Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,039 members, 7,953,132 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:11 AM

What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? (48274 Views)

Can Google Really Tell The Difference Between Good And Bad Content? / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by COUSIN1279(m): 7:01pm On May 16, 2020
Nigeria Police: whether morning ooo, evening and night na still morn sir...
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 16, 2020
hardewaih:
Good evening is used from 5-6pm to 11:59 pm.. Because saying good night indirectly means 'good bye'.. Imagine you want to discus something with someone at 9pm but you start with good night the other person may get confused coz you're mostly expected to go after saying 'good night'
Lol grin
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 16, 2020
Personally, I say 'good evening' from 4pm. The only time I say 'goodnight' is when I'm parting ways with someone that I'm unlikely to see again before next day.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by drololaaof: 7:15pm On May 16, 2020
All na grammar, foreign language . Our Yoruba language have different names for each part of the day Aro kutukutu or owurokutu ( early morning ) osan gangan ( mid day) irole ( late afternoon, early evening ) ale ( night) ,oganjo oru ( midnight) ,afemajumo ( early morning) but a borrowed language is difficult to interpret .
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Odogwu999(m): 7:26pm On May 16, 2020
Greet Na greet o wetin consign me even at 11:59 i still dy greet goodevening
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Malawian(m): 7:30pm On May 16, 2020
One is mgbede, the other is Abani.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Biggers82(m): 7:32pm On May 16, 2020
We have only one Good Afternoon as from 12noon that's 12noon or 12 am, is Good afternoon
The from 1 pm is Good evening till 11 pm to 12 am.
That's what they told us oooo
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Risingsunn: 7:38pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:
My evening starts from 4pm..
5pm good evening. 8pm good night..
so you will just go to someone's house, knock on the door and when he opens, you will just say "good night" and enter?

I had thought goodnight is said when you are leaving someone

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Nobody: 7:41pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:
What if you're just meeting person for the first time at 8pm?
do you tell them goodnight? considering the fact that goodnight is for bidding farewell.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by frozen70(f): 7:47pm On May 16, 2020
Bjteensdes24:
Hello, please this baffles me as I wonder why most people greet one another 'good evening' when it is dusk (5pm or 6pm) and also when the night finally comes(7pm).

Anybody to explain that better is there any correlation between those two words? If yes, why? Cos dusk is still a bit of day

Anything after 6pm should have been good night, but if you say so you will look abnormal to people,
so let it be the way it has been

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by rockstar27(m): 7:55pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:

if u you go and visit someone at night 8pm. would u also say good night? like how will u greet them when I reached the house
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Tremple8v: 7:59pm On May 16, 2020
I will use Yoruba , eka aro , eka san, ekurole, eka ale .
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by JoyceNelly(f): 7:59pm On May 16, 2020
We don't believe in greeting when it is dark...who knows, you might greet a monster...I prefer to keep mute once it's dark.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by makapella(m): 7:59pm On May 16, 2020
I've not commented in a long while but I've got to say this;this is a very very educative topic..

Nairaland is gradually getting back it's former glory..We have been on this platform since 2008 so we can authoritatively state how it went down back in the days..

We don't struggle for Ftc no more..
We don't try to be like the dead meat seller following every topic..
We were active in the days when Seun Osewa was dishing out directives himself..But we were just observers..

I learnt of this site in Madonna University cafe on one of those boring days..It was so so educative like this..
God no go Shame seun

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by sirjulius232(m): 8:09pm On May 16, 2020
*LAND MEASURING 100 x 100 FOR SALE AT EGBAEN COMMUNITY EKHENWAN BARRACK , FULLY DEVELOPED AND ACCESSIBLE IN BENIN CITY, EDO STATE. INTERESTED BUYERS SHOULD CALL OR WHATSAPP 08162723395.*
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Doyin2(m): 8:18pm On May 16, 2020
In the morning: Good morning
Afternoon: Good afternoon
Evening. : Good evening
Night. : Good Night evening?

i am still wondering why "Good Night "is an orphan,used only at sleep time.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Doyin2(m): 8:24pm On May 16, 2020
Tremple8v:
I will use Yoruba , eka aro , eka san, ekurole, eka ale .

