Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,820 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? (32312 Views)

Why Is The Muslim World So Poor? / Akinwumi: Despite Paying High Taxes, Nigerians Still Provide Water, Electricity / Are Nigerians Docile? - Charly Boy Blows Hot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by bubblesng(m): 11:09am On Apr 23, 2020
https://thenigeriafm.com/covid-19-china-graph-who-is-trying-to-take-over-africans/

Who is trying to take over Africans ?

What our leaders don’t know is that plans upon plans will surface someday when getting loans from Asian countries we have to be careful most Asia leaders have a reason behind such a very huge loan upon loans, a longtime loan without much profit, how is that possible a country gives you the loan that you can never pay back even your next 7 generations, read more

https://thenigeriafm.com/covid-19-china-graph-who-is-trying-to-take-over-africans/
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 11:09am On Apr 23, 2020
Omooba77:
By Abimbola Adelakun

https://punchng.com/why-are-nigerians-still-so-poor/

When una dey shout SAI BABA una think una dey do me?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 11:10am On Apr 23, 2020
Devaluation. The crust of the matter
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Investnow2017: 11:10am On Apr 23, 2020
tempem:
Nicely written!
However, I think in a bit to tackle varying aspects, you've drifted off the goal of the article... From food scarcity to writing obituaries to Kyari... I feel you should have written about these individually.

I think you are right. The article began by robustly building anticipation only to end abruptly with a shocking introduction of a very strange and unrelated subject.

The writer has the power of the pen, how much I would have liked him to take the lead of the subject matter perseveringly to it's conclusion. For me I got suspended and unwittingly introduced to a subject for which I have no interest.

Thanks. I thought I was the only who noticed this painful digression.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by suremanpatriot: 11:11am On Apr 23, 2020
sad Nigerians are poor because of Pharohs in govt across the country.
Tribalism is factor but major bane if poverty in Nigeria is conspiracy among socalled looters fr 1967be seen as elite. COVID IS A PLAGUE TO SLAY ALL PHAROHS. THEY MUST FALL BY COVID FOR POVERTY TO GO. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 11:11am On Apr 23, 2020
Poshriel:

The progress you make in life my brother is not always how rich you are
Well you didn't make it clear that you weren't talking in financial terms, because the thread is clearly referring to that.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 23, 2020
GOFRONT:
Upon all our crude Oil and our Money.........What a tragedy..

Na dem same crude oil wey SAUDI ARABIA. ABU DHABI, BAHRAIN, QATAR and others.

Nigeria is doomed
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by seguno2: 11:14am On Apr 23, 2020
kikero:

1.Having crude oil alone does not make you rich. It is what you do with the crude oil that makes you rich.
If i had a farm that grew maize, I could make a pile of money just from selling the maize, and an even bigger pile if I processed the maize into many products.

2.Oil rich countries that are rich all have a) small populaitons eg Saudi produces 5-6 times more oil than we do, and has 10 million people. UAE produces the same amount of oil as we do and has 11 million people. b) are also industrial nations. Norway earns a large amount from oil and also has a strong industrial sector...including ironically producing machinery for the oil drilling and refining sector...for export.(And they have a tiny populaiton as well).

3.The US is primarily an industrial nation. That they are now the world's largest oil producer is the result of a) technological innovation borne out of being an industrial nation b) It has been US policy since they got their hands severely burned by OPEC in the 1970's to be energy independent, and they have succeeded...and this is one policy the Republicans and Democrats agree on.

4.I doubt the US is trying to make life better for all its citizens. Yes, they have some basic welfare....but it is sort of limited, and if you fall seriously ill in the US for example...you may end up with heavy duty medical bills.(compared to countries with good health insurance like the UK, Canada, Germany, etc).

5.The problem with Nigeria? We want the benefits of a first world nation without the productivity.

May you be richly blessed for this insight. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Amy2020: 11:15am On Apr 23, 2020
You are just a click away to make money without Referring anyone! Click the link below �to register
https://bloomxtra.com/index.php/ref/index/15870583672490gh
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by seguno2: 11:15am On Apr 23, 2020
9jaDoomCountry:

Na dem same crude oil wey SAUDI ARABIA. ABU DHABI, BAHRAIN, QATAR and others.

Nigeria is doomed

Nigerians are doomed.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by SLAP44: 11:15am On Apr 23, 2020
Volkswagen90:
thanks for the kind word.

That's savage grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by apex6469: 11:17am On Apr 23, 2020
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Poorboy41: 11:20am On Apr 23, 2020
This is the problem

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by MansoryMX(m): 11:22am On Apr 23, 2020
SeverusSnape:
It's now a known fact that the government of the day is a scam led by the most mendacious scammer in the history of Nigeria.

Bubu the mumu.

If this virus ends, that is if it ends. Watch how Nigerians will go back to their normal suffering and smiling as if no lesson was learnt or nothing happened to them. They will even make the same mistake again in 2023. Just watch

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by wacuc0: 11:23am On Apr 23, 2020
A country where the people don't invest is doomed to fail. Poverty will be the major industry. Have you not seen here that only the poor people are struggling to make an investment while the rich are running after stolen money.

After all these we turn to blame Government. Yes Government has some part of the blame, but 80% of Africa problem in lack of investment. Majority of the big accounts in Switzerland, Cayman Island, Canada, etc are owned by Africans particular Nigerians. Ask - Any European or Western man with a big account in Nigeria?

