Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers (79407 Views)

Fuel Subsidy Removal: Lapo MFB Increases Staff Salaries / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Aystarz: 9:35am On May 01, 2020
candyboy:
Dear God, please come and rescue us in Nigeria. I have a wonderful friend working at Access Bank. God pls don't let him be affected by this retrenchment going on there, in Jesus mighty name I pray. Amen

A brother-in-law of mine was retrenched two years ago; today, he still hasn't recovered. The times are hard.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by OriOko88(m): 9:37am On May 01, 2020
Access bank is a very rich bank. Don't understand why retrenching at this stage. We've only spent a month in lockdown so why rushing to disengage people at this time.
This where the govt should come in if it has been responsible. The govt could also follow the Britain method of furloug, in which the govt will cover for wages or salaries of sacked or retrenched workers in the private sector until things turn to normal. That's why the whites are miles away from Africa.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by lakesider(m): 9:38am On May 01, 2020
See hungry people pouring pity on people with unemployment benefits
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Reference(m): 9:41am On May 01, 2020
drealzum:

The silly thing is Access bank was donating billions to COVID-19. Why engage in that when you have paucity of funds?

That was a humanitarian gesture (although some will rightly insinuate it is na.ked PR) but it is also wrong to accuse them of helping out despite their difficulties. It is called sacrifice and everyone at every level does it.

People give not because they have excess but they give inspite of the fact they are in need too. In the past days and weeks people have given their neighbours food to survive and had to tighten their belts too. That is normal.

Russia sent medical materials to the US weeks ago but today they are facing shortages. Turkey likewise is sending stuff out that they lack. The United States has promised us ventilators despite the fact they are the present epicenter and have not reached their peak.

Remember also that Accessbank like others is owned by shareholders who may have a philantrophic outlook and giving to the public, their customers despite their own difficulties is in fact a noble ideal.

4 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by juman(m): 9:43am On May 01, 2020
Sacking them temporarily.
Probably.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by geletor: 9:43am On May 01, 2020
jasmine1600:
Nigerians don’t even know the present harsh economic situation they are in.
Expect other institutions to follow suite.
We presently have a government tht have ran out of propaganda, tht don’t even kn how to face the problem squarely.

Bumbling EDIOT! ... what has the government got to do with these?? Is it only a Nigerian thing or haven't you heard of job loss in other countries more advanced than Nigeria?
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by omekannaya22: 9:44am On May 01, 2020
DonMustafa:
It is better to cut staff salaries than to sack them. Even if the staffs will hunt for other jobs, at least something still comes in monthly to pay bills. Complete sack is terrible.

Those of you begging bankers money, you see it is not easy anywhere in Nigeria. That is why I recommend online dating for people who need financial assistance. White people have good hearts. They have pity. They will help you if they have. You never know until you try. If it is only $500 the person sends, this is N200,000. Imagine what N200,000 will do in your life now.

This is what I did last year December when I was broke. I got a white lady through online dating and begged her. She help me and I opened a betting shop that is feeding me up to today. If I did not do online dating in December, by this lockdown, I would being eating sand. Don't just eat all the money you get. Start something small.

For those people sending PM and asking me which dating site I used, it is Bit Mistress. See the link in the pic below
THIS GUY IS A SCAMMER AND CRIMINAL.,DONT FALL TO HIS ANTICS.YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR MONEY TRYING TO REGISTER FOR THE SITE

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by OriOko88(m): 9:44am On May 01, 2020
quentin06:

Bingo! You be said it. BTW help me tell access to release corpers allowed na, other banks have released.

What's the point of calling it access if you can't access your own money?
Lol. Your money is being used to forex trade. You will get it when they've made their profit.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by OriOko88(m): 9:45am On May 01, 2020
quentin06:

Bingo! You be said it. BTW help me tell access to release corpers allowed na, other banks have released.

