Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,388 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri (6320 Views)

The Kingdom Of Benin Was A Massive Slave Trader / Olu Of Warri Kicks Out Ayiri, Revalidates Iyatsere, 10 Other Itsekiri Chiefs / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by googi: 2:40am On Apr 24, 2020
Everyday our brothers and sisters from Bini come up with revised meaning and different interpretations knowing full well they are only fooling themselves.

In the first place the dialect you are trying to interpret is different from the wider Edo dialect. It is a Yoruba dialect, a lingual franca in Bini Palace.

The dialect is spoken not only in Benin today but in Warri within Itsekiri to Ugbo, Idiani, Ondo and more.

Yoruba are the ones that will tell you the deep meaning of what you speak.

Who are you trying to explain OBA and OMO to? Why are you guys so plainly fraudulent?

Please also explain what OKU means.

Sarah20A:
is omo nor oba not omo oba

Omo nor oba =the child that shines

Omo oba =child of light

Omo =child

Oba=shine,red

Nor=that,what

Obanosa=shines like god(

Ogie nor ki so re(ogiso)=king from the sky
=is also to describe God king

Omo nor oba ne Edo = the child that shines in Edo

Oba is an abbreviation, when introducing the oba of Benin his title or his name must be called in full that's where you hear 'omo nor oba ne Edo 'uku-Apkolokpolo oba Ewuare.

Hope you now understand that the yorubas meaning of oba is different from the Benin

3 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 6:26am On Apr 24, 2020
googi:
Everyday our brothers and sisters from Bini come up with revised meaning and different interpretations knowing full well they are only fooling themselves.

In the first place the dialect you are trying to interpret is different from the wider Edo dialect. It is a Yoruba dialect, a lingual franca in Bini Palace.

The dialect is spoken not only in Benin today but in Warri within Itsekiri to Ugbo, Idiani, Ondo and more.

Who are you trying to explain OBA and OMO to? Why are you guys so plainly fraudulent?

Hahahaha!

Actually, the word "Oba" (O, B, A) is completely absent from (and alien to) the Edo lexicon.

So, the issue of it having a different meaning is nothing but a hoax.

Such Edo word doesn't even exist to begin with.

Their gymnastics of "shining" is therefore a laughable one.

I will post one of my comments clarifying the details in a moment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 6:33am On Apr 24, 2020
The Etymology of the word "Oba".
----------------------------------------------------

If a word and its intended menaning belongs originally to a specific language, then its etymological derivation would obviously be found in that same language.

To analyse the word "Oba" for "King" from the Edo language, it is only normal and obvious to begin with root-word/s in the same language which sounds most close to the word "Oba".

And the closest "Oba-sounding" Edo root-word is the Edo root-word "Baa".

(1) "Baa" (or perhaps "Ba" ) in Edo language is a verb which means "Shine".

(2) A derived form from "Baa" is the Edo phrase
"O - Baa" which means "it is Shining".

(3) Another derived form from "Baa" is the Edo noun "N'Oba" which means "that which Shines" (or arguably "one who Shines" ).

(4) Another derived form from "Baa" is the Edo noun "Noba" which means "Red".

What becomes very obvious from the foregoing four points are as follows:

(i) That there are some indigenous Edo words which are (at least) close in sound to the word "Oba" under consideration.

(ii) That the actual Edo root-word itself from which other similar forms are derived is the word "Baa" (or "Ba" ).

(iii) That the word "Oba" used as the equivalence of the word "King" is itself not derivable from the actual Edo root-word "Baa" (or "Ba" ).

(iv) Neither the Edo root-word "Baa", nor any of its three derived Edo forms have a meaning even remotely close to the essential meaning of the word "Oba" under consideration.

The word "Oba" under consideration in its essence connotes the following:

"King", "Ruler", "Monarch", "Presider", "Sovereign", "Potentate", "Emperor", or any other idea around these specifics.

Ironically, no such connotation (or anything close to it) is seen in the Edo root-word or in any of the Edo derivatives from it.

