Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,975 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player (42365 Views)

"I Want To Be Like Harry Kane And Drogba" - Osimhen / Liverpool Fans Blast Sadio Mane For Posting Shirtless Gym Photos With Hadj Diouf / Kanu Nwankwo, Essien And Drogba Pose Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by STARGREEN(m): 9:54pm On May 15, 2020
Gobengroup:

You mean Eto is ahead of
De lima Ronaldo
Romario
Henry
Gerd Muller
Marco van basten
Raul
Ferenc puskas
Eusebio
Pele
Bican
Lineker
Jimmy greaves
Fernando peyroteo
Arguably in Africa though �

Are they Africans?
Please kindly Show some respect to our African Best below in case you don't know him.

For now we have only one...Samuel Eto'o

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by OriOko88(m): 9:57pm On May 15, 2020
azukaegopeter:
I think okocha is the best striker out of Africa even if he was not given due recognition
Lol. Okocha was not a striker. He was an attacking midfielder undecided
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by OJEEMAH(m): 10:04pm On May 15, 2020
Dont always be in a haste to draw conclusion because people decide to share their opinion. just so you know, I am a die hard Arsenal fan but I still support Barcelona. I am a big fan of the Barcelona style and Messi remain my favourite player till tomorrow. They had a ready made replacement for Dinho which was Iniesta & Deco was replaced by Xavi. Barcelona wanted to discard Eto that season cos Guardiola never wanted him but didn't get a suitable offer so they kept him for that season. why do you think they had to swap with inter the following season.
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Mentorme: 10:05pm On May 15, 2020
Eto is the real deal cool
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by omonnakoda: 10:08pm On May 15, 2020
He is not even the best Cameroonian
Did he win the Nations Cup

So because those before him did not play in Europe he is better?

We need to get rid of colonial mentality.

We had great footballers in the 80s and 90s from Africa and Cameroon particularly

Messi's will always be haunted by his international failures.
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Ogooluwa007(m): 10:13pm On May 15, 2020
OJEEMAH:
In terms of achievements, no African player can match Eto's feet but the truth is Drogba was a beast. He had more impact in big games than Eto....To be honest, Eto can't survive the Chelsea team Drogba played for. Eto had opportunities to play with bigger and better players that's just the difference.
He played in Mallorca and made an impact. so keep ur honesty. Never compare Eto. He was a beast. Someone with such impact in Football is a beast. He survived in Inter Milan where he didn't play as a number 9. Don't disrespect the Africa Goat. Who is Chelsea compare to Inter Milan?

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by OJEEMAH(m): 10:14pm On May 15, 2020
Ogooluwa007:
He played in Mallorca and made an impact. so keep ur honesty. Never compare Eto. He was a beast. Someone with such impact in Football is a beast. He survived in Inter Milan where he didn't play as a number 9. Don't disrespect the Africa Goat. Who is Chelsea compare to Inter Milan?
your opinion bro. no be fight
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Ibunkun1(m): 10:21pm On May 15, 2020
ajl:
Even Diouf dey claim African best. He is just good and not consistently exceptional. I just laughed seeing his name there. Good he selected himself, and more so he did so when he was drunk. grin grin

cheesy grin,
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Tamel(m): 10:40pm On May 15, 2020
omonnakoda:

We had great footballers in the 80s and 90s from Africa and Cameroon particularly

Yes he did. He won it back to back in the year 2000 and 2002, add to that an Olympic gold medal in the year 2000 also. So yeah he won trophies for his country, Cameroon.
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by jaxxy(m): 11:49pm On May 15, 2020
Beedude:

Judging by ur comment. Modric is greater than Xavi, Iniesta, Wesley scnieder, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Henry and many other great players who didnt win Ballon d'or?

Not neccesssrily bt Possibly. And Africa is different from Europe pls.
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by EmmySparky(m): 12:17am On May 16, 2020
ecolime:
I like Drogba die but Eto'o is Africa's GOAT.

My order of preference.

1. Eto'o
2. George Weah
3. Drogba
4. J.J Okocha

Diouf na joker.
Kanu and Yaya you're sits above j.j Okocha...sentiments apart
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by DEMISOLAN(m): 12:46am On May 16, 2020
Samuel eto'o is the best among the three
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Gaskia: 12:49am On May 16, 2020
ecolime:
I like Drogba die but Eto'o is Africa's GOAT.

