Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,889 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth (38051 Views)

Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. / See Important Reasons Why You Need To Get Your Cars Tinted (2020) / Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Nobody: 12:42pm On Apr 29, 2020
HeavenlyBang:
Lol, mind your business and let people do what they want with their money.

I can save up 3 months of income and buy a car with it. Is it smart? Maybe no. But a car means a lot more to me than just a means of transportation. Everybody with their poison.

Applause. In fact standing ovation. I and my wife saved almost a year to buy a car for 3.5m, when our brothers and sisters were disturbing us to "buy land, buy land", "you are living in rented apartment". My response is everybody spend your money the way you like. Now we're saving to buy our own house, not just land.
Everybody with their poison sir

17 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Sylver247: 12:42pm On Apr 29, 2020
It's only in Nigeria that car is seen as a big deal. Dear Op car is a necessity. Out there in the west even barbers and waiters have cars.

See ehn, if you want to buy a car, then buy a car. Not a moto. Don't buy something that will end up frustrating your life. It's a one time expense, and will be there serving you for at least 7 years. I think our poverty mentality is dealing with some of us here.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 29, 2020
How do u calculate networth of a civil servant.

In 2016, I saved and used all my savings to buy car. Next month I got paid and managed for some months and started saving again. In 2018 I bought 2 plots of land, completed d fencing in 2019, now saving for d house.

So how did using my whole saving to buy car an unwise decision?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Grupo(m): 12:45pm On Apr 29, 2020
thebigkendo:
Escuz me sir op, you are thinking in the rubbish,
did you help them think how they made the money? So what now concern your thinking with how they spend their money??

Mainwhile "the buy land/build house" crew will soon arrive, telling us how we should not buy car because it is a liability, all our money should be used to buy waterlogged land at ibeju lekki or 1 bed room self contain at Moye grin grin

Crazyyyyy
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by holocron: 12:46pm On Apr 29, 2020
homeboy205:

That is why you have to keep them guessing... Avoid see finish at all cost lol

Make dem feel you are broke while your bank account is pretty huge, before you know the whole people will accept you are broke...

You are on point...

"The most natural advantage any young man can have is to have your enemies overestimate your faults, and your friends underestimate your virtues". - Mario Puzo (Don Corleone speaking as 'The Godfather')

If you know you know

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Nobody: 12:47pm On Apr 29, 2020
Based on this law
Means many civil servants are worth less that their cars
Which they secured loans to afford
undecided

Sounds dumb

4 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by globalresource: 12:47pm On Apr 29, 2020
If you like don’t use a better car. When you are gone. People will take the money in the account and buy better car for themselves

Invest and also enjoy your money

You are already living your life

21 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Nobody: 12:47pm On Apr 29, 2020
aguiyi2:
One of the ills of our society.Living above one's income to impress imaginary fans.
Because of extremely low self esteem.
We measure our worth by materialism.
Look at our politicians. When u don't have self worth, u buy it.
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by GamalNasser: 12:50pm On Apr 29, 2020
lexy2014:

That's how MC hammer and Nicholas Cage became broke

99 percent of people will remain broke whether we like it or not ..ask yourself if MC hammers record label is broke or the film studios that produced Nicholas cage movies are broke ...Guy pray fir grace fro your eyes to open..there is no formula

2 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:50pm On Apr 29, 2020
grandstar:

You may be right and wrong.

It all depends on your networth. If you bought an 800,000 car as a young white collar worker, it might seem very prudent.

If however, if you're worth 100m and you're drinking a 20m Toyota jeep, then you're reckless.

I heard of a guy who made 100m in a property transaction and spent 20m on a Lexus jeep. An 8m car would have done.

Nothing bad with the guy that has a Networth of N100 million using a car of N20 million.
Apart from the car, the guy still has assets worth about N80 million that might be in form of real estate, shares, bonds, Treasury Bill, Eurobonds. It is possible that those assets are generating revenue of about N7million per annum. This is different from the money he makes from his business

The person might be a self employed businessman or self employed professional eg Architect, Lawyer, Doctor, Accountant that needs to appear well and comfortable in order to get bigger jobs and clients

14 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by ednut1(m): 12:51pm On Apr 29, 2020
DexterousOne:

Are u sure you understand the topic at hand?
networth to car value. He is saying for u to use a Toyota corrola 2004 model which is like1.6m u must be worth 8m. How is that reasonable

5 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by yusufu16: 12:52pm On Apr 29, 2020
homeboy205:
I understand, but check a situation out.

