Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:15 AM

What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? (48271 Views)

Can Google Really Tell The Difference Between Good And Bad Content? / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Retrography(m): 10:43pm On May 16, 2020
While reading a novel several years back (A pacesetter novel-- The Cyclist) I saw something like late afternoon at about 5--6pm and I was confused.
Later years, I discovered that the day is divided roughly into day and night (Ante-meridian:AM) and (Post Meridian: PM)
As for this greeting: it should be noted that evening starts roughly at about 6PM.
However, if you say good afternoon anything after 4pm, the other person will reply with good evening because the society has made it so.
Sometimes, I specifically say good afternoon around 5PM just to cause small confusion and it works like magic�
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by olax02(m): 10:45pm On May 16, 2020
leunseyis:
All na greetings... That Why white people greet like this... Good day or Hello, How are you doing... Naija we too dey greet
Most especially yoruba people...i over heard some women greeting each other; ema ku corona yi... grin
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Bjteensdes24: 10:54pm On May 16, 2020
boomssey:
you know I was actually thinking of this topic today.
Lol..am I a mind reader? It came to my mind today, so I have to share with people and know their opinions
You see there are so many words that are complicated maybe I will prefer Yoruba over any other language but we don't really appreciate it cos of the official one. We even insult people who doesn't speak it whereas it isn't our own language
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Bjteensdes24: 10:57pm On May 16, 2020
Retrography:

Here we go again.
What about the wrong side of Yoruba language whereby you tell someone good night (Oda'aro) around 1PM in the afternoon because you won't see the person again till the next day?
This is very correct because you are bidding farewell and not greeting according to the present moment. I hope this little explanation can make you understand

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Bjteensdes24: 10:59pm On May 16, 2020
makapella:
I've not commented in a long while but I've got to say this;this is a very very educative topic..

Nairaland is gradually getting back it's former glory..We have been on this platform since 2008 so we can authoritatively state how it went down back in the days..

We don't struggle for Ftc no more..
We don't try to be like the dead meat seller following every topic..
We were active in the days when Seun Osewa was dishing out directives himself..But we were just observers..

I learnt of this site in Madonna University cafe on one of those boring days..It was so so educative like this..
God no go Shame seun
Amen Sir but what is your take on this sir..what's your opinion?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Kizyte(m): 11:00pm On May 16, 2020
uboma:

Why not contribute to the topic under discussion? Your question is irrelevant to what is discussed here.
Sorry sir, no vex!
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Pootle: 11:03pm On May 16, 2020
Bjteensdes24:
Hello, please this baffles me as I wonder why most people greet one another 'good evening' when it is dusk (5pm or 6pm) and also when the night finally comes(7pm).

Anybody to explain that better is there any correlation between those two words? If yes, why? Cos dusk is still a bit of day
youruba or other languages have a greeting for night... unfortunately English is too rigid to inculcate good night as a greeting but a bed time good bye
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by luluman: 11:08pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:
My evening starts from 4pm..
5pm good evening. 8pm good night..
Ok, then 11pm is good midnight.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by bizzibodi(m): 11:09pm On May 16, 2020
From 8pm to 11:55pm should be Good night.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by AubreyFord: 11:15pm On May 16, 2020
noon started around 12:00pm so 12:01pm to 5:00pm is still afternoon evening starts 5:01pm to 8:00pm and as from 8:01pm to 11:59pm is night
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by MrNice001(m): 11:42pm On May 16, 2020
Let me explain you clearly difference between evening and night. Evening means sunset from 4pm to 7pm. Even it still passing on over clock. Use "greeting" always to say good evening even if it is past 8pm. To night means to set dark at d end of d act in time. It's right to say "good night" for only leaving or go sleepy and also say "last night" what did in the previous day. Hope this make any sense?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by AmDayo: 11:48pm On May 16, 2020
from 4pm to 6:49pm is twilight
Is best to say, good twilight at that time.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by thatigboman: 11:52pm On May 16, 2020
femi4:
Wrong...evening start from 4pm
dont mind all those buying saying evening starts at 5pm. I understand, people dont go to school to learn anything again or what
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by guy222: 12:08am On May 17, 2020
Morning start by 12.00am and ended at 11.59am while afternoon start by 12.00pm and ended at 5.59pm, then evening start by 6.00pm and ended at 11.59pm
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by dayleke: 12:16am On May 17, 2020
Retrography:

Here we go again.
What about the wrong side of Yoruba language whereby you tell someone good night (Oda'aro) around 1PM in the afternoon because you won't see the person again till the next day?

Bros....
Haba!!!!
Why would you say "O da'aro" at 1pm?
At 1pm, it's "O d'abo na o".
"O da'aro" at 1pm sounds kinda weird imo.
Even if d pesin dey travel, na "O dabo" or "O d'abo na".
And if na for same city, na "Later" things or "Pe mi ti o ba dele", but not o daro.
Maybe "O d'abo" sha o.

PS; Are you Yoruba sha?