Four major private companies in US is bigger than the whole of Africa, this is not Government. Yes they have some blame, but the government comes from the people, you can not change it. If Nigerians lack investment spirit so shall the government lack investment power. Almost all companies in Nigeria are struggling for money not investment. These are two different things. Companies that go for investment stay after generations and continue to improve the system. While we make money and the company will die with us just to be called a Multi bilioniar Abiola's death made over 70,000 workers jobless. The same with so many thousands of companies, that is why we are poor. Juluis Berger has been here for over 50yrs and still operating while we have had over 2000 similar construction companies coming and going, just to grab money and die off. Creating over 10million jobless youths.

It is not Government it we.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by sapientia(m): 11:23am On Apr 23, 2020
Abimbola Adelakun Thanks
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by cococandy(f): 11:24am On Apr 23, 2020
For the government to say that those that have more than N5,000 in their bank accounts (a mere $10 or so) are not eligible for the ongoing CCT, the poverty rate must be staggering.

This part blew my mind. I was sad for a long time after I read it. These people have no conscience.
Yet their children are the ones thronging high end shops here purchasing outfits and unimportant items worth thousands of dollars. Yet the population is supposed to live on monthly pittance less than $15 this lockdown.

It won’t be well with them.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by apex8850: 11:27am On Apr 23, 2020
[color=#] 4318437[/color]
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by adrian3000(m): 11:27am On Apr 23, 2020
Tonero2162:
Speak for yourself bro. I'm a millionaire
You don't have sense
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by 4gunners(m): 11:29am On Apr 23, 2020
PericomaNwankwo:
Poor because the government have refused to do its job.

Poor because the people have a low Human Development Index which is very evident in their choice of leaders, their inability to act like a nation with a common purpose and revolt when needed, but in Nigeria, people are okay with a bad leader because he is from their region.

Poor because even the little effort of the citizens are not compensated from the government due to its inability to put up a "at least basic infrastructure".

Poor because the people are as bad as their leaders. I always maintain that leaders were once part of the people and when the people are good, it becomes easier to elect good leaders because leaders are elected from the populace.

Poor because they have refused to empower its people. If they had given loans to the southerners to do their business and gave them the same benefit they gave others, we won't cry against RUGA because every tribe have what they are known for. In Igbo: " ndi owuna were ihe ha ji biri".
The problems of this country are too numerous. What do you have yo say, when the bulk of those voting people into power are illiterate. They rather vote based on religious and ethnic sentiment
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Tonero2162: 11:29am On Apr 23, 2020
adrian3000:
You don't have sense
Ok
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by JAMO84: 11:29am On Apr 23, 2020
Who told this Poonch toilet paper writer that food is scarce? Did anyone go to market with his/her money and did not see food to buy?

The poor do not have money to sustain in this period of lockdown, is quit different from not producing enough food.

I AM DONE TALKING
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Saidfx(m): 11:30am On Apr 23, 2020
tempem:
Nicely written!
However, I think in a bit to tackle varying aspects, you've drifted off the goal of the article... From food scarcity to writing obituaries to Kyari... I feel you should have written about these individually.

Abi o..

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Odinaka00(m): 11:32am On Apr 23, 2020
Majority of you here are blaming the Government but the same you people voted for Buhari for 2nd term... Are you guys simply confused or what?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by PHijo(m): 11:33am On Apr 23, 2020
When people don't read they can be misled by a fraud like Buhari, those who were informed never let him deceive them in 2015 or 2019.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by nokatakata: 11:33am On Apr 23, 2020
Nigeria and Nigerians are poor because we have useless leaders. We are poor because Nigerians hardly think of producing anything. We only love to consume and give birth like pigs. A lot of nigerians are also all about paper certificates. The acquire all the certificates in the world because they want to get a high paying job. They never think of production, only to speak grammar and target high paying jobs as if the people that set up the companies aren't humans like them.
Tell an average graduate to go into agriculture and see how they'll curse you. They want to wear suit and tie and skirt and blouse and form professionals. They are not producing food, clothes, shoes, gadgets, etc. Their own no pass to set up consulting firm, tech business , advisory blah blah and all sorts.
Now small lockdown people are going broke, no food to eat. If you don't want to have too many poor people in the country, people should go into massive agriculture and produce food, food,food. Produce so much food that we will have more than enough and be able to export and make money.
Focus on production...that is what China is doing and a lot of other countries buy from them. We can focus mainly on agriculture and have most African and some foreign countries buy food from us. But na lie. Na grammar una wan speak.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by jaxxy(m): 11:34am On Apr 23, 2020
A very disorganised government from an astonishingly disorganised party.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 23, 2020
Tonero2162:
Speak for yourself bro. I'm a millionaire
sir please help we poor people with small thing, another two weeks of lockdown is highly suicidal and can lead to death of many including me due to hunger, never had a good meal for days now. It has been hunger after hunger please help me with foodstuffs if you can sir.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by desiredhome: 11:35am On Apr 23, 2020
SLAP44:
I think it's because we elected someone who should have been enjoying his old age and retirement in a reputable old people's home with the vain hope that he will save our country.g

That is not all true...it's because Nigeria have so many greedy and poor mentality people....and some are ignorantly wicked
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by IMAliyu(m): 11:35am On Apr 23, 2020
Zoroaster:
Low iq
They Keep voting the same leaders all the time
Like nigerians voted buhari in twice twice!
Does this look like actions of a people that have sense?. Nope
At least someone who understands where the problem is coming from.
We elect useless people and then complain that we have bad leaders.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Still So Poor? by guru90: 11:35am On Apr 23, 2020
Our leaders are the major problems why Nig. is still Poor.........................

They cant utilize our country currency wisely......................

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ahmad Lawan-led Faction Goes To Court Against Saraki / Wike Inspects Ongoing Works At Dr. Odili Cancer & Cardio Disease Center (Pix) / Emir Sanusi With Sheikh Zakzaky In Sudan In 1990 (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.