The word "Oba" is simply not found in the Edo lexicon. The closest Edo considerations are some words which appear and sound quite like "Oba", but whose meanings show them to be entirely different words far, far away from "Oba".

In the Yoruba language on the other hand, the closest Oba-sounding Yoruba root-word is "Ba", such as is seen in the Yoruba phrase: "... BA l'ori oun gbo-gbo".

(1) "Ba" in Yoruba language is a verb which means "Preside".

(2) The derived word from "Ba" is the Yoruba noun "Oba" which means "one who Presides".

What becomes very obvious from the foregoing, therefore, is that:

(i) There is an indigenous Yoruba root-word from which the noun "Oba" is directly derived without any buts or ifs.

(ii) The essential meaning of this derived Yoruba noun, "Oba" is precisely equivalent to the word "Ruler", etc., without any stretch whatsoever.

In sum, the etymology of the word "Oba" shows clearly that this word is not originally found in the Edo lexicon, while it also shows clearly that it is visibly original to the Yoruba lexicon.

Regarding the funny Benin supposed counter-arguments about royal titles such as: "Ooni", "Alaafin", "Olu", etc.

These are some of the most laughable Benin "counter-arguments" I often encounter. It is laughable because it begins and ends with ignorance.

It's as funny and ignorant as an "argument" to the effect that it is incorrect to address someone as "Lady" just because we know them as "Chioma". Isn't that the most laughable thing ever? Lol.

Well, to avoid not addressing this supposed counter-argument more directly, I would say the following:

While some of these terms represent "proper nouns" (i.e. distinctive titles such as: "Ooni", "Alaafin", "Olu", etc.); the other is a "common noun" (i.e. a generic title applicable to them all --- that is, "Oba" ).

"Oba" in the Yoruba language simply means "King", while the words "Ooni", Alaafin (i.e. "Olu-Afin" ), "Olu", etc. means "one who Owns", "Sovereign of the Palace", and "Sovereign", respectively.

D. M. Bondanrenko sums up this genereic and specifc distinction beautifuly in the first few lines of this page. See below:

Reference:
Dmitri M. Bondarenko, "Advent of the Second (Oba) Dynasty: Another Assessment of a Benin History Key Point", History in Africa, Vol. 30, Cambridge University Press, (2003), p.71.

cc: googi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 7:57am On Apr 24, 2020
MetaPhysical:

What is Omo in Edo language?

TAO11 come and take your dumb brother

She explained it vigorously that omo no oba n' edo i. E the child that shines for the edo people

You kept asking like you didnt see child representing omo there

Omo= is child

Don't you come back and be claiming omo as yoruba world dont, your imaginary Oduduwa which never happened only returned back is son to benin who happened not to have stayed long to even influence a village on his local dialect

But i will point out 10 verifed kings in yoruba land uptill date who came from benin to rule yoruba people.........

Not only did they rule as kings they brought in people from benin who helped them organize the yoruba people
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 8:07am On Apr 24, 2020
TAO11:

If a word and its intended menaning belongs originally to a specific language, then its etymological derivation would obviously be found in that same language.

To analyse the word "Oba" for "King" from the Edo language, it is only normal and obvious to begin with root-word/s in the same language which sounds most close to the word "Oba".

(3) Another derived form from "Baa" is the Edo noun "N'Oba" which means "that which Shines" (or arguably "one who Shines" ).

What becomes very obvious from the foregoing four point are as follows:

(i) That there are some indigenous Edo words which are (at least) close in sound to the word "Oba" under consideration.

(ii) That the actual Edo root-word itself from which other similar forms are derived is the word "Baa" (or "Ba" ).

(iii) That the word "Oba" used as the equivalence of the word "King" is itself not derivable from the actual Edo root-word "Baa" (or "Ba" ).

(iv) Neither the Edo root-word "Baa", nor any of its three derived Edo forms have a meaning even remotely close to the essential meaning of the word "Oba" under consideration.