Let’s say you have 10m in your bank account today and you REALLY REALLY wish to drive a Benz(I MEAN THOSE MONEY YOU WILL SPEND WITHOUT THINKING TWICE NO MATTER WHAT). You can still opt for 3m Benz just to be safe.

Ok. You are my friend, you just bought Benz of 3m, in this Nigeria economy. I know you don’t have only 3m, I will predict you having 5m(not to exaggerate)...

But after buying the car if you go lowest key and let 1 or 2 people know you are broke. (I mean having people buy fuel in the new Benz)Mehn believe me everybody will believe you are broke..

What OP is trying to say is that those homeboys are broke and they are driving big cars forming big boys. You need to stay under the same roof with anyone before concluding they are broke.

So to answer own questions , IF YOU DONT ACT BROKE IN NIGERIA THEY WILL DRAIN YOU ....

I have first hand experience...

On point.

In this country if you are wise, just always pretend you are broke even if you are rich.

I have a car but sometimes I trek and use okada. If you want to form big these days, armed robber, thief's will show you pepper

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Sagay212: 12:53pm On Apr 29, 2020
HeavenlyBang:
Lol, mind your business and let people do what they want with their money.

I can save up 3 months of income and buy a car with it. Is it smart? Maybe no. But a car means a lot more to me than just a means of transportation. Everybody with their poison.

Some of these people don't know how important a car is until they have one. Imagine you having to be struggling for bus in this Corona period all because you are forming saving and smart. At the end of the day, corona will kill you and someone else will chop your money. Aside from corona, you stand the risk of one chance if you don't have a car, you'll be scared not to get robbed late in the night when trekking home from your bus stop because no okada or napep.

The same people forming smart and saving will be the ones complaining that car owners are wicked for driving alone and not helping people standing at bus stops under hot sun or heavy rain. Shebi you dey form smart wan save money and invest, no wahala suffer your suffer and let me enjoy my AC in my car.

There is absolutely nothing wrong if you take a loan to buy a car and pay back monthly convinently. Things should be done one step at a time. Get that car, then you can get the land or do whatever business you want to do. Do not subject yourself to unnecessary hardship. Some people will tell you to build a house before buying a car as if you can use 1.5 or 2m to buy house and build a reasonable house.

29 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Rilwayne001: 12:54pm On Apr 29, 2020
Each to his own.
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 29, 2020
That’s why my car gift is economically compact I am grateful

2 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by AreaFada2: 12:54pm On Apr 29, 2020
It all depends on the purpose. If appearing in a nice car helps secure contracts from wealthy clients, then that's fine. If you also have multiple and growing income streams and a car or cars with reasonable second hand value, then also fine.

But buying cars that will further drain your funds yet have no added value to your life or business, you need to think twice.

3 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by yusufu16: 12:55pm On Apr 29, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Nothing bad with the guy that has a Networth of N100 million using a car of N20 million.
Apart from the car, the guy still has assets worth about N80 million that might be in form of real estate, shares, bonds, Treasury Bill, Eurobonds. It is possible that those assets are generating revenue of about N70 million per annum.

The person might be a self employed businessman or self employed professional eg Architect, Lawyer, Doctor, Accountant that needs to appear well and comfortable in order to get bigger jobs and clients

I agree. It depends on the job sometimes.

E.g. as a government contractor, car worth over N50m will get you a good contact. You need to show levels if you want to get juicy contract

1 Like

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by annisy(f): 12:55pm On Apr 29, 2020
In this part of the world car � is not a luxury but a necessity,! And moreover life is too short go for what ever gives you joy and make you happy!!! If owning your dream car with 100% of your worth makes you happy, then go for it

4 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Vulcan24(m): 12:56pm On Apr 29, 2020
Techydude:

If you're a salary earner who saved up to buy an expensive car just to show off. Then you're way in over your head already. Business owners in some sectors of the economy need to look the part so they can have access to the people who matter. Perception is very important. If you don't look the part you often won't get the role. There's a lot to consider. The 20% rule makes a lot of sense but their are exceptions and several people can attest their success to the image they project. The key to generating wealth is to spend way less than what you earn. Often, you'll need to take a leap of faith and extend yourself to get to the next level.

u are a working class guy with enough exp

2 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Adakintroy2: 12:56pm On Apr 29, 2020
Na today we know Nigerians live above there means. Girl guys alike. The two set sometime Na the same. snake weh bite one use tale flogg the other.

