Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,984 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines (62796 Views)

Ifeanyi: Davido’s Nanny, Cook May Face Charges For Negligence / Armed Gangsters Rob Homes With POS In Lagos & Ogun During Lockdown / Policeman Seen With POS, Asking A Passenger To Bring His ATM Card (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by massingale(m): 1:00pm On Apr 22, 2020
POS must be programmed in such a way that when a card is slotted in it for PIN verification atleast, it shd record the ID of the POS. Not until a transaction is made.

Or asking for pin after amount has been entered, not PIN before inputting amount.

By these, POS robbery can be checkmated !!
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Simpubozz(m): 1:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
Infogetong:
This is getting outrageous. !

Robbing with pos ?

When they tell government to invest in Education they will refuse, no see the brainless robber thinking he'll just work to the bank and withdraw the money or use ATM or transfer.

From the person or business that registered the pos download to the bank or agent that registered it for them are in for a bigger trouble, except they people that were rubbed are also uneducated .

During the lockdown, here's a little gig for you if you don't mind making 1k per signup you get. Register at http://top.infobet.tech/P2 and refer to http://top.infobet.tech/setup for set up instructions..

Pls can u come back and edit this ur writing, I can't understand a point. And I don't understand d concept behind all these comments suggesting d POS can b traced, cos I read Part of d post which said dey (d robbers) use d pos to authenticate d pin of d card and then they go to other ATM to withdraw. So if that's d case I don't think d money can be traced.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Lufthansa: 1:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
Accepted, how will they have the PIN verified without having the card communicating with the machine? @least, they transact the least possible amount with it, e.g say transferring N10 into the account which the POS is linked.

So communication details registered can be used to track the person to whom it was issued as such person should have reported to the police/bank earlier enough before that incident if it was truely stolen from him otherwise, he is an accomplice

mudility:
I think you guys did not read the post to understand the method the criminals are using. The pos is not being used to withdraw or transfer the victims money but used to confirm the pin then they will proceed to the nearest ATM to withdrew from the stolen card.

So with the above the bank can’t be held responsible because the transaction from the victims card will only show atm withdrawals without any trace to a pos.

The solution to the above is simple if our bank will be willing to implement this suggestion am about to give.

Our banking system should develop a kind of login history sent to our banking portal anytime we slot our ATM card in any device like when you login your email to a new device you see the notification. This notification from the login of our card history will be seen in our bank account whenever we go make any complaint in the bank. By this they will have the pos details and time the card was longing.

Like this comment If you believe the above solution will work.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by DaniellaDokubo(f): 1:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
yinchar:
This is a no brainer issue that requires a simple fix.

All funds paid or transferred to a POS linked account should be made unavailable or kept in lien for 3 working days, will only be cleared for withdrawal or transfer after 3 working days.

That’s how’s it done in some advanced countries, even in some countries it 7 working days, some 1 month.

I don’t know why simple things are so difficult in our country.

Doesn't still solve the problem. What if the robbers kidnap and keep you till the transfers is cleared by the bank or even kill the victims afterwards
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by bigtt76(f): 1:04pm On Apr 22, 2020
Your PIN is stored on the chip encrypted but your other bank details are not unlike the mag stripe cards.

The POS you're using is not connected to your bank and would be a waste of time for it to first connect to your bank to verify it first before allowing you to proceed with your transaction.

If you can, anytime you go to a grocery store for purchase, try paying with your card on the POS and after entering your PIN watch to see what happens after you enter your PIN and the message 'PIN CORRECT' is displayed

Xisnin:

I don't know how POS transaction works but it will be a security nightmare for a POS to confirm pin without network authorization.

I was thinking from the angle of general computer authorization security technologies which I
believe was adapted to POS terminals.

Imagine I collected a new card today and took it to an old POS stand.
How would the machine "know" the correct pin without being told by my bank(network communication)?

Perhaps, the process you describe applies to magnetic stripe cards which have been largely phased out in Nigeria?

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Ade3131: 1:21pm On Apr 22, 2020
The solution to this POS robbery is quite simple to tackle. Banks need to introduce the 2 factor authentication for every first transaction of the day. By this I mean every first transfer or withdraw of the day should be tired to a secret question in addition to the regular ATM pin authentication requirement. You slot in your card to check balance, validate pin or transfer on any POS machine, you will get it done successfully without the system requiring answer to a secret question but immediately you try to use the card on any ATM machine for either transfer, collect cash or pay bills, you're automatically asked the answer to a secret question after inputting the correct pin. This way, the robbers will have to take the card owner to the ATM stand to withdraw or transfer through POS thereby exposing themselves to being traced and caught. I hope the Enterprise Security department of all the banks are seeing this. That's a free contribution from me as an ex banker worker.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Xisnin(m): 1:25pm On Apr 22, 2020
bigtt76:
Your PIN is stored on the chip encrypted but your other bank details are not unlike the mag stripe cards.

