Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,216 members, 7,811,602 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. (14298 Views)

The Kingdom Of Benin Was A Massive Slave Trader / The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Ooni of Ife palace refused that claims.....nobody in the South west accept that story of Oduduwa from Benin. Is a foolish story.

Oduduwa great grandson coined the word Bini after Oduduwa long dead.
So you want to chose which part of the Benin story people should believe.

You earlier said I should believe oranmiyan existed and established Oba title in Benin empire because the Oba of Benin said so in his coronation speech. But you also don't want me to believe the first ooni of ife was from Benin even though the Oba of Benin said "the first ooni if ife is from Benin" in his coronation speech.

Can you understand your madness here ?

These myths have really turned Yoruba heads upside down.

3 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

I used my source to guess the truth

You seem to be in the business of guessing rather than in the business of reasoning.
These stories are stories, made up, not witnessed.
But you are not smart enough to realize this.
You have an incredible pro-yoruba bias. Indeed while making false logics, your false reasonings are always in favour of the Yoruba.
It actually makes no difference if you were Yoruba or not, all that matters is:
1) you are wrong.
2) You are not reasoning properly
3) you have an extreme pro-yoruba bias
4) ogiamien is a 419 telling unsubstantiated stories which fool only your ilks.

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 2:27pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

How could you say nobody knows? If nobody knows that means anybody can just become a king in Benin.

Yoruba people and Oba of Benin palace knows their history.

My advice for you,

Go and read Oba Coronation speech

Go to Benin palace to be well grounded in the history of Benin.

Go to Ooni of Ife palace to learn about the history of Benin. They have kept it.

Go to Olu of warri they will tell u history

Avoid posting comment since you seems not to know anything in Benin

The question when did oduduwa reign what year

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by gregyboy(m): 2:31pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

I'm not a Yoruba just an intermediary between both of you.
Your first Oba is from Ife. Oba of Benin said it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.legit.ng/amp/832915-controversy-crown-prince-eheneden-erediuwa-tenant-benin-kingdom.html

U b yoruba ewu.......

No your first ooni by eweka11 came from benin and was named oduduwa which became the first ooni of ife.....

Can you prove it wrong........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Mraphel: 2:51pm On May 26, 2020
Ghostwon651:

You seem to be in the business of guessing rather than in the business of reasoning.
These stories are stories, made up, not witnessed.
But you are not smart enough to realize this.
You have an incredible pro-yoruba bias. Indeed while making false logics, your false reasonings are always in favour of the Yoruba.
It actually makes no difference if you were Yoruba or not, all that matters is:
1) you are wrong.
2) You are not reasoning properly
3) you have an extreme pro-yoruba bias
4) ogiamien is a 419 telling unsubstantiated stories which fool only your ilks.
Your people were conquered by the Yoruba's bro.

Oba palace never dispute ogiemen history

All Edo history have read includes Ogiemen history

4 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

Your people were conquered by the Yoruba's bro.

Anybody can make any claim including the claim that the earth is flat, a claim becomes serious only when it is proven. This claim of yours is unproven.
Actually, precolonial maps show most of the land in the southwest as being part of Benin empire, this proves the opposite of your claim.

Historical records show the yorubas as not being one people but being several including some Dahomey people, oyo people, Ijebu people and slave returnees from Brazil and some brainwashed southwestern Edo people.
But anyway unlike you, I am not here for supremacy battle. You are clearly here to claim supremacy for yorubas even though you keep illogically claiming you are not yoruba.

You have made all sorts of illogical statements. And it seems you have no shame to speak from a position of ignorance and bad reasoning.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:

All Edo history have read includes Ogiemen history

Talking to you is a lot like talking to a retard who refuses to see reason out of arrogance.

