Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,078 members, 7,811,020 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 - Travel (303) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (1156017 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) ... (723) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 2:19pm On Sep 05, 2020
rojah:
Hello house!
I am new here and I have tried to read the thread but I found out that most of the information here are for visa processing.

Pls I would love to go for PhD Civil Engineering in Canada with funding. I wouldnt mind if anyone can suggest schools I can look out for and the process.

I have CGPA of 4.13/5.0 B.Sc and 6.8/7.0 MSc(Awaiting convocation date).

Thank you.

Visit the link below for

Schools offering PH.D in Civil Engineering Programs in Canada
https://www.universitystudy.ca/search-programs/?k=Civil+engineering&program_level_merged=Doctorate&program_language=ENGLISH

VERY IMPORTANTLY,

Visit the Link below
https://www.nairaland.com/5818588/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/111#90933556

for experience information & tips on:

GETTING A SUPERVISOR AND POSSIBLE, FUNDING: MY EXPERIENCE WITH NORTH AMERICAN SCHOOLS (CANADA & U.S.A.)

HINTS ON SECURING ADMISSIONS IN CANADIAN UNIVERSITIES (PARTICULARLY MASTERS' DEGREE)

TIPS ON GETTING A SUPERVISOR FOR RESEARCH/THESIS BASED M.Sc and Ph.D Part 1 & 2

And also watch the YouTube Videos there for some very Vital Tips , it will help u alot

TITLED:
- WHAT TO INCLUDE IN EMAILS TO PROFESSORS WHEN SEEKING GRAD. SCHOOL ADMISSION, FUNDING IN CANADA & U.S.A

- HOW TO WRITE A COMPELLING "SOP" (STATEMENT OF PURPOSE) FOR GRADUATE SCHOOL

Congratulations in Advance to your M.SC Convocation

Good luck!!!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Akannitommy: 2:27pm On Sep 05, 2020
Hi,

Your profile looks great from afar but you need more than the grades or a particular school to get a funded PhD. The questions you want to try address at this stage include thus; Have you any academic publications, patents or research experiences? Are there any gap years between those degrees and what have you been doing in between? What is your research direction and how well defined is that idea? You need all these checked off on your list before you reach out to prospective supervisors? There are very few programs that would take you without a supervisor although I have heard someone on this platform said it is possible but I can only speak from personal and other direct experiences I have had in this regard.

I think you can check those boxes and come back when you have more questions.

Ciao!
rojah:
Hello house!
I am new here and I have tried to read the thread but I found out that most of the information here are for visa processing.

Pls I would love to go for PhD Civil Engineering in Canada with funding. I wouldnt mind if anyone can suggest schools I can look out for and the process.

Thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 05, 2020
vibrant99:
Let me explain it for you...

Nigerians do know what is called Statistics and Data, it means nothing to them.

Even as we speak, we don't know how many people are currently living in your area.

When ever you want to know if anything works , it is Statistics and the data available that people use.

How many people tried this , How many people did it work for , how many people failed in it?

It helps to show you if it is feasible, You asked a question.... Oya scroll back and Check everyone that wrote about their Approval from 2 years back till today on Nairaland and on this Thread, Check the schools they applied to and see if the College you are scampering for is enough to give you some hope.

In layman's language , How many of them is College?

Thanks for this I understand now cheesy
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ujeinijobog: 2:48pm On Sep 05, 2020
Please, can someone help me with an answer? Thank you!

Ujeinijobog:
Hello everyone

Please I'll appreciate if someone can provide a response to my question.

I made a post last month saying that I deffered my admission to September 2021 and I was advised to wait for sometime. I just got the new letter of admission from my school but I'm skeptical about sending it via webform cause I don't know how it will affect my application (since I already received my AIP).

To my question, is now a good time to forward the new LOA via webform and if not, when is the best time for me to forward it?

Thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Anamekele: 2:56pm On Sep 05, 2020
rojah:
Hello house!

Thank you.
University of Alberta, Concordia university,
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Akannitommy: 2:58pm On Sep 05, 2020
@rojah: see this post from Honourable
Osemigho:

Hi, you are provided an excellent response to the case and you are right that PhD is very very competitive. However, I don’t think there is enough evidence to conclude that the response is generic assuming that the applicant requested for supervision.