My guy Emma go carry me for Moto. If chick DE him go just start to hype me that yr.

Emma: Omo when you sell your pile land nobody hear o..". Only you blow everything.

Me: guy you no DE around Na what to do?. Even the guy sef price pass anything. Got to sell am throwe.

Ema: but he still reach 5m. Na?

Me: 3.5m Na reach me Na I know. After plus minus.

You go think say he no DE enter?. He DE work like magic.tthe goal na make the girl DE hear millions...

12 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Nobody: 12:56pm On Apr 29, 2020
yusufu16:

On point.

In this country if you are wise, just always pretend you are broke even if you are rich.

I have a car but sometimes I trek and use okada. If you want to form big these days, armed robber, thief's will show you pepper
Tell them.

Kidnappers too.
Or is it people that are better than you who still want you to act as father Xmas towards them?

5 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by mebad(m): 12:57pm On Apr 29, 2020
samsard:
Most American car purchases are financed, AKA bank loans. The problem is that our mentality is that loans are bad. Developed economies literally run on debt! The issue is that it should be healthy debt

no mind the oversabi attitude of Nigerians.
car is a depreciating asset. no one in Western worlds will buy a car cash down when you lose 15% of the value the very minute the title is transferred to your name and you drive out of the dealership.

I have never understood why people care so much about how others chose to spend their money . if I have 1m in my account , how is it anyone's business if i chose to spend on a car or shoe.... na me make my money and na me wan spend am and if I broke na me go still suffer am.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Sagay212: 12:58pm On Apr 29, 2020
IkpuNnegiEwu44:

In 2016, I saved and used all my savings to buy car. Next month I got paid and managed for some months and started saving again. In 2018 I bought 2 plots of land, completed d fencing in 2019, now saving for d house.

Very good....take it one step at a time. If one is focused , you will achieve want you want. You don't have to suffer yourself because you want to build house or invest. Some certain things make life very easy and comfortable and one should get them if you can.

Don't listen to all these stu.pid people with their oversabi motivational nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Nobody: 12:59pm On Apr 29, 2020
AreaFada2:
It all depends on the purpose. If appearing in a nice car helps secure contracts from wealthy clients, then that's fine. If you also have multiple and growing income streams and a car or cars with reasonable second hand value, then also fine.

But buying cars that will further drain your funds yet have no added value to your life or business, you need to think twice.

The question is how many people are into contract?
Small fraction of the society.

2 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Nobody: 1:00pm On Apr 29, 2020
Report or you may quote to insult me, but the truth is I am hungry and I am an ulcer patient too, I cant steal because u will still condemn me, pls help your daughter with 1000 for survival.
0010368892 emuka .c. Vivian Gtbank
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by yusufu16: 1:00pm On Apr 29, 2020
Sagay212:

Some of these people don't know how important a car is until they have one. Imagine you having to be struggling for bus in this Corona period all because you are forming saving and smart. At the end of the day, corona will kill you and someone else will chop your money. Aside from corona, you stand the risk of one chance if you don't have a car, you'll be scared not to get robbed late in the night when trekking home from your bus stop because no okada or napep.

The same people forming smart and saving will be the ones complaining that car owners are wicked for driving alone and not helping people standing at bus stops under hot sun or heavy rain. Shebi you dey form smart wan save money and invest, no wahala suffer your suffer and let me enjoy my AC in my car.

There is absolutely nothing wrong if you take a loan to buy a car and pay back monthly convinently. Things should be done one step at a time. Get that car, then you can get the land or do whatever business you want to do. Do not subject yourself to unnecessary hardship. Some people will tell you to build a house before buying a car as if you can use 1.5 or 2m to buy house and build a reasonable house.

Don't mind them. Car is a necessity and not a luxury especially if you leave in Abuja, Lagos, Ibadan, PortHarcour etc.

I wonder how somebody will buy house and not have a car. Car will increase your productivity as you will not need to waste valuable time on transportation.

7 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by GamalNasser: 1:01pm On Apr 29, 2020
IkpuNnegiEwu44:

Don't mind that guy

2 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by seguno2: 1:01pm On Apr 29, 2020
homeboy205:
I understand, but check a situation out.

