Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? (1284 Views)

Man Dumps Girlfriend Who Bleached Her Skin For Him & Gave Him Her School Fees / "I Can't Settle For Less. If You Don't Have Money Back Off" - Nigerian Woman / Scammed By A Lady. Any Chance Of Getting My Money Back? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Biafra1stson: 10:56am On Apr 28, 2020
A friend kept asking me this question. I learnt in some customs in Nigeria if you haven't slept with the girl you'll be refunded.
So with that custom can it be held on customary law to get a refund if you haven't slept with the girl.

Now let me share this story is about my friend whose name is Promise.
He met this girl as a virgin in secondary school so he made it very plain that he wants to marry her. Her parent were aware.
He couldnt have sex with her as a responsible man he decided to wait till she is fully grown in the course of waiting he put her in school. And not just telling her parents he wants to marry her, he told her and she fully agreed
He owns a betting shop and he is a graduate not a local man you'll say is not her type. It was later on by mistake he saw on the girl's sister's status that her sister he wants to marry is getting married. In shock he called the sister I dont understand my fiance is getting married and the sister blocked him, when he tried to call his fiance she blocked him as well.
When he went to the said family they told him luculently that she is getting married to another person of her choice that he'll get a full refund based on custom as he didnt sleep with her. The full refund will come from the man who is supposed to marry her because he didn't for one day sleep with this girl but trained her from secondary school to university not one day she asked help from her family.

Now she has gotten married he hasn't gotten anything. Since I discussed this with one of my friends he kept asking me if is not possible to get back your money. Note Mr Promise has gone in good faith.

But one of my friends kept asking me that so is not possible for a refund even in this kind of situation. So I said let me ask the house.
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Oluromantic: 10:57am On Apr 28, 2020
I guess the question doesn't concern me cus I've never been in such a condition before and can't ever be. Let the women wrapper who are mumu enough to spend for women to such an extent without seeing her pants come and reply what concerns them. Thank you

4 Likes

Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Biafra1stson: 10:57am On Apr 28, 2020
G
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Abboki: 10:57am On Apr 28, 2020
Yes
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Enoch07: 10:58am On Apr 28, 2020
na u know the kind of yeye relationship u get with a girl to pay her school fees and u neva sleep wit her.

3 Likes

Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Kylekent59: 10:58am On Apr 28, 2020
shocked

Never, don't ask me why.
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Ningen(m): 10:59am On Apr 28, 2020
You can get a receipt for your stupidity though.

5 Likes

Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Kaykay999(m): 11:00am On Apr 28, 2020
Biafra1stson:
A friend kept asking me this question. I learnt in some customs in Nigeria if you haven't slept with the girl you'll be refunded.
So with that custom can it be held on customary law to get a refund if you haven't slept with the girl.

Chaiii you no get Shame ?? Guy
Delete this thread
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by joceey(m): 11:02am On Apr 28, 2020
Yes you can get your money back if she promised to marry you and later said she doesnt want to any more.You can sue her for breach of trust and ask for your money to be refunded has long as you got proof and evidence of payment.

2 Likes

Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Biafra1stson: 11:10am On Apr 28, 2020
joceey:
Yes you can get your money back if she promised to marry you and later said she doesnt want to any more.You can sue her for breach of trust and ask for your money to be refunded has long as you got proof and evidence of payment.

She promised to marry my friend promise
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Kingrexyl(m): 11:12am On Apr 28, 2020
I don't know why some guys are still stupid these days, how can you pay school fees of someone that is not your wife or relative

7 Likes

Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Biafra1stson: 11:15am On Apr 28, 2020
Kingrexyl:
I don't know why some guys are still stupid these days, how can you pay school fees of someone that is not your wife or relative

My oga u haven't loved a girl some feminist will still come and support her and say she should marry her choice.
If you love a girl really you'll feel all her pain me typing I've actually paid a girls school fees and her house rent at once. But we later broke up. It was just one year and we had sex it is different from this person promise.

If you love a girl if her brother is sick in the hospital it will look as if is your own brother that's sick.

3 Likes

Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Biafra1stson: 11:20am On Apr 28, 2020
Kaykay999:

Chaiii you no get Shame ?? Guy
Delete this thread

Pls check the thread has been updated
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Kingrexyl(m): 11:24am On Apr 28, 2020
Biafra1stson:

My oga u haven't loved a girl some feminist will still come and support her and say she should marry her choice.
If you love a girl really you'll feel all her pain me typing I've actually paid a girls school fees and her house rent at once. But we later broke up. It was just one year and we had sex it is different from this person promise.

If you love a girl if her brother is sick in the hospital it will look as if is your own brother that's sick.
That isn't love but stupidity.