"King", "Ruler", "Monarch", "Presider", "Sovereign", "Potentate", "Emperor", or any other idea around these specifics.

Ironically, no such connotation (or anything close to it) is seen in the Edo root-word or in any of the Edo derivatives from it.

The word "Oba" is simply not found in the Edo lexicon. The closest Edo considerations are some words which appear and sound quite like "Oba", but whose meanings show them to be entirely different words far, far away from "Oba".

In the Yoruba language on the other hand, the closest Oba-sounding Yoruba root-word is "Ba", such as is seen in the Yoruba phrase: "... BA l'ori oun gbo-gbo".

(2) The derived word from "Ba" is the Yoruba noun "Oba" which means "one who Presides".

(i) There is an indigenous Yoruba root-word from which the noun "Oba" is directly derived without any buts or ifs.

(ii) The essential meaning of this derived Yoruba noun, "Oba" is precisely equivalent to the word "Ruler", etc., without any stretch whatsoever.

In sum, the etymology of the word "Oba" shows clearly that this word is not originally found in the Edo lexicon, while it also shows clearly that it is visibly original to the Yoruba lexicon.

Regarding the funny Benin supposed counter-arguments about royal titles such as: "Ooni", "Alaafin", "Olu", etc.

These are some of the most laughable Benin "counter-arguments" I often encounter. It is laughable because it begins and ends with ignorance.

It's as funny and ignorant as an "argument" to the effect that it is incorrect to address someone as "Lady" just because we know them as "Chioma". Isn't that the most laughable thing ever? Lol.

Well, to avoid not addressing this supposed counter-argument more directly, I would say the following:

While some of these terms represent "proper nouns" (i.e. distinctive titles such as: "Ooni", "Alaafin", "Olu", etc.); the other is a "common noun" (i.e. a generic title applicable to them all --- that is, "Oba" ).

"Oba" in the Yoruba language simply means "King", while the words "Ooni", Alaafin (i.e. "Olu-Afin" ), "Olu", etc. means "one who Owns", "Sovereign of the Palace", and "Sovereign", respectively.

D. M. Bondanrenko sums up this genereic and specifc distinction beautifuly in the first few lines of this page. See below:

Reference:
Dmitri M. Bondarenko, "Advent of the Second (Oba) Dynasty: Another Assessment of a Benin History Key Point", History in Africa, Vol. 30, Cambridge University Press, (2003), p.71.

Did we say ba in yoruba does not mean preceding in yoruba language

Governor in the Roman language has is etymology to be different from the meaning we ascribed it to be in the present times but does this remove the fact that the word is originally from rome

gouernour, "personal keeper, protector, guide;" l
Governor : the head of a state

And again the benin and ife never existed stop posting that very poor work to defeand your claims i know you to do better

If you are telling me benin borrowed the word oba from the other yorubas benin encountered it will be more understandable

Sticking pussy grin
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 8:15am On Apr 24, 2020
TAO11:

Reference:

You keep shooting your self in your pussy

I asked you for the pictures of the recovered heads from orun oba ado

Or even the documented article that showss oba heads were buried in ife
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 8:29am On Apr 24, 2020
TAO11:

Reference:

Willet is a fool
If they can find a terracota head made of sand and clay of 14century and it was not eroded by water or erosion beause of lack of preservation then, will it now be a skull of human beign that can stay thousands of years buried in the earth that will now be eroded by water

Stop quoting willet you fool.........

He was so shameful to admit the ife people lied to him, if he had done this his whole works would have been trashed
Benin authors authoritatively questions our history some even go to the extent of dragging the edo out for conspiracy to compromise thier own history

Not willet who is embedded with lies to peddle is works

Willet found nothing in the arun oba ado it was all made up by our own son egharevba who was forced by the printing press in ibadan to yorubanise is works

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 8:45am On Apr 24, 2020
Quote me only when you have intelligible stuffs to type.

You've only ranted as usual from what I see above. Nothing that may be taken seriously.

