Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,872 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) (99428 Views)

Abiola, Oba Oyekan At The Crowning Of Tinubu As Asiwaju Of Lagos (Throwback Pic) / Bukola Saraki With Classmates In Kings College, Lagos (Throwback Photo) / Diepreye Solomon Peter Alamieyeseigha Road Under Reconstruction By Julius Berger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by MetaPhysical: 12:52pm On May 09, 2020
ReubenE:

@bold

This claim is wrong. Calabar was only the administrative capital of the Southern protectorate and Oil Rivers Protectorate.
Calabar even ceased to be the capital long before 1914.

The administrative capital of the Southern Protectorate was moved to Lagos in 1906 after its unification with the oil rivers Protectorate.

Lagos is the first official capital of Nigeria in 1914 and the only one until Abuja

The point remains....there are hundreds of other places they could have picked as capital. Why Lagos?

Lagos had potentials which no other place had. Simple!

The colonials were here for trade opportunities. They needed a location best suited for commerce and administration. Lagos was the preferred choice.

Lagos already had itself primed as a center of commerce and administration long before Englishmen arrived.

Portuguese and Dutch had a long relationship with Lagos. Centuries before 1906 or 1914. Do you disagree?

Lagos was developed for commerce, for administration, before 1864 when British took possession. There are records of it.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Basic123: 12:53pm On May 09, 2020
sweetjohn:
Yorubas are really nice people, they are hospitable truely bro. I criticised them too sometimes o especially in politics. But the only thing that irritate me about them is there "unstable mind", they are unstable as water. this instability makes them double standard.

Anybody with rigid mind is unintelligent.

Simple.

1 Like

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Basic123: 12:54pm On May 09, 2020
As if it was ONAHEZE NDIGBO cooperative society money they used to build all the roads on enugu
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by funmijoyb(f): 12:55pm On May 09, 2020
mrvitalis:

U mean the side of ogun Lagos flowed into ....abuja helped development of some part of Niger and nassarawa states too so it's no big deal

There are far more igbos in the north than south west ....we go where the people are either not smart or too lazy to take the opportunity in their place simple
Keyboard typing statistics is cheap..Igbo did not contribute anything in Lagos.
Lagos was a pure Yoruba initiative project. How can a fairly used cloth seller developed Lagos?
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by mrvitalis(m): 12:57pm On May 09, 2020
[quote author=Helloevery1 post=89355265][/quote]
You people like to take things out of content

Even me pay for my ignorance or laziness ...that's how business works

I can't cook I buy food I'm paying for my ignorance
I can cook but to lazy I buy food I pay for my laziness

I buy phone I'm paying for my ignorance if not I would make one

It's simple logic ..now get a life
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Olachase(m): 12:57pm On May 09, 2020
Urchman200:
most of u are seriously having headache on issues u guy's have no choice about, whatever u think Lagos has become 60% is the contribution of an average igboman, I pray one day the country will divide so that the easterners will look home,let see what become of Lagos, igboman will make money in China and bring to Lagos, Malaysia, USA, Turkey, south Africa and other countries where igboman has continued to establish himself he will bring to Lagos and call it home.
bros will u go and stiil down I have heard about this biafar of a thing since when I was 6years old now I'm in my 20s still nothing to show for it, if u can't fight for it now is it ur children that most of them don't even understand ibo language again they knew about English Yoruba is the official language is it those one that want to fight for Biafra, Oga better stop sleeping cus not all dream come through.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Nairalandmonika: 12:57pm On May 09, 2020
Powerintoxicate:
you crazy. Lagos can survive without the FG if Nigeria dissolves today. Infact FG stopped allocation s for four years to Lagos and Lagos survived. Question is can Abuja survive without a federal allocation today ??
If Nigeria dissolve today hope u know all oil companies will have to relocate their office from Lagos to their place of operation. Chevron made lekki what it is today and what they have in Lagos is just an office.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by MrGerald(m): 1:05pm On May 09, 2020
sarrki:

I hardly engage Kanu supporter
You talk like a kid without history
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by MrGerald(m): 1:07pm On May 09, 2020
Powerintoxicate:
you crazy. Lagos can survive without the FG if Nigeria dissolves today. Infact FG stopped allocation s for four years to Lagos and Lagos survived. Question is can Abuja survive without a federal allocation today ??
All the opportunities Lagos is enjoying today is as a result of it being former capital city, no big deal, of course Abuja being more modest city would survive even without sea ports.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by ReubenE(m): 1:08pm On May 09, 2020
MetaPhysical:

The point remains....there are hundreds of other places they could have picked as capital. Why Lagos?

Lagos had potentials which no other place had. Simple!

The colonials were here for trade opportunities. They needed a location best suited for commerce and administration. Lagos was the preferred choice.

Lagos already had itself primed as a center of commerce and administration long before Englishmen arrived.

Portuguese and Dutch had a long relationship with Lagos. Centuries before 1906 or 1914. Do you disagree?

Lagos was developed for commerce, for administration, before 1864 when British took possession. There are records of it.

Anyways, I'm not interested in the Lagos vs others argument, because I don't see what it is going to translate to.

I only sort to correct the erroneous claim made by many that Calabar was the first capital of Nigeria.

My interest is just for you to acknowledge the error, that's all.

Have a great day
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by MrGerald(m): 1:11pm On May 09, 2020
Powerintoxicate:
All the opportunities Lagos is enjoying today is as a result of it being former capital city, no big deal, of course Abuja being more modest city would survive even without sea ports

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Basic123: 1:19pm On May 09, 2020
AreaFada2:

In fact Okotie-Eboh brought Berger & Bilfinger to Nigeria.
Lagos was shaped by people across Nigeria. And slave returnees. Benin even gave the place it's name: Eko (camp) being a war camp of Benin Empire.

Lagos is a melting pot. Very unique. It wasn't even part of Western Region in the 1960s. It was on its own.

Today we call it SW. It shows how Nigeria gradually veered into extreme tribalism since the civil war.
Ignorance!

2 Likes

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by middlebelter(m): 1:43pm On May 09, 2020
Evercurious:

They need the 'Igbo's ' money.. They can't just stop selling their lands cos they sell expensive to the igbos

Nnayin, you mean it is only the money they want? No, they also want your companionship, money is not everything, even the friendship and your beautiful girls for wife. Don't quote on the last part. Otherwise, I will charge to court.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by gcof(m): 1:46pm On May 09, 2020
Printerscanner:
And their latest and most prominent is the 2nd Niger Bridge, abandoned by all but built by the people's general.
kindly save this praise for when the bridge is completed
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by middlebelter(m): 1:50pm On May 09, 2020
mrvitalis:

Bros they can't stop selling land to us because we buy land far more expensive ....what I stated was nothing but pure facts

You better repent and stop this your fighting spirit, bitterness will not take you anywhere in life. Find room in your heart for friendship and joy, it will help you live longer.

Your mindset is your problem, nobody and I repeat, nobody hate the igbos, but everyone want to be respected.
If Enugun were at anytime a Fed Capital like Lagos was, and it experienced development from all part of Nigeria, will that ever change the fact that Enugun belongs to Igbo? Stop distributing hate virus, it is more deadly than Corona Virus o.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by mrvitalis(m): 1:52pm On May 09, 2020
middlebelter:

You better repent and stop this your fighting spirit, bitterness will not take you anywhere in life. Find rooming your heart for friendship and joy, it will help you live longer.