I would clarify the response if I am the one, based on my personal experience and knowledge. I also have another mentee, seeking admission for Fall 2021, that got similar response and I advised him to clarify it. The prof responded and confirmed that the candidate can name him/her on the application.

The truth is some professors don’t usually have time to provide elaborate response to things like this. It is the least thing on to-do-list since they can recruit student locally or at conferences.

Also not all feedback require video interview and the rest. After applying, I did not get admission in schools with prof that interviewed me and reviewed my research proposal multiple times. I was offered admission at UofCalgary where no profs interviewed or reviewed my proposal. All I got was confirmation email responding to the original one I sent to them.

In conclusion, although there is a general supervisor search and graduate admission pattern, I would say every case is unique and each candidate must treat it as such.

All the best.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Akannitommy: 3:07pm On Sep 05, 2020
Below was my post on related question from March 2020. I tried to share/quote directly but got a message that "topic was locked". Don't know what that means.

PhD is a research work that requires you to be highly independent and curious minded. This can be be displayed in the quality of your research idea or prospective research focus. A 500-words abridged research proposal is a good measure of how you can pass across your ideas in few words. An expanded proposal may be requested in other cases but keeping it simple have always worked for me.

You also need academic preparations in terms of qualifications and grades. A minimum of 2.1 will be good enough to qualify you. Some programs/countries requires you to write standardized exams (GRE/GMAT). This may make up for high 2.2 or low 2.1 grades in places where the exam score are not required. So if you submit (even when they are not required) these could help your case. NB: you stand better chance if your masters is an academic degree (not a professional/terminal degree) - check out status of yours and the difference from experts in your discipline. If you have an MPhil, even better. You may want to do a second masters that is academic (one year) and aim to score high.

Below is the process that has always worked for me to secure PhD admissions in different countries.

1. Choose a focus area and subject you want to research.
2. Write an abridged proposal -- check samples online and in libraries for structure.
3. You may want to develop a more robust proposal as back up in case your program/supervisor requires it
4. Search for programs, schools, or professors who specialize in your interest area. Look at their works and you may even find research ideas from such places. Get the emails and other contact details for any of these that may interest you.
5. My advise is to also look at the admissions requirement and availability of funding in these programs. They are usually open about what comes with the offer, if you get it.
6. One or more research publications in peer-reviewed journals will boost your chances.
7. A good unpublished writing sample - term paper, assignment, project report - may also be adequate.
8. Using the draft proposals to craft a simple (250 - 300 words) inquiry email to prospective supervisors. This is a very important email -- all aspects are crucial -- right to the captioned subject. For instance, Enquiry: Prospective PhD in International Development Studies
9. Send out this email to as many relevant professors as possible. BUT always edit them so you can direct to appeal to the interests of such people.
10. If you receive 3 out 10 replies your inquiries, then you are either lucky or sufficiently good to catch their attention. Reason is they receive 10's of such emails weekly. Don't be discouraged! Some will ignore altogether, some will tell you they are not available or interested, some will request for additional information -- scan transcripts, writing sample, CV etc. If your email and research area meets with someone who is looking to hire a Phd student in that same area, then you are you have crossed a major hurdle. They would usually request a meeting/interview via Skype at this point. If you impress during your interview and they say you can go ahead to apply, your admission and funding are almost guaranteed. You must ensure your focus is always tweaked to match the interests of people you are contacting. There may be other variations to these but this is mostly my personal experience and from friends I know who have also succeeded in their PhD quest.

When you get to this point in your quest, you have my email then you can reach out for more tips. Otherwise, if you have the funds then just put in a good application to many schools and you can get one or two. Mostly, PhDs are not admitted because of your fees but your research potential.

rojah:
Hello house!