Scroll down a little bit on your own attachment, you'll see where it tells you the last time a Benin Oba's head was taken to Ife. cheesy

One of the funniest sh!t ever is that you believe within yourself that people take you serious. grin grin grin grin grin

NOOOOOOOOOO! For me (and almost everyone else) you're nothing but a comic relief.

I just said what everyone didn't want to let out. grin cheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by babtoundey(m): 10:30am On Apr 24, 2020
"The child that shines for the Edo". How funny.
On what bases would you call a king "child"? oba now means "shines or red". So as my pencil or hem shines and can call it oba.

What is even the correlation between the position and authority of a king to "shine" and "red"?

Let me help you again with Yoruba meaning (in case you couldn't read or comprehend TAO 11 explanation)
The word oba can be analysed and explain thus
O - third person singular
ba- this is an action word which can be translated as perches, reign over, dominates, has authority, presides

So, when both are joined together to make "oba" it means the one that has authority over, dominates, reigns over, preside.

let me give you some relating examples

eye ba le orule (The/A bird perches on the roof
eye - bird
ba- perches
le- on
orule- the roof.

You can replace the noun"eye (bird)" with a pronoun third person pronoun "o" (as you have in orange). So " the bird perches on the roof becomes "o ba le orule" (it perches on the roof.

another example is the word "Olorun" (God)
lo- owns
orun. This becomes "the one/authority/force that owns heaven

the word "oba"s a nominal form of o ba.
compare the meaning this gives to that of "shining" or "red" and tell us which best relates to the quality, position and meaning of a king.

Your interpretation of "omo nor oba" sounds horrible because you've alienated it from it source and origin.
"Omo nor oba" can be re-written in Yoruba either as "omooba" or Omo ni oba (but pronounced as omonoba)
The formal "omooba" can be translated as the child of the king
and the latter "omonoba" will be translated as the child is the king.

4 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by valirex: 10:38am On Apr 24, 2020
Sarah20A:

Omo oba =child of light

Omo =child

Oba=shine,red

Nor=that,what

Obanosa=shines like god(

Oba is an abbreviation, when introducing the oba of Benin his title or his name must be called in full that's where you hear 'omo nor oba ne Edo 'uku-Apkolokpolo oba Ewuare.

Hope you now understand that the yorubas meaning of oba is different from the Benin

Ride on, more grease to your elbow
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by Sarah20A(f): 11:15am On Apr 24, 2020
googi:

I am not good in Benin language but I know that almost all name in Edo are or were an abbreviation of sentences or words which were used to describe an event in tme of the old.
Oku means death if am not mistaken and it might also mean some other things like I said am not good in Benin language

Oba might mean king in yoruba language but in Benin it means either light, shine or red .oba is an every day word in Benin .

The fact that we come up with different interpretations to things should tell you how vast and deep Benin is.the Benin language have honomnys and synonyms just like the English language.

Some parts in Ghana call fowl the name the Benins it call it does that mean that the Benins borrowed the word from them?

A place in Japan is Edo does that mean the Edo as a whole came Japan?
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 12:27pm On Apr 24, 2020
babtoundey:
"The child that shines for the Edo". How funny.
On what bases would you call a king "child"? oba now means "shines or red". So as my pencil or hem shines and can call it oba.

What is even the correlation between the position and authority of a king to "shine" and "red"?

Let me help you again with Yoruba meaning (in case you couldn't read or comprehend TAO 11 explanation)
The word oba can be analysed and explain thus
ba- this is an action word which can be translated as perches, reign over, dominates, has authority, presides

So, when both are joined together to make "oba" it means the one that has authority over, dominates, reigns over, preside.

let me give you some relating examples

eye ba le orule (The/A bird perches on the roof
eye - bird
ba- perches
le- on
orule- the roof.

You can replace the noun"eye (bird)" with a pronoun third person pronoun "o" (as you have in orange). So " the bird perches on the roof becomes "o ba le orule" (it perches on the roof.

another example is the word "Olorun" (God)
lo- owns
orun. This becomes "the one/authority/force that owns heaven

the word "oba"s a nominal form of o ba.
compare the meaning this gives to that of "shining" or "red" and tell us which best relates to the quality, position and meaning of a king.