Your mindset is your problem, nobody and I repeat, nobody hate the igbos, but everyone want to be respected.
If Enugun were at anytime a Fed Capital like Lagos was, and it experienced development from all part of Nigeria, will that ever change the fact that Enugun belongs to Igbo? Stop distributing hate virus, it is more deadly than Corona Virus o.
If u see fact as hate then you have a problem ....if igbos hate we won't go to placed and build ...we would simply take our profit and go home

No tribe has built around Nigeria more than the igbos ...but we would state the truth no matter what
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by middlebelter(m): 1:54pm On May 09, 2020
mrvitalis:

If u see fact as hate then you have a problem ....if igbos hate we won't go to placed and build ...we would simply take our profit and go home

No tribe has built around Nigeria more than the igbos ...but we would state the truth no matter what

Sorry I can't help you with further explanation.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Goziesolar: 2:00pm On May 09, 2020
sarrki:
Every other state or region learn from Lagos

Lagos is the leader

Any political leader in Lagos is the head of modern day leader

Argue with prove from your region or state of origin
oga tribal lord its proof not prove
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by OROSUNBOLB(m): 2:30pm On May 09, 2020
Tajbol4splend:

At the end of the day, Lagos was developed by the Igbos

Only a foolish man develops another man's yard while his own is being washed away by erosion.

2 Likes

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by NGpatriot: 2:33pm On May 09, 2020
mrvitalis:

Lagos was built by Nigeria ...all major project was carried out by the federal government 3rd mainland bridge to the airport to the seaport

Yoruba claiming Lagos is like north claiming Abuja

If yorubas was hospitable as they want us to believe ...none yorubas would full ibadan ,abiokuta and other yoruba cities but that's not the case

Lagos is Nigerian project and that's a fact

At the end of the day, Lagos is not only a Yorubaland, it's 100% a SW state, meaning a Yoruba state and a member of the SW governors forum and O'odua Investment Group, Lagos state is also a strong member of DAWN.

Also at the eventual disintegration of Nigeria and when you finally get your Biafra, Lagos won't be part of the SE or part of the North, but part of the SW and Abuja part of the North with the SE empty handed.

Lagos = SW

Abuja = North

SE = Anambra.

See your impending reality..
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by mrvitalis(m): 2:36pm On May 09, 2020
NGpatriot:

At the end of the day, Lagos is not only a Yorubaland, it's 100% a SW state, meaning a Yoruba state and a member of the SW governors forum and O'odua Investment Group, Lagos state is also a strong member of DAWN.

Also at the eventual disintegration of Nigeria and when you finally get your Biafra, Lagos won't be part of the SE or part of the North, but part of the SW and Abuja part of the North with the SE empty handed.

Lagos = SW

Abuja = North

SE = Anambra.

Let Nigeria disintegrate ...infact we dash una all the Igbo property in the south west and north ..max na 10 years
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by mrvitalis(m): 2:36pm On May 09, 2020
NGpatriot:

Lagos = SW

Abuja = North

SE = Anambra.

Let Nigeria disintegrate ...infact we dash una all the Igbo property in the south west and north ..max na 10 years we done get am back and move on ...the Igbo spirit is supreme
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by MetaPhysical: 2:37pm On May 09, 2020
Ibos are confusing development for modernity. Thats what the issue is.

Modernity is what the JB bridge is.
Modernity is what Apapa port is.

They are not developments for Lagos.

Lagos had always had a means to cross the lagoon before Nigeria.

Modernity brought cars and trams and bicycles and therefore need for a bridge. The bridge is not development but a modern facility to cross water in the age of automobiles. Can we say automobile is development? No. It is a utility and a modernity.

Before cars Yorubas crossed the lagoon with boats. Lagos had port and a harbour that Dutch and Portuguese ships harbour in.

There was administration in Lagos before Nigeria. There was commerce in Lagos before Nigeria. There was development in Lagos before Nigeria. Nigeria did not develop Lagos.

Lagos developed Nigeria.

People that were forest roaming fruit gatherers came to Lagos to learn civilization and organization. We have records of it.

If Zik had returned straight to East after his return from studies in US he would not have had half the achievements he had.

Louis Ojukwu traded in East, traded in North...but it wasn't until he relocated and lived in Lagos that he saw how to expand and grow and made millions in profit. His house in Lagos is a far much opulent property than the ones he built back home.

