Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri (6246 Views)

The Kingdom Of Benin Was A Massive Slave Trader / Olu Of Warri Kicks Out Ayiri, Revalidates Iyatsere, 10 Other Itsekiri Chiefs / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by macof(m): 1:37pm On Apr 21, 2020
gregyboy:

If you can reference me anywere in European account were they recorded benin and ife had contact over thier 600years trading in benin

If you have any archeological record to replace documented account fine that will be nice

There is a need now to retrace our true history that was altered in the former western all in a bid to yorubanise everyone

But for God's sake isn't this stupid?
Why on earth should absence of European accounts mean absence of evidence?
West Africans had their own history and told their own history themselves you know

For example we know from local accounts that Bini had trading contacts with Kumasi. The initial camp at Lagos is assumed by some historians to be for the very purpose of facilitating further trade
No European account will tell you this, does that mean no such trade occurred?

And what's this about archeological evidence for a place name? One would think language is the bases of toponyms to be studied through linguistics not material artifacts relevant to archaeology undecided

You want to form evidence based sceptic but when you don't know what serves as evidence on West African history what sort of yeye sceptic is that?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 1:56pm On Apr 21, 2020
macof:

West Africans had their own history and told their own history themselves you know

For example we know from local accounts that Bini had trading contacts with Kumasi. The initial camp at Lagos is assumed by some historians to be for the very purpose of facilitating further trade

And what's this about archeological evidence for a place name? One would think language is the bases of toponyms to be studied through linguistics not material artifacts relevant to archaeology undecided

You want to form evidence based sceptic but when you don't know what serves as evidence on West African history what sort of yeye sceptic is that?

That boy is just a pitiable attention seeker.

He has absolutely no clue about what he talks about most times, if not all of the time.

Another one like him is Getsmart2 (as promised) cheesy grin cheesy grin. Your nemesis is alive against your wish, Getsmart dumbdumb. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by Edeyoung: 2:20pm On Apr 21, 2020
macof:

You forgot that the same article he quoted was written by a European

That is not an excuse my friend.

If he cant bring written document then he should bring archeological findings
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by Edeyoung: 2:36pm On Apr 21, 2020
macof:

You guys are so desperate to have as yorubas
While we stayed in the western region you guys kept on insulting our oba and marginalize us

We are out you still wont let us rest

Oduduwa's stuff is a myth it doesn't beyond that

The truth is this pages are in goggle for references tomorrow, the truth would be widely spread......

Just give up we edos are not big by numbers but i can boost you yorubas are no match for edos

The whole yorubas ganged up against edo state and they couldn't still win
We pulled ourselves out of the western region not just us but we pulled the delta people alongside

God punish awolowo his plans failed
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 3:08pm On Apr 21, 2020
macof:

He is even quoting a European author
. Ok since no written record bring archeological findings

That should be easy

You guys want to claim us by force so you marginalize us on our history.......

E nor go work
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by macof(m): 5:01pm On Apr 21, 2020
Edeyoung:

You forgot that the same article he quoted was written by a European

That is not an excuse my friend.

If he cant bring written document then he should bring archeological findings

There are actually written records by Europeans mentioning the oba of Benin confirming his ascension with the Ooni of Ife

1. Pic: Screenshot from "Studies in Urhobo Culture" by Peter Palmer Ekeh... this shows that The name "Oghene" used by several people to refer to the King of Ife.

2. Pic: Screenshoot from "Art in Ancient Ife: Birthplace of the Yoruba" by Suzanne Blier

But my earlier post was to correct your ridiculous notion that absence of European accounts mean absence of evidence
I didn't know that you binis think so low of yourselves in the face of Europeans
So now, Europeans must tell you what Bini history is
Tufiakwa!!!

4 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 5:08pm On Apr 21, 2020
macof:

There are actually written records by Europeans mentioning the oba of Benin confirming his ascension with the Ooni of Ife

1. Pic: Screenshot from "Studies in Urhobo Culture" by Peter Palmer Ekeh... this shows that The name "Oghene" used by several people to refer to the King of Ife.