1 Like

Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Lightangel65: 11:28am On Apr 28, 2020
Make her pay with her body , you were used bro. Pay boys to hang rape her as payment

1 Like

Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by GeneralPula: 11:51am On Apr 28, 2020
sad
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Biafra1stson: 12:00pm On Apr 28, 2020
Lightangel65:
Make her pay with her body , you were used bro. Pay boys to hang rape her as payment
That is illegal you know?
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Apr 28, 2020
Its not only a refund you'll get, you'll also get a brain resetting slap. My opinion on this matter is that men who venture into such should receive sense and stop wasting their hard earned money on girls until they have done the needful on her.(marriage).
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by FatherBona: 12:02pm On Apr 28, 2020
Oluromantic:
I guess the question doesn't concern me cus I've never been in such a condition before and can't ever be. Let the women wrapper who are mumu enough to spend for women to such an extent without seeing her pants come and reply what concerns them. Thank you

One bottle of cold beer for you as reward for this brilliant comment.
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by FatherBona: 12:05pm On Apr 28, 2020
Biafra1stson:

She promised to marry promise but failed to keep her promise grin

Like if you believe promise has fallen mugu to the oldest scam of all time
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by joceey(m): 12:39pm On Apr 28, 2020
Biafra1stson:

First, what is a “promise to marry”? A “promise” is defined as the manifestation of an intention to act or refrain from acting in a specified manner conveyed in such a way that another is justified in understanding that a commitment has been made; a person’s assurance that a person will or will not do something. A promise to marry is thus defined as a “betrothal”, an “engagement to be married” also termed “agreement to marry”. The promise to marry a contract comes into existence by the mutual exchange of promises by the parties to marry each other. A mere convivial or romantic relationship is not enough for a court to found an agreement to marry.

In the same vein as commercial contracts, a promise to marry can be oral, written, or otherwise. As an oral contract, the proof is determined by the same common law rules by which oral commercial contracts are judged. As a written contract, the evidence of a personal letter indicating an agreement to marry is enough to establish proof. Promise to marry can be inferred from the action or conduct of the party making the promise. Any action or conduct which directly suggests promise would constitute evidence and therefore proof of promise to marry. (Dr Steve Ogan, 2008). In Aiyede vs Norman –William (1960) LLR 253, it was held that the promise to marry need not take the oral or written exchange of mutual promise.

A germane criteria for a promise to marry to be legally binding apart from parties possessing the requisite legal capacity is that it must have consideration for it to be legally valid and enforceable. The evidence of consideration is the basis for establishing the existence of a contract. In a promise to marry case, the reciprocal promise of a woman to marry a man who promised to marry her is usually regarded as consideration. Other instances of consideration could include where for example a woman travels to another city/state/country to meet a man who promised to marry her! Does it include where a woman gets pregnant for her man in furtherance to the promise to marry? This is mootable!

To constitute a breach of promise to marry, two elements are essential: First it must be proved to the satisfaction of the court that there was a promise to marry under the relevant law. Second, it must be shown that one party to the agreement, whether the man or the woman, has failed or refused to honour the obligation. When the above are established, the injured party may sue the other for breach of the contract and claim damages thereof, although no damages may be recovered unless his or her testimony is corroborated by some other material evidence in support of such promise in line with section 197 of the Evidence Act 2004. What constitutes material evidence is a question of law for the court to determine

The breach of promise to marry could either be in the form of non-performance or anticipatory breach. There may be non-performance where the time for performance is fixed, for example where parties agree on a particular date, the failure or refusal of one of the parties to turn up for the marriage constitutes a breach. Where no date is fixed, the law implies that the promise is one to marry within a reasonable time or at the request of one party. Where however, the promise is subject to a condition precedent, for example consent of parents, there can be no breach until the condition is satisfied or fulfilled. In Aiyede’s case (supra), the plaintiff’s case was dismissed as there was a condition precedent to the fulfilment of the defendant’s promise to marry, which in this case was obtaining the consent of the plaintiff’s father.

