Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,912 members, 7,814,079 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada (2339 Views)

FAAN To Ban Bribe Takers From Working At Nigerian Airports / What Nigerians Travelling To Dubai Are Going Through At Cotonou Airport / My Brother Abeg Leave Emeka, You Don't Know What He's Going Through (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by bamangar: 8:10am On May 14, 2020
A Nigerian man on Twitter @ozorcchristian narrates what his friend who works in a call centre in Canada is going through and how Karma is catching up with him.

According to him

Call Centre Agents are really trying. A friend who relocated to Canada & works in a call centre was narrating his work challenges to me. He said some callers are so rude to him! Several were outrightly racist when they notice he doesn't speak with American or Canadian accent.
Sometimes he won't want to go to work for fear of being yelled at over his African accent & being called "dummy" multiple times.
I laughed as he narrated, though felt for him. But i reminded him of how he used to threaten & abuse MTN and Airtel call Agents when he was in Nigeria.

He once threatened a female Airtel call centre agent that he will send Ogun to strike her and the entire staff of Airtel Nigeria if they don't return the N73 they deducted from her account.

Being a call center Agent anywhere in the world is not easy. You get to be yelled at and insulted by customers. I salute the courage of all agents who encounter diverse kinds of people daily on the cause of their duty.

@ozorcchristian

1 Share

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by Betakeshi: 8:17am On May 14, 2020
Ok

1 Like

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by DaddyGngeess(m): 8:19am On May 14, 2020
You just have to be professional if not you yell at me I yell at you back..
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by Nobody: 8:23am On May 14, 2020
DaddyGngeess:
Then you don't need that job again cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by DaddyGngeess(m): 8:30am On May 14, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

Then you don't need that job again cool

That is exactly what I meant by been professional. I don't take shit like that it has happen to me before when I was working in Madrid many years ago, with annoyance I had to pull off my overall and throwed it to my boss and leave the work. I only work there for just three days,

1 Like

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by James4bright(m): 8:36am On May 14, 2020
So you could actually get a call agent job with a heavy African accent? That's absurd.

Not everything is necessarily racist, some people are just assholes. We all insult calls agents here in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by Nobody: 8:36am On May 14, 2020
DaddyGngeess:

That is exactly what I meant by been professional. I don't take shit like that it has happen to me before when I was working in Madrid many years ago, with annoyance I had to pull off my overall and throwed it to my boss and leave the work. I only work there for just three days,
We stay calm and cool
To achieve our goals
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by DaddyGngeess(m): 8:39am On May 14, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

We stay calm and cool
To achieve our goals

You are right 100%, then my blood was very hot, ever since that day,I never work for anyone again in my life..
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by Nobody: 8:41am On May 14, 2020
DaddyGngeess:

You are right 100%, then my blood was very hot, ever since that day,I never work for anyone again in my life..
How is life in Madrid bro
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by DaddyGngeess(m): 8:44am On May 14, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

How is life in Madrid bro

I have quit Europe since 2014, I am in Nigeria now.
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by James4bright(m): 8:53am On May 14, 2020
DaddyGngeess:

Like Nigeria is any better?
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by DaddyGngeess(m): 9:00am On May 14, 2020
James4bright:

Like Nigeria is any better?

My brother you don't need to ask me that question because you don't know anything about me, I have travelled and leaved in almost all the countries in Europe since 1999, I am done, I am ok, so I am good here..

1 Like

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by James4bright(m): 9:13am On May 14, 2020
DaddyGngeess:

My brother you don't need to ask me that question because you don't know anything about me, I have travelled and leaved in almost all the countries in Europe since 1999, I am done, I am ok, so I am good here..

Okay bro. I hope you've made the right decision.
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by Nobody: 9:18am On May 14, 2020
DaddyGngeess:

I understand bro
But please take another chance again
And find a suitable country to go
There's possiblity that thing will not be substantial in Nigeria in the next 20yrs

3 Likes

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by DaddyGngeess(m): 9:26am On May 14, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

I understand bro
There's possiblity that thing will not be substantial in Nigeria in the next 20yrs

I have invested in Nigeria already so can't leave my business, the only thing I can be doing now is go and buy goods and bring it to Nigeria which I have been doing since also, six of my brothers are in different parts of European countries. In life if you wanna grow you must learn and know how to invest very well, Europe doesn't really give us that kind of opportunity, is all work work or you indulge yourself in bad business

