Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,198 members, 7,822,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? (13219 Views)

My Vegetable Garden Is Under Attack: Help / Vegetable Garden - Fertilizer 101 / How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by CodeTemplar: 8:15pm On May 19, 2020
bong4:
Nice one! They can all survive in containers. I did same beginning of the year. I haven't bought ugu, water outside since.

What the plants really need are constant water supply.

You can get jerry cans (20 litres or so). Cut them through vertically close to the top.

You can get soil from anyone into gardening and fill the jerry cans up.

Though I have little ground which I planted okro and green (efo) but majority of my vegetables are planted in the jerry cans.

I am based in Ile Ife and would be available to assist if you are based same place.
vertically or horizontally? Vertical cut will involve cutting it from the top to bottom but horizontal cut goes sideways (left to right or right to left).

1 Like

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by abolaji62(m): 11:36am On May 21, 2020
Abro perishable and vegetable fruit seller of Nigeria
Can help you sells all your crop you have in farm like
Tomato marrow cucumber green pepper sweet corn water melon
Green chille rodo okro and etc ..our own is just to remove 10% in any price we sell it, for more info you can cantact us on :shop10 mile12 international market lagos or call 09033053043 or join our whatsapp group: https:///KBcyu9I1fXiBznKaBpLPZt ....thanks
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by wisdomline: 12:25pm On May 21, 2020
HeyHey:
Good day house,
I want to start a home vegetable garden, in pots/containers (custard buckets) because my compound doesnt have space and is cemented. I dont know which vegetables will survive in pots.

Please kindly suggest vegetables I can plant (,and how i can plant them and any extra effort I need to help them grow eg fertilizers or manure/compost)

My location is Osun state (so you can factor in the weather/environment).

Thank you.

PS: I am interested in Tomato, Pepper, Mint leave (Efirin), Okro, Ugu, Lemon-grass

Hello,

You could plant Ugu and, indeed, any vegetables in buckets and sacks and they will do well (particularly for subsistence purposes)
Personally, I like being organic, so I will advise you go for manure and good loamy soil.

In the case of using plastic containers such as plastics, ensure they are aerated - this could be done by perforating the containers.

If you are using sacks, perforation may not be necessary, except the sack is laminated, in which case, you then have to perforate.

For the weather, I reside in Ilorin, which is just about 2 hrs to Osogbo (Osun). They have similar weather, but Osun weather is finer and so your vegs should do well.

I hope this piece satisfies your enquiry.

4 Likes

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by HeyHey(f): 4:37pm On May 21, 2020
Thank you
Very helpful

wisdomline:

Hello,

You could plant Ugu and, indeed, any vegetables in buckets and sacks and they will do well (particularly for subsistence purposes)
Personally, I like being organic, so I will advise you go for manure and good loamy soil.

In the case of using plastic containers such as plastics, ensure they are aerated - this could be done by perforating the containers.

If you are using sacks, perforation may not be necessary, except the sack is laminated, in which case, you then have to perforate.

For the weather, I reside in Ilorin, which is just about 2 hrs to Osogbo (Osun). They have similar weather, but Osun weather is finer and so your vegs should do well.

I hope this piece satisfies your enquiry.

1 Like

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Ayz123: 4:47pm On May 24, 2020
This is interesting
I didn't know these ideas
Though I have space for plantain vegetables, I will try the ideas exposed here. Thank you all.

2 Likes

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Ayz123: 4:49pm On May 24, 2020
This is interesting
I didn't know these ideas before now.
Though I have space for plantain vegetables, I will try the ideas exposed here. Thank you all.

2 Likes

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by green20: 5:38pm On May 24, 2020
majorgr:
Yes You can plant onion with seed, water leaves, cucumbers, bell pepper, tomato, aleovera, water melon, letus, carrot, etc. I've done all these before and it was really a blessing eating what i produced myself using buckets and containers due to the fact that there was no planting space around. In fact my neighbors were even benefiting from it better than i did because i traveled a lot. The pictures are just a few, i moved house so i haven't got time to replant
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by bong4(m): 9:59pm On May 24, 2020
CodeTemplar:
vertically or horizontally? Vertical cut will involve cutting it from the top to bottom but horizontal cut goes sideways (left to right or right to left).

