Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player (42345 Views)

"I Want To Be Like Harry Kane And Drogba" - Osimhen / Liverpool Fans Blast Sadio Mane For Posting Shirtless Gym Photos With Hadj Diouf / Kanu Nwankwo, Essien And Drogba Pose Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by kendrick93(m): 4:43pm On May 15, 2020
Quelme:
And no George Weah?
Modified
Totally forgot about him..
Good call...
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Quelme: 4:43pm On May 15, 2020
George Manneh Oppong Weah is the greatest African player ever!!!
No African player comes close...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Exmilitant(m): 4:44pm On May 15, 2020
Who still remembers El Haji of Morrocco? Thats my African greatest... cool

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Jokerman(m): 4:44pm On May 15, 2020
Lol... Diouf is not even in top 10 African greatest players

2 Likes

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by engrchykae(m): 4:45pm On May 15, 2020
Wolgrace:
Diouf shouldn't be in the poll. That froggy player? Never!

If not JJ Okocha's indiscipline, he would have. George Weah is the king, and Eto'o is the prince.

Etoo and Ronaldinho that time, best afro collabo...
Etoo Dingho combo that year,dingho go give Etoo sign, Etoo go just run enter space,dingho go give blind pass Etoo go blow shot.
Etoo is only bested by da Lima nazario El fenomenon

4 Likes

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by ajl: 4:45pm On May 15, 2020
Even Diouf dey claim African best. He is just good and not consistently exceptional. I just laughed seeing his name there. Good he selected himself, and more so he did so when he was drunk. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Greatomotoy: 4:46pm On May 15, 2020
Erosion2020:
Etoo remains the African best. No argument biko
Did u Watch George Opong Weah when he was playing?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Pharaoh01(m): 4:47pm On May 15, 2020
obembet:
Samuel Eto'o has restated his belief that he is the greatest African footballer of all time, while also taking a jab at fellow former forwards El-Hadji Diouf and Didier Drogba.

Former Liverpool forward Diouf recently claimed he was the greatest striker to ever come out of the continent, while debates over the best African players of all time tend to make mention of former Chelsea and Ivory Coast star Drogba.

The claims of both have been dismissed by ex-Cameroon international Eto'o, who says his burning desire to be the best fired him to a stellar career.

"Even if my brother Diouf the last time, with an extra glass, got a little lost, there is no debate", said Eto'o, in a reference to the Diouf video where the former Senegal international appeared a little drunk.

"None of them [Diouf and Drogba] can come and say that they were at my level or better. And it's not the fact that I say it, it's a fact, it's something that is there. I wanted to be number one and I have been throughout my career."

If based on awards during their careers, there are few players in the world - let alone Africa - who can touch the success enjoyed by Eto'o during his playing days.

He has won African Player of the Year four times, level with Yaya Toure, while Drogba and Diouf earned the award twice.

Eto'o, in a career which took him to Real Madrid, Real Mallorca, Barcelona, Inter, Chelsea, Everton and more, won a remarkable array of trophies including four Champions Leagues, three La Liga titles, two Copa del Rey trophies, a Serie A, a Coppa Italia, and the FIFA Club World Cup.

He also represented Cameroon on 118 occasions, scoring 56 goals and playing at four World Cups. He also won an Olympic gold medal in 2000, and two African Cup of Nations titles.

Diouf meanwhile had an even more nomadic career than Eto'o, his clubs including Sochaux, Stade Rennais, Lens, Liverpool, Bolton Wanderers, Blackburn Rovers, Sunderland, Rangers, Doncaster Rovers and Leeds United.

His trophy cabinet however is far barer than that of the Cameroonian, comprising just one English League Cup, as well as a Scottish Premier League title and a Scottish League Cup.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8323457/amp/Samuel-Etoo-dismisses-El-Hadji-Diouf-Didier-Drogba-claims-greatest-African-player-ever.html
What's Diouf doing there??

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by sLentlover7778(m): 4:48pm On May 15, 2020
Na you talk am oo...

grin grin grin

Sleeklord:

Yakubu na maluu
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Crixxx: 4:48pm On May 15, 2020
Drogba my man
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Karleb(m): 4:49pm On May 15, 2020
It's so confusing that George Weah has a Ballon D'or and players like Eto, Drogba, kanu don't have one.

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by michoim(m): 4:50pm On May 15, 2020
Righteousness89:
With all Humility and Submission Diouf should Immediately take out himself from the equation..
On point

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by miketayo(m): 4:50pm On May 15, 2020
Have we forgotten George weah, or he isn't African

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Nairalandmonika: 4:51pm On May 15, 2020
Patrick33:
Eto is the best by a very wide margin..dunno what diouf should be doing inside this list..maybe put George weah instead.Okocha wasn't after trophies and glory..even he shouldn't be here.
In terms of football skills okocha surpass eto

2 Likes

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by miketayo(m): 4:52pm On May 15, 2020
azukaegopeter:
I think okocha is the best striker out of Africa even if he was not given due recognition

He wasn't a striker undecided lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by jaxxy(m): 4:52pm On May 15, 2020
George weah remains only African player to win world best and that makes him Africa’s best player.

