Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) (99445 Views)

Abiola, Oba Oyekan At The Crowning Of Tinubu As Asiwaju Of Lagos (Throwback Pic) / Bukola Saraki With Classmates In Kings College, Lagos (Throwback Photo) / Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by oyewale0001(m): 7:38pm On May 09, 2020
Thank you all for letting me know more through your tribalism.

It fun though.

I will only and continue to call myself a Nigerian. Yoruba precisely.

2 Likes

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Thetruthshallse(m): 7:52pm On May 09, 2020
That binis conquered Lagos island does mean the rest part of Lagos does not belong to the Yorubas. Infact Lagos island belong to the Yorubas, binis only lay claim to it by conquest. But as for modern Lagos, all Nigerians are stakeholders. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Adakintroy2: 8:25pm On May 09, 2020
Powerintoxicate:
you crazy. Lagos can survive without the FG if Nigeria dissolves today. Infact FG stopped allocation s for four years to Lagos and Lagos survived. Question is can Abuja survive without a federal allocation today ??

First things first. Those projeCT mention like sea ports attracts more companies and more companies attract more company and more conpanies. There is not state more in Nigerian with stronger federal presence ije lagos.

When danger fish refinery and people troop you will say it's lagos.

1 Like

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by phoenix911: 8:50pm On May 09, 2020
NGpatriot:

The FG built Lagos state even though Lagos state was already built and was a bustling commercial capital before Nigeria as a country, already industrial via industrial estates built by the Western region like Apapa industrial, Ikeja, Ilupeju, Matori and Mushin industrial estates.

Even when Lagos was the federal capital, it was limited to Lagos Island.

Some of you no dey talk with sense and education sha.

I know you have sense and you attained the highest educational level there is, but the reality is if Lagos was not built with the collective wealth of the federal republic of Nigeria Lagos will be like any other state in Nigeria that is the fact.
If I may ask, In what year did Lagos became the capital of Nigeria and I thought with all the sense and education you had, you would have known that Lagos became the capital in 1914 Please and research what was the federal government put on the ground after then you will argue with facts. You said the federal government was limited to Lagos Island, I hope you answer these questions for me, If it was limited just in the Island what was the airport, Police college, Immigration, doing in Ikeja, the national theater, Apapa port, the national stadium, trade fair, festac, university of Lagos, where are they located, and how many kilometers of roads in Lagos are federal roads. If you don't know, the majority of "famous" bridges, roads, and flyovers were all built by the federal government.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Lakeland4321: 9:24pm On May 09, 2020
swtdrms:
Julius started with standard! Eko bridge is still standing till date.

Even though this bridge was constructed 55years ago, the design doesn't look ancient, that's why i always respect for those who extra mile to achieve spectacular success.

Kudos to Julius Berger!
If you are praising Eko Bridgeike this what about Carter Bridge which was built many more years earlier
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by NGpatriot: 9:38pm On May 09, 2020
Abiboss:

If Nigeria split today... So lagos will go with Biafra bah

They will uproot Lagos and Abuja and load them on top trailer to transport them to onisha when they get their village biafra.

3 Likes

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Abiboss: 9:57pm On May 09, 2020
NGpatriot:

They will uproot Lagos and Abuja and load them on top trailer to transport them to onisha when they get their village biafra.

Lol

1 Like

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by ellizy(m): 10:29pm On May 09, 2020
sarrki:
Every other state or region learn from Lagos

Lagos is the leader

Any political leader in Lagos is the head of modern day leader

Argue with prove from your region or state of origin
You are out of the the Topic, no praise belongs to Lagos but Julius Berger...
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Tajbol4splend(m): 10:41pm On May 09, 2020
Evercurious:

And again pretend to be smart

Do it first, I don't have to be smart, I just want to understand how things are which you don't have
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by piagetskinner(m): 12:45am On May 10, 2020
Can you imagine oo... 55 years ago.. I’m not sure they carry out periodic maintenance on those bridges. Already eko bridge don give way.. it has been abandoned for months now

