Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,404 members, 7,815,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... (1808 Views)

Is Knowing Your Partner's Phone Password A Big Deal In A Relationship? / Ladies Kick Against Their Kids Taking Up Their Husband’s Name In Marriage / I Won't Take My Future Husband's Name Unless He's More Successful-Cynthia Lolo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Pelxmiye(m): 5:43pm On May 15, 2020
I am being dragged on this particular discussion on Twitter and I asked myself..."was this ever an issue in the past"

Did our parents,our fathers and mothers every argue on "surnames"

Why is taking one husband's surname now an issue in the 2020? Is it because of modernity or social media correctness...

I can wrap my head around it...I have seen happy homes and sad homes..the marriages that eventually hit the rock didn't fail because of "surnames"
I think our generation would never go far maritally because of misplaced priorities and herd mentally..

A girl on the same Twitter thread was saying taking "surnames" in marriage started from during British colonialism and has since stayed with us.I was shocked because taking the husband's surnames has always been a thing in pre colonial Africa and Nigeria..Why is it now a problem now in 2020? undecided undecided undecided undecided

Even one burst my brain by saying "why can't I take my wife's surname too?

Seems we are fighting a lost war here.. fighting against nature or maybe it's a battles of sexes undecided undecided undecided who knows.
Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Davash222(m): 5:45pm On May 15, 2020
Patriarchy has been in existence even before the creation of Britain.
These feminists should please get a life embarassed embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Ningen(m): 5:51pm On May 15, 2020
Last I checked, that's a choice.
As long as she'll submit herself, I don't care.
Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by GreenDestiny2: 5:54pm On May 15, 2020
You're not forced na.

That's how wife refused to take my surname. When an opportunity came and required that she bears my surname, she rushed to the court for affidavit. Nonsense.

10 Likes

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Karlifate: 6:01pm On May 15, 2020
It has been in existence before the colonial era.
Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Pelxmiye(m): 6:06pm On May 15, 2020
GreenDestiny2:
You're not forced na.

That's how wife refused to take my surname. When an opportunity came and required that she bears my surname, she rushed to the court for affidavit. Nonsense.

Wow really.... what's the point of marrying to tussle over "surnames" undecided undecided undecided..it doesn't make sense at all

1 Like

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Pelxmiye(m): 6:16pm On May 15, 2020
Some of the tweets here

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by gbadexy(m): 6:28pm On May 15, 2020
When it's time to claim the husband's estate or he becomes a politician with first lady, you will see how fast she adopts the name.
Some even hold on to their father's popular name.

6 Likes

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by vickydankal(f): 6:34pm On May 15, 2020
Must we debate every thing?
2020 and so what?
I don’t care what you believe, it’s so shameful that some of these debates Christians involves themselves with it. It goes a long way to show we don’t know our bible.

The last time I checked, taking a man’s name after wedding is biblical.
Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Premiumwriter: 6:34pm On May 15, 2020
gbadexy:
When it's time to claim the husband's estate or he becomes a politician with first lady, you will see how fast she adopts the name.
Some even hold on to their father's popular name.
women are opportunist.

When nothing is attached, they will drag you through the mud and back again claiming feminist.

Let money be involved and you'll see those same feminist turning around.

4 Likes

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by gbadexy(m): 6:41pm On May 15, 2020
Premiumwriter:
women are opportunist.

When nothing is attached, they will drag you through the mud and back again claiming feminist.

Let money be involved and you'll see those same feminist turning around.
Feminists that can't wait to bear wizkids name despite his baby mamas or even tuface.

4 Likes

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Inferno001(m): 7:11pm On May 15, 2020
For me, I think its important to take the name of the husband when married..changing a marital status and moving in with a man means you have decided to be one with the man and since men are heads of a home as it is generally agreed world over, its only natural to take the name... although it's not a must, but most people won't know who is married to who when documents are submitted If both parties bear different names..I guess at the end it becomes a thing of choice for the couple to make..cheers

4 Likes

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Pelxmiye(m): 7:25pm On May 15, 2020
vickydankal:
Must we debate every thing?
2020 and so what?
I don’t care what you believe, it’s so shameful that some of these debates Christians involves themselves with it. It goes a long way to show we don’t know our bible.

The last time I checked, taking a man’s name after wedding is biblical.

My dear I'm tired ooo..it's not only biblical.but it's legally accepted... we're all just trying bro please social media

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by wisdomiskey(m): 7:58pm On May 15, 2020
fuzzywuzzy:
So I eventually got banned after calling for the ban of someone else grin

Hahaha my fake badassery ended in tears, grin

Lwkmd

LOL. Great to hear!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:12pm On May 15, 2020
What happens to people like us who are already testing surnames to see if they suit well with our first names? cheesy cheesy

My maiden name has a shortened version, anyway, so I’m keeping it as my middle name... Hubby’s name will be the official last name.
Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Acidosis(m): 8:45pm On May 15, 2020
As far as the kids take their father's name, any other person can choose to be a stranger, outsider, intruder, or whatever in the family circle..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by kazyhm(m): 9:10pm On May 15, 2020
Acidosis:
As far as the kids take their father's name, any other person can choose to be a stranger, outsider, intruder, or whatever in the family circle..

