Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. (14494 Views)

The Kingdom Of Benin Was A Massive Slave Trader / The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 8:12pm On May 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, you're sleeping

Go sleep
you can start building your Igodomigodo or edo empire now where edo will be the lingua franca but Benin was Yoruba speaking not edo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 8:29pm On May 14, 2020
lawani:
you can start building your Igodomigodo or edo empire now where edo will be the lingua franca but Benin was Yoruba speaking not edo.

I hear you go sleep
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by AreaFada2: 2:10am On May 15, 2020
gregyboy:

I hear you go sleep

Kikikikiki.

Anytime anybody from Osun village or some remote South West hamlet reaches Lagos or has access to social media, they begin to yarn dust. cheesy cheesy grin grin

Ibadan of yesterday was getting tributes from Benin and Benin was getting tributes from Lagos even during Elekoship of Kosoko until 1850s when Britain took Lagos? Hahahaha!

So Ibadan could not take over Lagos next door, and they now went to Benin? cheesy grin

What they try to deny is that Benin City was the Lagos (metropolis and the place to show off your skills and if lucky, get royal patronage) in imperial times.

Many languages were spoken by immigrants from various parts of the empire: artisans, servants, wives taken from other tribes, war captives, etc. So the sound of Igbo, Ijaw and Yoruba would not have been strange. Moreover, less than 50km from Benin City begin Yoruba speaking areas, some now in Ondo State, some still inside Edo State. I know all that area well and how they were under Benin influence.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 10:22am On May 15, 2020
AreaFada2:

Kikikikiki.

Anytime anybody from Osun village or some remote South West hamlet reach Lagos or has access to social media, be gin to yarn dust. cheesy cheesy grin grin

Ibadan of yesterday was getting tributes from Benin and Benin was getting tributes from Lagos even during Elekoship of Kosoko until 1850s when Britain took Lagos? Hahahaha!

So Ibadan could not take over Lagos next door, and they now went to Benin? cheesy grin

What they try to deny is that Benin City was the Lagos (metropolis and the place to show off your skills and if lucky, get royal patronage) in imperial times. Many languages were spoken by immigrants from various parts of the empire: artisans, servants, wives taken from other tribes, war captives, etc. So the sound of Igbo, Ijaw and Yoruba would not have been strange. Moreover, less than 50km from Benin City begin Yoruba speaking areas, some now in Ondo State, some still inside Edo State. I know all that area well and how they were under Benin influence.

Is a funny guy.....

Lemme listen to my victor uwaifo song before all this slave of a tribe get me annoyed

2 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Olu317(m): 12:54pm On May 15, 2020
RedboneSmith:

I do not know where you read this, but the people of Ugbodu and by extension the Olukwumi, do not claim Benin origin. They came from parts of Eastern Yorubaland that were under Benin hegemony. In their oral traditions Owo and Akure are specifically mentioned.
Though, you are accurate about the migration pattern. And they actually lived in Bini as mercenaries,court workers,in the Oba's palace and environment, before migration to present location due to unfavorable and stiffening of law against Olukumi' people although they stopped along the way before eventual established settlement in Delta region where they live.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 1:12pm On May 15, 2020
Olu317:
Though, you are accurate about the migration pattern. And they actually lived in Bini as mercenaries,court workers,in the Oba's palace and environment, before migration to present location due to unfavorable and stiffening of law against Olukumi' people although they stopped along the way before eventual established settlement in Delta region where they live.

Lol, with source, not just source traceable source
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Olu317(m): 3:08pm On May 15, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, with source, not just source traceable source
Well, I had trailed this lane before on Olukumi with your superior Oviedo ewarriors and shut them down. So, source isn't my problem if you need the source, then Google ‘Olukumi' on wikipedia or ‘Yoruba enclave in the heart of Delta.'
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 15, 2020
lawani:
The Benin empire was a Yoruba empire thorough and thorough. The Yoruba language was used as lingua franca during the days of the empire. The people of ugbodu in delta state migrated from Benin according to their history and they still speak a Yoruba dialect today. Benin empire was a sister state to Ijesa, Ijebu and etc, they spoke the same language. The Benin palace was a sprawling complex home to over 50 thousand people and all those people spoke Yoruba as mother tongue. It was in the 19th century that edo people from the suburbs overwhelmed the palace. Nowadays some edo revisionist try so hard to rewrite the history as an edo empire but this is far from the truth.

I talk am

cc

greyboy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Christistruth00: 8:43pm On May 15, 2020
AreaFada2:

Kikikikiki.