Eto na mumu, he can only wish... notorious and ill mannered player during his days.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by DimIsaac10(m): 4:53pm On May 15, 2020
Where them come put George Weah? Former world best...
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 15, 2020
engrchykae:
Etoo Dingho combo that year,dingho go give Etoo sign, Etoo go just run enter space,dingho go give blind pass Etoo go blow shot.
Etoo is only bested by da Lima nazario El fenomenon

Looool I enjoy your rap flow. That's how they rolled with sign, scoring space, blind pass, and net shaking. Good combo
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Yamprince(m): 4:54pm On May 15, 2020
kendrick93:
Samuel Eto'o
George Weah
Roger milla
Didier drogba
Yaya toure
Thomas Nkono

These are the top 6 greatest players AFRICA has produced IMO in ascending order...
The likes of kanu, Abedi, okocha, Salah, Mane, El Hadry, Aboutrika, are all below

And George Weah nko? The only African to win world footballer of the year.....
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by humilitypays(m): 4:56pm On May 15, 2020
Greatest African footballers are:

George Weah
Etoo
Didie Drogba
Kanu Nwankwo
Jay Jay Okocha
Abedi Pele
Roger Milla

Sadio Mane waiting to join the list if he continues well....

Who is Hajj abi Hajji angry
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by neyorlmogzy(m): 4:57pm On May 15, 2020
Righteousness89:
With all Humility and Submission Diouf should Immediately take out himself from the equation..
hahahahaha...jeez you are funny

1 Like

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Emedu(m): 4:58pm On May 15, 2020
Mane is the best!
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Dagrace01(m): 4:59pm On May 15, 2020
Diouf who? Drogba what?
Comparing themselves to Eto'o?
That's ridiculous.
The only trophy Eto'o didn't win in football is world cup.
I can't even compare those two players to Kanu, Yaya Toure, and Okocha.
Does Diouf think it's by fighting on the pitch?
Eto'o deserved even ballon d'or in his time if not for segregation and marginalization of Africans.
Eto'o will go down among the top 10 strikers in football history.
U can only compare Eto'o to the likes of Ronaldo Delima, Thierry Henry, Raul Gonzalez, Alan Shearer and the likes.
It's very ridiculous to compare Eto'o to Drogba, Drogba is in the rank of Rooney, Larson, Crespo, Nzaghi, Vieri etc. While Diouf should be compared to Aiyegbeni, Martins, Villa, Wiltord etc

7 Likes

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by ejanla077: 5:00pm On May 15, 2020
Righteousness89:

It's difficult oooo..
But in fairness I think Eto should take it!
Its not difficult.. Eto is ahead of drogba
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Prenonjebose: 5:02pm On May 15, 2020
Righteousness89:
Humility and submission has never been associated with Diouf. This was one of his undoing. Won next to nothing
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Prenonjebose: 5:03pm On May 15, 2020
Etoo is the greatest in terms of laurels.
Other greats include:
Drogba, Yaya Toure, Abedi Pele, George Weah, Rabah Madja, Kanu and Thomas Nkono.
Some greats did not win much, but were a delight to watch. These include Okocha, Lakdar Belloumi, Keshi etc
Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 15, 2020
Dagrace01:
Diouf who? Drogba what?
Comparing themselves to Eto'o?
That's ridiculous.
The only trophy Eto'o didn't win in football is world cup.
I can't even compare those two players to Kanu, Yaya Toure, and Okocha.
Does Diouf think it's by fighting on the pitch?
Eto'o deserved even ballon d'or in his time if not for segregation and marginalization of Africans.
Eto'o will go down among the top 10 strikers in football history.
U can only compare Eto'o to the likes of Ronaldo Delima, Thierry Henry, Raul Gonzalez, Alan Shearer and the likes.
It's very ridiculous to compare Eto'o to Drogba, Drogba is in the rank of Rooney, Larson, Crespo, Nzaghi, Vieri etc. While Diouf should be compared to Aiyegbeni, Martins, Villa, Wiltord etc
You've said it all.

2 Likes

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Alanpoza007: 5:09pm On May 15, 2020
Greatomotoy:

Did u Watch George Opong Weah when he was playing?
George Weah was good no doubt but his career at the very top lacked longevity. His National team career was almost non-existent. You can't say same for Eto'o. Providence just smiled on Weah. Eto'o was a menace for quite a while in Europe. Just look at his array of goals and trophy cabinet. Weah doesn't come close to that.

7 Likes

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by Alanpoza007: 5:11pm On May 15, 2020
Nairalandmonika:
In terms of football skills okocha surpass eto
Football isn't just about showboating and dancing on the ball.

3 Likes

Re: Eto'o Dismisses Diouf And Drogba Claims To Be Greatest Ever African Player by clevybrown(m): 5:14pm On May 15, 2020
I'll give it to Eto'o, but my love for Drogba's never say die attitude on the field of play is just kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Argentina Defender, Mascherano Says Super Eagles Are ‘disorganized’ / Kelechi Nwakali Trains With Arsenal First Team Stars Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette / AFCON Prize Money For Winners, Runner-Ups, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.