Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 - Travel (213) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (1156455 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) ... (723) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Jermaineayo: 7:46pm On Aug 08, 2020
Alright...Makes sense.

holluville:

First Stage, Second Stage I think
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by MadeMan01(m): 7:55pm On Aug 08, 2020
Uriel12:
Good evening NL.
Does anyone have an idea, as to how long it takes for University to respond on admission decision?

Mine took a month

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Uriel12: 7:57pm On Aug 08, 2020
MadeMan01:

Mine took a month

Alright.
Thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ogidigan1: 8:07pm On Aug 08, 2020
Gurus in the house, could u pls respond to my question:
Ogidigan1:
Pls gurus in the house...I presently have a B.Eng 2-1 in Chem Engr. from a Nigerian university. I also have over 8yrs oil & gas cognate exp. I wanted to apply for PGD Chem Engr in any Canadian college since I'm very sure I will secure admission easily...Unfortunately, no college in Canada offers PGD in Chem Engr...all I see is Advanced diploma in Chem Engr.... Pls Gurus, do you think I will be rejected by the Visa officers if I apply for student visa with Adv dip admission letter. (Note: I don't intend to do MSc)
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Fgmp12: 9:02pm On Aug 08, 2020
Ogidigan1:
Your best bet should be Masters since you have a lot of experience in Oil and Gas. Here are few schools that offer masters in Chemical Engineering. https://www.mastersportal.com/study-options/269352992/chemical-engineering-canada.html

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 9:09pm On Aug 08, 2020
Ogidigan1:
Hi,

Applying for an Advanced Diploma is not a Career Progression, even a PGD (based on ur 2.1) is slightly not a Career Progression, but you can still give it a shot since its a Graduate Program.

Normally Masters should be ur next move but like u said, u intend not to do a Masters

Since u are not able to get a PGD in Chemical Engineering from a College,
have you tried checking for PGD Chem. Engineering in Universities...

Google the following schools & their Chem. Engineering Programs

Graduate Certificate in Chemical Engineering
Concordia University, Quebec

Graduate Diploma in Chemical Engineering

Postgraduate Diploma PGD in chemical engineering
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan

Graduate Diploma in Nuclear Engineering
McMaster University, Ontario

Graduate Diploma, Instrumental Chemical Analysis
Trent University, Ontario

PG.Cert, Process Quality Engineering
Conestoga College, Ontario
https://www.conestogac.on.ca/fulltime/process-quality-engineering

Note that in ur SOP (Statement of Purpose), you would need to give a cogent reason to a VISA OFFICER on why u are going for a PGD, instead of a Masters Degree[, if the reason is not cogent enough, it can raise a RED FLAG
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ogidigan1: 9:19pm On Aug 08, 2020
Boss, tnx a million...I sent you a private msg...pls kindly respond
Lekiboboe:

Hi,

Applying for an Advanced Diploma is not a Career Progression, even a PGD (based on ur 2.1) is slightly not a Career Progression, but you can still give it a shot since its a Graduate Program.

Normally Masters should be ur next move but like u said, u intend not to do a Masters

Note that in ur SOP (Statement of Purpose), you would need to give a cogent reason to a VISA OFFICER on why u are going for a PGD, instead of a Masters Degree[, if the reason is not cogent enough, it can raise a RED FLAG
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ogidigan1: 9:19pm On Aug 08, 2020
Tnx a million my brother...
Fgmp12:

Your best bet should be Masters since you have a lot of experience in Oil and Gas. Here are few schools that offer masters in Chemical Engineering. https://www.mastersportal.com/study-options/269352992/chemical-engineering-canada.html
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Rach622(f): 9:21pm On Aug 08, 2020
Lekiboboe:

Hi,

I am also going for a PGD and I have a 2.1 in Agricultural Economics with 5 years working experinece I don't have any cogent reason for applying for PGD in Agriculture rather than Masters except funds. PgD is so much less expensive than Masters. What do you advise?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by dayjeee(m): 9:40pm On Aug 08, 2020
Thank you to all the contributors on this thread.
I am a graduate of history and International studies(2.1) and i work in a financial institution as a customer service officer. I also have a registered business that I and a friend partnered to run as a side hustle and its like 6months now.
Please what PGD or certificate in a college will be well suited for me so that it wont raise red flag when applying for visa?
I am planning of applying for 2021 fall semester
Thank you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 9:41pm On Aug 08, 2020
Rach622:

I am also going for a PGD and I have a 2.1 in Agricultural Economics with 5 years working experinece I don't have any cogent reason for applying for PGD in Agriculture rather than Masters except funds. PgD is so much less expensive than Masters. What do you advise?
Well, you might need to have a cogent reason to justify why u are going for a PGD instead of a masters (Purpose of Study),

Cos a VISA Officer can make a decision at his/her own discretion.

