Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,981 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. (14271 Views)

The Kingdom Of Benin Was A Massive Slave Trader / The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 12:21pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Why is it not Ogiso of Benin. Why Oba of Benin?
Kindly tell me

No, the Oba of Benins source is Benin empire !
Yoruba don't have Oba, you borrowed the title from the Oba of Benin.

Receive sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh2Tac1gNPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8flCwvoAU

Also please help me locate the following things:

1) Bight of ife
2) Bight of oyo
3) Bight of Yoruba
4) ife Republic
5) oyo Republic
6) Yoruba Republic
7) oyo bronze

The emperor of Benin empire is titled:
OMO N'OBA N'EDO. Oba in short.

In the precolonial era, Yoruba chiefs didn't refer to themselves as "Oba". Rather they referred to themselves as ooni, alafin...
In the colonial era Yoruba chiefs started naming themselves in the following manner: "ooni of ife, sir adeyemi", "alafin of oyo, sir adetoye"...
Notice the introduction of two non Yoruba words: "of" and "sir".
The "sir" is a word from English nobility which the yorubas borrowed from the British in order to add some prestige to their titles.

However, later in the colonial era, the Yoruba dropped the word "sir" and replaced it with the word "Oba", yet an other non Yoruba word.

The word Oba belongs to Benin empire, it is how Benin empire calls it's emperor as witnessed by European visitors in the middle ages.

Basically, Yoruba copy other tribes a lot:
2) emir from Fulani
3) "sir" from the British
1) Oba from Benin

Even some Benin traditional swords were copied by the Yoruba.

You guys like to imitate other people's cultures, face this fact and move on.

Rather than claiming what is actually yours (illorin) you are too busy trying to claim the emperor of Benin empire as a "random Yoruba Oba".
Well it is good to dream, but reality says otherwise.
When you copy other people's titles you should say thank you to the people, not turn around to claim those peoples king belongs to you.

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

I'm Igbo to tell the truth....why did the first Oba of Benin from Ife?
The first Oba of Benin didn't come from ife.
Ask logical questions, not mischievous ones which trick the person whom is answering into accepting something you are claiming without proof.

If you were a honest person, you would have framed it this way: did the first Oba of Benin come from ife ?
And the answer is: NO !
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Why is it not Ogiso of Benin. Why Oba of Benin?
Kindly tell me
Ogiso is a myth, a made up story.
The title of the emperor has always been Omo n'Oba n'Edo. Oba in short.

That is where the Yoruba adopted the word "Oba" from:

[

In the precolonial era, Yoruba chiefs didn't refer to themselves as "Oba". Rather they referred to themselves as ooni, alafin...
In the colonial era Yoruba chiefs started naming themselves in the following manner: "ooni of ife, sir adeyemi", "alafin of oyo, sir adetoye"...
The "sir" is a word from English nobility which the yorubas borrowed from the British in order to add some prestige to their titles.

However, later in the colonial era, the Yoruba dropped the word "sir" and replaced it with the word "Oba", yet an other non Yoruba word.

The word Oba belongs to Benin empire, it is how Benin empire calls it's emperor as witnessed by European visitors in the middle ages.

2) emir from Fulani
1) Oba from Benin

]
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 12:40pm On May 26, 2020
The fact is Yoruba copy other cultures a lot, Benin culture is just one of those cultures copied by the yorubas, although it (Benin culture) is by far the most copied culture by the yorubas.
Look at even the dress which the ooni of ife wears: it is a copy of that of the king of the Ashanti.
The ooni of ife's helmet is a copy of that statue which was dug up in ife. Before the statue was dug up, the ooni of ife was never spotted with that helmet or anything like it.

The Yoruba culture revolves around copying others.
Even amongst themselves they copy a lot.
Tell me how old is the oldest costume of the ooni of ife: I am guessing less than 40 years.
That of the Oba of Benin is several hundred years old.

Look even at how the Yoruba earlier copied the word "sir" into their titles ...
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 12:44pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

[

2) emir from Fulani
1) Oba from Benin

]
Ogiso a made up story and we still have the reminants of Ogiso unto this day in Benin?

All Yoruba kings are Oba and all Oba have title of their kingdom.

Again why did the first Oba of Benin came from Ife?

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 12:46pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

[

2) emir from Fulani
1) Oba from Benin

]
Ogiso means king in Benin...stop lying

Why is Oranmiyan from Ife? He was the person that founded Oba in Benin

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 12:48pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

Ask logical questions, not mischievous ones which trick the person whom is answering into accepting something you are claiming without proof.