Let’s say you have 10m in your bank account today and you REALLY REALLY wish to drive a Benz(I MEAN THOSE MONEY YOU WILL SPEND WITHOUT THINKING TWICE NO MATTER WHAT). You can still opt for 3m Benz just to be safe.

Ok. You are my friend, you just bought Benz of 3m, in this Nigeria economy. I know you don’t have only 3m, I will predict you having 5m(not to exaggerate)...

But after buying the car if you go lowest key and let 1 or 2 people know you are broke. (I mean having people buy fuel in the new Benz)Mehn believe me everybody will believe you are broke..

What OP is trying to say is that those homeboys are broke and they are driving big cars forming big boys. You need to stay under the same roof with anyone before concluding they are broke.

So to answer own questions , IF YOU DONT ACT BROKE IN NIGERIA THEY WILL DRAIN YOU ....

I have first hand experience...

You must be moving with very fake people to have this first hand experience.
Nobody can drain you except you open yourself up for draining. Are they armed robbers or what senseless talk is that

5 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by demolagilbert: 1:01pm On Apr 29, 2020
samsard:
Most American car purchases are financed, AKA bank loans. The problem is that our mentality is that loans are bad. Developed economies literally run on debt! The issue is that it should be healthy debt
and yet a savings/investment culture trumps a credit culture anyday. Someone made a post on LinkedIn about the financial armaggedon in the US and the huge job losses, painting a grim picture of how a COO could end up working at a mall post COVID. 'Anything to stay afloat, till things stabilise, cos the BILLS have to be paid'. And truly it has already begun evident by the comments on the post by high ranking officials who are now jobless submitting that they truly will take any job, even if it rubbishes all efforts that grew their careers in the last 10-15 years. Why that level of desperation? It is cos debts will have to be repaid. Student loans, car loans, mortgage payments, even phones and computers are bought mostly on credit.

I take pride in that my car is mine 100%, and everything I own is mine 100%. I resigned at the height of the recession in 2015/2016, still did my MBA and got married. no shaking. Didnt take up another job till mid-2017. Took up another, and got transferred after 3 mths halfway across Nigeria, and three mths after the transfer I resigned again. Heaven did not fall. Till Jan 2019 when I took this current one. While, not everyone will be wildly crazily optimistic like me with my penchant for dumping jobs that don't make me fulfilled, I could have never had as much CONTROL over my life and life decisions, if I was neck deep in all manner of loans. Like the average American I would swiftly descend into a state of despair, willing to take anything. I believe strongly that we should be in CHARGE of our finances, and by extension lives.

A borrower is a SLAVE to the lender. To me, it is bondage. If it isn't for business, I will never/pray to not ever have a reason to use debt to get personal tins done, so help me GOD.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by ehardetola(m): 1:02pm On Apr 29, 2020
homeboy205:

Yes true and I also knew someone who made money from illegal businesses. Instead of flaunting the money, he went ahead and get loan of 35M from the bank with properties belonging to his family.

Dude bought 10M car and use the rest for business, whereas he has the money. He just need to wash it legitly into the economy. Like some Power stunts

Because people do these things don’t confirm they are broke.

People getting loan knows they will payback one way or the other and they have plans.

I WILL SAY THIS AGAIN, IF YOU FORM RICH IN NIGERIA THEY WILL DRAIN YOU

I don’t know if you have came across a video of an Igbo guy counting money still telling someone on the phone that he hasn’t eat since morning. Still asking the person to bring the food he has so they can eat together while he was counting thousand LOL...

Some will tell you they use all their money to buy a car of 2 million, they can’t flex you self. Before you know gossip go don enter town say he buy car he broke.. Whereas dude was Escaping Billings

I dey fill your vibes.
Some fake it and some is obviously they are broke.
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by iyke4(m): 1:03pm On Apr 29, 2020
My percentage should be a worth around 120% since I just have my certificates with no job.
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by yusufu16: 1:03pm On Apr 29, 2020
Sagay212:

Very good....take it one step at a time. If one is focused , you will achieve want you want. You don't have to suffer yourself because you want to build house or invest. Some certain things make life very easy and comfortable and one should get them if you can.

Don't listen to all these stu.pid people with their oversabi motivational nonsense.

Correct on point.

And some people even after acquiring or building house, they still live in abject poverty

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

22 Vehicle Manufacturers to Move into Nigeria / Rare Ferrari 288 GTO Worth $2 Million Stolen By Would-be Buyer During Test Drive / 2018 Lexus GS F (price, Photos And Features)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.