Have you tried applying for a thesis-based masters program and get a Supervisor, you might be lucky to get a fully -funded or Partially funded thesis program

U can Check page 112 for more info on that

Visit the link below for Schools offering Masters in Agric. Econs & Related programs
https://www.universitystudy.ca/search-programs/?k=Agricultural+Economics&program_level_merged=Master%27s+degree&program_language=ENGLISH

U can research about the Professors/Doctors in that department in their respective schools and send a contextualized e-mail to them

Note: Make sure the Research Area u are interested in aligns with the research interest of the Prof./Doctors you want to mail

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Luckymama: 9:46pm On Aug 08, 2020
Lekiboboe:

Applied : June 10
Didn't do Upfront Medical
No Medical request

Got AIP today August 6

Wow. Lekiboboe. Big congratulations. You have been really helpful and patient on this thread. Just like the Bible says: the one that gives generously will himself be freely watered. So happy for you

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Osemigho: 10:09pm On Aug 08, 2020
MadeMan01:

He @osemigho,
Nice reading up on your posts.
Regarding the 3 year PGWP after one year master's,is it possible too after one year post degree diploma/certificate. I applied for Advanced Business Management Diploma for Spring 2021. If possible, how did the guys you know of do it.
You can email me on: ufuoma.ojomaikre@outlook.com

I have only seen masters. I think IRCC has a caveat that exempt masters student in the one year PGWP rule that applies to certificate student.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 10:16pm On Aug 08, 2020
dayjeee:
Thank you to all the contributors on this thread.
I am a graduate of history and International studies(2.1) and i work in a financial institution as a customer service officer. I also have a registered business that I and a friend partnered to run as a side hustle and its like 6months now.
Please what PGD or certificate in a college will be well suited for me so that it wont raise red flag when applying for visa?
I am planning of applying for 2021 fall semester
Thank you

Normally with your 2.1,
a Masters should be the next line of action for u, but your work experience (registered business & customer care service provider in a financial institution) is a cogent reason you can explain to a VISA OFFICER (in ur SOP) if its a Business Related PGD/PG. Cert u are going for.

For PGD/PGC in International Business Management(IBM)
or
PGD/PGC in Global Business Management (GBM)

Visit the link below for schools offering PGC in IBM
https://www.ontariocolleges.ca/en/programs/search?q=International%20Business%20Management&page=0&by%5BProgramCredentialEnglish%5D%5B0%5D=Graduate%20Certificate

Visit the link below for schools offering PGC in GBM
https://www.ontariocolleges.ca/en/programs/search?q=Global%20Business%20Management&page=0&by%5BProgramCredentialEnglish%5D%5B0%5D=Graduate%20Certificate

For other PG. Cert & Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Business Programs, Visit the link below
https://www.collegesinstitutes.ca/our-members/list-of-degrees/?fwp_search_by_keyword=Business&fwp_program_levels=graduate-certificate

Check LAMBTON College as well for their PGD/PGC Business program

and also,

its advisable for u to write a Cover letter (addressed to that department in the sch.) as part of the supporting documents for ur admission application, in which u will talk about why u are going for IBM/GBM instead of a History & Int'l relation related program,
this is where u will now explain urself that "u have a registered business u do with so so years/months of experience, and u would need more knowledge for your business to get a global recognition, blah blah and be able to do business beyond borders",and also in the cover letter mention like 3-4 courses/subjects u will be doing in that program.
also
u need an Updated Resume or CV in which your Business name , type of business , when u started etc. should be there

In Summary,
know that, ur transcript says more about your History & Int'l relations degree,
so its your cover letter and ur Updated Resume/CV the admission committee of the college will likely dwell more on in order to make a decision if u will be given the admission or not.

All da best!!!

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Luckymama: 10:16pm On Aug 08, 2020
Lekiboboe:
Good morning to you all,

Is there anyone who Booked for Upfront Medicals @ IOM, Ikeja, Lagos ,

If yes,

-what effective medium of communication can one use to book for Medicals there(email booking, Online Booking or Phone Call)?
- How did you get a response to come for the Medicals?
- What are the documents taken to the clinic?
- And is there something you will upload in ur profile to notify CIC that you have done medicals?

Any additional info about doing medicals at IOM, Ikeja, Lagos will be appreciated

Thanks

You send them an email on the email address on the website and they will respond. They will give you an appointment date and the amount to pay. Ensure to pay at least 2 days to your appointment.

You should go with your evidence of payment and your international passport.

Depending on the crowd it is a 3 to 4 hour process. Expect to have a blood test, a chest x ray, consultation with a nurse and a doctor.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 10:19pm On Aug 08, 2020
Luckymama:

Wow. Lekiboboe. Big congratulations. You have been really helpful and patient on this thread. Just like the Bible says: the one that gives generously will himself be freely watered. So happy for you
Thanks so Much ma'am
cheesy smiley
Yes u are right, To God be the Glory

I do appreciate
Remain blessed!!!!!!!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 10:24pm On Aug 08, 2020
Luckymama:

You send them an email on the email address on the website and they will respond. They will give you an appointment date and the amount to pay. Ensure to pay at least 2 days to your appointment.