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by ConradAce1(m): 3:49pm On Sep 05, 2020
Frankrobbn1 and Oga Fratermathy Thank you guys too

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by everyevery: 4:03pm On Sep 05, 2020
Please house anyone with information on five colleges I can apply for IT related post graduate courses without test of English requirements,thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 4:30pm On Sep 05, 2020
everyevery:
Please house anyone with information on five colleges I can apply for IT related post graduate courses without test of English requirements,thanks
Check out the links below for I.T. Graduate Programs and schools offering them, then oock 5-Colleges of your CHOICE
Cyber security, IT Business Analysis, programming ,Animation, GIS, software development, mobile development. Web development etc.

https://www.ontariocolleges.ca/en/programs/search?q=Compute&page=0&by%5BProgramCredentialEnglish%5D%5B0%5D=Graduate%20Certificate

https://www.collegesinstitutes.ca/our-members/list-of-degrees/?fwp_search_by_keyword=Information%20Technology&fwp_program_levels=graduate-certificate

and also,

Search for more I.T related PG.Cert course of your choice in the SEARCH BOX of those links above

- As Regards English Test Requirement you see on school websites, ignore it if you are a NIGERIAN

If u are a NIGERIAN, u don't need an English Test to apply for a PG.Cert in Canada, NIGERIA is an English Speaking Country & ur medium of instruction from the University/Polytechnic is English etc

IELTS (English Test) for admission in Canada are meant for countries whose language or official language is not ENGLISH e.g India, China, Philippine , Vietnam etc.

If the school u graduated from is opened (Registrar Office) , U can get an English Test Waiver/Exemption letter from them I.e LETTER OF CONFIRMATION OF PROFICIENCY IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Johnk110: 5:24pm On Sep 05, 2020
Hello sir, how are you doing hope you are fine. Am new in this forum, I have a Bsc degree in accounting, I have an aunty in canada though we are not related. I talked with her as regarding coming over to Canada. She said I should apply for student visa. The name of the school is Dominion college of business health and technology. And the program I wanna apply for is personal support worker( not related to my field of study) currently I don't even know how to start with the application because I went to the school website but I don't really understand their requirements.please can you guide me on step by step application of the study visa? And if am given admission in the school, am I likely to get visa approval because my aunty knows the owner of the school. I don't just understand anything concerning visa stuff and all that. Thank you
Frankrobbn1:

Well spot on!

I'm anxiously waiting for your success story to be shared on this platform soon.

It will end in praise.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Austacus: 6:07pm On Sep 05, 2020
Johnk110:
Hello sir, how are you doing hope you are fine. Am new in this forum, I have a Bsc degree in accounting, I have an aunty in canada though we are not related. I talked with her as regarding coming over to Canada. She said I should apply for student visa. The name of the school is Dominion college of business health and technology. And the program I wanna apply for is personal support worker( not related to my field of study) currently I don't even know how to start with the application because I went to the school website but I don't really understand their requirements.please can you guide me on step by step application of the study visa? And if am given admission in the school, am I likely to get visa approval because my aunty knows the owner of the school. I don't just understand anything concerning visa stuff and all that. Thank you

Pin this comment.

You won't get your visa for PSW.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by ConradAce1(m): 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2020
Lekiboboe:

Check out the links below for I.T. Graduate Programs and schools offering them, then oock 5-Colleges of your CHOICE
Cyber security, IT Business Analysis, programming ,Animation, GIS, software development, mobile development. Web development etc.

https://www.ontariocolleges.ca/en/programs/search?q=Compute&page=0&by%5BProgramCredentialEnglish%5D%5B0%5D=Graduate%20Certificate

https://www.collegesinstitutes.ca/our-members/list-of-degrees/?fwp_search_by_keyword=Information%20Technology&fwp_program_levels=graduate-certificate

and also,

Search for more I.T related PG.Cert course of your choice in the SEARCH BOX of those links above

- As Regards English Test Requirement you see on school websites, ignore it if you are a NIGERIAN

If u are a NIGERIAN, u don't need an English Test to apply for a PG.Cert in Canada, NIGERIA is an English Speaking Country & ur medium of instruction from the University/Polytechnic is English etc

IELTS (English Test) for admission in Canada are meant for countries whose language or official language is not ENGLISH e.g India, China, Philippine , Vietnam etc.