The POS you're using is not connected to your bank and would be a waste of time for it to first connect to your bank to verify it first before allowing you to proceed with your transaction.

If you can, anytime you go to a grocery store for purchase, try paying with your card on the POS and after entering your PIN watch to see what happens after you enter your PIN and the message 'PIN CORRECT' is displayed

I get your explanations.

But a few times I entered incorrect pins at money mobile agent terminals, they don't know my pin is incorrect until a response is obtained from the network. Are the machines too slow that I have to wait as long as required to carry out an actual transaction?

It is time to disband POS terminals that verify pins offline because they create "perfect crimes" opportunities for criminals.

I think the same process is obtained at ATM terminals, it doesn't tell you invalid pin until you send a transaction for
processing.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by r4roty(m): 1:29pm On Apr 22, 2020
Royruky:

Nice suggestion, however, the money is not transferred into any account. The POS is used to CONFIRM if the pin to the ATM card is correct. They thereafter proceed to an ATM to withdraw the cash.

Security measures should be put in place to track anywhere an ATM card is activated whether or not any purchase was made. In essence, once an ATM card pin is confirmed, the ATM card should leave digital signature that can be used to trace it.
Gbam your head dey there! The banks requires a dynamic/proactive/adaptive "Leadership and Change" Managers in place who's mandate is to make cyber security and FIREWALLING cyber crimes a topnotch by deploying high integrity ICT systems. The banks should be able to tweak the software of the POS to enable a digital handshake betw the victims ATM card and any POS used so that when a report is made by the victim to his bank, such POS usf can be easily traced and the merchant assigned such pos can be apprehended.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by nairavsdollars(f): 2:07pm On Apr 22, 2020
the issue is when people complain to banks, they refused to act on time
massingale:
POS must be programmed in such a way that when a card is slotted in it for PIN verification atleast, it shd record the ID of the POS. Not until a transaction is made.

Or asking for pin after amount has been entered, not PIN before inputting amount.

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by ejimatic: 2:16pm On Apr 22, 2020
nairavsdollars:

https://www.independent.ng/banks-get-knocks-over-use-of-pos-terminal-by-robbers/
. The POS should be developed in such a way a that any ATM inserted into it for PIN confirmation must be immediately recorded online. So if the ATM is taken away for cash withdrawal the owner of the POS used for the PIN confirmation can be traced for arrest and prosecution.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by lailo: 2:20pm On Apr 22, 2020
its like people are not getting it.They are not using d POS to transfer money,they only use it to confirm ur pin and later to to ATM to withdraw.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Psoul(m): 2:59pm On Apr 22, 2020
Superjazz:
You can't blame the banks when you are robbed you report to the bank the bank trace the account into which the frivolent transaction took place and you find a way of tracking the suspect with police help.but Nigeria police and lack of commitment na 5 and 6

Their duty should not end there. The reported account should be placed on No withdrawal. If attempt to withdraw is noticed, the person should be arrested.

This will hasten investigation. Most times, banks will refuse to give u details of the account your money was moved to ask in the name of protecting her customer's privacy.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by jimcaddy(m): 3:38pm On Apr 22, 2020
I trust Nigerian banks. They will deny it and say they cannot be held accountable. Everything in this article makes sense, but the issue is the banks not doing their verification well. Most times, the POS gets to the wrong hands and that is how these kind of fraud is perpetrated. The banks will be telling you to first get the police involved in the matter before they do anything. It makes no sense. The way Nigerian banks deals with fraud issues is very appalling...
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by equity1(m): 5:20pm On Apr 22, 2020
Cholls:
my brother stop acting intelligent in ignorance. Read the write-up.

excerpt:

" The process is usually the same. The robbers break into
a house at night or any time of the day. And with
guns held to their heads, victims are ordered to
furnish their ATM cards as well as disclose their pin
numbers, which are then confirmed with a PoS device
before the cards are taken away. The robbers then
proceed to withdraw as much cash as possible before
daybreak when the incident is reported and cash with­
drawal stopped."
Most of people commenting didn't even read the news.
According to the article, their modus operandi are:
1 They use the POS to confirm the atm pin of their victims at gun point. This can be done via checking of balance.