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by guy222: 12:20am On May 17, 2020
thatigboman:
dont mind all those buying saying evening starts at 5pm. I understand, people dont go to school to learn anything again or what
see as you the disgrace yourself, evening actually start by 6.00
pm and end at 11.59pm while morning start at 12.00am and end at 11.59am then afternoon start at 12.00pm and end at 5.59pm. Abi you no do map reading and climatical setting for school where you learn about GMT
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by thatigboman: 12:24am On May 17, 2020
guy222:
see as you the disgrace yourself, evening actually start by 6.00
pm and end at 11.59pm while morning start at 12.00am and end at 11.59am then afternoon start at 12.00pm and end at 5.59pm. Abi you no do map reading and climatical setting for school where you learn about GMT
sharap.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by guy222: 12:39am On May 17, 2020
thatigboman:
sharap.
you are a mad man, keep claiming you know when you no nothing, by the way what is your discipline?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Originalsly: 12:46am On May 17, 2020
IMO.... no special clock time to say good evening. I think it begins just about sunset. Good Evening...... the greeting.....even if it's 10 pm..... Good Nite.... on parting.

7:42 pm..... where good afternoon makes way for good evening in these parts. A month from today it will be no doubt.......good afternoon.

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by enemyofprogress: 1:47am On May 17, 2020
Ademola47:
Technically, there's no difference.

Evening starts by 4:0 pm and ends by 9:0pm.
Saying good evening by 5 & 8 is right.
if it ends at 9PM like you wrote how do you greet people at after 9PM?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by linearity: 1:48am On May 17, 2020
Ademola47:
Technically, there's no difference.

Evening starts by 4:0 pm and ends by 9:0pm.
Saying good evening by 5 & 8 is right.

Evening ends at 11:59pm.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by thatigboman: 1:52am On May 17, 2020
guy222:
you are a mad man, keep claiming you know when you no nothing, by the way what is your discipline?
shut d hell up, mad illiterate
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by osascybog(m): 1:55am On May 17, 2020
This is a corona write up...how did this get fp??an idle hand is a jargons workshop...
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by DCatt: 5:19am On May 17, 2020
Yoruba language has it but English doesn't.

Yoruba has it all!

Respect to Yoruba language joo!

Eku irole = 5 - 6pm

Ek'ale = 7 - 10pm

Eku oru = 11pm - 3am grin

Eku idaji = 4am - 6am

Ek'aro = 7am - 11 am

Ek'asan = 12 noon - 4 pm
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by witworth(m): 7:26am On May 17, 2020
Bjteensdes24:
Hello, please this baffles me as I wonder why most people greet one another 'good evening' when it is dusk (5pm or 6pm) and also when the night finally comes(7pm).

Anybody to explain that better is there any correlation between those two words? If yes, why? Cos dusk is still a bit of day
as you ask me now, only God knows who ah fit ask
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by pateffy: 8:57am On May 17, 2020
Decsix:
SCAM ALERT- Fake Acess Bank CC
I wish to report this username Pateffy's who sent me a mail through
my nairaland account. so i checked my mail. i saw mail sent to my
yahoo account that have my access bank acount details. immediately
a confirmation message was sent to my phone with a code. i got a
call from a number 07040502553 claiming to be access bank
customer care demanding for the code that was sent to me. telling
me stories of how someone is trying to login into my account. i
suspected scam and cut the call. he called me several times. i didnt
pick. so my true caller got the above name Pateffy's from facebook id
as the caller. kindly Investigate this guy and punish him duly to save
other nairalanders of falling into the guy sinister act. Thanks.
Supermod help push to front page to prevent other Good hearted
Nairalanders from Fall Prey to this sinister acts.
Beware of PATEFFY'S

Decsix please do the needful I just gave you a call my account has been hacked by some people trying to get money from you.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by U2ice(m): 9:30am On May 17, 2020
3hours difference grin
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Decsix(m): 9:48am On May 17, 2020
REJOINDER
I wish to make clear of issue concerning a previous Scam Alert from fake Access Bank Customer Care.
I wish to apologise to the username PATEFFY'S. That she is free of the Scam action that was carried out Yeaterday.It is important to let nairalanders and the public know that PATEFFY'S is a Good Hearted person and Nairalander who wish me well.
It is important to note that someone try the sinister act under false name trying to implicate her and her person.
This doesnt take away the FACT that someone is Lurking in the dark try to prey Nairalander and the Public
Once again PATEFFY'S is free of Scam Indication
Thanks for your understanding
SuperMod please i tender unreserved Apology to PATEFFY'S and Other Good Hearted Nairalanders
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Retrography(m): 11:15am On May 17, 2020
dayleke:

Bros....
Haba!!!!
Why would you say "O da'aro" at 1pm?
At 1pm, it's "O d'abo na o".
"O da'aro" at 1pm sounds kinda weird imo.
Even if d pesin dey travel, na "O dabo" or "O d'abo na".
And if na for same city, na "Later" things or "Pe mi ti o ba dele", but not o daro.
Maybe "O d'abo" sha o.

I'm a Northerner sir.
I understand you.

PS; Are you Yoruba sha?
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Retrography(m): 11:16am On May 17, 2020
Bjteensdes24:

This is very correct because you are bidding farewell and not greeting according to the present moment. I hope this little explanation can make you understand

Okay, thank you for the enlightenment.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Hideki(m): 11:46am On May 17, 2020
uboma:

4:00pm is still considered as afternoon.

The evening starts from 5:00pm.
Evening starts by 6:00pm ...5:59pm is still afternoon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tunji Epketi-Micheal UI's 500Level Rusticated Student Of / Nigerian Breaks Academic Record At University Of Manchester!!! Photos / UNILAG Students Chilling After Their Arrest At Their Convocation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.