If the school u graduated from is opened (Registrar Office) , U can get an English Test Waiver/Exemption letter from them I.e LETTER OF CONFIRMATION OF PROFICIENCY IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE

Would also recommend this institution. Southern Albert Institution of Technology (SAIT) Calgary, AB. But the fees is high. It is a polytechnic not a college. If you got Ordinary level English, you don’t need IELTS. I don’t know what It is called in your country. You can get an English proficiency. Go in for the May 2021 session. Admissions commence in October.
Admission isn’t tough.
With a good affidavit, you would comment here With a study permit.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by ConradAce1(m): 6:12pm On Sep 05, 2020
Anon123:

My own na...

As you are applying to rare colleges or schools. Pls make sure the DLI is in CIC website o.

This is in the constitution. The DLI has a reference number. But institution plays a roll regardless of your sweet bank statement & outstanding affidavit.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by everyevery: 6:27pm On Sep 05, 2020
ConradAce1 and Lekkiboboe I’m indeed grateful, thanks for your prompt response

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by SKEPTA: 6:53pm On Sep 05, 2020
Austacus:

Pin this comment.

You won't get your visa for PSW.

Chief,with all due respect, this isn’t a nice thing to say at all
Truly,Everyone knows that he would most likely be denied because of lack of progression of studies.But for you to just outrightly clear him like this is a very unfair thing to do.He innocently came here for help and advice but instead of you to help him or ignore him if you’re unable to help, you decided that telling him straightforward that he’d be denied is the best thing to do.
There’s honestly no reason to be rude,If you’re unable to help him just ignore.I’m sure others would gladly help him

At least if you told him the reason why he’d ne denied,It’d be better.

Not fair to just tell someone off like that.We could all do better as regards how we treat each other on here.

I’m sorry if this comes as disrespectful.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Austacus: 7:06pm On Sep 05, 2020
SKEPTA:

Chief,with all due respect, this isn’t a nice thing to say at all
Truly,Everyone knows that he would most likely be denied because of lack of progression of studies.But for you to just outrightly clear him like this is a very unfair thing to do.He innocently came here for help and advice but instead of you to help him or ignore him if you’re unable to help, you decided that telling him straightforward that he’d be denied is the best thing to do.
There’s honestly no reason to be rude,If you’re unable to help him just ignore.I’m sure others would gladly help him

At least if you told him the reason why he’d ne denied,It’d be better.

Not fair to just tell someone off like that.We could all do better as regards how we treat each other on here.

I’m sorry if this comes as disrespectful.

This has absolutely nothing to do with career progression or anything related to his previous course of study.

I don't know how to spice it up to him but I will repeat it 1 million times, HE WILL NOT GET HIS VISA with PSW.

I wanted him to ask me ’why’ not YOU! Hitherto, it's not necessary anymore.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by SKEPTA: 7:09pm On Sep 05, 2020
Austacus:

This has absolutely nothing to do with career progression or anything related to his previous course of study.

I don't know how to spice it up to him but I will repeat it 1 million times, HE WILL NOT GET HIS VISA with PSW.

Alright boss
But at least, you could’ve explained why
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Austacus: 7:12pm On Sep 05, 2020
SKEPTA:

Alright boss
But at least, you could’ve explained why

Do you actually think I will come here and talk from my ass?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Spotlights(m): 7:13pm On Sep 05, 2020
[quote author=Austacus post=93608797]

God has spoken!

Even GOD in heaven doesn't condemn sinners like that.

Even if you're d consular, you should rather be lenient in your words even if you will refuse him.
After all he is a new comer, you have no relationship with him from anywhere.

It is absolute wickedness and evil for you to have judge his innocent question like that.
Be HUMAN.

ARRRRGGGHH

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Austacus: 7:22pm On Sep 05, 2020
[quote author=Spotlights post=93608998][/quote]

It's a pity in this generation, when you tell people the truth and being straightforward, they term you to be rude.

Bro, it cringes me how some of y’all use God's names.

I know ”God is the greatest above all”, he gave us the wisdom to see the foresight and avoid mistake, if you fail to do it and you call Gods name, it's a waste of time and abuse of his name.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by dommakavelli: 7:24pm On Sep 05, 2020
Okay, let's analyze the rules.