Okay, i get you. Keep the jerry cans in normal position ie vertically and cut horizontally close to the top. This will ensure that there is enough space for the roots to deep down.
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Onaswu(f): 11:26pm On May 24, 2020
majorgr:
Yes You can plant onion with seed, water leaves, cucumbers, bell pepper, tomato, aleovera, water melon, letus, carrot, etc. I've done all these before and it was really a blessing eating what i produced myself using buckets and containers due to the fact that there was no planting space around. In fact my neighbors were even benefiting from it better than i did because i traveled a lot. The pictures are just a few, i moved house so i haven't got time to replant

How do u plant oninons

1 Like

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by majorgr: 6:23pm On May 25, 2020
Onaswu:

How do u plant oninons

Contrary to the popular belief that onion does not have seeds, it actually does have seeds. Go to any recognize agric store and buy onion seeds, they are really tiny so you'll broadcast them on to the bucket or earth with some mild toppings with soil. Don't wet everyday especially if the soil is still wet to avoid seeds rottening. Wet intermittently when you notice the drying out of the earth

1 Like

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Onaswu(f): 2:43am On May 26, 2020
majorgr:

Contrary to the popular belief that onion does not have seeds, it actually does have seeds. Go to any recognize agric store and buy onion seeds, they are really tiny so you'll broadcast them on to the bucket or earth with some mild toppings with soil. Don't wet everyday especially if the soil is still wet to avoid seeds rottening. Wet intermittently when you notice the drying out of the earth
Ok thanks
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Hydra786: 4:28pm On May 26, 2020
you can visit my site for [url="https://good-morning-images-flowers-wishes..com/"]beautiful flowers images for good morning wishing[/url]
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Raptureminded(m): 12:29am On May 31, 2020
Are you an intending farmer or even a farmer and you need *E-BOOKS* (to know more on how to rear, manage and to keep farm produce and livestocks) on the following; Poultry, fishery, cattle, grass cutter, goat, sheep, piggery, snail, dog and rabbit farming are available at affordable price.
Also *E-BOOKS* are available for crop farming like maize, apple, pineapple, rice, cowpea, cassava, oil-palm tree, rice, apple, cucumber, cocoa, cocoyam, yam, banana, pepper, garden egg, millet, water melon, etc.

*For more details and any one interested contact me or PM on WhatsApp with the phone number below:*
*Or email me at oguntundeluke@gmail.com*
*PLEASE NOTE THAT THE E-BOOKS ARE NOT FREE BUT AVAILABLE AT AFFORDABLE PRICE.*

Best regards
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Cent50(m): 7:20pm On May 31, 2020
For supply of cassava, garri, palm oil, maize, cucumber, pepper.
If you have a shop in a good location and looking for a steady and reliable supplier to do business with
Or you have a company in need of my products or you are into export 
Call or WhatsApp :
Mr Innocent 08107735129
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by ministeriallist: 7:43pm On May 31, 2020
Gardening is very good.
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Raptureminded(m): 2:27pm On Jun 01, 2020
Nigeria problem is too much dependent on crude oil. But our government have neglected Agriculture which is another source of revenue and very lucrative for individual practice.
You can invest into agriculture be it livestock or crop farming.
All you need is to get yourself intimitated with this lucrative business by getting an E-BOOKS on any agricultural field you want to venture into e.g poultry, rabbit, piggery, fishery, cucumber, tomato, okro etc.
For more info you can contact me via WhatsApp or call on +2348142147545
Or email me @ oguntundeluke@gmail.com.
PLEASE NOTE THE EBOOKS ARE NOT FREE BUY AFFORDABLE.

Best regards
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by pinkbarby: 6:18pm On Jun 01, 2020
HeyHey:
Good day house,
I want to start a home vegetable garden, in pots/containers (custard buckets) because my compound doesnt have space and is cemented. I dont know which vegetables will survive in pots.

Please kindly suggest vegetables I can plant (,and how i can plant them and any extra effort I need to help them grow eg fertilizers or manure/compost)

Thank you.

PS: I am interested in Tomato, Pepper, Mint leave (Efirin), Okro, Ugu, Lemon-grass

Farmland for sale @ N230,000 per acre located at Ballah, after Eiyenkorin, ilorin, Kwara State.
Call 08179347590, 08116891684

Note:
1. We measure farmland in acres
2. One Acre contains 8Plots (Kwara Standard Measurement)
3. The size of one plot is 100ft by 50ft
4. Other Farmers are already farming on it
5. Farms like Pawpaw farm, Cashew Farm, Poultry, fish farm, Rabbit Farm e. t. c
6. Security Officers are available on the farm

Documents:
Survey Layout and The MOU

Neighborhood:
Alhikmat University's Farm
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Pbank: 2:47pm On Jun 02, 2020
ur doin it for for self consumption or wat if for self consumption u can go with ugwu or pepper it will cost u less
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by pinkbarby: 11:45am On Jun 03, 2020
I have at my house but my siblings been messing with it

