Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,509 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship - Culture (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship (25192 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by MetaPhysical: 3:23am On Jul 16, 2020
TAO11:

Yes that's so true! The Edo people whom the Yoruba-Oba of Benin rule over are not freeborns.

The Yoruba monarch decides if the men and women should wear clothes or not.

I need Babaramo to show us relationship between Yoruba rulers and EDO slaves. It doesnt tell the story well when I post it. That man is raw with it, he knows how to make a picture say a thousand words. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO11(f): 3:26am On Jul 16, 2020
MetaPhysical:
I need Babaramo to show us relationship between Yoruba rulers and EDO slaves. It doesnt tell the story well when I post it. That man is raw with it, he knows how to make a picture say a thousand words. grin

Hahaha! That guy is raw.

I'd be modifying my preceding comment with some quotations in that regards.

I don't want to go as raw as Babaramo can with images. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SaintBeehot(m): 5:01am On Jul 16, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Really? You want to disgrace your Omo n'Oba? Go ahead, I dare you. Hit it.... grin
I don't think this guy knows what he's spewing, don't waste your time on people who don't read but listen to stories they're told by their elders.

2 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 6:36am On Jul 16, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Really? You want to disgrace your Omo n'Oba? Go ahead, I dare you. Hit it.... grin

I will trust me, i will create lots of threads for it you will be tsgged

But for the main time i want to see what makes you believe our oba is yoruba... Lol
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 6:45am On Jul 16, 2020
SaintBeehot:
I don't think this guy knows what he's spewing, don't waste your time on people who don't read but listen to stories they're told by their elders.

Funny enough i should be the one saying this am going to make history when thread drop watch out it will be an hit back to back with provea flying in and out....
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SaintBeehot(m): 8:33am On Jul 16, 2020
gregyboy:

Funny enough i should be the one saying this am going to make history when thread drop watch out it will be an hit back to back with provea flying in and out....
with hypothesis

3 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by 900winer(m): 8:49am On Jul 16, 2020
This Edo boy will not go and rest after he has been given enternal beaten cheesy hehehe... From Benin owns Ogboni he was trashed, Benin owns the word Oba he was trashed again cheesy Benin invaded Lagos with war he was still trashed with the link he provided grin haba na Oga cheesy beaten no dey taya you Edo boy grin

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by babtoundey(m): 9:39am On Jul 16, 2020
900winer:
This Edo boy will not go and rest after he has been given enternal beaten cheesy hehehe... From Benin owns Ogboni he was trashed, Benin owns the word Oba he was trashed again cheesy Benin invaded Lagos with war he was still trashed with the leak he provided grin haba na Oga cheesy beaten no dey taya you Edo boy grin

He's been trash sote he himself don become Trash. Why do you think he goes about shouting "DUMP" every now and then?

3 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by 900winer(m): 12:23pm On Jul 16, 2020
babtoundey:

He's been trash sote he himself don become Trash. Why do you think he goes about shouting "DUMP" every now and then?
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by sanyaoyega(m): 11:36am On Jul 17, 2020
Moneywomen17:
Yoruba owns ogboni. They merely brought it to u Benin. Nothing in what u posted from Benin net shows that for a fact that Benin owns ogbeni group.
So what exactly is the issue my brother. The religion of dead men that failed to contribute anything tangible to world history except slavery. I mean do we really know enough to about the African past as it was never documented it was merely passed down orally. Most times I wonder what our fore father's were doing when the world was on the move.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Trinitykey: 3:16pm On Jul 18, 2020
sanyaoyega:

So what exactly is the issue my brother. The religion of dead men that failed to contribute anything tangible to world history except slavery. I mean do we really know enough to about the African past as it was never documented it was merely passed down orally. Most times I wonder what our fore father's were doing when the world was on the move.
Yoruba history is well preserved and enshrined in monuments and religion..

3 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 10:36am On Jan 16, 2021
AreaFada2:

Hahahaha. Again, the history of the elders from which the first ogiso emerged is out there. Ashanti have said the golden stool didn't come from the sky yet outsiders still claim so.

King Bling Frederick and Ooni in their writings about Oduduwa still do not match. Olugbo even claims seniority to Ooni.
Your people here still claim chain from the hill, sky, Egypt, Israel. grin

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 10:37am On Jan 16, 2021
Trinitykey:

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 10:32pm On Jan 14, 2022
gregyboy:
Most people will think ogboni and olokun worship originated from the yoruba people but they have thought wrongly the yorubas under the canopy of oduduwa wants to steal our identity
The screenshot below shows the narrative of of the benin chiefs descendants who leaved in igbaraOke oke presently at ondo state stating how olokun worship was foreign to the igbaraOke people