Your interpretation of "omo nor oba" sounds horrible because you've alienated it from it source and origin.
"Omo nor oba" can be re-written in Yoruba either as "omooba" or Omo ni oba (but pronounced as omonoba)
The formal "omooba" can be translated as the child of the king
and the latter "omonoba" will be translated as the child is the king.

Red is the custome of the benin even till date they adore the colour red than white in the acient times

Red means power, authority, scary, beauty in the acient benin context
This were the original context attach to the color red in the acient benin culture before the whiteman attributed the color red as danger and white as purity........ So the edos attributing oba as shinny is in line with the color red

O' BA= it is red
BA(red)

Red was beauty in the ancient benin context attached to colours

Black was moaning, anger, evil

Instead of debating on this further

Letme ask you, who did you say introduced the world oba to benin pls dont give me the crap of Oduduwa because i will ask you for prove
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 12:32pm On Apr 24, 2020
valirex:

Ride on, more grease to your elbow

Don't mind this mofos i will post more info to ascertain my claims Oduduwa was a political move

Benin have so many foreign historians who constantly research on our work the number of benin foreign historians can not be conuted

Benin history his to wide my friend for one historian to handle

Only on benin artworks we have several historians that concetrate on various ascept

Like......

*The emerge of benin art in Europe
*Prehistory of benin artwork
*sizes and pattern of benin artwork and model
*method of making the artwork

This are categories of studies in benin artwork alone, they are many benin foreign historians who are angry benin is distorting thier history with ife Oduduwa story, it was never there
If only the oba could correct that notion openly many things will be fixed
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by babtoundey(m): 12:48pm On Apr 24, 2020
gregyboy:

Red is the custome of the benin even till date they adore the colour red than white in the acient times

Red means power, authority, scary, beauty in the acient benin context
This were the original context attach to the color red in the acient benin culture before the whiteman attributed the color red as danger and white as purity........ So the edos attributing oba as shinny is in line with the color red

O' BA= it is red
BA(red)

Red was beauty in the ancient benin context attached to colours

Black was moaning, anger, evil

Instead of debating on this further

Letme ask you, who did you say introduced the world oba to benin pls dont give me the crap of Oduduwa because i will ask you for prove

You like sounding intelligent. "I will ask you for proof" is now your song when all your claims are opinions of the your great granddads and brainchild of your own postulations.

Oba now means it is read? It is no longer "shining" "red" . Trust me you're confused and you're looking for who to infect with your confusion and inconsistencies of thought and ideas.

Are you now asking for who brought "oba" to Benin? Well, in one of your responses, you said Oranmiyan came to Benin but did not stay long enough to influence a village.

That man that you referenced came to Benin gave you Eweka, he gave you the name oba and system of "oba".
Even if he influenced just two people, those two people he influenced influenced another two until his sane idea and political ideology buried and submerged your homemade Ogiso dynasty.

By the way, how far have you gone about your research on Oghene? Have you been able to trace him to Idia and Antarctica? Have you gone to the oba palace to accuse him and his council of betrayal of trust conspiracy, and corruption of Benin actual history in favour of the aliens (the Yorubas)?

4 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 1:23pm On Apr 24, 2020
babtoundey:

You like sounding intelligent. "I will ask you for proof" is now your song when all your claims are opinions of the your great granddads and brainchild of your own postulations.
Oba now means it is read? It is no longer "shining" "red" . Trust me you're confused and you're looking for who to infect with your confusion and inconsistencies of thought and ideas.

Are you now asking for who brought "oba" to Benin? Well, in one of your responses, you said Oranmiyan came to Benin but did not stay long enough to influence a village.
That man that you referenced came to Benin gave you Eweka, he gave you the name oba and system of "oba".
Even if he influenced just two people, those two people he influenced influenced another two until his sane idea and political ideology buried and submerged your homemade Ogiso dynasty.