Nigeria hasn’t progressed much when compared to other African countries that were babies when Nigeria gained her independence .. we were giants then.. now we are just giant rats
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Tycyborg(m): 1:26am On May 10, 2020
Honestly i read all your responses and it doesn't add up. It shows you know nothing about history. First I am not into this stupid tribal bullshit but I will be frank with you. The whites makes Lagos what it is and aside the whites the yorubas did their parts as well. Lagos is the first settlement for the Portuguese before the Briton and the name Lagos was a Portuguese name. Now lagos started growing then other states because of the concentration of the yorubas and again it's their region. Now tell me in Nigeria. Which is bigger and has more civilization like the Oyo empire and the Ile ife? Yoruba has been more civilized right from time even before the white came and Lagos is built by the white and the yorubas and that reminds me Lagos was once the capital. So don't tell me Nigerians built it. There was never a Nigeria before we have zonal leaders which are great Zic, Awolowo and tafawa balewa Mr Man, like I said there is no Nigeria build Lagos. If you don't have a point don't post junk. I hate no one or have tribal issue but I state the truth here.

mrvitalis:

Firstly Lagos can survive because over 70 years investment by all Nigerians ...it's not a Yoruba thing ....in the next 30 years Abuja would survive without federal allocation it's not a northern project

Secondly there was never a time Lagos State allocation was withheld never ...it was local government allocation and it has happened to bayelsa too ...when u create local government without federal approval that's what u get .....

There is internet verify lies they told ...no body they believe Yoruba propaganda again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Tycyborg(m): 1:34am On May 10, 2020
Out know nothing. The Briton bulit most of it and all others are not excuse because other states can build it. In PH we have nice structures and even a Civic centres we can build others too but we are too blind to see that our state government are useless. The trains are done by the britons and those trains were used to move coals and other stuff to the ships on sea and that was how more things started getting huge like infrastructure and so on by the Briton residing because they wanna feel at home while in Lagos. The military era did next to nothing and Awolowo did alot to make Lagos bigger and concentration was part of it so what's your point?

phoenix911:

I know you have sense and you attained the highest educational level there is, but the reality is if Lagos was not built with the collective wealth of the federal republic of Nigeria Lagos will be like any other state in Nigeria that is the fact.
If I may ask, In what year did Lagos became the capital of Nigeria and I thought with all the sense and education you had, you would have known that Lagos became the capital in 1914 Please and research what was the federal government put on the ground after then you will argue with facts. You said the federal government was limited to Lagos Island, I hope you answer these questions for me, If it was limited just in the Island what was the airport, Police college, Immigration, doing in Ikeja, the national theater, Apapa port, the national stadium, trade fair, festac, university of Lagos, where are they located, and how many kilometers of roads in Lagos are federal roads. If you don't know, the majority of "famous" bridges, roads, and flyovers were all built by the federal government.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Tycyborg(m): 1:48am On May 10, 2020
Yes it is normal for small people to cramp into a small thing. Watch the game of thrones about Kings landing, do you know NY has a higher population than some other bigger states in USA. The problem in Nigeria is we all want to claim some stupid tribal stuff in which even the land and everything no one but the government owns it all. The tribe is only in your head and it has no international recognition . Tribalism is one major problem in this country and people are not ready to change.
Kano was built by the hausa, onisha was built by the igbos and Lagos was built by the yorubas simple. Will it kill anyone. Even our stupid forefathers knows next to nothing but started this triabal stuff due to their selfishness and it leads to stupid children

Len234:
What people do not understand is that Nigeria is a country that lacks structure and is bedeviled with tribalism. A serious country will have functioning ports in all states on the Atlantic coast. China has 34 main ports and 2000 minor ports around the country. Calling the achievement of Lagos, a Yoruba effort is like a slap to all Nigerians that fought the Civil war. Because Lagos is a brainchild of Nigeria. It is Nigerian pet project. It housed many companies and parastatals brought by Nigerians from different parts of the country. It is even mediocre that Lagos is not even near Kigali in terms of development despite all the money poured in to its economy. Lagos is just the financial hub of Africa cos of efforts of Nigerians.Do u think 21 million ppl living in a small place like Lagos is healthy? The Nigerian government has failed to diversify the economy across various regions. The United States has California as the tech state, New York as financial, Massachusetts as education, Texas as agriculture, Miami as tourism, and other states to a degree.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Eborty(m): 2:41am On May 10, 2020
Anyways, all Eko past and present governors are to be given an outstanding award for their brilliant visionary approach to modernization, and also a big shoutout to the Ebonyi state governor his excellency Engr. Dave Umahi for his significant performance in transforming his state, in light of intergrity a big kudos to the Ogun state governor, his excellency Egnr Seyi Makinde for his good policies, furthermore i cheer the akwaibom state governors for their progress in modern advancement.
See even with all the resource on earth, a BAD LEADER is a BAD LEADER which also applies the other way round.
If most state leaders had been using their allocations ( including paris dividends ) judiciously, they 'might or will ' look like lagos of last 10 years this moment.
Also, please that other guy should be aware that lagos allocations was paused for 4 years until nigeria's best democracy president (the late pres. Umaru Musa came to power and resolved it.

