Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,321 members, 7,954,294 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:10 PM

What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? (48278 Views)

Can Google Really Tell The Difference Between Good And Bad Content? / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by chudez0147(m): 5:51pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:
My evening starts from 4pm..
5pm good evening. 8pm good night..
You that want to go to Canada and never return.... If you go there and greet like that, then go just deport you sharpadly!!
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by JJBROS(m): 5:52pm On May 16, 2020
Michealky:
Once its 8pm I don't greet nobody. No matter who u are.

Bad guy I sight u....lol
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by SeriouslySense(m): 5:57pm On May 16, 2020
yes,

In Yoruba it is = Ka a ale

in Igbo it is = Mgbede ọma

in Husa it is = Barka da yamma

Please correct me, if I am wrong and what is good evening in your language, thanks, people.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by ugohenry2019(m): 5:57pm On May 16, 2020
[quote author=Crixxx post=89595123]My evening starts from 4pm.. 5pm good evening. 8pm good night.. [/quou
u don't know what u are expressing...... is goodnight greeting
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 16, 2020
This is where Yoruba is regarded as one of the richest Languages in the world.

There is a different between the two.
To the English man evening is Evening.

To a Yoruba man evening is not evening
And morning is not morning.
There is

E Ku irole (Irole) evening 5-6pm
E kaa le. (Ale) .evening. 7-11pm

Oru Morning 12am - 5am
Idaaji. Morning 5am-6am
Aaro. Morning . 6am to 11am

Not only these. There are several words with two or three words describing it.

O nwu iko ( he is coughing) is different from;
O gbe iko. (He is coughing)

Ara nro mi ( my body is paining me)
Ara n gan mi ( my body is paining me)
Ara nta mi. ( my body is paining me)

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Estellie: 5:58pm On May 16, 2020
grin grin grin grin
leunseyis:
All na greetings... That Why white people greet like this... Good day or Hello, How are you doing... Naija we too dey great
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Crixxx: 5:59pm On May 16, 2020
chudez0147:

You that want to go to Canada and never return.... If you go there and greet like that, then go just deport you sharpadly!!

Going to Canada and not returning is my choice and all the times I went and returned was my choice too?..

When did greeting become an offense that attracts deportation... shey it's my choice to greet or is it now yours or that of FG? ... They can't try it after all young chaps over there call their dads "crazy man" and they smile over it..

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Therapyken(m): 6:00pm On May 16, 2020
Bjteensdes24:
Hello, please this baffles me as I wonder why most people greet one another 'good evening' when it is dusk (5pm or 6pm) and also when the night finally comes(7pm).

Anybody to explain that better is there any correlation between those two words? If yes, why? Cos dusk is still a bit of day
I wonder if it appropriate to say 'good night' as a greeting on meeting someone. It seems like a parting greeting. But you can say 'good evening' as a greeting when you meet and before you part ways.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by mordred44: 6:01pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:

When departing obviously
na so
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by uboma(m): 6:01pm On May 16, 2020
StephenJoseph:

No. You are wrong. Evening starts from 4:00pm

See the information below,

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by WaffenSS(m): 6:08pm On May 16, 2020
From 12:01am to 11:59am is all morning
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Davpee: 6:08pm On May 16, 2020
Bjteensdes24:
Hello, please this baffles me as I wonder why most people greet one another 'good evening' when it is dusk (5pm or 6pm) and also when the night finally comes(7pm).

Anybody to explain that better is there any correlation between those two words? If yes, why? Cos dusk is still a bit of day
English na wi papa language? whether 5pm oh, 8pm oh na good evening we know oh!
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Therapyken(m): 6:13pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:

And if you're not seeing the person for the 1st time that day and you're going to bed by 8pm you'll greet good evening?..

Many are mad few are roaming.
Good evening is also appropriate. It is a farewell greeting as well. Stop taking shots aimlessly.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Shamzo4u: 6:15pm On May 16, 2020
leunseyis:
All na greetings... That Why white people greet like this... Good day or Hello, How are you doing... Naija we too dey great
Especially Yorubas, they would stand for 20min on the road in the name of greetings

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Drizzy5001(m): 6:18pm On May 16, 2020
Just say Good Early evening . If it is 5pm
And Good late evening. If it is 7 pm

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by pooozeee(m): 6:19pm On May 16, 2020
Actually once it's night, you say Good night but here in Nigeria, saying Goodnight means an expression to say goodbye

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Crixxx: 6:24pm On May 16, 2020
Therapyken:
Good evening is also appropriate. It is a farewell greeting as well. Stop taking shots aimlessly.

So you'll say good evening to your grand dad while going bed?. .ok grin grin

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Poguspecial: 6:25pm On May 16, 2020
*Two units of three bedroom flat for sale urgently

*Building is at roofing level

*Building sits on a full plot of 100 by 100 ft

*Sharp sand and granite available for the buyer too

*Location-Benin city

*Price-1,650,000
*Contact/WhatsApp-08067500739

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by madridsta007(m): 6:30pm On May 16, 2020
Bjteensdes24:

I send emails at 11.30pm and start with "Good evening".
It is a psychological ploy to make people at least read some parts of the email.
It works.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Kizyte(m): 6:34pm On May 16, 2020
uboma:

4:00pm is still considered as afternoon.

The evening starts from 5:00pm.
Bro abeg no vex, na which school you attend?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Jeffyblaq(m): 6:35pm On May 16, 2020
Reference:

Yeah, it broadens knowledge...enlightens....and is a good distraction from the fights, racial slurs and keeps the unintelligent away for a while.
Very well then!
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by atobs4real(m): 6:36pm On May 16, 2020
Good evening starts from any thing after 4pm. That is my take
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by femi4: 6:38pm On May 16, 2020
dayleke:
That is why I love my Yoruba language.
Good evening is "E Ku irole o " .

8pm greeting na "E kaale o ".
English is a language with many flaws....If Ẹ kaabọ̣ is "Welcome", what is Ẹ ku ile?

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Tobechuckwu(m): 6:40pm On May 16, 2020
I fink Evening starts by 6pm that's why we have dusk till dawn which 6pm starts till 6am ends.
Even in the Bible, 3rd hour of d day is 9am while 12th hour of the day is 6pm,in other words the day ends by 6pm and morning start by 6am.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by eneyoduke(m): 6:45pm On May 16, 2020
If you ask me na who ah go ask grin cool
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Ashinner: 6:45pm On May 16, 2020
It is not only that one too,it's also baffled me when we are in tick dark night like 12am 4am we are still greeting good morning, morning should be braking of the day,

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by uboma(m): 6:49pm On May 16, 2020
Kizyte:
Bro abeg no vex, na which school you attend?

Why not contribute to the topic under discussion? Your question is irrelevant to what is discussed here.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Therapyken(m): 6:51pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:

So you'll say good evening to your grand dad while going bed?. .ok grin grin
If i did, i would'nt be committing any crime
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 6:54pm On May 16, 2020
My own good morning no dey finish. I still greet good morning by 7pm and good morning by 2pm. Sometimes I just wonder what could be my problem.I think I was created in the morning.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by MrCuteking(m): 6:54pm On May 16, 2020
Yes the difference is in the time and your mind.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by apexc5068: 6:58pm On May 16, 2020
[color=#] 1685830[/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Breaks Academic Record At University Of Manchester!!! Photos / Tunji Epketi-Micheal UI's 500Level Rusticated Student Of / UNILAG Students Chilling After Their Arrest At Their Convocation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.