Mbadiwe would not have achieved much if he had remained in East. Same goes for Okpara. Njoku, Achebe and so on.

Lagos developed Nigeria.
We opened una eyes! grin

What Lagos got from Nigeria is modernity.

grin

5 Likes

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by OROSUNBOLB(m): 2:37pm On May 09, 2020
Urchman200:
most of u are seriously having headache on issues u guy's have no choice about, whatever u think Lagos has become 60% is the contribution of an average igboman, I pray one day the country will divide so that the easterners will look home,let see what become of Lagos, igboman will make money in China and bring to Lagos, Malaysia, USA, Turkey, south Africa and other countries where igboman has continued to establish himself he will bring to Lagos and call it home.

Igbo man should stop being stupid then and takes his money to arochuckwu or whatever !
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Legendguru: 2:39pm On May 09, 2020
Good
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by NGpatriot: 2:43pm On May 09, 2020
mrvitalis:

Let Nigeria disintegrate ...infact we dash una all the Igbo property in the south west and north ..max na 10 years we done get am back and move on ...the Igbo spirit is supreme

If I ruled the world, I'll give you your biafra today, good riddance.
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by mrvitalis(m): 2:55pm On May 09, 2020
NGpatriot:

If I ruled the world, I'll give you your biafra today, good riddance.
Help us na buy supporting it ...
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Urchman200: 2:58pm On May 09, 2020
OROSUNBOLB:

Igbo man should stop being stupid then and takes his money to arochuckwu or whatever !
Lagos know u? More than 80% of igbos living in Lagos are more recognized than some of u who are jobless in the same Lagos, always come on nairaland to make noise, tell ur relatives that have lived all their lives in UK to start coming back before telling igboman to go Arochukwu ok,calm down make envy and jealousy no shorten una life span on top of igboman matter, he is living his best life over there y some of u depend only on the change u get from ur odds jobs .
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by alfredilly: 2:59pm On May 09, 2020
ImmaculateJOE:

Engage him (mrvitalis), he is stating the plain fact.

From 1914-1991 (73years) Lagos state was the capital of Nigeria and so like he stated FG build up Lagos to what it is today.. The past and present governors are just doing maintenance.

And yes Lagos state closeness to the Atlantic ocean is the icing on the cake that made Lagos a class above the rest.
But then if places like Bonny in Rivers state was the then capital of Nigeria it will be like Lagos state now.

Stop making claim that can not be substantiated. Lagos wasn't the capital of Nigerian since 1914. Yes, some natural factor gives Lagos the privilege of being a thriving commercial centre, some of this can also be seen elsewhere. The growth of Lagos can not be divorced from the interprising influence of the initial dweller who took advantage of there close tight with the Portuguese trader to venture into commerce. The colonial era saw the growing influence of Lagos as an important trade destination making it's port the most strategic in Nigeria. Even at independence when Nigeria fell into regional government, Ibadan, not Lagos was the capital of west.

1 Like

Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by samictelecoms12(m): 3:00pm On May 09, 2020
Ok
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by Fairview1: 3:03pm On May 09, 2020
Great things usually start small, with tenacity and resilience, small things becomes big. Very big!
Re: The First Project By Julius Berger In Nigeria 1965 Was In Lagos (Throwback Pic) by MeeLan: 3:05pm On May 09, 2020
Powerintoxicate:
it wasn't Lagos that survived or was not sent allocation, it was the local councils created by Lagos state govt without federal say-so. If you think taxes and iGR is enough for a state to survive, think again. It maybe possible in the short run, but long run? Nah! You have quickly forgotten It was federal presence in Lagos that made Lagos the Lagos it is today.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Dr Chike Akunyili: Graphic Photo Of Murdered Dora Akunyili's Husband / The Car Crash That Killed James Ocholi (Photos) / AIT Ban: Nigerians React To The Video That Landed It In Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.