1. You are allowed to defer your study not later than the subsequent semester or 6 months after the semester you were supposed to begin. If you get SP approval this year, you have to start school by the spring semester. Then your deferred admission letter is technically useless.

2. I read somewhere on CIC website (regulations) that VO's are advised to proceed with applications if the admission letter expires but not later than the subsequent semester. For instance, if you applied with the fall 2020 admission letter and did not get PPR until the end of September 2020. The VO would not ask you for a new admission letter. They will issue your SP for the winter semester. Meaning you are allowed to defer your study until July 2021, I think.
Meanwhile, if you have a reason not to start until Fall 2021, You can always write a letter of explanation to CIC after getting your SP. For instance, if your program is only offered in fall semesters, I think that is a valid reason to get an exemption.

However, if your admission letter is fall 2020 and you did not get PPR until February 2021, VO will ask you for a new admission letter. So this means your Fall 2021 admission letter is good. I will share the link to this regulation when I have time.

3. If you submit a new admission letter now, I'm not sure how that would affect your SP application because it's a year deferral. Maybe it would only affect your SP issue date; I don't know.
4. You also need to think if CIC would call your school to confirm your admission. So, if you don't tell CIC, would that backfire? I don't know.

These are my personal opinion, but I'm happy to call IRCC for you on Tuesday. We'll do a three-way call, and we can find out the best thing to do without telling IRCC your info.

Goodluck

Ujeinijobog:
Please, can someone help me with an answer? Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 7:34pm On Sep 05, 2020
everyevery:
ConradAce1 and Lekkiboboe I’m indeed grateful, thanks for your prompt response
u r welcome

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by vibrant99(m): 8:27pm On Sep 05, 2020
But lets Face something on this paltform......

Why guys like lies ? False Hope ? False Visa cheesy Permit Me.

Wake up Everybody.

Austacus:

It's a pity in this generation, when you tell people the truth and being straightforward, they term you to be rude.

I know ”God is the greatest above all”, he gave us the wisdom to see the foresight and avoid mistake, if you fail to do it and you call Gods name, it's a waste of time and abuse of his name.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by rojah(m): 9:06pm On Sep 05, 2020
Thank you for the kind words. I will do as you advised.
vibrant99:
Even the University You Studied should have extended a Hand of Scholarship to you, This is a powerful effect in academics.

Just go to google and search schools in areas of CANADA you will love to stay and study....

away from this , You can look at NEW ZEALAND too, am very sure of FULL FINDINGS.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by rojah(m): 9:12pm On Sep 05, 2020
I will look into the information you sent meticulously. Thank you so much.

Lekiboboe:

Visit the link below for

Schools offering PH.D in Civil Engineering Programs in Canada
https://www.universitystudy.ca/search-programs/?k=Civil+engineering&program_level_merged=Doctorate&program_language=ENGLISH

VERY IMPORTANTLY,

Visit the Link below
https://www.nairaland.com/5818588/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/111#90933556

for experience information & tips on:

GETTING A SUPERVISOR AND POSSIBLE, FUNDING: MY EXPERIENCE WITH NORTH AMERICAN SCHOOLS (CANADA & U.S.A.)

HINTS ON SECURING ADMISSIONS IN CANADIAN UNIVERSITIES (PARTICULARLY MASTERS' DEGREE)

TIPS ON GETTING A SUPERVISOR FOR RESEARCH/THESIS BASED M.Sc and Ph.D Part 1 & 2

And also watch the YouTube Videos there for some very Vital Tips , it will help u alot

TITLED:
- WHAT TO INCLUDE IN EMAILS TO PROFESSORS WHEN SEEKING GRAD. SCHOOL ADMISSION, FUNDING IN CANADA & U.S.A

- HOW TO WRITE A COMPELLING "SOP" (STATEMENT OF PURPOSE) FOR GRADUATE SCHOOL

Congratulations in Advance to your M.SC Convocation

Good luck!!!