My order of preference.

1. Eto'o
2. George Weah
3. Drogba
4. J.J Okocha

Diouf na joker.

1. George Weah (The only player in the world to emerge World best player, European best player and African best player at the same time)

2. Eto Fils

3. Didier Drogba

4. Yaya Toure

5. J. J. Okocha

6. Roger Miller

7. Abedi Pele

8. Kanu Nwankwo

9. M. Salah

10. Finidi George
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by CuteYvonne777: 12:59am On May 16, 2020
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by shine12: 1:08am On May 16, 2020
While Drogba is your ultimate big game player.I think Etoo was more prominent in Europe and had a stellar Barcelona career and also went to Inter to dominate and also win the champions league.

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by sylve11: 2:04am On May 16, 2020
NORSYK:
Eto'o might have won more trophies due to he played with a better players but Drogba was a fighter and had never quit attitude

see talk sef undecided cool
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by lukui: 5:33am On May 16, 2020
Didn't know who eto was before. It was on the finals of Ghana/Nigeria 2000, that I knew he guy, he will just carry the ball along the wing side, bamboozle our defenders and kick a shot inside he net.

The match pained me die. Was it 5-4 or 6-5?
Then they gave the cup to Cameroon. Na okocha kill us that day, he will just be eating chewing gum and be laughing.

We have had great players in Africa, the issue is we don't value them till they are dead.

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 5:36am On May 16, 2020
Eto'o is the African GOAT.

You said he won 4 ucl!

Where & when pls?

Na only 3 i knw,
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by rhames(m): 6:21am On May 16, 2020
obembet:
Samuel Eto'o has restated his belief that he is the greatest African footballer of all time, while also taking a jab at fellow former forwards El-Hadji Diouf and Didier Drogba.

Former Liverpool forward Diouf recently claimed he was the greatest striker to ever come out of the continent, while debates over the best African players of all time tend to make mention of former Chelsea and Ivory Coast star Drogba.

The claims of both have been dismissed by ex-Cameroon international Eto'o, who says his burning desire to be the best fired him to a stellar career.

"Even if my brother Diouf the last time, with an extra glass, got a little lost, there is no debate", said Eto'o, in a reference to the Diouf video where the former Senegal international appeared a little drunk.

"None of them [Diouf and Drogba] can come and say that they were at my level or better. And it's not the fact that I say it, it's a fact, it's something that is there. I wanted to be number one and I have been throughout my career."

If based on awards during their careers, there are few players in the world - let alone Africa - who can touch the success enjoyed by Eto'o during his playing days.

He has won African Player of the Year four times, level with Yaya Toure, while Drogba and Diouf earned the award twice.

Eto'o, in a career which took him to Real Madrid, Real Mallorca, Barcelona, Inter, Chelsea, Everton and more, won a remarkable array of trophies including four Champions Leagues, three La Liga titles, two Copa del Rey trophies, a Serie A, a Coppa Italia, and the FIFA Club World Cup.

He also represented Cameroon on 118 occasions, scoring 56 goals and playing at four World Cups. He also won an Olympic gold medal in 2000, and two African Cup of Nations titles.

Diouf meanwhile had an even more nomadic career than Eto'o, his clubs including Sochaux, Stade Rennais, Lens, Liverpool, Bolton Wanderers, Blackburn Rovers, Sunderland, Rangers, Doncaster Rovers and Leeds United.

His trophy cabinet however is far barer than that of the Cameroonian, comprising just one English League Cup, as well as a Scottish Premier League title and a Scottish League Cup.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8323457/amp/Samuel-Etoo-dismisses-El-Hadji-Diouf-Didier-Drogba-claims-greatest-African-player-ever.html

While these young men are busy fighting over supremacy, engaging in a media war, these gentlemen are the greatest African Footballers that the continent has produced. They better projected the future which the young men are enjoying today. Here are my best players from Africa.

Albert Roger Milla Cameroon Africas highest goal scorer at the World Cup

George Weah Africa's Only World Player of the Year 1995 and current Liberian President

Just Fontaine Algerian born French footballer and the only player with the highest number of goals in a single World Cup( Sweden1958 : 13 Goals)

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by rhames(m): 6:22am On May 16, 2020
obembet:
Samuel Eto'o has restated his belief that he is the greatest African footballer of all time, while also taking a jab at fellow former forwards El-Hadji Diouf and Didier Drogba.