2 They take the card to atm or other road side pos and withdraw.

I think bank technology should be able to find out POS used for confirmation customers pin at gun point then police should take it up from there.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by iykemyke: 5:43pm On Apr 22, 2020
People don't read and comprehend. They only use the pos to confirm your atm card pin and then move to the nearest atm machine to withdraw cash.
[q11uote author=EzzyCarter post=88702941]In saner climes, those guys robbing with POS would be nabbed the following day or probably that same day. But heck, over here even banks get robbed and life goes on[/quote]
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by iykemyke: 5:47pm On Apr 22, 2020
They don't use the pos to withdraw but to validate ur atm card pin and then proceed to the nearest atm to withdraw cash. Read the entire story and not the headlines
Enyimbamercedes:
As a business owner, if you need a POS, banks will be asking for all sorts of requirements but Armed robbers will be using pos!!!

How is it not possible to track the funds to the account that the POS is linked to

Bank staff are complicit in this
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by bigtt76(f): 5:54pm On Apr 22, 2020
The POS the mobile money agents are using are different from those of the bank issued POS terminals. The mobile money agents are actually communicating with their platform's infrastructure which has the option to debit your card and credit their bank account while they use the same POS to debit their wallet with the mobile money company.

So in essence, your card is being debited mimicking the same process you use to debit your card while carrying out an online web transaction whereas the conventional POS at the grocery stores work through a different path see below

Grocery Store POS
Customer ---> POS terminal ---> PTSP ----> Acquirer Bank ---> Card Scheme Operator --->NIBSS ---> Card Issuing Bank

Mobile Agent
Customer ---> POS Terminal ---> Mobile Money Operator --->Payment Service Provider ---> Acquirer Bank ---> Card Scheme Operator ---> Card Issuing Bank

Xisnin:

I get your explanations.

But a few times I entered incorrect pins at money mobile agent terminals, they don't know my pin is incorrect until a response is obtained from the network. Are the machines too slow that I have to wait as long as required to carry out an actual transaction?

It is time to disband POS terminals that verify pins offline because they create "perfect crimes" opportunities for criminals.

I think the same process is obtained at ATM terminals, it doesn't tell you invalid pin until you send a transaction for
processing.

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Greatzeus(m): 5:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
nairavsdollars:
how did POS even get into the hands of armed robbers?
My thoughts exactly,if you want POS,you will fill a form and give details of your business. I believe there should be a way to track those fraud done through POS
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by damilarelr(m): 6:40pm On Apr 22, 2020
POS machines are wired to take in PIN as the last information to input before the fund in the cards account will be moved to the account linked to the POS. The issue here is that for a POS to be able to verify PIN, it shows there's been a modification of its software..and that's a serious issue. Such POS should not be allowed into the Nigerian financial atmosphere.

CBN should direct all Banks with such POS to withdraw them from circulation and equally deactivate the lost ones with immediate effect. The truth of the matter is that Money can never be lost..even when it has been converted to airtime like what most of these fraudsters do, the telcos should help in identifying those who registered for the phone numbers.

Our NCC should direct all telsocs to maintain a single database for all of their Customers such that an individual can only have one number on a network per time..so that even when you misplace your number and welcome back is impossible, your information must be delinked from the lost line before you can be issued another one while the lost line will be deactivated.

A lot can be achieved if we have the right set of leaders who, if nothing else, can copy/replicate what other country does.. With full cooperation of the telcos, and armed forces, just any crime can be curbed.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Royruky(m): 6:54pm On Apr 22, 2020
r4roty:
Gbam your head dey there! The banks requires a dynamic/proactive/adaptive "Leadership and Change" Managers in place who's mandate is to make cyber security and FIREWALLING cyber crimes a topnotch by deploying high integrity ICT systems. The banks should be able to tweak the software of the POS to enable a digital handshake betw the victims ATM card and any POS used so that when a report is made by the victim to his bank, such POS usf can be easily traced and the merchant assigned such pos can be apprehended.

I pray they read this and move in the right direction.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Xisnin(m): 6:57pm On Apr 22, 2020
bigtt76:
The POS the mobile money agents are using are different from those of the bank issued POS terminals. The mobile money agents are actually communicating with their platform's infrastructure which has the option to debit your card and credit their bank account while they use the same POS to debit their wallet with the mobile money company.

So in essence, your card is being debited mimicking the same process you use to debit your card while carrying out an online web transaction whereas the conventional POS at the grocery stores work through a different path see below

Grocery Store POS
Customer ---> POS terminal ---> PTSP ----> Acquirer Bank ---> Card Scheme Operator --->NIBSS ---> Card Issuing Bank

Mobile Agent
Customer ---> POS Terminal ---> Mobile Money Operator --->Payment Service Provider ---> Acquirer Bank ---> Card Scheme Operator ---> Card Issuing Bank

That makes sense.
If the banks can't trace POS-wielding thieves, it is time to start phasing out those insecure POS.
At least, a POS should be able to record every transaction done on it and forward such to the banks
on a regular basis.
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by tammie24: 9:07pm On Apr 22, 2020
yinchar:

All funds paid or transferred to a POS linked account should be made unavailable or kept in lien for 3 working days, will only be cleared for withdrawal or transfer after 3 working days.