2. Pic: Screenshoot from "Art in Ancient Ife: Birthplace of the Yoruba" by Suzanne Blier

But my earlier post was to correct your ridiculous notion that absence of European accounts mean absence of evidence
I didn't know that you binis think so low of yourselves in the face of Europeans
So now, Europeans must tell you what Bini history is
Tufiakwa!!!

You think we will descredit everything our oba said for self gains
I don't think so

Oghene has already been disproved

So rest
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by macof(m): 5:11pm On Apr 21, 2020
gregyboy:

You think we will descredit everything our oba said for self gains
I don't think so

Oghene has already been disproved

So rest
what concerns me with what you think of your oba? Is it not because you see that your ekaladaran - oduduwa nonsense isn't taken seriously that you have resorted to outrightly denying oduduwa grin grin

disproved by who?

5 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 5:23pm On Apr 21, 2020
macof:
what concerns me with what you think of your oba? Is it not because you see that your ekaladaran - oduduwa nonsense isn't taken seriously that you have resorted to outrightly denying oduduwa grin grin

disproved by who?

Oghene is nupe, ife, Zimbabwe

Among the three ife is the least considered

Ife has been finally removed,
Because there was never a relationship with benin
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by macof(m): 6:22pm On Apr 21, 2020
gregyboy:

Oghene is nupe, ife, Zimbabwe

Among the three ife is the least considered

Ife has been finally removed,
Because there was never a relationship with benin

grin grin grin says who?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by Opiletool(m): 7:07pm On Apr 21, 2020
But your Omonoba said Oranmiyan came to Benin and he's the first Oba of Benin before calling you guys angry birds and went back to found oyo. Wetin this ones dey talk again?

4 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by valirex: 7:18pm On Apr 21, 2020
MetaPhysical:
[s][/s]

Oba is in Yorubaland. Your monarch is Omo Oba....a descendant of Oba!

Stop trolling undecided
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by valirex: 7:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
Opiletool:
But your Omonoba said Oranmiyan came to Benin and he's the first Oba of Benin before calling you guys angry birds and went back to found oyo. Wetin this ones dey talk again?

Angry birds you say, and we ate your people like cockroaches grin
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 7:40pm On Apr 21, 2020
valirex:

Angry birds you say, and we ate your people like cockroaches grin

You dont fight them with hate you fight them with truth.....

Give them an endless assignment to find the benin - ife connection through out history
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by babtoundey(m): 10:11pm On Apr 21, 2020
Oghene is Nupe, Igala, Zimbabwe, Birnin-Kebbi, Benin Republic, Togo, Ghana, Japan and Australia.

4 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 10:21pm On Apr 21, 2020
babtoundey:
Oghene is Nupe, Igala, Zimbabwe, Birnin-Kebbi, Benin Republic, Togo, Ghana, Japan and Australia.

Hahahaha!

You missed out Itsekiri. Their latest delusional addition cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by babtoundey(m): 10:31pm On Apr 21, 2020
[quote author=TAO11 post=88709609]

Hahahaha!

You missed out Itsekiri. Their latest delusional addition cheesy grin[/quot

LOL
The researcher is still working. By tomorrow he will identify some similarities between Benin and Russia And he will come to announce to us tomorrow by that Benin got Oba title from Russia.

4 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 11:00pm On Apr 21, 2020
gregyboy:

... Among the three Ife is the least considered ...

I won't say a word! cheesy

Reference:
J. E. G. Sutton: "Ibn Battuta's Yufi - Bronze and Gold in Mid-Iron-Age Africa", Transafrican Journal of History, Vol. 10, No. 1/2 (1981), p.160.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 2:58am On Apr 22, 2020
Getsmart2
... No Yoruba was called Oba in precolonial days!

If any Yoruba can prove me wrong then do so !