1) you confuse story with history. So you don't actually know the meaning of the word "history".
2) perhaps you need to broaden your library
3) perhaps you need to broaden your brain capacity.
4) You need to learn how to reason logically.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Etinosa1234: 4:28pm On May 26, 2020
Mraphel:
Why is it not Ogiso of Benin. Why Oba of Benin? Kindly tell me
why is it owa of ilesha
and who told u that Oba is a Yoruba word
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Nobody: 9:33am On May 27, 2020
Ghostwon651:
The fact is Yoruba copy other cultures a lot, Benin culture is just one of those cultures copied by the yorubas, although it (Benin culture) is by far the most copied culture by the yorubas.
Look at even the dress which the ooni of ife wears: it is a copy of that of the king of the Ashanti.
The ooni of ife's helmet is a copy of that statue which was dug up in ife. Before the statue was dug up, the ooni of ife was never spotted with that helmet or anything like it.

The Yoruba culture revolves around copying others.
Even amongst themselves they copy a lot.
Tell me how old is the oldest costume of the ooni of ife: I am guessing less than 40 years.
That of the Oba of Benin is several hundred years old.

Look even at how the Yoruba earlier copied the word "sir" into their titles ...
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by YauYamba: 3:25pm On May 27, 2020
Even the Igbos have eventually realized that the Binis are remorseless liars. grin cheesy

Case closed. My efforts eventually payed off. Binis have been exposed! grin

4 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Etinosa1234: 12:28am On May 29, 2020
YauYamba:
[s]Even the Igbos have eventually realized that the Binis are remorseless liars. grin cheesy

Case closed. My efforts eventually payed off. Binis have been exposed! grin[/s]
wic Igbo...

All the claims law.ani made is also documented the UN article ryt??

u guys are the clear bunch of liars

when u believed that oduduwa came from the sky... I'm not too surprised

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Olu317(m): 6:00pm On May 29, 2020
TAO11:

As requested, please refer to the 1st attachment for the relevant documention of the French father in the year 1640.

The 2nd attachment is from page 209 of Professor R.C.C Law's "Ethnicity and the Slave Trade".

In this article, Professor R.C.C. Law also cites the French Father's 1640 documention of the fact that the Yoruba language was a lingua-franca in Benin Kingdom.

[See the 2nd red highlight of the 2nd attachment for this].

Interestingly, the Spanish Jesuit, Alonso de Sandoval also documents, in the 1600s, that even the palace administration of the whole Kingdom of Benin was via Yoruba language.

[See the 1st red highlight of the 1st attachment for this].
I need this book though preferred if it is on PDF.

Asap inform me if you do have the link.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 6:32pm On May 29, 2020
Olu317:
I need this book though preferred if it is on PDF.

Asap inform me if you do have the link.

You're just fooling yourself bro
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Olu317(m): 3:45pm On May 30, 2020
Edeyoung:

You're just fooling yourself bro
Lol! Well, I don't have such strength to engage you even if you feel bitter about it. I am a writer and information is highly power, especially such as the one TAO11 displayed on Bini,using Yoruba language as a Franca Lingua in the King's palace. . It is only a reminder that Bini is a Yoruba land,which was created from Igodomigodo.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 5:45pm On May 30, 2020
Olu317:
Lol! Well, I don't have such strength to engage you even if you feel bitter about it. I am a writer and information is highly power, especially such as the one TAO11 displayed on Bini,using Yoruba language as a Franca Lingua in the King's palace. . It is only a reminder that Bini is a Yoruba land,which was created from Igodomigodo.

We need her post the book here.... For all to see

We have no connection with yorubas rather than
Civilizing them
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by bright007(f): 9:12pm On May 30, 2020
Olu317:

Land grabbers from the west, Ilorin is still in the hands of Fulani. Go grab that first.

After all the evidence here that Yoruba were slaves in ancient Benin kingdom, you are still here propagating falsehood.

It doesn't matter how many of you are here for this propaganda, the truth must prevail

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Etinosa1234: 2:52pm On Jun 01, 2020
Olu317:
[s]Lol! Well, I don't have such strength to engage you even if you feel bitter about it. I am a writer and information is highly power, especially such as the one TAO11 displayed on Bini,using Yoruba language as a Franca Lingua in the King's palace. . It is only a reminder that Bini is a Yoruba land,which was created from Igodomigodo. [/s]

U claim to be a writer but ur thinking is highly illogical...

