011
By sunday we will know who is lieing & in the next 4 years we will know who is right or wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Awka Market Women Protest Tax Imposition / Jonathan Urges Nigerian Youths To Manufacture Weapons Instead Of Staying Idle / Emerging Results From Ondo Governorship Election - Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.