(Produce a precolonial text calling a Yoruba monarch oba ...

Why not!? As soon as you produce a precolonial text calling a Benin monarch "Oba". cheesy

However, if what you need is proof that the word "Oba" is originally and indigenously a Yoruba word, then refer to the link below, where I also showed (using etymological analysis) that the word "Oba" is no where to be found in the Edo lexicon.

https://www.nairaland.com/5761595/benin-kingdom-edo-state-remained/34#88452912

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by BabaRamota1980: 3:11am On Apr 22, 2020
gregyboy:
The name benin was coined by the itsekiri unlike the initial belive that would attribute it to ife, many scholars had disproved the ife-benin connections as false, there was a need to look deeper into the true history, and it happened that the Portuguese while sailing the niger coast came in contact firstly with the itsekiri who had introduced them to their superior power of the niger areas which were the edo peole as they were called at that very time, edo had gotten its name less than a century before the Portuguese arrival, the itsekiri had told the Portuguese that the benin people were very violent people and it wasn't a place to vist by visitors they had called it ile binu, land of anger which the Portuguese corrupted as benin
Egharevba who was the first benin historian in the former western region had tried to link all benin acount directly to ife, his first publication a short story of benin published 1939, was first rejected by the ibadan printing press which happen to be the only printing press in the then western region, egharevba had later gone to ulter his original works relating the benins directly to ife....

You this little boy you lack sense. You said when the Portuguese arrived to the Itsekiri. Did you not read that Itsekiri was independent of Bini? Did you not also read that Bini was dependent on a foreing King, an Oghene?

What is oghene in your language?

1 Like

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by valirex: 7:58am On Apr 22, 2020
Following your topics, am leaning new things grin
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by valirex: 8:01am On Apr 22, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

You this little boy you lack sense. You said when the Portuguese arrived to the Itsekiri. Did you not read that Itsekiri was independent of Bini? Did you not also read that Bini was dependent on a foreing King, an Oghene?

What is oghene in your language?

What's your proof that itesekiri was independent?

1 Like

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 8:14am On Apr 22, 2020
valirex:

Alright, but I will hate for our people to grow cold

Just keep informing people on this lies.... Called ife-benin myth

No foreign scholars agrees to it

I can bring you scholars who got angry benin altered thier history

Our oba played the political game with the yoruba people and he lost, the yorubas now use is own game Against him, and that is why there are always a contradiction between both tales,

The truth is there was never even an ogiso in benin history it was all invented in the oba stories to portray the Oduduwa myth, the benins king were called obas from day one, the itsekiri was the people who told the Portuguese we were very angry people, and they called us ile binu which the Portuguese corrupted, ekaladeran died at ughoton not ife, egharevba created the orun oba ado tales were our oba get to be buried in ife, excavation took place there by a german anthropologist and nothing was found there

With this you can separate the myth from the truth
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 8:16am On Apr 22, 2020
valirex:

What's your proof that itesekiri was independent?

I love this,

You hit them with proof

The itsekiri stool is of benin royalty and they are from the ogiemen family
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 1:23pm On Apr 22, 2020
gregyboy:

the ife-benin [relationship] ...

No foreign scholars agrees to it ...

I won't say a word! cheesy

cc: valirex

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 1:57pm On Apr 22, 2020
gregyboy:

The itsekiri ... are from the ogiemen family

No! The Itsekiris are an indigenous Yoruba sub-group.

The Itsekiris made Ginuwa (a son of the Benin Oba circa15th century) as its "Ogiamen" (i.e. "King over the waters" ) under the Yoruba title "Olu".

You have obviously confused yourself by taking this to mean that the Itsekiris are descended from an Igodomigodo family (non-Yorubas) who also go by the same name, "Ogiamen". grin

The Itsekiri (just as any other Yoruba subgroup) will never make anyone their King when such person is not paternally descended as a Yoruba.