1 Like

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Eborty(m): 3:34am On May 10, 2020
Tycyborg:
There was never a Nigeria before we have zonal leaders which are great Zic, Awolowo and tafawa balewa Mr Man, like I said there is no Nigeria build Lagos.
Just as you have said, they were called zonal leaders or regional governors, every one of them was outstanding in his own performance, most of the infrastructures nowadays children brag or referred to as nigeria built is actual what is been built by these regional governor of goodwill, fate and hope. Even one of them was referred to as ''the wiping governor''.
Since the light of 1993 what infrastructure has Nigeria erect apart from 50, 60, 76--100 bedroom isolation center.

There is also a trend saying that Akwa Ibom will likely become the next Mega city in nigeria, so is it nigeria doings or is it going to be our next capital..? A question for the guy debating with you.

Tycyborg, please rest your case, you have tried with the lecture.

2 Likes

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by YorubaNinja: 3:39am On May 10, 2020
mrvitalis:

Lagos was built by Nigeria ...all major project was carried out by the federal government 3rd mainland bridge to the airport to the seaport

Yoruba claiming Lagos is like north claiming Abuja

If yorubas was hospitable as they want us to believe ...none yorubas would full ibadan ,abiokuta and other yoruba cities but that's not the case

Lagos is Nigerian project and that's a fact

See as dis Okoro savage wan die on top another man's property.

Ahmadu Bello was indeed right about these Okoro savages.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by MetaPhysical: 6:10am On May 10, 2020
Lagos opened Ibo eyes to civilization. Name one successful Ibo that was self-made without a Yoruba surrogate. None!

What do they think Isale Eko, Oke Sunna, Oke Arin, Apa Tira and Ita Faji stand for? These are landmarks of historical development in Lagos.

Isale Eko - Downtown
Oke Sunna - Uptown
Oke-Arin - Midtown
Ita Faji - Across Town
Ilu Birin - New Town
Apa Tira - Quarters

How else can we demonstrate development for this ancient Yoruba city? grin

Yoruba, the most civilized nation in the world!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Alvelt14(m): 6:21am On May 10, 2020
My fellow brothers from the East, Lagos is a Yoruba land and developed by the Yoruba people. All those cheap point like Binis rule over Lagos (the benin itself, is it developed than Lagos?), Lagos was developed by Nigeria (Does Nigeria built the new Oshodi, Obalende, Lekki among others introduce Brt, the new roads, pedestrian bridges and so on). Your leaders can do better.
It reminds me one time while serving in Abia state, I dey tell my guy I come from Lagos, he asked me which village, I told him I no get village, na lag isl I come from, he dey tell me say he no possible I must come from village
lmao

2 Likes

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by phoenix911: 7:14am On May 10, 2020
Tycyborg:
Out know nothing. The Briton bulit most of it and all others are not excuse because other states can build it. In PH we have nice structures and even a Civic centres we can build others too but we are too blind to see that our state government are useless. The trains are done by the britons and those trains were used to move coals and other stuff to the ships on sea and that was how more things started getting huge like infrastructure and so on by the Briton residing because they wanna feel at home while in Lagos. The military era did next to nothing and Awolowo did alot to make Lagos bigger and concentration was part of it so what's your point?

My point is first you have to understand the topic before you dive in to comment.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Tajbol4splend(m): 11:31am On May 10, 2020
Evercurious:

Ok the smart one
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Tajbol4splend(m): 11:35am On May 10, 2020
Alvelt14:
My fellow brothers from the East, Lagos is a Yoruba land and developed by the Yoruba people. All those cheap point like Binis rule over Lagos (the benin itself, is it developed than Lagos?), Lagos was developed by Nigeria (Does Nigeria built the new Oshodi, Obalende, Lekki among others introduce Brt, the new roads, pedestrian bridges and so on). Your leaders can do better.
It reminds me one time while serving in Abia state, I dey tell my guy I come from Lagos, he asked me which village, I told him I no get village, na lag isl I come from, he dey tell me say he no possible I must come from village
lmao