2 Likes

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by Nobody: 9:48am On May 14, 2020
DaddyGngeess:

I have invested in Nigeria already so can't leave my business, the only thing I can be doing now is go and buy goods and bring it to Nigeria which I have been doing since also, six of my brothers are in different parts of European countries. In life if you wanna grow you must learn and know how to invest very well, Europe doesn't really give us that kind of opportunity, is all work work or you indulge yourself in bad business
You're right am just curious to leave this poo-hole
Back then when you travel did you process it yourself or through an agent
If it's through an agent do you still have the link

1 Like

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by DaddyGngeess(m): 10:07am On May 14, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

You're right am just curious to leave this poo-hole
Back then when you travel did you process it yourself or through an agent
If it's through an agent do you still have the link

Those days traveling was easy, we were using resemblance, I did everything myself, later self we started renting residents permit too, na you can only travel with visas. Where do you wanna travel to?

1 Like

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by Nobody: 10:10am On May 14, 2020
James4bright:
So you could actually get a call agent job with a heavy African accent? That's absurd.

Not everything is necessarily racist, some people are just assholes. We all insult calls agents here in Nigeria.
call centers are also outsourced to india. So people in canada are used to foreign accents. Call center is one of the jobs many new migrants to canada start with.
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by James4bright(m): 10:41am On May 14, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

I understand bro

My Uncle that did his Master's in Italy back then, but felt Nigeria was a better place to reside. He is now vulnerable now and dragging little plots of land with his younger brothers.

Nigeria economy is too harsh for a sustainable business growth, anything could happen and you'd be vulnerable again.

Why do you think high salary earners are even migrating too? This shithole would only get worse.
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by DrPurple(m): 11:05am On May 14, 2020
Every Job has it own Palaver jare
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by meobizy(f): 1:17pm On May 14, 2020
My friend who did such a job in Nigeria found it a walk in the park. He said it was mostly lonely people who called to voice problems in their personal lives. He claimed the work was no different from a DJ's special request show and reveled deeply in beating around the bush to dissuade callers wanting compensation for lost data and/or credit.

The guy in Canada should sign up to this forum where he can unleash all the stored up retorts in the form of comments here. Some idiotic posters deserve the names he can think up.
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 14, 2020
DaddyGngeess:

Those days traveling was easy, we were using resemblance, I did everything myself, later self we started renting residents permit too, na you can only travel with visas. Where do you wanna travel to?
Netherlands but a family relative who is in USA suggest I should go to USA
But I don't like USA Netherlands as being on my mind since 2015
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by Nobody: 2:21pm On May 14, 2020
James4bright:

My Uncle that did his Master's in Italy back then, but felt Nigeria was a better place to reside. He is now vulnerable now and dragging little plots of land with his younger brothers.

Nigeria economy is too harsh for a sustainable business growth, anything could happen and you'd be vulnerable again.

Why do you think high salary earners are even migrating too? This shithole would only get worse.
Bro I swear with my left balls you are 1 million % correct
You won't believe our neighbor is a bank manager in Polaris Bank and she still travel to New Jersey with her husband and two kids
Life in Nigeria is very much soft for them O
I don't know why they left Nigeria
Despite the good living here exotic cars
Fine house here in niaja
Infact their house top all the house in this street

Now tell me even the rich are leaving the shithole
We niggar also are trying hard to leave
Na just 800K dey hook me if I see am today
Am leaving this poo-hole by November

2 Likes

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by salford1: 2:25pm On May 14, 2020
DaddyGngeess:
Yes. Not being professional leads to termination lol.
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by salford1: 2:30pm On May 14, 2020
Kekereekun123:
call centers are also outsourced to india. So people in canada are used to foreign accents. Call center is one of the jobs many new migrants to canada start with.
People in Canada are more used to India accents than any other. They will easily understand an Indian accent, but African accents are very new to them, they are still learning it.

In the UK, those ones understand both African and Indian accents. Africans have been in London for a very longtime. Some people from London for example would prefer to speak with an African or Indian on the phone than say someone from Liverpool.

In addition, Not all Canadian centres are outsourced. From my experience, Scotiabank's call centre is in Canada. Shaw too is in Canada - somewhere in Winnipeg, alot of Nigerians works here. If I receive a call from Shaw or I call Shaw, 5 out of 10 times, I would be speaking with a Nigerian rep. Virgin is both Canada and somewhere in the Philippines. The Philipines centres staff are trained to speak like Canadians. PC mobile has staff in South America (trained to speak like Canadians too). The call centres in India also train their staffs on how to speak like Canadians too. I watched a YouTube documentary on how Canadians are sent to India to teach them how to speak with Canadian accents before as part of their training.