I know say u go dey part of Lagos-ibadan expressway writers...Na so dem dey talk
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Olu317(m): 4:35pm On Jun 01, 2020
bright007:

Land grabbers from the west, Ilorin is still in the hands of Fulani. Go grab that first.

After all the evidence here that Yoruba were slaves in ancient Benin kingdom, you are still here propagating falsehood.

It doesn't matter how many of you are here for this propaganda, the truth must prevail
Babe, Obviously you're attention seeker and you got my attention. But inform us on Biniland that was at the mercy of Ogedegbe Agbogun gboro in late 18th century. So, what is it to grab ? .

The Biniland that's not bigger than the whole of Ogun state is where Yoruba wants to grab. A land that does not even have natural resource to tap into . i just wonder what you mean as land grabbers! Trust me, I don't have time fo this kind of matter that's baseless.

4 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 7:39pm On Jun 01, 2020
Olu317:
Babe, Obviously you're attention seeker and you got my attention. But inform us on Biniland that was at the mercy of Ogedegbe Agbogun gboro in late 18th century. So, what is it to grab ? .

The Biniland that's not bigger than the whole of Ogun state is where Yoruba wants to grab. A land that does not even have natural resource to tap into . i just wonder what you mean as land grabbers! Trust me, I don't have time fo this kind of matter that's baseless.

Start getting your fact right land grabbers edo state is bigger than ogun state you tribal bigot
Edo state is the third biggest state in Southern nigeria and we got oil and gas
In terms of natural resources no joke. no south western state can be in competition with edo...
If we are to select each south west state one one after the other against edo state they wont be a match anywere near Edo.....

We still waiting for TAO11 book

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 7:37pm On Jun 03, 2020
Edeyoung:

Start getting your fact right land grabbers edo state is bigger than ogun state you tribal bigot
Edo state is the third biggest state in Southern nigeria and we got oil and gas
In terms of natural resources no joke. no south western state can be in competition with edo...
If we are to select each south west state one one after the other against edo state they wont be a match anywere near Edo.....

We still waiting for TAO11 book

https://www.nairaland.com/5761595/benin-kingdom-edo-state-remained/49#90245051

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by MetaPhysical: 2:32am On Jun 04, 2020
Edeyoung:

We need her post the book here.... For all to see

We have no connection with yorubas rather than
Civilizing them

Yoruba has never claimed to have connection with Edo.

We told you we own you!

Ownership of your land is different from a fraternal link with you.

In other words, Bini belong to Yoruba and Bini is a suzerain over Edo.

Why are you asking for that quotations to be put here? Do you doubt what TAO said?

Do you doubt what RC Law said?

We own you, end of talk!

3 Likes

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by MetaPhysical: 2:33am On Jun 04, 2020
Olu317:

They have witchery! grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by MetaPhysical: 2:38am On Jun 04, 2020
TAO12:

https://www.nairaland.com/5761595/benin-kingdom-edo-state-remained/49#90245051

You are wicked!
I already told you. grin

You have completely humiliated and destroyed all the Edo witchery and mouth in front of the whole world.

Even Ibos that once had no clue to face them now have a full collection of materials to flog Edo with.

...and you did it singlehandedly.

Mmmtchheww, I bow for you!

Edos go and gather your witchery jujus and all your elders and birds and night broomstick flyers ....gather here and surrender your brromstick and otumokpor. Your witchery has been defeated!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 7:13am On Jun 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

We told you we own you!

Why are you asking for that quotations to be put here? Do you doubt what TAO said?

We own you, end of talk!

We civilized you guys and gave you clothes thought you all our worship even sold you as slaves...

You all came to trade with the whitemen at the benin river from your vsrious location were the oba laws fully influenced you......

You're lesving in dreams copy copy tribe
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Edeyoung: 7:20am On Jun 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

We told you we own you!

