Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

"I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" (3054 Views)

I Came Home And Found My Sister Breastfeeding My Son — I Called The Cops / Am I A Failure? Please Rate Me. / Woman Shares Amazing Testimony After Her Baby Survived A Freak Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by Nobody: 12:00am On May 08, 2020
Of all the embarrassing and weird things that come with pregnancy and new motherhood, this one is the hardest to admit. I’ll just say it: Breastfeeding was a turn-on.

Like every expectant mom, I’d heard about the benefits of nursing. Most of them focused on the baby: the antibodies, the infection-fighting properties, the immune system something or other. And I knew there were benefits to mom as well: not just the convenience and the bonding, but some kind of hormonal boost that my prenatal books made sound like a drug-free high. So, I honestly thought that it was sort of normal in those early weeks—once I got past the toe-curling nipple pain—for nursing to be, well, titillating?

Yep, I got sexual gratification from nursing my newborn—and, as she grew, from a baby to a toddler. And then from baby number two as well, who, I must admit, nursed well toward her second birthday. And why not? When the latch and suckling of an otherwise demanding and relentless little person felt like the loveliest tug that travelled from my breasts to my nether regions, what exhausted and overwhelmed new mother would be in a hurry to give it up?

It took me quite a while to realize that others viewed this side effect as something akin to sexual perversion. “No,” my friends would say, bewildered and a little weirded out. “No, it doesn’t feel like that to me.” And then: “How, exactly, would you say it feels to you?”

It was hard to explain, really, except perhaps like there is a gossamer thread connecting my nipples to my uterus, my cervix, my clitoris? Connected to something nice, in any case, so that when I’d sink, exhausted, onto the couch or back into bed with a hungry baby, it didn’t take long for the suckling to release a rush of warm hormones.

To be clear, breastfeeding wasn’t a route to ecstasy, but it was a reliably pleasant experience that brought the same kind of sexual stimulation that a good mental fantasy might. It was a little bit like pre-intimacy, except with spit-up or a diaper change at the end of it all (still the wet spot in the bed but no climax).

Still, it meant that early motherhood was, like pregnancy, a time of heightened desire. Even pumping brought some kind of stimulation, though never so much that it outweighed the sheer tedium and absurdity of being strapped to my Medela.

None of this surprises Viola Polomeno, an associate professor at the University of Ottawa’s School of Nursing who specializes in perinatal sexuality and assures me that “it’s all normal” when it comes to the link between sexuality, pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding. “It’s more common than you think, and it goes with all the hormonal changes that are going on in pregnancy and childbirth, but it is taboo,” says Polomeno. “It’s rarely mentioned by clients, and even healthcare professionals don’t often acknowledge it because it’s so private.”

Photo of a hand holding pacifier pop made of frozen breastmilk10 cool uses for breastmilk that you probably didn’t know aboutPolomeno believes the sexual arousal that some women feel during breastfeeding is caused by a combination of factors, including a boost from the “love hormone” oxytocin and the physical stimulation of a nursing baby. Breasts, after all, are wired for pleasure. Add in the emotional release of relaxing quietly and connecting with your baby—stolen moments in an otherwise relentless day—and it’s a perfect recipe for a physiological reward.

“There’s the physical stimulation that brings a certain contentment, the affection of holding a baby close and the continuum of pleasure in all of it,” explains Polomeno, “and it can continue by degrees to the point that it becomes a sexual experience.”

Though being turned on by breastfeeding doesn’t come up much in mommy groups, rare is the woman who can’t tell a story about her increased sex drive during pregnancy, when the rise of oxytocin can fire up a woman’s desire.

“One woman in five will discover orgasm for the first time during pregnancy,” says Polomeno. She doesn’t know exactly how common it is for nursing mothers to get aroused by nursing their babies, except that she is certain that it happens more than people are willing to acknowledge.

“Women aren’t sharing it or being open about it because they feel some sort of guilt or shame around it,” she says. “It’s so taboo they ask ‘Is it even possible?’”

I’m here to tell you that, yes, it is possible, though I had no idea it was quite as scandalous as some seem to think. Blessed to give birth in the age of the internet, I had looked it up somewhere, at some point, when my babies were so, um, pleasurable and was reassured to find that I wasn’t alone.