Anytime anybody from Osun village or some remote South West hamlet reaches Lagos or has access to social media, they begin to yarn dust. cheesy cheesy grin grin

What they try to deny is that Benin City was the Lagos (metropolis and the place to show off your skills and if lucky, get royal patronage) in imperial times.

Many languages were spoken by immigrants from various parts of the empire: artisans, servants, wives taken from other tribes, war captives, etc. So the sound of Igbo, Ijaw and Yoruba would not have been strange. Moreover, less than 50km from Benin City begin Yoruba speaking areas, some now in Ondo State, some still inside Edo State. I know all that area well and how they were under Benin influence.

Are you aware that Benin paid tribute to Oyo starting with Alaafin Oranmiyan ? This is a well known fact among Oyo Historians.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by AreaFada2: 8:47pm On May 15, 2020
Christistruth00:

Are you aware that Benin paid tribute to Oyo starting with Alaafin Oranmiyan ? This is a well known fact among Oyo Historians.
Lol. Oshogbo weed must be very popular among those your Oyo historians. Maybe they even soak the weed in kaikai grin
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Christistruth00: 9:13pm On May 15, 2020
AreaFada2:

Lol. Oshogbo weed must be very popular among those your Oyo historians. Maybe they even soak the weed in kaikai grin

Benin paid tribute to Oyo starting with Alaafin Oranmiyan ? This is a well known fact among Oyo Historians.

From Sir Alfred Maloney
British Colonial Governor of Lagos 1890

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by RedboneSmith(m): 9:16pm On May 15, 2020
Christistruth00:

At the time of Oranmiyan and his early successors Ajaka and Sango, Oyo was still a small city-state and was not in a position to exert tribute from anyone. Had it finished paying tribute to Owu and defending itself against Nupe and Bariba attack to see road to ask anyone for tribute?

2 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Christistruth00: 9:17pm On May 15, 2020
Benin paid tribute to Oyo starting with Alaafin Oranmiyan . This is a well known fact among Oyo Historians.

From Sir Alfred Maloney

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Christistruth00: 9:26pm On May 15, 2020
RedboneSmith:

At the time of Oranmiyan and his early successors Ajaka and Sango, Oyo was still a small city-state and was not in a position to exert tribute from anyone. Had it finished paying tribute to Owu and defending itself against Nupe and Bariba attack to see road to ask anyone for tribute?

Alaafin Oranmiyan had a Army at Oyo complete with Horses that defeated and Overran the Bariba .Even the Bariba were paying tribute to Oranmiyan at Oyo.
Oyo was founded on land Alaafin Oranmiyan took from the Bariba .
Benin paid tribute to Oyo. Starting with Alaafin Oranmiyan.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by RedboneSmith(m): 10:20pm On May 15, 2020
Christistruth00:

Alaafin Oranmiyan had a Army at Oyo complete with Horses that defeated and Overran the Bariba .Even the Bariba were paying tribute to Oranmiyan at Oyo.
Oyo was founded on land Alaafin Oranmiyan took from the Bariba .
Benin paid tribute to Oyo. Starting with Alaafin Oranmiyan.

Wrong on all counts. While horses were known in early Oyo, it wasn't until much later that they had them in sufficient numbers to form a cavalry. Hence the first mention of the use of horses in warfare in Oyo history was in the time of Orompoto.

There is no record of Benin paying tribute to Oyo.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Christistruth00: 10:34pm On May 15, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Wrong on all counts. While horses were known in early Oyo, it wasn't until much later that they had them in sufficient numbers to form a cavalry. Hence the first mention of the use of horses in warfare in Oyo history was in the time of Orompoto.

Sorry but you are wrong. Oranmiyan had Horses when he invaded Benin . Please check your History .

Benin paid tribute to Oyo starting with Alaafin Oranmiyan, if you do not have the record I am humbly informing you that it is in Oyo's records.
It is not a matter of pride for Oyo it is a matter of truth. Oyo itself paid tribute to the Fulani at Ilorin , it was the humiliation of it that drove the Yoruba to defeat the Fulani Jihad at Osogbo in 1840.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by AreaFada2: 11:08pm On May 15, 2020
Christistruth00:

Benin paid tribute to Oyo starting with Alaafin Oranmiyan ? This is a well known fact among Oyo Historians.

From Sir Alfred Maloney

Yoruba story in 1890 to colonial people livid about Benin influence, good 40 years after taking Lagos from Benin. Which Benin imperial authorities did the British confirm it from in 1890?