What's the point of calling it access if you can't access your own money?
Lol. Your money is being used for forex trade. You will get it when they've made their profit.
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by philip0906(m): 9:50am On May 01, 2020
livebyday:
Well access bank staff, you have my condolences

Truth be told you can't blame the bank,and alot more companies are going to cut jobs

Why? Because during this lock down companies where forced to run processes remotely and then analusize all processes up to a miniscule level

Hence they have realized alot of roles in their companies are redundant and unneeded

So expect more Job cuts and no new recruitments
There will still be tons of recruitments in essential and key roles e.g tech, product etc
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Nobody: 9:51am On May 01, 2020
majamajic:
I was talking with one salary earner , he said he wish the lockdown never ends , he was full of confident

I laughed him ,
Abi na you dey tell your friend this and he laughed at you
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by OriOko88(m): 9:55am On May 01, 2020
Bobo2:
The access bank have started sacking staff since yesterday. I saw the list of some of the outsourcing staff sack...Nigeria is in mess
Can you share the link pls
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by sosospence(m): 9:56am On May 01, 2020
vikkimimi:
No job security anymore
The banking industry will be worse
No,the oil and gas industry.

2 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Asour: 9:56am On May 01, 2020
teepain:

The donation is not PR.
As a matter of fact, donations made towards covid-19 by corporate bodies and individuals are tax deductible, meaning that when it comes to paying their corporate taxes these donors can (and trust me, they will) deduct the donations made from the tax payable. Hence, most of these donations are actually prepaid taxes in the real sense of it and not "donations".

Simply put, if I advance you #200 and later it is proven that I'm owing you #1000, I will only give you #800. Therefore my #200 is not a gift but a prepayment.

Hello sir.
Being tax deductible doesn't take away from being a PR act.

Every good thing you do that you bring to public light Voluntarily is PR .

PR is not bad. Always. But it is PR.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Prophet777: 9:58am On May 01, 2020
Useless bank, after dashing FG N1Billion just for publicity purposes right? Donating N1B at the expense of that cleaner who earns 15k per month with three children that will now drop out of school? Yet, the N1B donated has gone with the winds, cannot be accounted for.

You better put on your thinking cap. Laying off staffs at the moment remains a very bad decision, wicked act, bad reputation & image for any serious, self respected & a bank claiming to worth it salt.

Cutting down salaries including that of the MD whopping dollar's monthly income is far better than laying them off. This is a sacrifice that all must make. That is exactly the model employed across the world.

What is now the essence of dashing a billion naira?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by bigman001(m): 9:58am On May 01, 2020
lalasticlala:

Source: https://www.thetrentonline.com/covid-19-distress-access-bank-to-lay-off-75-of-staff-says-md-herbert-wigwe/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-30/nigeria-s-access-bank-to-cut-staff-salaries-to-avoid-job-losses?utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=africa&utm_source=twitter&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-africa&utm_medium=social&__twitter_impression=true

Useless Bank , always stealing from my account, and wont even resolve the issue. still have a pending issue with this useless bank since last year December and they are yet to resolve it

3 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by jaxxy(m): 10:01am On May 01, 2020
majamajic:
I was talking with one salary earner , he said he wish the lockdown never ends , he was full of confident

I laughed him ,

He thinks his company plucks money to pay his salary from trees or the air.

3 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by tasceige(m): 10:02am On May 01, 2020
Horlamidei:

I tell you! In my company, we don't know what we are going to face come monday because we all know they want to retrench..! My hopes are on GOD

God help us

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by ledaman: 10:03am On May 01, 2020
Stupid Man, why can't the management of the bank use the 1 billion show off given to FG as severance packages or better still pay there wages and salaries of those to be affected? Typical black man thinking! lipsrsealed
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Nobody: 10:05am On May 01, 2020
Bleep undecided
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by poweredcom(m): 10:05am On May 01, 2020
E don red oooo omo na wahala ooo
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Advancedman(m): 10:08am On May 01, 2020
Banks are making money despite lockdown.
What nonessential is he talking about?
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by teepain: 10:11am On May 01, 2020
Asour:

Hello sir.
Being tax deductible doesn't make it not to be a PR act.

Every good thing you do that you bring to public light Voluntarily is PR .

PR is not bad. Always. But it is PR.