Simply on point
Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Sijo01(f): 9:32pm On May 15, 2020
God knows I don't have the energy to argue about names or go through the stress of change of name that's while he jejeli gave me someone that bear the same surname with me cool

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Lionessza6(f): 9:54pm On May 15, 2020
Did Africans even have surnames before colonisation? grin. I'm beginning to think not, I spend a lot of time in the rural areas & I notice that clan- names carry more weight than surnames in my culture, & with my interaction with other African groups,I notice the same thing. I recently learnt that the culture of mourning (black clothes & all) that we have embraced as our own was actually a culture imposed on us by the Brits. So its not a bad thing that African people are questioning some of their " cultures & traditions ". We have adopted a lot of alien things that dont really work for us,cultures and traditions that enforce patriarchy & dominance. Patriarchy itself is non African ( I know it sounds absurd ,judging by how Africans act today ),but it is an acquired trait ( negative ).

With that being said,seeing that majority of morden Africans are negropeans grin,I dont see any harm in the wife taking the man's surname. I understand the inconvenience though especially for women with titles,but hey.....
Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Pelxmiye(m): 11:09pm On May 15, 2020
PrimadonnaO:
What happens to people like us who are already testing surnames to see if they suit well with our first names? cheesy cheesy

My maiden name has a shortened version, anyway, so I’m keeping it as my middle name... Hubby’s name will be the official last name.

Your making sense bae...I never even liked the idea of a lady dumping her family name cos of marriage...let her add her husband's name to her maiden name..case closed wink wink wink smiley wink

1 Like

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Minxie(f): 11:54pm On May 15, 2020
IF I get married (and that's a giant IF) I'm keeping my surname. No need to explain. Just keeping it cool

4 Likes

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by emmaodet: 5:02am On May 16, 2020
Acidosis:

grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by mrblessed(m): 6:20am On May 16, 2020
GreenDestiny2:
You're not forced na.

That you allowed it in the first place shows what kind of man you are. Even in western countries most women happily bear the names of their husbands, not to talk of Nigerian ladies with their ill-digest notion of feminism.
Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Dande55: 6:25am On May 16, 2020
Acidosis:

What's wrong in taking the mother's name? I have friends that answers their mother's name.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Dande55: 6:26am On May 16, 2020
Minxie:
IF I get married (and that's a giant IF) I'm keeping my surname. No need to explain. Just keeping it cool
Exactly. My surname remains with me.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Shormiey(m): 6:30am On May 16, 2020
Pelxmiye:
I am being dragged on this particular discussion on Twitter and I asked myself..."was this ever an issue in the past"

Did our parents,our fathers and mothers every argue on "surnames"

Why is taking one husband's surname now an issue in the 2020? Is it because of modernity or social media correctness...

I can wrap my head around it...I have seen happy homes and sad homes..the marriages that eventually hit the rock didn't fail because of "surnames"
I think our generation would never go far maritally because of misplaced priorities and herd mentally..

A girl on the same Twitter thread was saying taking "surnames" in marriage started from during British colonialism and has since stayed with us.I was shocked because taking the husband's surnames has always been a thing in pre colonial Africa and Nigeria..Why is it now a problem now in 2020? undecided undecided undecided undecided

Even one burst my brain by saying "why can't I take my wife's surname too?

Seems we are fighting a lost war here.. fighting against nature or maybe it's a battles of sexes undecided undecided undecided who knows.
You better add it even if you are gonna bear your father surname ....why are you even asking this unwarranted question?
Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Shormiey(m): 6:32am On May 16, 2020
GreenDestiny2:
You're not forced na.

Gbam!!!
Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Acidosis(m): 6:42am On May 16, 2020
Dande55:

What's wrong in taking the mother's name? I have friends that answers their mother's name.

Well I don't have friends that answer their mother's name and haven't seen names like Josephine Monica or Rebecca Agnes.

But I'm still curious to ask, which of the mother's names do your friends take - maiden name/father's/last name, first name or middle name? Are your friends male or female?

Taking your father's name while ignoring your husband's name because of "gender war" is a recipe for total ma.dness.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Arthur2021: 6:44am On May 16, 2020
I knew it will be Solomon buchi,I have not seen a manginas in my entire life with so much disgust and hate for men.
This men spend his time online stirring up gender wars and always looking for ways to talk of men.
There is no attack he hasn't talked about launching on men.

With prevailing issues like wife confiscating a late man property from his wife and tormenting widows,female genital mutilation his concern is a harmless surname.

This people will leave core issues to argue over things like packing plates during marriage
It seems their worth is attached to how many arguments they win online.

He even tagged it misogyny-what has never being a biggie to women or harmed them in any way.

Surname is taken by choice,but if a lady isn't hurt or belittled there is no need stirring up argument and gender war

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Dande55: 6:46am On May 16, 2020
Acidosis:

Well I don't have friends that answers their mother's name and haven't seen names like Josephine Monica or Rebecca Agnes.

But I'm still curious to ask, which of the mother's names do your friends take - maiden name/father's/last name, first name or middle name? Are your friends male or female?

Mother's maiden name.
The whole family, both male and female answers their mother's maiden name.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Big Deal To Take Your Husband's Name... by Acidosis(m): 6:47am On May 16, 2020
Dande55:

Exactly. My surname remains with me.

Lol. Your surname, as in father's name? What happens to your mother's name?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Secret Camera Show Student Sleeping With Teacher For Grades (video) / ... / Do You Agree,95% Of Nigerian Women Date,marry For Survival Not For Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.