Samuk
Valirex
Ghostwon
AreaFada2
Sarah20A

This is the height of madness. You lot will literally suffer from inferiority complex the rest of your lives. Instead of investigating the the reasons why they're so many similarities you go about telling lies and turning things on its head. You have the guts yo quote orishas when did orishas become a benin name?? Like wtf. Can you break down olokun in edo language. I don't even know where to begin from. It's told by your king how oromiyan brought his chiefs and his party to benin, its told how the name was gotten from oromiyan proclamation so why all this senseless mental gymnastics. Stay in your place. You were civilized by the yoruba kings still ruling you. Maybe start by removing him first
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by valirex: 8:13am On Jan 15, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

This is the height of madness. You lot will literally suffer from inferiority complex the rest of your lives. Instead of investigating the the reasons why they're so many similarities you go about telling lies and turning things on its head. You have the guts yo quote orishas when did orishas become a benin name?? Like wtf. Can you break down olokun in edo language. I don't even know where to begin from. It's told by your king how oromiyan brought his chiefs and his party to benin, its told how the name was gotten from oromiyan proclamation so why all this senseless mental gymnastics. Stay in your place. You were civilized by the yoruba kings still ruling you. Maybe start by removing him first

Lol see epistle grin
See as this one is in serious pain grin
Oni has been rejected by all females grin
Oya begin to wail grin
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO11(f): 9:10am On Jan 15, 2022
Trinitykey:

gregyboy:
The fact you truly believe that this screenshot refutes anything says it all about your grasp of English. You need “Brighter Grammar”.

To help your life, I will dumb-down the content of that screenshot for you step by step below:

(A) The general Yoruba tradition is that they and their kings trace back to king Oduduwa of Ife.

(B) The exact wording “the heritage of Oduduwa” isn't necessarily the same precise wording in usage among the Yorubas; but their usage obviously have the same effect as “the heritage of Oduduwa”.
—————

(C) There is at least one of the Yorùbá kingdoms which has something quite strange to say — and this is the Yoruba kingdom of Oyo.

(D) This strange claim is found by this scholar (whose screenshot you attached) to be a latter Oyo invention which Oyo itself didn’t have/belief ab-initio.

(E) This scholar found that Oyo invented this claim at a time when it became an imperial power in the region just for the propaganda of a false superiority over the rulers of Ife whose office is paramount.

Having dumbed-down your own screenshot for you, I am aware that points [(C), (D), and (E)] aren’t obvious from that particular screenshot.

As such, I will cite the specific relevant passages from the same article where Prof. R.C.C. Law made it clear.

R.C.C. Law writes (while debunking the spurious and strange claims which intends to challenge the Ooni’s legitimate ancestry and hence superiority) as follows:

Certain traditions relating to the ancestry of the Oni of Ife appear to have been devised specifically in order to counter the Oni's very plausible claim to paramount status. ... This denial of true royal ancestry to the Oni of Ife offered an opportunity for other kings to claim for themselves primacy of status among the descendants of Oduduwa.~ Page 212.

Moreover, after combing through the evidences, R. C. C. Law then summarizes his find on the last page as follows:

SUMMARY•••
The article considers the political implications of the Yoruba traditions of origin, and seeks to relate the existence of certain variants of the tradition to the use of it for purposes of political propaganda. In particular, it is suggested that the tradition was manipulated and modified in an attempt to support the claims to paramountcy of the king of Oyo, when this kingdom became the most powerful state in the Yoruba area during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries•••
.~ Page 224.

Regards.

Cc: SirNewtonNG

17 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 9:22am On Jan 15, 2022
lawani:
the Benin that influenced eastern Yoruba were Yoruba speaking Benin not the edo.

Finally i see someone say it. Yoruba(Lukumi) was the administrative language of the benin palace and of trade and that while area
Many of the nobles preserved their ife heritage, language and culture and made it in conjunction with the King a part and parcel of the day to day activities in the kingdom. See ref:-Ethnicity and the Slave trade: "Lucumi" and "nago" as etgnonyms in west africa, Robin Law History in Africa Vol. 24 (1997), pp. 205-219 (15 pages) ref Sandoval, Tratado, 126(lucumies estrangeros)

2 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 9:24am On Jan 15, 2022
valirex:

Lol see epistle grin
See as this one is in serious pain grin
Oya begin to wail grin

Whos the mumu. It's The one forever in bondage to a yoruba king who has ruled his little kingdom for a 1000 years. Hurray to my omonoba. Forever may the omonoba rule his slvs

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by valirex: 11:06am On Jan 15, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

Whos the mumu. It's The one forever in bondage to a yoruba king who has ruled his little kingdom for a 1000 years. Hurray to my omonoba. Forever may the omonoba rule his slvs

Lol no more epistles again grin
Ọba don become him king cheesy serious pain grin
Oya begin to wail grin
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 1:31pm On Jan 15, 2022
valirex:

Oya begin to wail grin

(1) The Edos who were still roaming stark n@ked without shame in as recent as the early-1900s.

Refer to the 1st attachment from page 24 of H.L. Roth(1903).