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by rojah(m): 9:22pm On Sep 05, 2020
I think I still have a lot to do. I will draw out a plan and check those lists. Thank you
Pls can I P.M you?
Akannitommy:
Hi,

Your profile looks great from afar but you need more than the grades or a particular school to get a funded PhD. The questions you want to try address at this stage include thus; Have you any academic publications, patents or research experiences? Are there any gap years between those degrees and what have you been doing in between? What is your research direction and how well defined is that idea? You need all these checked off on your list before you reach out to prospective supervisors? There are very few programs that would take you without a supervisor although I have heard someone on this platform said it is possible but I can only speak from personal and other direct experiences I have had in this regard.

I think you can check those boxes and come back when you have more questions.

Ciao!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by rojah(m): 9:24pm On Sep 05, 2020
Thanks

Anamekele:

University of Alberta, Concordia university,
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by rojah(m): 9:40pm On Sep 05, 2020
Wow! This is really helpful. Every aspect of my application is crucial.
I plan to write GRE by Oct ending so as to increase my chances and to also apply to some schools in the US.
I think my next step is to research for schools and write a good research proposal. I wouldnt mind having your email.
Thanks.
Akannitommy:
Below was my post on related question from March 2020. I tried to share/quote directly but got a message that "topic was locked". Don't know what that means.

PhD is a research work that requires you to be highly independent and curious minded. This can be be displayed in the quality of your research idea or prospective research focus. A 500-words abridged research proposal is a good measure of how you can pass across your ideas in few words. An expanded proposal may be requested in other cases but keeping it simple have always worked for me.

You also need academic preparations in terms of qualifications and grades. A minimum of 2.1 will be good enough to qualify you. Some programs/countries requires you to write standardized exams (GRE/GMAT). This may make up for high 2.2 or low 2.1 grades in places where the exam score are not required. So if you submit (even when they are not required) these could help your case. NB: you stand better chance if your masters is an academic degree (not a professional/terminal degree) - check out status of yours and the difference from experts in your discipline. If you have an MPhil, even better. You may want to do a second masters that is academic (one year) and aim to score high.

Below is the process that has always worked for me to secure PhD admissions in different countries.

1. Choose a focus area and subject you want to research.
2. Write an abridged proposal -- check samples online and in libraries for structure.
3. You may want to develop a more robust proposal as back up in case your program/supervisor requires it
4. Search for programs, schools, or professors who specialize in your interest area. Look at their works and you may even find research ideas from such places. Get the emails and other contact details for any of these that may interest you.
5. My advise is to also look at the admissions requirement and availability of funding in these programs. They are usually open about what comes with the offer, if you get it.
6. One or more research publications in peer-reviewed journals will boost your chances.
7. A good unpublished writing sample - term paper, assignment, project report - may also be adequate.
8. Using the draft proposals to craft a simple (250 - 300 words) inquiry email to prospective supervisors. This is a very important email -- all aspects are crucial -- right to the captioned subject. For instance, Enquiry: Prospective PhD in International Development Studies
9. Send out this email to as many relevant professors as possible. BUT always edit them so you can direct to appeal to the interests of such people.
10. If you receive 3 out 10 replies your inquiries, then you are either lucky or sufficiently good to catch their attention. Reason is they receive 10's of such emails weekly. Don't be discouraged! Some will ignore altogether, some will tell you they are not available or interested, some will request for additional information -- scan transcripts, writing sample, CV etc. If your email and research area meets with someone who is looking to hire a Phd student in that same area, then you are you have crossed a major hurdle. They would usually request a meeting/interview via Skype at this point. If you impress during your interview and they say you can go ahead to apply, your admission and funding are almost guaranteed. You must ensure your focus is always tweaked to match the interests of people you are contacting. There may be other variations to these but this is mostly my personal experience and from friends I know who have also succeeded in their PhD quest.

When you get to this point in your quest, you have my email then you can reach out for more tips. Otherwise, if you have the funds then just put in a good application to many schools and you can get one or two. Mostly, PhDs are not admitted because of your fees but your research potential.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by dicedapples: 9:47pm On Sep 05, 2020
Austacus:

Your statement came off as rude and hurtful, you could have just ignored his question easily. You didn’t have to say that and especially without clearly stating the reason. Other people are still trying to correct you and you are taking offense to that. Your manner of approach was very wrong.