While both my daughters provoked the same response and the effect lasted throughout my years of nursing, Polomeno says that there’s really no pattern for who experiences sexual stimulation during breastfeeding, when it’s more likely to occur or how long it lasts. “It varies, so a woman might not experience it right away, in the first few days or weeks, but it might come later, when her body settles,” she says. “Some women might never experience it at all, and some might experience it earlier.”

While I was lucky enough—weird enough?—to feel more satisfied than most moms during my three years with babies attached to my boobs, in the end, weaning came as the same bittersweet relief I suspect many moms feel. Enough with the nursing bras and messy milk. Enough with the grasping toddler every time I sat down for a break. It was good while it lasted, baby, but mama needs to move on.
Source: https://www.todaysparent.com/baby/postpartum-care/dont-want-sex-postpartum/

Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by Yuceeluv(f): 12:12am On May 08, 2020
Hian! Maybe your libido is over the roof top.

2 Likes

Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by googi: 12:42am On May 08, 2020
There is nothing wrong here. Many new mothers expressed the same feelings.

There is raw impulse or id but we are in control because of ego, not to mention superego that override desires.

Otherwise, by Freudian Oedipus reasoning of complex, children would be having sex with their parents.

Nothing do you dear

2 Likes

Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by Osezzua(m): 1:08am On May 08, 2020
following
Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by silibaba: 1:19am On May 08, 2020
hmm

Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by agbolahan1991(m): 4:53am On May 08, 2020
Tell your man to suck u...
That's what u need
Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by crackkhaus: 1:01pm On May 08, 2020
Sassysure, is this true? grin
Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 08, 2020
crackkhaus:
Sassysure, is this true? grin
I never had personal experience tongue

Guys no gree suck. My thing dey with me but I have heard this severally. The areola is a very sensitive spot and it's the same sucking that is done there anyway. If it's a turn on spot for some women, then it's true. Just that women tend to block the sensations away when breastfeeding.
Women no get men kind of body so u will never know.
Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by Saltwater: 3:07pm On May 08, 2020
It does happen to new mum (it happened to me too during the first few days of breastfeeding). I have to remind myself that baby is only trying to feed. The moment you zero your mind on it, it will stop.

7 Likes

Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by crackkhaus: 3:19pm On May 08, 2020
sassysure:

Guys no gree suck. My thing dey with me but I have heard this severally. The areola is a very sensitive spot and it's the same sucking that is done there anyway. If it's a turn on spot for some women, then it's true. Just that women tend to block the sensations away when breastfeeding.
I hear ya grin
Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by Mizwisdom(f): 9:32pm On May 08, 2020
Weird

1 Like

Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by armyofone(m): 11:49pm On May 08, 2020
I doubt it happened with her new born...their latches can be painful. She should wean once her type of feeling comes on.

1 Like

Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by Phenomenal16(f): 1:06pm On May 11, 2020
Emmm is normal with some women
When a baby is breastfeeding .....there is release of oxytocin.....
So this hormone released can stimulate the pelvic muscles to contract slightly.... So that feeling.....
Is OK
Is normal
Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by Twinkleberyl: 2:24pm On May 11, 2020
OP...You are a damn good writer, you paint a vivid picture with words. The way you successfully put thoughts and feelings down in this write up...
Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by Freelane33(m): 4:53pm On May 11, 2020
Boobs freaks grin
Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by Nobody: 3:23am On May 12, 2020
Twinkleberyl:
OP...You are a damn good writer, you paint a vivid picture with words. The way your you successfully put thoughts and feelings down in this write up...
Thanks
But here is the original source which deserve the credit: https://www.todaysparent.com/baby/postpartum-care/dont-want-sex-postpartum/
Re: "I Was Turned On By Breastfeeding, Am I A Freak?" by seunlayi(m): 6:40am On May 12, 2020
sassysure:

It is a fact that is often overlooked that women get turned on during breastfeeding. It is real though many women have a way of subduing the feeling and concentrate on the feeding of the child rather for self satisfaction. In another form, a woman once told us how at the point of birth she started feeling pleasure and refused to apply the required pressure to push out the baby till her mum noticed and gave her a slap during childbirth. Nevertheless, I will still give a big kudos to all women, I mean real mothers for a job well done. Thumbs up for you all, I sincerely love you all

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Appeal For Help / Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? / My Husband Leftt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.