If you were a honest person, you would have framed it this way: did the first Oba of Benin come from ife ?
Who was the first Oba pls?

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Ogiso a made up story and we still have the reminants of Ogiso unto this day in Benin?

What you are saying doesn't make any sense.
If you can prove that there was ever a person titled ogiso whom was ruling Benin empire then do so.
Blindly claiming that "there are remnants of ogiso in Benin up to today" is just a sentence with no sense and it presupposes two things:

1) that you have allegedly proven that there was once a ruler of Benin empire titled ogiso (and we all know you have no such proof, because ogiso is a fairytale)

2) that there is someone claiming to be an ogiso and you have proof he is right ( well this one supposes you have proven the first one and supposes you have scientifically verified the tales of the claimant, and we both know no such thing happened)

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 12:52pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

All Yoruba kings are Oba and all Oba have title of their kingdom.

You seem to lack comprehension skills. That all Yoruba monarchs call themselves Oba today is not the question, it is rather when did they start calling themselves Oba and whom did they copy that title from.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 12:55pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Again why did the first Oba of Benin came from Ife?

Answer already given:

Ghostwon651:

[

2) emir from Fulani
1) Oba from Benin

]

Ghostwon651:

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 12:56pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Who was the first Oba pls?
Nobody knows, because nobody who could write was there to witness even the date the first Oba of Benin was crowned. That might be several thousand years ago.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 12:58pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Why is Oranmiyan from Ife? He was the person that founded Oba in Benin

Oranmiyan, oduduwa, ogiso are all myths. They are made up stories. In Europe children above 13 are considered too old to believe these kinds of stories which are in the santa clause, Hercules, superman category.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 1:03pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

Nobody knows, because nobody who could write was there to witness even the date the first Oba of Benin was crowned. That might be several thousand years ago.
How could you say nobody knows? If nobody knows that means anybody can just become a king in Benin.

Yoruba people and Oba of Benin palace knows their history.

My advice for you,

Go and read Oba Coronation speech

Go to Benin palace to be well grounded in the history of Benin.

Go to Ooni of Ife palace to learn about the history of Benin. They have kept it.

Go to Olu of warri they will tell u history

Avoid posting comment since you seems not to know anything in Benin

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 1:04pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

Oranmiyan, oduduwa, ogiso are all myths. They are made up stories. In Europe children above 13 are considered too old to believe these kinds of stories which are in the santa clause, Hercules, superman category.
Made up story by your Edo people right?

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:05pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

This might be your dumbest comment yet, ogiso is a made up name. Made up for a myth.
Listen to logics.
Also I don't rely on lies contrary to you guys.
I rely on facts and logics.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

How could you say nobody knows? If nobody knows that means anybody can just become a king in Benin.

An other false logics.
In Benin empire, only the first surviving son of the king has claim to the crown.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 1:07pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

What you are saying doesn't make any sense.
If you can prove that there was ever a person titled ogiso whom was ruling Benin empire then do so.
Blindly claiming that "there are remnants of ogiso in Benin up to today" is just a sentence with no sense and it presupposes two things:

1) that you have allegedly proven that there was once a ruler of Benin empire titled ogiso (and we all know you have no such proof, because ogiso is a fairytale)

2) that there is someone claiming to be an ogiso and you have proof he is right ( well this one supposes you have proven the first one and supposes you have scientifically verified the tales of the claimant, and we both know no such thing happened)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/guardian.ng/features/ogiso-and-ogiamien-are-aborigine-binis-while-oba-of-benin-is-of-yoruba-descent-high-chief-esotericist-monday-wehere/

Have provided you a link...go and read Ogiemen history of Benin..first
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Go to Ooni of Ife palace to learn about the history of Benin. They have kept it.

You are really not a logical person, you seem to not be aware of the fact that:

1) your ooni of ife's palace was built by the British
2) your precolonial oonis of ife and their entourage couldn't write (so in what form would your non existent palace of a small village named ife have kept the history of a great empire called Benin).
Rather all you are doing is trying to impose ife as an authority on the history of Benin. That is not only illogical, it is also theft of culture.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:13pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/guardian.ng/features/ogiso-and-ogiamien-are-aborigine-binis-while-oba-of-benin-is-of-yoruba-descent-high-chief-esotericist-monday-wehere/