The breach of promise to marry takes the form of an anticipatory breach where there is outright repudiation of obligation by a party, or by such conduct on his part that’s puts it out of his power to perform his obligation. An anticipatory breach may occur where before the contractual date for performance, a party to the contract announces his intention not to perform, which announcement the other party could treat as wrongful termination of the agreement and head to court. Anticipatory breach can also occur where one party to an agreement by his own act puts it out of his power to perform his obligation. Such is the case where a party to the contract to marry elopes and marries someone else .The case of Uso v Iketubosin [1975] WRNLR 187 depict this form. In that case, the defendant promised to marry the plaintiff in 1947. In 1957, the defendant married another woman in breach of his promise to the plaintiff. The Court held that the defendant’s act constituted a breach for which the plaintiff was entitled to damages.
What are the damages for breach of promise to marry? The quantum of damages is generally subject to the rules of remoteness i.e the damages should be that which flow directly from the breach or which are within the contemplation of the parties at the time of the promise. In this light, damages awarded by courts fall under the following categories: general damages e.g. compensation for the loss of consortium of the other party; injured feelings, wounded pride, etc ; special damages affecting property e.g for money spent or financial loss sustained by the plaintiff as a direct result of the defendant’s breach of the promise to marry; recovery of the engagement ring and presents. An interesting thing to note is that damages could also be claimed against a third party who induced the breach. Whatever be the damage claimed, one thing the court would not do is to grant an order of specific performance as no court would force any one to marry another.
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Rickjordan(m): 1:36pm On Apr 28, 2020
cheesy cheesy cheesy those old men nodey ever learn
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Biafra1stson: 1:36pm On Apr 28, 2020
joceey:

First, what is a “promise to marry”? A “promise” is defined as the manifestation of an intention to act or refrain from acting in a specified manner conveyed in such a way that another is justified in understanding that a commitment has been made; a person’s assurance that a person will or will not do something. A promise to marry is thus defined as a “betrothal”, an “engagement to be married” also termed “agreement to marry”. The promise to marry a contract comes into existence by the mutual exchange of promises by the parties to marry each other. A mere convivial or romantic relationship is not enough for a court to found an agreement to marry.

In the same vein as commercial contracts, a promise to marry can be oral, written, or otherwise. As an oral contract, the proof is determined by the same common law rules by which oral commercial contracts are judged. As a written contract, the evidence of a personal letter indicating an agreement to marry is enough to establish proof. Promise to marry can be inferred from the action or conduct of the party making the promise. Any action or conduct which directly suggests promise would constitute evidence and therefore proof of promise to marry. (Dr Steve Ogan, 2008). In Aiyede vs Norman –William (1960) LLR 253, it was held that the promise to marry need not take the oral or written exchange of mutual promise.

A germane criteria for a promise to marry to be legally binding apart from parties possessing the requisite legal capacity is that it must have consideration for it to be legally valid and enforceable. The evidence of consideration is the basis for establishing the existence of a contract. In a promise to marry case, the reciprocal promise of a woman to marry a man who promised to marry her is usually regarded as consideration. Other instances of consideration could include where for example a woman travels to another city/state/country to meet a man who promised to marry her! Does it include where a woman gets pregnant for her man in furtherance to the promise to marry? This is mootable!

To constitute a breach of promise to marry, two elements are essential: First it must be proved to the satisfaction of the court that there was a promise to marry under the relevant law. Second, it must be shown that one party to the agreement, whether the man or the woman, has failed or refused to honour the obligation. When the above are established, the injured party may sue the other for breach of the contract and claim damages thereof, although no damages may be recovered unless his or her testimony is corroborated by some other material evidence in support of such promise in line with section 197 of the Evidence Act 2004. What constitutes material evidence is a question of law for the court to determine

The breach of promise to marry could either be in the form of non-performance or anticipatory breach. There may be non-performance where the time for performance is fixed, for example where parties agree on a particular date, the failure or refusal of one of the parties to turn up for the marriage constitutes a breach. Where no date is fixed, the law implies that the promise is one to marry within a reasonable time or at the request of one party. Where however, the promise is subject to a condition precedent, for example consent of parents, there can be no breach until the condition is satisfied or fulfilled. In Aiyede’s case (supra), the plaintiff’s case was dismissed as there was a condition precedent to the fulfilment of the defendant’s promise to marry, which in this case was obtaining the consent of the plaintiff’s father.

The breach of promise to marry takes the form of an anticipatory breach where there is outright repudiation of obligation by a party, or by such conduct on his part that’s puts it out of his power to perform his obligation. An anticipatory breach may occur where before the contractual date for performance, a party to the contract announces his intention not to perform, which announcement the other party could treat as wrongful termination of the agreement and head to court. Anticipatory breach can also occur where one party to an agreement by his own act puts it out of his power to perform his obligation. Such is the case where a party to the contract to marry elopes and marries someone else .The case of Uso v Iketubosin [1975] WRNLR 187 depict this form. In that case, the defendant promised to marry the plaintiff in 1947. In 1957, the defendant married another woman in breach of his promise to the plaintiff. The Court held that the defendant’s act constituted a breach for which the plaintiff was entitled to damages.
What are the damages for breach of promise to marry? The quantum of damages is generally subject to the rules of remoteness i.e the damages should be that which flow directly from the breach or which are within the contemplation of the parties at the time of the promise. In this light, damages awarded by courts fall under the following categories: general damages e.g. compensation for the loss of consortium of the other party; injured feelings, wounded pride, etc ; special damages affecting property e.g for money spent or financial loss sustained by the plaintiff as a direct result of the defendant’s breach of the promise to marry; recovery of the engagement ring and presents. An interesting thing to note is that damages could also be claimed against a third party who induced the breach. Whatever be the damage claimed, one thing the court would not do is to grant an order of specific performance as no court would force any one to marry another.