That’s how’s it done in some advanced countries, even in some countries it 7 working days, some 1 month.

They go kidnap you for one month be that grin
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by mhychophelha1(m): 9:12pm On Apr 22, 2020
I av also fall a victim of this, I got my phone lost here in ekiti and when I retrieved my line back a week after, all the money in my account as been withdrawn. The alarming part is that when I went to my bank at ado to complain about, my statement of account shows that d money was been withdrawn at Lagos from ATM machine and I av my ATM with me. In short that was when I realized that they use both my phone number and d BVN I stored on the phone to carry out the operation. To me I think what d bank can do on this for good verification is to install CCTV decoder that can only picture d face of the withdreawer or better still programme the ATM machine to ask for names and ur FINGERPRINT...... I think with that we can curtail and trace the perpetrator easily........ smiley[color=#990000][/color] smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by franugo(m): 10:08pm On Apr 22, 2020
yinchar:

And that makes sense to you Which right thinking businessman will give you goods if he cannot access the money you claimed to have transferred?
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by franugo(m): 10:12pm On Apr 22, 2020
[quote author=funmike83 post=88719044]I am aware an individual can not get pos, they must have used their corporate account meeting all the terms and conditions. They can get their money reversed, if they log complain in their various banks. The thieves can also be tracked with the pos if npf is ready to wrk imo[/

Wrong...individuals could get POS from banks and operate d pos account with a normal savings account until recently..so those pos terminals are still functional. Also, opay, paga etc, I believe give pos terminals to all n sundry
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by franugo(m): 10:14pm On Apr 22, 2020
Tetrahedron:
Who told you that its not the bankers themselves using other people’s POS to rob or rent it out to armed robbers!

See it is a very easy fix, get the banks to pay any POS robbery!

Banks are thiefs

Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by franugo(m): 10:17pm On Apr 22, 2020
LegacyB:
Yes I agree CBN should be blamed, they cashless crusaders are not acting it all.How can withdrawals of over N200,000 be made from POS agents without a trace. This is even worse than POS robbers . Anyone can just steal your card and PIN and make withdrawals from these agents and no one can trace it.

Very annoying.. Transfers of over 1M can be made via pos....that thing needs to be looked into asap
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by franugo(m): 10:22pm On Apr 22, 2020
Dashingprince:

Exactly...this kind of thing can easily be solved following this simple and common principle..But Nigeria, I don't know were it is going...probably the pit.

Some of you guys here just spill things without thinking through.... How are biz transactions supposed to be consummated if the sender can recall the funds after he has gotten value for the funds?? Is it papa ejima dt will let u carry his rods when he knows d money u just sent can be recalled by you as soon as u leave his shop?
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by franugo(m): 10:25pm On Apr 22, 2020
massingale:

The pos terminal used more often than not shows on the transaction description and even if it doesn't, I'm sure there's a way to get the info....
Ur second advise, I couldn't understand what point u were trying to make
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by franugo(m): 10:31pm On Apr 22, 2020
mhychophelha1:
I av also fall a victim of this, I got my phone lost here in ekiti and when I retrieved my line back a week after, all the money in my account as been withdrawn. The alarming part is that when I went to my bank at ado to complain about, my statement of account shows that d money was been withdrawn at Lagos from ATM machine and I av my ATM with me. In short that was when I realized that they use both my phone number and d BVN I stored on the phone to carry out the operation. To me I think what d bank can do on this for good verification is to install CCTV decoder that can only picture d face of the withdreawer or better still programme the ATM machine to ask for names and ur FINGERPRINT...... I think with that we can curtail and trace the perpetrator easily........ smiley[color=#990000][/color] smiley

There's CCTV in almost all ATMs ...some ATMs have fingerprint I believe, but it'd cost too high to replace the current ones within fingerprint ATMs
Re: Nigerians Blame Banks For Negligence As Robbers Visit Homes With POS Machines by Itzhandy: 12:46am On Apr 23, 2020
Contact https:///2347084523237 for any China Pickups,Chinese Account,WeChat Pay,Alipay all available for instant pickup,Your Money Available in 60 Minutes � � Good Rate � �[color=#990000][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Missing Adewura Bello Found Dead In A Canal In Lagos / Oyelowo Fawas: “American Prostitute” Bags 12 months Imprisonment In Ilorin / Nigerian Lady Face Jail For Wrongly Accusing Two Men Of Rape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.