Assuming it's true as Yoruba some Yoruba assert that Oranmiyan left Benin and founded Oyo. So if his son Eweka (assuming true, but doubtful) sent gifts to his father, it's now called tribute? Lol. grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by RedboneSmith(m): 11:29pm On May 15, 2020
Christistruth00:

Sorry but you are wrong. Oranmiyan had Horses when he invaded Benin . Please check your History .

Benin paid tribute to Oyo starting with Alaafin Oranmiyan, if you do not have the record I am humbly informing you that it is in Oyo's records.
It is not a matter of pride for Oyo it is a matter of truth. Oyo itself paid tribute to the Fulani at Ilorin , it was the humiliation of it that drove the Yoruba to defeat the Fulani Jihad at Osogbo in 1840.

The entire language of this screenshot you've been posting here is very suggestive of hearsay. The man was far away in Lagos in the late 19th century and was telling us that he heard (abi, read) that in the 17th century....

Clapperton was physically present in Oyo in 1826 and spoke with the Alaafin of the time. The Alaafin never told him anything about Benin paying tribute. Samule Johnson spoke with the arokin in Oyo in the late 19th century. Nothing about Benin paying tribute.

Maloney's testimony is without merit.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Christistruth00: 11:46pm On May 15, 2020
AreaFada2:

Yoruba story in 1890 to colonial people livid about Benin influence, good 40 years after taking Lagos from Benin. Which Benin imperial authorities did the British confirm it from in 1890?

Assuming it's true as Yoruba some Yoruba assert that Oranmiyan left Benin and founded Oyo. So if his son Eweka (assuming true, but doubtful) sent gifts to his father, it's now called tribute? Lol. grin grin cheesy cheesy

The Benin had nothing to do with the British invasion of Lagos . Lagos was already independent of Benin and to confirm this the Benin Army never lifted a finger to save Lagos from the British it was Yorubas that did all the fighting with especially the Awori,Egba, and Ijebu infact , Ijebu Epe was where King Kosoko and his Army escaped to. Benin had nothing to do in the affair. Benin that was too weak to defend itself even from Gen Ogedengbe and the Ekiti Parapo Army. Gen Ogendegbe invaded Benin Kingdom and would have taken Benin itself after occupying many towns in Northern Edo State today if not for the desperation of the Oba in pacifying him with gifts and pleadings.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 15, 2020
Christistruth001 and lawani....what class are u guys kg 3....do you guys even read logically.....ur spontaneous and oblivious thought pattern wears me out ....I don't even see my self trying to explain how flawed ur points are cuz I know u will most likely not grasp it....

On the long run u guys are uninformed and unfit to partake in discussion concerning history ....go and read some more ok!! angry
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by AreaFada2: 12:03am On May 16, 2020
Christistruth00:

The Benin had nothing to do with the British invasion of Lagos . Lagos was already independent of Benin and to confirm this the Benin Army never lifted a finger to save Lagos from the British it was Yorubas that did all the fighting with especially the Awori,Egba, and Ijebu infact , Ijebu Epe was where King Kosoko and his Army escaped to. Benin had nothing to do in the affair. Benin that was too weak to defend itself even from Gen Ogedengbe and the Ekiti Parapo Army. Gen Ogendegbe invaded Benin Kingdom and would have taken Benin itself after occupying many towns in Northern Edo State today if not for the desperation of the Oba in pacifying him with gifts and pleadings.

Ogedengbe invaded and was pacified, what kind of warrior is that? grin grin cheesy

The letter sent to British officers to Benin over Kosoko is on record. Do not twist history.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Amujale(m): 12:56am On May 16, 2020
ℹBenin was a Yoruba Empire (this isnt mere semantics).

As in, the Benin Empire was ruled by a monarch that lends its linguistic and cultural legacy from the Yoruba. FACTS

ℹBenin was a Benin Empire.

As in, the Benin Empire was a large commercial organisation owned and controlled by the people of Benin. FACTS

Both these statements are correct.

Yet, we have to recognise the fact that there was foreign distruption.

In oder to ascertain the facts, one would need to understand the interpolation of the Potoki.

Theres no need to argue over these type of minor matters, the most logical explanation is expressed in Yoruba secular history, take it or leave it.

Considering the reports, this is a very fair disposition by the hands of our parents.

Our parents are genius, know thyself, respect our ancestors.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Amujale(m): 1:04am On May 16, 2020
The year is 2020 and we are arguing away at the history that has already been determined, rather than making use of such history to further our betterment.

I dont want to hear my Empire was more powerful than yours, you was to blame, no, they was to blame. Stop it!

Lets use our knowledge of history to bring about change.

For instance, lets force the hand of these same potoki to open a partnership with them on our terms and in their economy.