We own you, end of talk!

https://www.nairaland.com/5894619/benin-influence-yorubas
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 1:39pm On Jun 04, 2020
Edeyoung:

https://www.nairaland.com/5894619/benin-influence-yorubas

I like to inform you that at that link, I have alluded to the historical fact of how Ibadan sigle-handedly raided Benin Kingdom for slaves and also sacked many territories of Benin Kingdom.

I hope this helps kill your bigotry!

Note: The attached is a page from the late R.E. Bradbury -- the foremost authority on Benin Kingdom.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by MetaPhysical: 1:55pm On Jun 04, 2020
Edeyoung:

We civilized you guys and gave you clothes thought you all our worship even sold you as slaves...

You all came to trade with the whitemen at the benin river from your vsrious location were the oba laws fully influenced you......

Come and tell us about clothes.

Tell us clothing styles, dyeing arts, weaving styles and cultures you Edo people traded clothes with.
Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by Olu317(m): 6:12pm On Jun 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

They have witchery! grin grin cheesy
Hahaha. Indeed you're right. Are you aware vulture don't fly on over Bini land grin cheesy ?

1 Like

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 7:06pm On Jun 04, 2020
Edeyoung:

Even as at the late-1890s/early-1900s, Binis were still largely roaming the streets st@rk n@ked. European accounts document all these details. See attached. I hope this helps kill your bigotry.

Thanks to the Ijebus who brought you all clothes in unprecedentedly large quantities.

cc: MetaPhysical, Olu317

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by MetaPhysical: 8:58pm On Jun 04, 2020
TAO12:

Even as at the late-1890s/early-1900s, Binis were still largely roaming the streets st@rk n@ked. European accounts document all these details. See attached. I hope this helps kill your bigotry.

Thanks to the Ijebus who brought you all clothes in unprecedentedly large quantities.

cc: MetaPhysical, Olu317

TAO,
God bless you!

We have not given Ijebu people their dues. There are records crediting Ijebu people as the origin of clothing and weave designs all over bights of benin and biafra. Their designs went as far as Calabar.

Just by studying Ijebu clothing and its distribution on the coast it also touches on the culture of Ogboni shoulder drape and certain patterns and motifs. Which should debunk the claim of gregyboy on Ogboni origin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO12: 9:40pm On Jun 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:

TAO,
God bless you!

We have not given Ijebu people their dues. There are records crediting Ijebu people as the origin of clothing and weave designs all over bights of benin and biafra. Their designs went as far as Calabar.

Just by studying Ijebu clothing and its distribution on the coast it also touches on the culture of Ogboni shoulder drape and certain patterns and motifs. Which should debunk the claim of gregyboy on Ogboni origin.

He is such a joke about his claim on Ogboni.

And you're correct, brother, about the Ijebus' "shoulder drape". It is called "Shàkì". It is used by the awos as part of their regalia.

I'm quite ?certain that it is unique to the Ijebus' awos (Ijebu's Ogboni, etc.) -- at least from what I know of their regalia.

I am more acquainted (first hand) with the practices found among the Ijebu communities of Lagos particularly.

And by the way, the Ogboni group is known among Ijebus (of both Lagos and Ogun) by the alternative name: "Òshùgbó".

The origin of Ogboni is well embedded even in the salutations/greetings of the Oshugbos (Ogbonis).

An Oshugbo (Ogboni) member greets another memeber by saying:

"Oshugbo re agbalagba Ufe" [roughly translates: "Behold Oshugbo -- the elder-sage of Ife"].

And the member replies saying:

"Ogbo-Ato" [roughly translates: "May you live long with sound health"].

In the Ogboni's greeting, it is super clear that its origin is clearly acknowledged to be Ife.

This is universal!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. by TAO11(f): 1:34am On Jun 05, 2020

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Understanding Female Circumcision And Its Effect On The Girl Child / Is Kwale A Town Or Tribe? Pls Clarify Me / What Is Christmas In Your Native Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.