By the way, how far have you gone about your research on Oghene? Have you been able to trace him to Idia and Antarctica? Have you gone to the oba palace to accuse him and his council of betrayal of trust conspiracy, and corruption of Benin actual history in favour of the aliens (the Yorubas)?

Yea, oghene is not ife or ooni, the oba of benin is using you guys head if not for the political power you guys wielded in the old western region our oba conspiracy would have been perfect and we would have been ruling the entire yoruba nation by now
Thank your god there was awolowo who saw your ooni through.......
In everything he did for the yorubas he tooj rat poison at the end of his evil

Oduduwa na myth na!! how would 1000yr old man birth 54mill people how come

Then both benin and yoruba people should almost have equal population

Yea i brought the oromiyan conspiracy to highlight a point, and i boldly made it know it was
A conspiracy so we are going to keave it like that
Like a myth

Ogiso title was a myth the title of king was always oba

And again what us said was red and not read"
As you are quoting i specifically mentioned how benin attributed red as beauty and shinny
And how the oba uses it as a praise to himself and took it as it title
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by babtoundey(m): 1:33pm On Apr 24, 2020
gregyboy:

Yea, oghene is not ife or ooni, the oba of benin his using you guys head if not for the political power you guys wielded our oba conspiracy would have been perfect and we would have been ruling the entire yoruba nation by now
Thank your god there was awolowo who saw your ooni through.......

Oduduwa na myth 1000yr old man birthed 54mill people

He was not from Ife.. Was he from Nupe, Igala, Birnin-Kebbi, Antarctica, Yugoslavia, or Togo?

Why wouldn't I believe you? Who will not? After all your unreferenced source says so, your granddad confirmed it and you uphold it.

As for Awolowo marginalising, subjugating you (According to you), you have no cause to hate Awolowo. You have a lot of questions to ask your Oba who stoop so low to the extent of conniving with an outsider to sell his people cheap and desecrate his ancestral stool.

And now that Awolowo is gone, now that you have Edo state for the Edos, what stops the traditional council of your state to uphold your truth? Are you still being hunted by the fear of the dead or the fear of sounding the way you are sounding now to sane minds?

4 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 2:03pm On Apr 24, 2020
babtoundey:

He was not from Ife.. Was he from Nupe, Igala, Birnin-Kebbi, Antarctica, Yugoslavia, or Togo?

Why wouldn't I believe you? Who will not? After all your unreferenced source says so, your granddad confirmed it and you uphold it.

As for Awolowo marginalising, subjugating you (According to you), you have no cause to hate Awolowo. You have a lot of questions to ask your Oba who stoop so low to the extent of conniving with an outsider to sell his people cheap and desecrate his ancestral stool.

And now that Awolowo is gone, now that you have Edo state for the Edos, what stops the traditional council of your state to uphold your truth? Are you still being hunted by the fear of the dead or the fear of sounding the way you are sounding now to sane minds?

If the oba won't admit maybe your ooni should

But no they still want to fool people like you who is getting something that will excite you from it....

The location of oghene is unknown the conspiracy behind oghene mentioned by the benin and the ragnum ogvene is even much than the benin-ife conspiracy

So oghene should be left outside oghene could be nupe, igala, Zimbabwe definitely not ife because ife is not in the east but west

Ife coming into the pictures was because of the conspiracy bcus if benin ife connection if it was never there ife wouldn't have been considered
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by babtoundey(m): 2:29pm On Apr 24, 2020
gregyboy:

But no they still want to fool people like you who is getting something that will excite you from it....