Have provided you a link...go and read Ogiemen history of Benin..first
As I said, you have no logics.
You have provided a link to the claims of a person.
Problem is: those claims are not only unsubstantiated, but also illogical.
What you have is a known fraudster making claims without proof.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Go to Olu of warri they will tell u history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zK2bsZhPIo
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Go and read Oba Coronation speech

Go to Benin palace to be well grounded in the history of Benin

And the Oba's palace says the first ooni of ife was a Benin exiled prince.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Avoid posting comment since you seems not to know anything in Benin
Can you hear yourself ?
You are a yoruba discussing Benin history on which you know nothing as I keep proving that to you. And you are telling me, an Edo to stop discussing Benin history ?
This is quite upside down, so you should be allowed to discuss my ancestors with your illogical and ignorant claims and pro-yoruba lies, while I should not be allowed to discuss my own ancestors ?!

There is something wrong with your brain.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 1:26pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

As I said, you have no logics.
You have provided a link to the claims of a person.
Problem is: those claims are not only unsubstantiated, but also illogical.
What you have is a known fraudster making claims without proof.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.legit.ng/amp/832915-controversy-crown-prince-eheneden-erediuwa-tenant-benin-kingdom.html

Another one

Keep denying your history yearly but the truth will come out some day

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 1:28pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

Can you hear yourself ?
You are a yoruba discussing Benin history on which you know nothing as I keep proving that to you. And you are telling me, an Edo to stop discussing Benin history ?
This is quite upside down, so you should be allowed to discuss my ancestors with your illogical and ignorant claims and pro-yoruba lies, while I should not be allowed to discuss my own ancestors ?!

There is something wrong with your brain.

I'm not a Yoruba just an intermediary between both of you.
Your first Oba is from Ife. Oba of Benin said it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.legit.ng/amp/832915-controversy-crown-prince-eheneden-erediuwa-tenant-benin-kingdom.html

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Another one

Keep denying your history yearly but the truth will come out some day

I can also provide countless links of claims that the earth is flat, that doesn't make the earth to be flat, or does it ?
You have refused to upgrade your brain to the standard which is expected in even teenagers in Europe.
You can't think properly.
As I have told you, the ogiamien guy is a 419 claiming things with no proof.
Rather than proving his claims which you seem very attached to, you are just posting several links about his claims.
Well, I don't blame you, you are dumb.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Your first Oba is from Ife. Oba of Benin said it

So you agree the first ooni of ife is from Benin ?
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 1:33pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

And the Oba's palace says the first ooni of ife was a Benin exiled prince.
You're now talking...fact will reveal itself soon

Then what happened after that.....his grandson came back to recaptured Benin?

Ogiamen family are alive and well till today with the aboriginal story
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:34pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Who voted you intermediary ?
I saw you earlier falsely claiming to be igbo.
The only thing which can be proven about you is that you are a liar.
And by the laws of probability you are yoruba (given your fanatic defense of illogical and debunked pro-yoruba propaganda)
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:36pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

You're now talking...fact will reveal itself soon

Then what happened after that.....his grandson came back to recaptured Benin?

I asked you a question: do you accept that the first ooni of ife is from Benin ?
Are you dodging that question ?
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 1:37pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

So you agree the first ooni of ife is from Benin ?

Ooni of Ife palace refused that claims.....nobody in the South west accept that story of Oduduwa from Benin. Is a foolish story.

Oduduwa great grandson coined the word Bini after Oduduwa long dead.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Ogiamen family are alive and well till today with the aboriginal story
You keep making false logics.
Ogiamien is still a well known 419 and his claims are still unproven, unsubstantiated yet you keep acting as if they were proven.
The fact is ogismien's claims go your way, so you put no scrutiny upon them, rather you promote them as gospel truth.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 1:43pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

Who voted you intermediary ?
I saw you earlier falsely claiming to be igbo.
The only thing which can be proven about you is that you are a liar.
And by the laws of probability you are yoruba (given your fanatic defense of illogical and debunked pro-yoruba propaganda)
Have told you not all igbos will joint to claim Oba came from Benin.
There are well informed Igbo.

I used my source to guess the truth

I learn a lot from the Ogieamen family (Aborigines of Benin videos on YouTube)

Oba of Benin coronations speech where he recognized Oranmiyan as the first Oba of Benin.
I read Ife people's account of Benin.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Moremi Ajasoro: Who Is Olugbo To Deserve A Response? / Igala Affinity: ‘IFA’ Is The Connecting Link Of Original Nigerians – Attah / Update From The Burial Of Emir Of Lafia, Isa Mustafa [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.