Former Liverpool forward Diouf recently claimed he was the greatest striker to ever come out of the continent, while debates over the best African players of all time tend to make mention of former Chelsea and Ivory Coast star Drogba.

The claims of both have been dismissed by ex-Cameroon international Eto'o, who says his burning desire to be the best fired him to a stellar career.

"Even if my brother Diouf the last time, with an extra glass, got a little lost, there is no debate", said Eto'o, in a reference to the Diouf video where the former Senegal international appeared a little drunk.

"None of them [Diouf and Drogba] can come and say that they were at my level or better. And it's not the fact that I say it, it's a fact, it's something that is there. I wanted to be number one and I have been throughout my career."

If based on awards during their careers, there are few players in the world - let alone Africa - who can touch the success enjoyed by Eto'o during his playing days.

He has won African Player of the Year four times, level with Yaya Toure, while Drogba and Diouf earned the award twice.

Eto'o, in a career which took him to Real Madrid, Real Mallorca, Barcelona, Inter, Chelsea, Everton and more, won a remarkable array of trophies including four Champions Leagues, three La Liga titles, two Copa del Rey trophies, a Serie A, a Coppa Italia, and the FIFA Club World Cup.

He also represented Cameroon on 118 occasions, scoring 56 goals and playing at four World Cups. He also won an Olympic gold medal in 2000, and two African Cup of Nations titles.

Diouf meanwhile had an even more nomadic career than Eto'o, his clubs including Sochaux, Stade Rennais, Lens, Liverpool, Bolton Wanderers, Blackburn Rovers, Sunderland, Rangers, Doncaster Rovers and Leeds United.

His trophy cabinet however is far barer than that of the Cameroonian, comprising just one English League Cup, as well as a Scottish Premier League title and a Scottish League Cup.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8323457/amp/Samuel-Etoo-dismisses-El-Hadji-Diouf-Didier-Drogba-claims-greatest-African-player-ever.html

While these young men are busy fighting over supremacy, engaging in a media war, these gentlemen are the greatest African Footballers that the continent has produced. They better projected the future which the young men are enjoying today. Here are my best players from Africa.

Albert Roger Milla Cameroon Africas highest goal scorer at the World Cup

George Weah Africa's Only World Player of the Year 1995 and current Liberian President

Just Fontaine Algerian born French footballer and the only player with the highest number of goals in a single World Cup( Sweden1958: 13 Goals)

All these legends were named amongst the 125 living legends in World Football by the Great Pele . So why the noise?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Alanpoza007: 6:57am On May 16, 2020
omonnakoda:

You know nothing about football to make such annoying and ignorant statements about Eto'o.So please tell us who's the best Cameroonian footballer if not Eto'o? We're talking about a player who is the all-time highest goal scorer in the Cameroon National team till date even after he retired many years ago, won back-to-back Nations cup in 2000 and 2002 where Cameroon came to our backyard in Lagos to win the Nations Cup in 2000 with Eto'o and Mboma scoring in that final, won the Olympics with Cameroon same year, won back-to-back African Player of the year in 2003,2004,2005 and then 2010 (a record 4-times, only Yaya Toure equals that), went on to dominate football at club level winning every trophy imaginable playing for top clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan and Chelsea, and even finishing the 3rd best player in the world in 2005(2nd Runner-up Ballon D'Or behind Ronaldinho and Lampard). Who on earth in Africa has such records, not to talk of within Cameroon only?

2 Likes

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Beedude(m): 7:11am On May 16, 2020
jaxxy:

Not neccesssrily bt Possibly. And Africa is different from Europe pls.
Modric isn't greater than all those players. And football isn't different anywhere. They both played at european club. Eto was also 3rd on Ballon d'or, with 4 africa footballer award. Scored more goals than any Africa footballer both dead and alive and also won more trophies as a key man for both club and country. Someone with just ballon d'or with no good statistics cant claim to be greater.
Is RICARDO KAKA greater than THIERRY HENRY ?
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Seunfretty: 7:37am On May 16, 2020
Openbusiness:

If am a toddler, you must be a sperm cell, to think Weah's era was more loaded than Etoo's era. George Weah was just lucky to win it, coupled with AC Milan influence because they were reigning at the time. Nothing, I repeat, there was nothing out of the ordinary about George Weah as a player, he is just another regular average. He is not on Etoo's level at all. Etoo was an extra ordinary striker. How many goals did Weah score as a striker in his entire club career? What was his scoring average per season? How many goal assists? Mtchwwwww! That you can even compare Weah with Etoo shows it is you that knows nothing about football. Even Thierry Henry, Arsenal's greatest striker in history, didn't win Ballon D'or, is Weah better than him or at his level? The great Raul of Real Madrid, highest champions league goal scorer of all time (until his record was recently broken by Ronaldo and Messi), never won Ballon D'or, is Weah on his level? Guy forget, u no sabi ball reach me.
..seconded on the basis of ability and quality I tknk eto is better Dan wear...

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by anambraamaka: 7:48am On May 16, 2020
No lies though I love Drogba as a blue
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by SirKomA(m): 9:03am On May 16, 2020
Tadwears2050:
Okocha is the best player... Then Eto

When it comes to being skillful, creative and entertaining, no player in Africa can attain the height of Okocha. Man is simply an entertainer!
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by wolexter(m): 10:36am On May 16, 2020
Eto'o is standing alone here. He is the undisputed best ever from Africa
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by KingAzubuike(f): 10:41am On May 16, 2020
Dagrace01:
Diouf who? Drogba what?
Comparing themselves to Eto'o?
That's ridiculous.
The only trophy Eto'o didn't win in football is world cup.
I can't even compare those two players to Kanu, Yaya Toure, and Okocha.
Does Diouf think it's by fighting on the pitch?
Eto'o deserved even ballon d'or in his time if not for segregation and marginalization of Africans.
Eto'o will go down among the top 10 strikers in football history.
U can only compare Eto'o to the likes of Ronaldo Delima, Thierry Henry, Raul Gonzalez, Alan Shearer and the likes.
It's very ridiculous to compare Eto'o to Drogba, Drogba is in the rank of Rooney, Larson, Crespo, Nzaghi, Vieri etc. While Diouf should be compared to Aiyegbeni, Martins, Villa, Wiltord etc
You can't even spell inzaghi correctly.
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by KingAzubuike(f): 10:44am On May 16, 2020
Alanpoza007:

When you're exceptional, the best comes for you. That's why Eto'o played for the likes of Madrid, Barça, Inter and Chelsea. JJ is a perfect example of someone that didn't operate at the level he was supposed to. With this skills and gifts, it's shameful he settled for the likes of Bolton. He had all of took to be the very best.
Football wasn't and isn't just about coming to the pitch to do unnecessary skills and dance with the ball. A lot of clubs and coaches didn't fancy and buy that shìt. That's why nobody gave a Bleep about okocha. If I was a coach too, I wouldn't have fancied him.
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by gibzzhd: 10:49am On May 16, 2020
Alanpoza007:

George Weah was good no doubt but his career at the very top lacked longevity. His National team career was almost non-existent. You can't say same for Eto'o. Providence just smiled on Weah. Eto'o was a menace for quite a while in Europe. Just look at his array of goals and trophy cabinet. Weah doesn't come close to that.
Respect weah for being a true African and sticking with Liberia.If he had represented France like zidane he would have won more ballon d'or and earned more respect internationally.
So you expect Liberia to match Cameroon.If Eto was also Liberian is international career would have been nothing.
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by gibzzhd: 10:51am On May 16, 2020
wolexter:
Eto'o is standing alone here. He is the undisputed best ever from Africa
Weah not Eto.The only one amongst them all who won FIFA world best,European player of the year and ballon d'or.Lets have a conversation when any other African footballer win these titles.

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Slimzzy00: 1:36pm On May 16, 2020
See these small boys. Where was George weah wasn't mentioned?
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by UTEWUOJO: 1:55pm On May 16, 2020
Profayo:
To me Patricia Nkwocha is the greatest African footballer of all time

Do you mean Perpetual Nkwocha?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kelechi Nwakali Trains With Arsenal First Team Stars Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette / Argentina Defender, Mascherano Says Super Eagles Are ‘disorganized’ / Meet The Most Expensive Players In Africa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.