Igbo people who are born and raised in Igbo land think irregularly, I always say that an Igbo born and raised in Yoruba land is miles different from the one born and raised in Igbo land, the former is far more civil in approach

1 Like

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Tajbol4splend(m): 12:45pm On May 10, 2020
Evercurious:

Whoa, I got a mate
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by courage9(m): 8:11pm On May 10, 2020
Afamsi:
Someone said Nigeria now is 'giant idiot'... May not be far from the truth.
God help us all
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by courage9(m): 8:20pm On May 10, 2020
Eborty:
Anyways, all Eko past and present governors are to be given an outstanding award for their brilliant visionary approach to modernization, and also a big shoutout to the Ebonyi state governor his excellency Engr. Dave Umahi for his significant performance in transforming his state, in light of intergrity a big kudos to the Ogun state governor, his excellency Egnr Seyi Makinde for his good policies, furthermore i cheer the akwaibom state governors for their progress in modern advancement.
See even with all the resource on earth, a BAD LEADER is a BAD LEADER which also applies the other way round.
If most state leaders had been using their allocations ( including paris dividends ) judiciously, they 'might or will ' look like lagos of last 10 years this moment.
Also, please that other guy should be aware that lagos allocations was paused for 4 years until nigeria's best democracy president (the late pres. Umaru Musa came to power and resolved it.

Ogun state governor, his excellency Egnr Seyi ?? cool
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by OROSUNBOLB(m): 12:18am On May 11, 2020
Thetruthshallse:
That binis conquered Lagos island does mean the rest part of Lagos does not belong to the Yorubas. Infact Lagos island belong to the Yorubas, binis only lay claim to it by conquest. But as for modern Lagos, all Nigerians are stakeholders. A word is enough for the wise.

During which war did Bini "conquer"Lagos Island ? Detailed explanation will be appreciated,thanks in advance.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Eborty(m): 5:09pm On May 11, 2020
courage9:

Ogun state governor, his excellency Egnr Seyi ?? cool
THANKS.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Afamsi: 8:13pm On May 12, 2020
Afamsi:
Someone said Nigeria now is a 'giant idiot'... May not be far from the truth.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Konquest: 4:04pm On Jul 22, 2021
sarrki:
Year: 1965

First project in Nigeria:

Through a capital grant agreement between West Germany and Nigeria, Julius Berger undertook the construction of the Eko Bridge in Lagos in 1965:

Notice the badly-beaten construction truck used by Julius Berger in 1965 compared to their new trucks of today tells you that every business started from somewhere......

Then Africa’s longest concrete bridge and the first of its kind, the pioneering design, high quality and timely completion set standards against which Julius Berger is still measured today.

Source: Julius Berger and Bilfinger and Berger.

https://www.julius-berger-int.com/en/company

Now you know.
Eko bridge... A truly iconic
1965 pic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Buckeyemedia1: 4:21pm On Jul 22, 2021
TodayNAlways:
The other day I saw a video of transport system in Lagos dated back to early 60s. I wept after watching that video. Literally, there's no difference between Nigeria of 60 years ago and Nigeria of today. No progress, no development. Pathetic!!!
Weep for yourself first, how have you bettered your life since 1999?
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Buckeyemedia1: 4:23pm On Jul 22, 2021
Afamsi:
Someone said Nigeria is now a 'giant idiot'... May not be far from the truth.
Jehovah should punish the goat that said that, his father is the one that is the giant idiot.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by XAUBulls: 5:50am On Jan 20, 2023
sarrki:

Through a capital grant agreement between West Germany and Nigeria, Julius Berger undertook the construction of the Eko Bridge in Lagos in 1965:

Notice the badly-beaten construction truck used by Julius Berger in 1965 compared to their new trucks of today tells you that every business started from somewhere......

Then Africa’s longest concrete bridge and the first of its kind, the pioneering design, high quality and timely completion set standards against which Julius Berger is still measured today.

Now you know.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by XAUBulls: 8:31pm On Jan 21, 2023
sarrki:

Now you know.
Eko for show!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Dr Chike Akunyili: Graphic Photo Of Murdered Dora Akunyili's Husband / The Car Crash That Killed James Ocholi (Photos) / AIT Ban: Nigerians React To The Video That Landed It In Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.