Thank u very much Mr lawyer. Let's hire u
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Martinez39s(m): 1:51pm On Apr 28, 2020
grin grin

A guy opened a thread yesterday asking which is better: training a girl in school with the hope of marrying her, or training a dog you plan to eventually sell. grin

Too bad the mods closed down the thread for no good reason. I beseech Seun Osewa to overhaul his biased mod team. Anyway, it is better to train a dog you plan to eventually sell than train a girl in school with the promise of marrying her. When will men ever learn?

1 Like

Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by benedima1990(m): 2:32pm On Apr 28, 2020
joceey:

fear lawyers with everything you have ..... This is pure nonsense and it won't stand a bit in the law court once the lady deny any promise of marriage and the family also deny knowing the guy . even with evidence of payment, if the lady tell the court that , he decided he wanna be of help because I've been a good student from secondary and no marriage plan whatsoever, the court will just close the case

lawyers will make u feel like there are higher chances whereas, u don't have 0.2 % of winning

if he claims he can win your case , let him
represent u free and wen he wins the case, proceeds will be shared 50_ 50.
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Martinez39s(m): 3:40pm On Apr 28, 2020
benedima1990:
fear lawyers with everything you have ..... This is pure nonsense and it won't stand a bit in the law court once the lady deny any promise of marriage and the family also deny knowing the guy . even with evidence of payment, if the lady tell the court that , he decided he wanna be of help because I've been a good student from secondary and no marriage plan whatsoever, the court will just close the case

lawyers will make u feel like there are higher chances whereas, u don't have 0.2 % of winning

if he claims he can win your case , let him
represent u free and wen he wins the case, proceeds will be shared 50_ 50.
grin grin
Are you minding that lawyer and the gullible op? Except the girl and her family don't deny anything, the OP's friend has 0.000% chance of getting the money in court. Even someone with an average IQ should know this without creating a thread to ask. grin

Lawyers be dishing high hopes since time immemorial to swell their pockets from cases. grin

1 Like

Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Lightangel65: 7:43pm On Apr 29, 2020
Biafra1stson:

That is illegal you know?
Opps
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by DaudaTheSexyGuy(m): 7:47pm On Apr 29, 2020
No you cannot because it was a gift
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Skmoda360(m): 7:57pm On Apr 29, 2020
Biafra1stson:

Now let me share this story is about my friend whose name is Promise.
He met this girl as a virgin in secondary school so he made it very plain that he wants to marry her. Her parent were aware.
He couldnt have sex with her as a responsible man he decided to wait till she is fully grown in the course of waiting he put her in school. And not just telling her parents he wants to marry her, he told her and she fully agreed
He owns a betting shop and he is a graduate not a local man you'll say is not her type. It was later on by mistake he saw on the girl's sister's status that her sister he wants to marry is getting married. In shock he called the sister I dont understand my fiance is getting married and the sister blocked him, when he tried to call his fiance she blocked him as well.
When he went to the said family they told him luculently that she is getting married to another person of her choice that he'll get a full refund based on custom as he didnt sleep with her. The full refund will come from the man who is supposed to marry her because he didn't for one day sleep with this girl but trained her from secondary school to university not one day she asked help from her family.

Now she has gotten married he hasn't gotten anything. Since I discussed this with one of my friends he kept asking me if is not possible to get back your money. Note Mr Promise has gone in good faith.

But one of my friends kept asking me that so is not possible for a refund even in this kind of situation. So I said let me ask the house.
When I'm not mad? I go don cutlass the pvssy well well with phallus....wetin concern responsible man with women...em no send you oooo if you dull you dull am be that.....the guy try ooo I comot cap for am. undecided

Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Apr 29, 2020
the nacking u have with her is her way of paying u back cheesy cheesy
Re: If You Paid A Girl's School Fees Can You Get Your Money Back? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 29, 2020
joceey:
but the school fees receipt will be written in her name so how will u get the proof that u payed for her fees cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Big Bumbum On Display! Big Butt Instagram Queen Vera Sidika Strips For Instagram / / How I Slept With Girls Using Wizkid Name .true Story!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.