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Ujeinijobog: 10:41pm On Sep 05, 2020
Thank you so much for your response.
But please, in view of your response, I will appreciate if you can help clarify some of my queries as follows:

1. You stated that if I get my SP approved this year, I'll have to start my program by spring and the new LOA will be rendered useless.
I thought I have a period of one year to enter into Canada when my Visa is approved? Does this then mean that even if I get the SP approved this year, the one year rule doesn't stand?
And even if the one year rule stands (or doesn't stand), will it be okay to wait to get the approval before sending in my new letter of admission?

2. Please what does PPR stand for?

3. Considering the regulation that you referred to, will it be okay to state in the LOE that I deferred because of poor internet connection and the fact that my program only run during fall semesters (which is actually the case)?

Lastly, I'll appreciate the three way call you suggested. Can I message you privately please?
I will also appreciate the link you spoke about.

Thank you once again for your time.

dommakavelli:
Okay, let's analyze the rules.

1. You are allowed to defer your study not later than the subsequent semester or 6 months after the semester you were supposed to begin. If you get SP approval this year, you have to start school by the spring semester. Then your deferred admission letter is technically useless.

2. I read somewhere on CIC website (regulations) that VO's are advised to proceed with applications if the admission letter expires but not later than the subsequent semester. For instance, if you applied with the fall 2020 admission letter and did not get PPR until the end of September 2020. The VO would not ask you for a new admission letter. They will issue your SP for the winter semester. Meaning you are allowed to defer your study until July 2021, I think.
Meanwhile, if you have a reason not to start until Fall 2021, You can always write a letter of explanation to CIC after getting your SP. For instance, if your program is only offered in fall semesters, I think that is a valid reason to get an exemption.

However, if your admission letter is fall 2020 and you did not get PPR until February 2021, VO will ask you for a new admission letter. So this means your Fall 2021 admission letter is good. I will share the link to this regulation when I have time.

3. If you submit a new admission letter now, I'm not sure how that would affect your SP application because it's a year deferral. Maybe it would only affect your SP issue date; I don't know.
4. You also need to think if CIC would call your school to confirm your admission. So, if you don't tell CIC, would that backfire? I don't know.

These are my personal opinion, but I'm happy to call IRCC for you on Tuesday. We'll do a three-way call, and we can find out the best thing to do without telling IRCC your info.

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Fgmp12: 10:43pm On Sep 05, 2020
vibrant99:
My DEAR

Some where up there i also wrote it is an opinion and also based on information and experience .
Everytime you people will be asking of source , is there anywhere that there is a source of VISA approval/Rejections?

You went on to give us a name of JUST one person , NAIJAFOREIGNER? not 100 people not 1000people?

How many people are following this thread?
How many people are replying this comment?

But you only one person who had 2.1 and went to College? Do you know how many people apply to college from Nigeria alone? use this page as a guide , you will be surprised, then follow up with them one after the other and ask them about their application and how it went.

Most of them even backed out and have left NAIRALAND.

I wrote my experience down and you are countering with mere sentiments? do you know how many college applications i am personally aware of? they are not even on this page, even some people who live in Europe who came back to Nigeria Just to apply.... This Naija people dey tire sometimes.

My brother if 100 people Applied to College in Canada with 1st Class or 2.1 or 2.2, Tell anybody anywhere that i said it, Less than 10 People will get Approval, Come up with your content and i will waiting.

STOP making people throw their Monies away for nothing. If you want Send your application to the best Pastor to pray on it, if na College oo, Your application change is through the eye of the needle.

Mind you , If you are applying for COLLEGE, be aware!

Hey, I trust you’re doing well and staying safe.

I have absolutely no idea why you have such negative reviews on colleges in Canada.
None of us are qualified to rate colleges on strong vs not strong in the eyes of IRCC. All we can do is to encourage and give suggestions based on what we hear/ have heard or our own experiences. However, at the end of the day, I believe the only people qualified to give college advice are the certified agents by IRCC.
I come in peace bro.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) ... (723)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / USA Visit Visa Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.