In sum, the Itsekiris are a Yoruba subgroup, and their surviving monarchy is Yoruba (from Benin's Oba dynasty), not from some savage forest dwelling Ogiamen of Igodomigodo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by valirex: 2:09pm On Apr 22, 2020
TAO11:

No! The Itsekiris are an indigenous Yoruba sub-group.

The Itsekiris made Ginuwa (a son of the Benin Oba circa15th century) as its "Ogiamen" (i.e. "King who rules the land" ) under the Yoruba title "Olu".

You have obviously confused yourself by taking this to mean that the Itsekiris are descended from an Igodomigodo family (non-Yorubas) who also go by the same name, "Ogiamen". grin

The Itsekiri (just as any other Yoruba subgroup) will never make anyone their King when such person is not paternally descended as a Yoruba.

In sum, the Itsekiris are a Yoruba subgroup, and their surviving monarchy is Yoruba (from Benin's Oba dynasty), not from some savage forest dwelling Ogiamen of Igodomigodo.

Now this is where you went wrong.

Warri Is An Extension Of Benin Kingdom, Says Olu Of Warri: http://thereliancenewspaper.com.ng/2018/07/25/warri-is-an-extension-of-benin-kingdom-says-olu-of-warri/
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 3:00pm On Apr 22, 2020
valirex:

Now this is where you went wrong.

Warri Is An Extension Of Benin Kingdom, Says Olu Of Warri: http://thereliancenewspaper.com.ng/2018/07/25/warri-is-an-extension-of-benin-kingdom-says-olu-of-warri/

I am waiting for you to point out the so-called "wHeRe yOu wEnT wRoNg" from my comment. grin cheesy

Listen, you appear m0r0nic when you spend your time preparing a comment in response to another comment you never read. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by valirex: 7:41pm On Apr 22, 2020
TAO11:

I am waiting for you to point out the so-called "wHeRe yOu wEnT wRoNg" from my comment. grin cheesy

Listen, you appear m0r0nic when you spend your time preparing a comment in response to another comment you never read. cheesy

Don't insult me again, you would hate me if I go ballistic. A word they say is enough for the wise

1 Like

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO12: 10:26pm On Apr 22, 2020
valirex:

Don't insult me again, you would hate me if I go ballistic. A word they say is enough for the wise

Omg! I'm scared!! embarassed embarassed /s undecided undecided undecided undecided

I remarked that it makes you appear m0r0nic when you put in effort to type up replies to something you never read.

Now, you interpreted that to mean that I already deemed you a m0r0n.

Your interpretation just confirmed my earlier doubt and hesitation.
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by valirex: 7:59am On Apr 23, 2020
TAO12:

Omg! I'm scared!! embarassed embarassed /s undecided undecided undecided undecided

I remarked that it makes you appear m0r0nic when you put in effort to type up replies to something you never read.

Now, you interpreted that to mean that I already deemed you a m0r0n.

Your interpretation just confirmed my earlier doubt and hesitation.

And you don't use effort to type your replies because they are as senseless as you. cheesy
Patriotic Idiot grin
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by valirex: 8:05am On Apr 23, 2020
TAO11:

Why not!? As soon as you produce a precolonial text calling a Benin monarch "Oba". cheesy

However, if what you need is proof that the word "Oba" is originally and indigenously a Yoruba word, then refer to the link below, where I also showed (using etymological analysis) that the word "Oba" is no where to be found in the Edo lexicon.

https://www.nairaland.com/5761595/benin-kingdom-edo-state-remained/34#88452912

Look at this patriotic Idiot telling a people what is and what is not in their language grin you have really proven to be an idiot a patriotic one to the myth of oduduwa. With all your Idiotic research you still haven't collected kwara back from your Fulani masters grin soon they will collect Lagos and Oyo grin and all your so called acclaimed knowledge ain't gonna help you grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? / Nigeria: Robberies - 100 Killed And Still Counting / Traditional Marriage Issues?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.