You should go with your evidence of payment and your international passport.

Depending on the crowd it is a 3 to 4 hour process. Expect to have a blood test, a chest x ray, consultation with a nurse and a doctor.
Alright thanks for the directive,
I booked already thru their website, and i have bin given an Appointment and information of the Fees to be paid & bank to pay to.

To your second to the last paragraph, & last paragraph, Roger That!!

Tnx once again... Appreciate

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by NwanyiOkpa(f): 10:47pm On Aug 08, 2020
Luckymama:

hello ma. any update on yours?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Pee2Jay9: 10:59pm On Aug 08, 2020
Are you sure that Diploma is cheaper than Masters? Make better findings o.. Check many schools
Rach622:

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Fgmp12: 11:01pm On Aug 08, 2020
Pee2Jay9:
Are you sure that Diploma is cheaper than Masters? Make better findings o.. Check many schools
Yes they are less expensive when compared to a regular Master's degree.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Muslimity(m): 11:26pm On Aug 08, 2020
Good evening All,

Please, I like to know when applying for study permit for my son: who should be the one spraking in the SOP/LOE? Even if I wish to write the SOP, should I speak using the first person pronoun or the third person pronoun?

NOTE: My son is a minor (15 years old) going for undergraduate studies.

Kindly guide and advise.

Fgmp12:

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ayodeji786: 11:26pm On Aug 08, 2020
I did reply your email
Nomsy33:
Hi, Am applying for the first time, MUN, please I need your guidance through the application process. Sent you a mail. Thanks.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ayodeji786: 11:28pm On Aug 08, 2020
Please recheck who you’re addressing the correspondence to
librangyps:

I advise you submit your application for student permit for this fall.

IRCC will continue to process AIP on applications submitted before September 15.

Take advantage.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ayodeji786: 11:29pm On Aug 08, 2020
Please, guys what the full meaning of AIP?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 08, 2020
Ayodeji786:
Please, guys what the full meaning of AIP?
approval in principle
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by ptoall1000: 11:46pm On Aug 08, 2020
Lekiboboe:

Well, you might need to have a cogent reason to justify why u are going for a PGD instead of a masters (Purpose of Study),

Cos a VISA Officer can make a decision at his/her own discretion.

Have you tried applying for a thesis-based masters program and get a Supervisor, you might be lucky to get a fully -funded or Partially funded thesis program

U can Check page 112 for more info on that

Visit the link below for Schools offering Masters in Agric. Econs & Related programs
https://www.universitystudy.ca/search-programs/?k=Agricultural+Economics&program_level_merged=Master%27s+degree&program_language=ENGLISH

U can research about the Professors in that department in their respective schools and send a contextualized e-mail to them

Let him give a chance but the challenge he may face is convincing those professors to accept him or consider him for funding because they like people who have proven to have passion or research along the line of study already

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 11:57pm On Aug 08, 2020
ptoall1000:

Let him give a chance but the challenge he may face is convincing those professors to accept him or consider him for funding because they like people who have proven to have passion or research along the line of study already
Yes, you are Right,

That's Why I referred her to Page 112 , cos a Generic Mail to a Professor might not be adequate enough to get a response from a Potential Supervisor.

A Start-Off email to Professors and Contextualized SOP could woo a Potential Supervisor
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ayodeji786: 12:14am On Aug 09, 2020
Thanks buddy. Because during my time it was TRV or PPR I know we do shout. Lol
Tonyodg:
approval in principle
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 12:26am On Aug 09, 2020
Ayodeji786:
Thanks buddy. Because during my time it was TRV or PPR I know we do shout. Lol
hehe it’s still in use.. It’s because of this covid ircc adopted this AIP method so students can begin fall 2020
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by impeccablerose: 1:02am On Aug 09, 2020
Osemigho:

I have only seen masters. I think IRCC has a caveat that exempt masters student in the one year PGWP rule that applies to certificate student.

I think the picture below explains the situation of your friends. For example, before now, the program duration of an MEng in U of C(as seen on the website) is 2 years. However, some peeps complete the program in 1 year and still get 2 - 3 years PGWP upon graduation. This means their program was "accelerated".

I need your advice on this please. One of the schools I applied to run an MEng program for 1 year (UWO - as seen on the website), though I am yet to get a decision on my application.
I believe I can extend my program to 16 months (with the intention of getting a 2 years PGWP).

Will the duration I spend on the program (16 months) be considered for my PGWP or the schools program duration of 1 year?

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ayodeji786: 2:12am On Aug 09, 2020
Thanks for the clarification �
Tonyodg:
hehe it’s still in use.. It’s because of this covid ircc adopted this AIP method so students can begin fall 2020

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) ... (723)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / USA Visit Visa Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.