2 Likes

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by rationalhuman(m): 2:46pm On May 14, 2020
There are only KPOs, Most of the Call Centers have been relocated from India to Philippines. While i was studying in India , Back in 2004 I used to go NIIT in Noida City for my Visual Basic class and on the way there were literally hundreds of dedicated High rise buildings packed with BPO/Call center offices.
All school kids who want to have some money were working in part times.

By the time i finished my University degree in 2009, They were almost gone and replaced by various IT/Software companies.
Now Indian government discourages the BPOs and there are only KPOs in India, All Indian BPO/KPO multinationals have relocated their operation to Philippines. Cost was becoming expensive in India and also those kids could better work in KPOs to learn something technical as well.
Time changes friends but not in our Continent, we are always the same here"desperate to anything".

salford1:

People in Canada are more used to India accents than any other. They will easily understand an Indian accent, but African accents are very new to them, they are still learning it.

In the UK, those ones understand both African and Indian accents. Africans have been in London for a very longtime. Some people from London for example would prefer to speak with an African or Indian on the phone than say someone from Liverpool.

In addition, Not all. Scotiabank's call centre is in Canada, Shaw too is in Canada. The call centres in India also train their staffs on how to speak like a Canadian grin
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by salford1: 2:50pm On May 14, 2020
rationalhuman:
There are only KPOs, Most of the Call Centers have been relocated from India to Philippines. While i was studying in India , Back in 2004 I used to go NIIT in Noida City for my Visual Basic class and on the way there were literally hundreds of dedicated High rise buildings packed with BPO/Call center offices.
All school kids who want to have some money were working in part times.

By the time i finished my University degree in 2009, They were almost gone and replaced by various IT/Software companies.
Now Indian government discourages the BPOs and there are only KPOs in India, All Indian BPO/KPO multinationals have relocated their operation to Philippines. Cost was becoming expensive in India and also those kids could better work in KPOs to learn something technical as well.
Time changes friends but not in our Continent, we are always the same here"desperate to anything".

This confirms my Philippines comment in my edited post above.

I had edited my post before I saw your reply.

2 Likes

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by DaddyGngeess(m): 3:03pm On May 14, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

But I don't like USA Netherlands as being on my since 2015

You wan go sell drug abi? The only job there is drug or G, or those villages you can work in tomatoes farm. No worry after everything normalize contact me, I have alot friends in netherland both relatives too.
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by DaddyGngeess(m): 3:11pm On May 14, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

But I don't like USA Netherlands as being on my since 2015

I will say it time without number, no place like Europe, if any young man has opportunity to travel I will advice him to go because it can turn your life around for good,like in my case, very poor home, today our home is rich, mumsy collects rents from houses and we where tenants b4 I travelled

2 Likes

Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 14, 2020
DaddyGngeess:

You wan go sell drug abi? The only job there is drug or G, or those villages you can work in tomatoes farm. No worry after everything normalize contact me, I have alot friends in netherland both relatives too.
No bro am not into drug and I don't do drugs
Just looking for a good country that is conducive and convenient to work then later study
Are you for real that there's no job there
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 14, 2020
DaddyGngeess:

I will say it time without number, no place like Europe, if any young man has opportunity to travel I will advice him to go because it can turn your life around for good,like in my case, very poor home, today our home is rich, mumsy collects rents from houses and we where tenants b4 I travelled
Wow that's awesome
I agree with you
Ah but bro you for no come back
Things might still be good on the other hand
Now that you are in niaja your business won't permit you to go again
Re: The Challenges He's Going Through Working At A Call Center In Canada by DaddyGngeess(m): 3:33pm On May 14, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

Wow that's awesome
I agree with you
Ah but bro you for no come back
Things might still be good on the other hand
Now that you are in niaja your business won't permit you to go again

All my life in Europe I have been on fast lane, na I have invested in Nigeria very well and is paying really good, I can comfortably travel to anywhere in the world enjoy myself and come back again.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kunle Adeyanju Biking From London To Lagos: How Did He Cross Ocean/sea Please ? / Mbari Kitchen Owerri / .xx

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.