The location of oghene is unknown the conspiracy behind oghene mentioned by the benin and the ragnum ogvene is even much than the benin-ife conspiracy

So oghene should be left outside oghene could be nupe, igala, Zimbabwe definitely not ife because ife is not in the east but west

Ife coming into the pictures was because of the conspiracy bcus if benin ife connection if it was never there ife wouldn't have been considered

Lol. Why won't the Oba admit? Why did you reach the hasty conclusion the Oba won't admit he lied and deceived you. Have you confronted him with your truth and the evidence (of my father and grandad coupled with "I think"wink. My brother, give it a try. Instead of you popularising your odious claims, attacking innocent Yorubas on Nairaland, match to Oba palace, tell him what you think of him and his forefathers, tell him his reverered

1 Like

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 2:38pm On Apr 24, 2020
babtoundey:

Lol. Why won't the Oba admit? Why did you reach the hasty conclusion the Oba won't admit he lied and deceived you. Have you confronted him with your truth and the evidence (of my father and grandad coupled with "I think"wink. My brother, give it a try. Instead of you popularising your odious claims, attacking innocent Yorubas on Nairaland, match to Oba palace, tell him what you think of him and his forefathers, tell him his reverered

You should do thesame.......... Because you are the most fooled
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 2:40pm On Apr 24, 2020
Once upon a time, Omo N'Oba N'Edo Oba Ewuare Ogidigan II said and I quote via his Nairaland moniker:

"Oh ye children of Edo, behold my Oghene and your Oghene. His image is as attached below". /s

grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy wink cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by babtoundey(m): 2:41pm On Apr 24, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol. Why won't the Oba admit? Why did you reach the hasty conclusion the Oba won't admit he lied and deceived you. Have you confronted him with your truth and the evidence (of my father and grandad coupled with "I think"wink. My brother, give it a try. Instead of you popularising your odious claims, attacking innocent Yorubas on Nairaland, match to Oba palace, tell him what you think of him and his forefathers, tell him his reverered ancestor never existed, tell him what he doesn't know about how Eweka was smuggled (as you believe) from an unknown place and many more of the jokes you have been parading as history. I bet you have the guts to do that.

And why shouldn't you be able to.fix the location of Oghene? You know he was not from Ife, you know Oranmiyan never came to Benin, you know there was no Oduduwa, you know Itshekiri gave Benin its name, you know Eweka was not a son of his father Oranmiyan, you know Oba connived with the Yoruba to debase his own stool, you know foreign historians that referenced Benin/Ife connection were payed by the Yorubas and write to favour the Yorubas at the expense of Benin, you know all the notable Nigerian historians, even those of Edo extract, sold their truth to the Yorubas, Why on earth should you find it difficult to trace the location of Oghene? Spill it out! Tells us he was a Japanese. I of all people will believe you so long you tell us, as usual, you heard it from your grandad (maybe grandma this time around) and your intuition tells you it's the whole truth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 2:45pm On Apr 24, 2020
TAO11:

Once upon a time, Omo N'Oba N'Edo Oba Ewuare Ogidigan II said and I quote via his Nairaland moniker:

"Oh ye children of Edo, behold my Oghene and your Oghene. His image is as attached below"

grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy wink cheesy cheesy

Your ooni of ife loves our artwork he held an ada" even when he had no connection with benin monarchy

But here is the ife disgusting art

Head slammers

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 2:53pm On Apr 24, 2020
Nay! Today, aggrieved, saddened, and bitter children of Edo art doing a terrible job of narrative spinning, marauding and making it even further worse by saying that:

"Benin Kings only stooped low to lick the Oonis' boots for "pOlItIcAl ReAsOnS" of the Western Region."

Hmmmmmm! ... What a terrible job at spinning from Edo children!?

I swear I would have will definitely done a better job than if they had contacted me though. grin cheesy grin cheesy

Come to think of it, I would have thought that Benin Obas will never stoop low to lick boots for any reason --- Be it "pOlItIcAl" reason or any reason whatsoever.

Or is that another lie from Edo children?? ?? grin cheesy grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 2:56pm On Apr 24, 2020
gregyboy:

Your ooni of ife loves our artwork he held an ada" even when he had no connection with benin monarchy

But here is the ife disgusting art

Head slammers

(1) Ada is from Ife. I have flogged you and your brother on this again and again. Your Ogiso Ere --- who is your 2nd Ogiso --- is from Ife. See attachment.