I agree that it is PR to the extent of bringing it to the public; I only wanted to bring to the fore that those donations are not free as they came at a price!

2 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by idtwo: 10:11am On May 01, 2020
This sack action by Access bank is honestly ill-advised and evil. Agreed, these are mainly out-sourced staff but they are human beings like other staff of the bank. Instead of the bank's 1billion naira donation to the FG for corona intervention, it should have kept that money, retain all the contract staff & place them on half salary or 60% salary till the situation returns back to normal. With that, it would have done a lot to reduce the various problems unemployment breeds. Every worker in Nigeria has a minimum of four dependants, on the average.
The CEO says he will take a cut of 40% in his salary, forgetting that even 5% of his salary will probably pay 10 or more of those contract staff. There is no human-face to most employers of labor in this country. Business especially at that level should not just be about profit, think of the lives and well-being of your employees too. Do all you can to get some people off the street, not push them into poverty at any slight excuse.
This action has rubbished the 1billion naira they gave the country.

5 Likes

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by bravehost4u(m): 10:12am On May 01, 2020
Doctrine according to the tenets of Philips curve
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by mvem(m): 10:12am On May 01, 2020
cbngov01:
After donating 2bn to the govt to fight COVID-19, you turn around and layoff your staff and likewise reduce salaries of the staff retained. Is it lack of foresight or is this a joke!
Millions are losing their jobs worldwide. The lockdown will make many companies to lay off workers...prepare for difficult times, its a global economic melt down
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Nobody: 10:13am On May 01, 2020
So the billions of naira they donated to fg as palliative really affects their costs?
Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by mvem(m): 10:13am On May 01, 2020
Advancedman:
Banks are making money despite lockdown.
What nonessential is he talking about?
Millions are losing their jobs worldwide. The lockdown will make many companies to lay off workers and banks are inclusive...prepare for difficult times, its a global economic melt down

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by Cashewman: 10:13am On May 01, 2020
lender, according to people with direct knowledge of the matter.
The reductions are expected to start from May unless business conditions improve, said the people, who were briefed on the matter during a conference call and asked not to be identified because they’re not authorized to speak publicly. Some management will get as much as a 40% decrease, they said.
A spokesman for Lagos-based Access Bank declined to comment.
Nigerian banks are facing the threat of rising bad-debt levels as a crash in oil prices and the risk of a naira devaluation coincide with the Covid-19 pandemic that has shuttered businesses.
Access Bank, which acquired rival Diamond Bank Plc last year, had 6,898 permanent staff at the end of 2019, according to a presentation on its website. The acquisition partly contributed to a 31% increase in operating expenses. Personnel, recruitment and training costs account for more than a third of overheads after the deal boosted employee numbers and resulted in “wage harmonization” across the businesses.
Source: https://ww

1 Like

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by livebyday(m): 10:13am On May 01, 2020
philip0906:

There will still be tons of recruitments in essential and key roles e.g tech, product etc

Smh

No there won't

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers by SirNuell1(m): 10:13am On May 01, 2020
DonMustafa:
It is better to cut staff salaries than to sack them. Even if the staffs will hunt for other jobs, at least something still comes in monthly to pay bills. Complete sack is terrible.

Those of you begging bankers money, you see it is not easy anywhere in Nigeria. That is why I recommend online dating for people who need financial assistance. White people have good hearts. They have pity. They will help you if they have. You never know until you try. If it is only $500 the person sends, this is N200,000. Imagine what N200,000 will do in your life now.

This is what I did last year December when I was broke. I got a white lady through online dating and begged her. She help me and I opened a betting shop that is feeding me up to today. If I did not do online dating in December, by this lockdown, I would being eating sand. Don't just eat all the money you get. Start something small.

For those people sending PM and asking me which dating site I used, it is Bit Mistress. See the link in the pic below

SCAM ALERT

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Debby Johnson: Nigerian Lady In The US Army (Pics) / Female Soldier 'Who Is Too Pretty' For The Work She Does Speaks (Video) / Lady Loses A Job Because She Celebrated On Facebook (Lesson To All)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.