Set up a commercial trade, exports and imports using the leverage that we possess.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by YungMillionaire: 4:18am On May 16, 2020
lawani:
I don't know to use my phone to post links but I mentioned ugbodu in delta state in my write up. Do some digging yourself, it is not rocket science. I

Ugbodu is something that makes me believe your claim. Those guys are practically Yorubas (language and name) right in the heart of Anioma. Its quite amazing to say the least.

4 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by YungMillionaire: 4:32am On May 16, 2020
Christistruth00:

Wow!
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 11:18am On May 16, 2020
RedboneSmith:

in the time of sango, oyo was already an empire. It was sango that sent Timi to establish ede to protect oyo traders from the Ijesa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Olu317(m): 3:01pm On May 16, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Oranmiyan came invading with calvary,even Edo had testimony of this account in British museum. The same man went back to Ileife in calvary to became Ooni after chasing Obalufon II from the throne of Oshin-mole. You can find this written in Susan Blier's Ileife, the Birthplace of Yorubas.

I strongly believe, with great evidence in written account by Dimitri Bondarenko, Jacob Ogharevba, and information on things, such as the dug Ooni Image buried in Bini's palace, Bini as a name, sword of Oba Bini , gift of a Igodomigodo wife to oranmiyan, establishment of Yoruba's Oba pattern, a descendants lineage to continue the peculiar monarchial system, homage of Oba Bini to Ileife after ascension to his forebear throne by Joao Afonso de Aveiro etc proof homage/ tributary to Oranmiyan and his ancestor's throne. After all, Oranmiyan established Oyo with his kingly lineage of Ogun's ancestor.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Olu317(m): 3:21pm On May 16, 2020
lawani:
in the time of sango, oyo was already an empire. It was sango that sent Timi to establish ede to protect oyo traders from the Ijesa.
This information of yours isn't accurate because Oyo was not an Empire during Sango time. Are you even aware the strongest Yoruba kingdom was Owu(Onipole )? Unfortunately, Owu dwindle after Oyo became the toast of all Yoruba emigrants due to trade route from all Yoruba enclave. And when Oyo was sacked by Nupe war mongers ,which Oyo as a whole move to different places such as Nikki, Igboho before massive military prosecution to defeat Nupe warriors and her leaders was embarked upon which yielded fruitfulness and thus reestablishment of Oyo as a kingdom before she became Empire in 17th century .

So, Sango in Nigeria's Yorubaland was the third king of Oyo but became second king after his elder brother was accused of being weak to defend his developing kingdom against Owu, which; is a cousin brother's kingdom, with a ruthless ideology in the beginning,that seeking tributary from Oyo. So, kindly posit information as near oral account even if there is pinch of errors. Perhaps,can you back Oyo up with vassal states paying tributaries to Sango when Oyo was an Empire in 12th century ?
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by lawani: 3:29pm On May 16, 2020
Olu317:
This information of yours isn't accurate because Oyo was not an Empire during Sango time. Are you even aware the strongest Yoruba kingdom was Owu(Onipole/Ipole axis ? But Owu dwindle after Oyo became the toast of all Yoruba emigrants due to trade route from all Yoruba enclave. And when it was sacked by Nupe war mongers ,which Oyo as a whole move to Nikki, Igboho before massive military establishment outfit to defeat Nupe warriors and her leaders to reestablished Oyo as a kingdom before she became Empire in 17th century . So, Sango in Nigeria was the third king but became second king after his elder brother was accused of being weak to defend his developing kingdom against Owu, which; a cousin brother's kingdom, with a ruthless ideology in the beginning seeking tributary. So, kindly posit information as near oral accoun even there is pinch of errors. Perhaps,can you back Oyo up with vassal states paying tributaries to Sango when Oyo was an Empire in 12th century ?
but it was during sango's time that ede was established. I think sango was an emperor not mere head of a city state.

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by RedboneSmith(m): 5:03pm On May 16, 2020
lawani:

Don't listen to me. Listen to your own historians - Usman Aribidesi and Toyin Falola.

Oyo was still small during Sango's time. Certainly not an empire yet.

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 5:28pm On May 16, 2020
Christistruth00:

From Sir Alfred Maloney

At what year was benin under oyo rule and at what year did they leave
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by AreaFada2: 7:30pm On May 16, 2020
gregyboy:

At what year was benin under oyo rule and at what year did they leave

Abeg leave that guy with his Osogbo weed. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Amusat laleye Dusin Kidnapped In Osun / Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? / What Are The Chances Of Success For An Arranged Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.