(2) Ife art is unmatched anywhere in Africa.
Says all Art Historians. Quality beats quantity any day, they insist.

BTW, What is your Italian name and your Yoruba name?? cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by macof(m): 3:01pm On Apr 24, 2020
Sarah20A:

Omo oba =child of light

Omo =child

Oba=shine,red

Nor=that,what

Obanosa=shines like god(

These ones will just come on the Internet turning their own language and history upside down all in a bid to gain points in their self declared supremacy war against the Yoruba

Child that shines grin grin. Your oba is a child that is shining? grin

3 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by googi: 3:09pm On Apr 24, 2020
TAO11,

Honestly, I have to thank you for taking the time to debunk this Yoruba slave. Their revised and false FABU gained attention of some children because nobody ever thought they would be taken seriously.

The effort this guy and his fellows waste propagating their inferiority complex could have been better spent.

Everything he writes is a suspect.

TAO11:

(1) Ada is from Ife. I have flogged you and your brother on this again and again.

2 Likes

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 3:10pm On Apr 24, 2020
So, as I was saying befor the interruption:

Because of the poorly thought out spinning of "pOlItIcAl rEaSoN" by the Edo children, we Omoluwabi then ponder:

For what reason did Oba Eweka II insist to H.L. Ward Price in the 1920s that his Oghene lives in Ile-Ife?? ?? ?? --- For what reason?? ?? grin grin grin grin grin cheesy

"PoLiTiCaL reasons"?? ?? grin cheesy grin wink cheesy grin Please say no and save yourselves the embarrasment. grin

There was no such thing as The Western Region or even Nigeria at such time.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

For this, we will in the mean time await an updated Nairaland spinning and revision from Edo children.

A public pronouncement will follow soon where the current version of the Edo excuse (of pOlItIcAl rEaSon, WeStErN ReGiOn, AwOlOwO, etc.) will be annulled, and a newer version will be pronounced --- call it version v.2.Edo.20/05 if you like.

Fingers crossed till then. grin cheesy grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 3:14pm On Apr 24, 2020
TAO11:

(1) Ada is from Ife. I have flogged you and your brother on this again and again.

What is your arab name
And what is the real ancestory of your people before awolowo united you all

What state are you from
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by gregyboy(m): 3:15pm On Apr 24, 2020
TAO11:

My Italian name is "lolalffhsfj"
My yoruba name is. Oduduwa
Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 3:17pm On Apr 24, 2020
gregyboy:

What is your arab name
And what is the real ancestory of your people before awolowo united you all
What state are you from

If you tell me the following I will answer you. I asked first.

(1) Your Yoruba name.

(2) Your Italian name.

(3) Your favourite Yoruba god.

Moreover, your Obas have been licking Oonis' boots long before Awolowo's great grand parents were born.

Did they also lick the boots for pOlItIcAl reasons ?? ?? ?? grin cheesy grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by TAO11(f): 3:18pm On Apr 24, 2020
gregyboy:

My Italian name is "lolalffhsfj"
My yoruba name is. Oduduwa

Na, you're lying.

Swear by your favorite Yoruba god. grin

Then I will believe you 100%! grin cheesy

Moreover, your Yoruba name can't be "Oduduwa". Oduduwa is the name of a Bini deity. See attachment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri by Sarah20A(f): 3:49pm On Apr 24, 2020
macof:

These ones will just come on the Internet turning their own language and history upside down all in a bid to gain points in their self declared supremacy war against the Yoruba

Child that shines grin grin. Your oba is a child that is shining? grin
the Benins never claimed supremacy over the yorubas it's you people that can't narrate your history without mentioning the Benins

I only explained the meaning of this few words so that the yorubas should know that oba doesn't mean king in Benin .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Masquerade The Most Scary?(pictures), Compare Yours / Yoruba Words That Has So Many Meanings... / 12. Odu Oturupon Meji- Ologbon Meji- Have A Back Up Plan, An Alternative.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.