(2) I mean, there are many things you don't know, but an interesting one which I would love to highlight for you is the following from page 103 of H.L Roth(1903):

"Lieut. King found that “the king can sell his subjects when convicted of crime, or when they have incurred his displeasure." The royal right of abuse seems to have survived to the last days, for Gallwey (p. 129) mentions that “the Benin people are free, but are treated as slaves by the king, the title of king's slave being considered an honour." We have seen above that for different reasons the king claimed male children, widows and slaves belonging to deceased subjects; he could hardly get much more, so that the mass of the people were practically slaves to the king, and those who were not to the king were so to their chiefs."

Please note that the Yoruba King of Benin wouldn't have considered you Edos as slaves if he was truly an Edo like you all. 

Moreover, he has the right of royal abuse to sacrifice any of you his slaves to Yoruba gods of Benin as is seen in the 2nd attachment. 

(3) Refer to my comment found at the link below for refutation:

https://www.nairaland.com/5910322/olokun-worship-indigenous-benin-other/1#90502447

Also refer to my point (2a) at my comment found at the link below:

hhttps://www.nairaland.com/5846195/benins-owners-ogboni-confraternity/12#90501582
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 1:33pm On Jan 15, 2022
valirex:

Oya begin to wail grin

Whos the mumu. It's The one forever in bondage to a yoruba king who has ruled his little kingdom for a 1000 years. Hurray to my omonoba who has the binis forever tied to him grin
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by valirex: 1:58pm On Jan 15, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

(1) The Edos who were still roaming stark n@ked without shame in as recent as the early-1900s.

(2) I mean, there are many things you don't know, but an interesting one which I would love to highlight for you is the following from page 103 of H.L Roth(1903):

"Lieut. King found that “the king can sell his subjects when convicted of crime, or when they have incurred his displeasure." The royal right of abuse seems to have survived to the last days, for Gallwey (p. 129) mentions that “the Benin people are free, but are treated as slaves by the king, the title of king's slave being considered an honour." We have seen above that for different reasons the king claimed male children, widows and slaves belonging to deceased subjects; he could hardly get much more, so that the mass of the people were practically slaves to the king, and those who were not to the king were so to their chiefs."

Please note that the Yoruba King of Benin wouldn't have considered you Edos as slaves if he was truly an Edo like you all. 

Moreover, he has the right of royal abuse to sacrifice any of you his slaves to Yoruba gods of Benin as is seen in the 2nd attachment. 

https://www.nairaland.com/5910322/olokun-worship-indigenous-benin-other/1#90502447

hhttps://www.nairaland.com/5846195/benins-owners-ogboni-confraternity/12#90501582

Lol now mumu don enter epistles grin
This one is in serious pain grin
Oya begin to wail grin
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by valirex: 1:59pm On Jan 15, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

Whos the mumu. It's The one forever in bondage to a yoruba king who has ruled his little kingdom for a 1000 years. Hurray to my omonoba who has the binis forever tied to him grin

Lol no more epistles again but mūmū dey ask question grin
Oya begin to wail grin
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 3:08pm On Jan 15, 2022
valirex:

Oya begin to wail grin

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 3:08pm On Jan 15, 2022
valirex:

Oya begin to wail grin

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 3:09pm On Jan 15, 2022
valirex:

Oya begin to wail grin

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 3:11pm On Jan 15, 2022
valirex:

Oya begin to wail grin

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by valirex: 8:01pm On Jan 15, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

Lol see epistle, your mama wen dey n@ked for 3rd mainland bridge make sure con read am cheesy
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by valirex: 8:02pm On Jan 15, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

Mūmū dey ask question grin
no more epistles again grin
Oya begin to wail grin
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 2:20am On Jan 16, 2022
valirex:

Lol see epistle, your mama wen dey n@ked for 3rd mainland bridge make sure con read am cheesy

"Lieut. King found that “the king can sell his subjects when convicted of crime, or when they have incurred his displeasure." The royal right of abuse seems to have survived to the last days, for Gallwey (p. 129) mentions that “the Benin people ... are treated as slaves by the king, the title of king's slave being considered an honour." ... the mass of the people were practically slaves to the king, and those who were not to the king were so to their chiefs."

Reference: H.Ling Roth (1903), p.103.

Food For Thought: A king NEVER regards his subjects as his slaves IF he truly belongs to the same ethno-linguistic group as them.

Abieyuwa N'ovbi Oodua N'Uhe ghato kpere ... Ise!

Long may you reign, [Oh] son of the wealthy Oodua of Ife ... Amen!

This is what you are! Read well and cry
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 2:21am On Jan 16, 2022
valirex:

Oya begin to wail grin

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by SirNewtonNG: 2:21am On Jan 16, 2022
valirex:

Oya begin to wail grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

The Igala Kingdom: Their Culture, Beliefs, Marriage, And History / Which Nigerian Tribe Owns Ogbono Soup, Okro Soup, Egusi Soup , Vegetable , White / Benue Bans Men From Spending More Than N100, 000 On Traditional Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.