Also, farmland for sale @ N230,000 per acre located at Ballah, after Eiyenkorin, ilorin, Kwara State.
Call 08179347590, 08116891684

Note:
1. We measure farmland in acres
2. One Acre contains 8Plots (Kwara Standard Measurement)
3. The size of one plot is 100ft by 50ft
4. Other Farmers are already farming on it
5. Farms like Pawpaw farm, Cashew Farm, Poultry, fish farm, Rabbit Farm e. t. c
6. Security Officers are available on the farm

Documents:
Survey Layout and The MOU

Neighborhood:
Alhikmat University's Farm
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by HoliMaree: 5:52pm On Jun 05, 2020
Let me pitch tent here
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by HoliMaree: 5:59pm On Jun 05, 2020
okoroemeka:
Fo a backyard garden I think your best material to use is empty cement bags,it is free in some areas and the texture of the material will let air in and excess water out,those plastic buckets will be costly and the crops roots will be starved of oxygen,this is a pic of a garden egg and pepper sack farm by my small kids this enforced holidays,it proves that almost any crop can be sack farmed,also sacks are adjustable, if you fill soil to 60%space will be left to contain manure application as time goes on and the folded sack will be unfolded for more manure.

Bro, this is what I plan to do, can you upload more pix and procedure
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Boombaby: 1:02pm On Jun 06, 2020
Pls where can I get improved seeds to plant. Pepper, ball pepper, vegetables, okro in Lagos pls. Thanks
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by okoroemeka(m): 8:46pm On Jun 06, 2020
Boombaby:
Pls where can I get improved seeds to plant. Pepper, ball pepper, vegetables, okro in Lagos pls. Thanks
we have improved varieties of different veggies seeds and other inputs just check my WhatsApp no up on the thread for more info.

1 Like

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Nissifoods(f): 3:52pm On Jun 07, 2020
This platform has been helpful. I really have interest in the vegetables and fruits farming. Thank you all for sharing knowledge.
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by charzyh2: 4:19pm On Jun 08, 2020
Spotagood is currently offering the following:

1. Free advertisements for food and agricultural products.

2. Free coupons for registering (coupon can be used to purchase on the site). This will only last for a while...

www.spotagood.com
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by darexkey(m): 7:56am On Jun 13, 2020
HeyHey:
Good day house,

Thank you.

Get trained on top-notch Agribusiness skills;

Plus

Gain access to International networks & opportunities in the Agricultural sector.

Take advantage of our forthcoming online boot camp from top Agribusiness professionals across the world to upscale your agribusiness knowledge with 12 Extensive masterclasses.

Register via darbotechub.com/p/7401 to get started.

1 Like

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by shestrong(f): 7:12pm On Jun 14, 2020
bong4:
Nice one! They can all survive in containers. I did same beginning of the year. I haven't bought ugu, water outside since.

You can get jerry cans (20 litres or so). Cut them through vertically close to the top.

Though I have little ground which I planted okro and green (efo) but majority of my vegetables are planted in the jerry cans.

I am based in Ile Ife and would be available to assist if you are based same place.
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by RuggedSniper: 4:54pm On Jun 16, 2020
adeblow:

You can do it. I'm currently planning towards that with this thing I stumbled upon on YouTube. You can collect plastic bottles, cut them and hang on walls where they can receive sunlight. Watch this video on YouTube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnJBTjeL88
^^This is creative!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by Henryimoter(m): 9:09am On Jun 22, 2020
This is the planting season we can help you to established your orchard ( Orange) farm call 07069670428

Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by tunesboyo(m): 1:01pm On Jun 28, 2020
bong4:

[color=#990000][/color]

If you don't mind I will love to visit your place.. I reside in ile-ife also.
Re: Help!, How Do I Start Home Vegetable Garden? by abolaji62(m): 5:00pm On Jun 28, 2020
Orelope perishable and vegetable fruit seller of Nigeria
Can help you sells all your crop you have in farm like
Tomato marrow cucumber green pepper sweet corn water melon
Green chille rodo okro and etc ..our own is just to remove 10% in any price we sell it, for more info you can cantact us on :shop10 mile12 international market lagos or call 09033053043 or join our whatsapp group: https://https:///IyafupFnOZQAO7HALCWfSS.... thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Blames Benin Republic And Cameroon Of Sabotaging Local Rice Production / Don't Venture Into Agriculture On Impulse. / Cocoa To Generate $1.3b As Revenue In 2014- Nigerian Minister For Agric

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.