Eka aro is good morning
Eka San is good afternoon
Eku irole is good evening

So why is eka ale good evening instead of good night whilst oda aro is good night.?

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by UndauntedYOCA(f): 8:28pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:
Lol, so once I call you I can just say "good night"?lol.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by oxiide22(m): 8:40pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:
My evening starts from 4pm.. 5pm good evening. 8pm good night..
then you're wrong
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Tousteejay: 9:02pm On May 16, 2020
lemme shed light on this, once u said good night I.e u are saying u will both see in the following morning..

And from 5pm till 11: 59 pm is good evening unless u are heading home that you cant see that person again, that's when you say good night....

You can even say ur goodnight from anything 4pm once u know u aren't gonna see that person again that day...

We have good morning, good afternoon, good evening and finally good night
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by femi4: 9:36pm On May 16, 2020
Doyin2:
In the morning: Good morning
Afternoon: Good afternoon
Evening. : Good evening
Night. : Good Night evening?

i am still wondering why "Good Night "is an orphan,used only at sleep time.
"Good night" can also be used to bid farewell in the evening.

English is a language with many clauses, no general rule/law
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by brosiye99(m): 10:03pm On May 16, 2020
Good ebening
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by MrPac(m): 10:07pm On May 16, 2020
seanwilliam:
abi oo.. highest thing oyinbo go talk na good morning, hello, hey, hi.. especially Americans. but for here, we go sha one show say we go school even some go dey argue English with airtel free basic oo grin
grin
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by thesmallgod(m): 10:10pm On May 16, 2020
You didn't put good ebening
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by boomssey(f): 10:12pm On May 16, 2020
Bjteensdes24:
Hello, please this baffles me as I wonder why most people greet one another 'good evening' when it is dusk (5pm or 6pm) and also when the night finally comes(7pm).

Anybody to explain that better is there any correlation between those two words? If yes, why? Cos dusk is still a bit of day
you know I was actually thinking of this topic today.
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by ylaa(f): 10:21pm On May 16, 2020
Oga u missed it, evening na from 4pm oh.

uote author=MrBrownJay1 post=89595073]its either good morning, good afternoon or good evening....and to many people, 5pm is early evening so they just use good evening (as they cant use the 2 others).[/quote]
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Amicable24: 10:25pm On May 16, 2020
Crixxx:

So when someone knocks at your door by 8pm, you'll open and say, "good night"
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Decsix(m): 10:30pm On May 16, 2020
SCAM ALERT- Fake Acess Bank CC I wish to report this username Pateffy's who sent me a mail through my nairaland account. so i checked my mail. i saw mail sent to my yahoo account that have my access bank acount details. immediately a confirmation message was sent to my phone with a code. i got a call from a number 07040502553 claiming to be access bank customer care demanding for the code that was sent to me. telling me stories of how someone is trying to login into my account. i suspected scam and cut the call. he called me several times. i didnt pick. so my true caller got the above name Pateffy's from facebook id as the caller. kindly Investigate this guy and punish him duly to save other nairalanders of falling into the guy sinister act. Thanks. Supermod help push to front page to prevent other Good hearted Nairalanders from Fall Prey to this sinister acts. Beware of PATEFFY'S
Re: What's The Difference Between 'Good Evening' (5pm) And 'Good Evening' (8pm)? by Retrography(m): 10:33pm On May 16, 2020
dayleke:
That is why I love my Yoruba language.
Good evening is "E Ku irole o " .

8pm greeting na "E kaale o ".

Here we go again.
What about the wrong side of Yoruba language whereby you tell someone good night (Oda'aro) around 1PM in the afternoon because you won't see the person again till the next day?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tunji Epketi-Micheal UI's 500Level Rusticated Student Of / Nigerian Breaks Academic Record At University Of Manchester!!! Photos / UNILAG Students Chilling After Their Arrest At Their Convocation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.