Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! (5934 Views)

NIGERIAN Upwork Freelancers To Start Paying VAT By April / Successful Upwork Freelancers, Please Come To My Aid! / Upwork Freelancers, Do Come In. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 6:49pm On May 16, 2020
Hi, guys!

So, I have been doing some research on Upwork about lots of things regarding freelancers, and I have come to realize certain things. One of them, which leads to my concern is that, several clients have been pissed finding out that their hired freelancer lied about their name, location, or stuff like that. Some hit up freelancers who claim they are in the UK, but it turns out that they are in India or some other region. Bummer. (Just google it)

I have also tried researching how Nigerian Upwork freelancers are fairing on the platform and the data I received is really conflicting and for the most part, discouraging. I have also come across some community threads with some Nigerians defending the platform as being supportive and fair to Nigerians, yet most of those defenders have not really been active on the platform.

So, I want to hear from you.

How is working on the platform as a Nigerian like for you, as writer, programmer, etc? Mostly writers, since you guys need to compete with those born or in native English-speaking countries?

Are you able to secure gigs like every other day, week, or month?

Can you easily up you raise there like up to 0.05/word or $50/hour and still secure great jobs whenever?

I have seen several accounts who their great days was in 2019 or 2017 and some who have two to three works per year, and some who only have two jobs on their account. I have also seen those who have been on it for years, like way back to 2014? With lots of completed projects, but in the recent years, lesser works too with some having bad pays, for those who agree to disclose the sum.

So, please, help me out here. How is it like for you operating your Nigerian Upwork account and is it worth it?

Thanks for your time,
Jet.
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by naijacutee(f): 7:31pm On May 16, 2020
Caveat: I'm Nigerian and on Upwork, but I don't live in Nigeria so I don't know if my advice counts.

From my experience as a black person on Upwork, I get around 1 out of 4 jobs I bid for. So basically, if I want a job I bid for 4.

I charge $35 an hour (I jumped from $7/ hour to $35/ hour after I woke up and realised my worth) and clients have no issues paying me my fees. If they can't afford it then no problems.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by meetme01: 7:35pm On May 16, 2020
Jetjacky:
Hi, guys!

So, I have been doing some research on Upwork about lots of things regarding freelancers, and I have come to realize certain things. One of them, which leads to my concern is that, several clients have been pissed finding out that their hired freelancer lied about their name, location, or stuff like that. Some hit up freelancers who claim they are in the UK, but it turns out that they are in India or some other region. Bummer. (Just google it)

I have also tried researching how Nigerian Upwork freelancers are fairing on the platform and the data I received is really conflicting and for the most part, discouraging. I have also come across some community threads with some Nigerians defending the platform as being supportive and fair to Nigerians, yet most of those defenders have not really been active on the platform.

How is working on the platform as a Nigerian like for you, as writer, programmer, etc? Mostly writers, since you guys need to compete with those born or in native English-speaking countries?

Can you easily up you raise there like up to 0.05/word or $50/hour and still secure great jobs whenever?

I have seen several accounts who their great days was in 2019 or 2017 and some who have two to three works per year, and some who only have two jobs on their account. I have also seen those who have been on it for years, like way back to 2014? With lots of completed projects, but in the recent years, lesser works too with some having bad pays, for those who agree to disclose the sum.

So, please, help me out here. How is it like for you operating your Nigerian Upwork account and is it worth it?

Thanks for your time,
Jet.

To be candid, it's not easy to get jobs on Upwork has a Nigerian. Clients just want the work done but they are aware of our infrastructural deficiency. It takes extra work to proof you are capable of fixing it within the allocated time. I work on only one niche (data entry and data mining), I give samples and make sure my proposal is tailored towards the job. Still, nothing to show for my time and expenses.

I have been working there since 2018. I got verified last year. Till date, I have earned $130 including Upwork charges. This year alone, I have spent over $30 to buy coins and yet, no job.

Upwork is no play group at all especially for Nigerians.. Nigerian factor is embedded

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by meetme01: 7:37pm On May 16, 2020
naijacutee:
Caveat: I'm Nigerian and on Upwork, but I don't live in Nigeria so I don't know if my advice counts.

From my experience as a black person on Upwork, I get around 1 out of 4 jobs I bid for. So basically, if I want a job I bid for 4.

I charge $35 an hour (I jumped from $7/ hour to $35/ hour after I woke up and realised my worth) and clients have no issues paying me my fees. If they can't afford it then no problems.

Your present abode is where you chose not Nigeria. It works better like that..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 2:33pm On May 17, 2020
naijacutee:

You are safe. You can even go as far as charging $50 since you are not in Nigeria, and hopefully in a native English speaking country. ��

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 2:37pm On May 17, 2020
meetme01:

To be candid, it's not easy to get jobs on Upwork has a Nigerian. Clients just want the work done but they are aware of our infrastructural deficiency. It takes extra work to proof you are capable of fixing it within the allocated time. I work on only one niche (data entry and data mining), I give samples and make sure my proposal is tailored towards the job. Still, nothing to show for my time and expenses.

I have been working there since 2018. I got verified last year. Till date, I have earned $130 including Upwork charges. This year alone, I have spent over $30 to buy coins and yet, no job.

Upwork is no play group at all especially for Nigerians.. Nigerian factor is embedded

This is my fear bro. Running with a foreign location might help, but like I said earlier, some clients get pieced when they figure this out and stop working with the Freelancer. Some go as far as reporting them.

That amount is pretty discouraging to be honest. How can someone survive with that?

I don't even think it is something Upwork can fix. What do you think is the way out?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Zikar: 3:24pm On May 17, 2020
meetme01:

I'm really interested in your case. Could it be your niche or your country? Because I won't lie to you $130 since 2018 is extremely small.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by stagger: 3:28pm On May 17, 2020
I have never considered the Nigerian factor to be a limitation. It is all in the mind.

Your world is what you make it to be. If you cannot operate from Nigeria on Upwork, consider moving to another location in Africa.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by meetme01: 3:30pm On May 17, 2020
Zikar:

I'm really interested in your case. Could it be your niche or your country? Because I won't lie to you $130 since 2018 is extremely small.

The niche has a lot jobs on Upwork like others. I am 24hrs online with uninterrupted power via Solar. I send proposals as early as possible to jobs I can handle. My portal has the verification mark. It's my country I suggest. It's a turn off for many clients.

The way forward, I have thought of many but since it's business, Upwork cannot because of my country change their policy.

To me, hustle continues.
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Zikar: 5:50pm On May 17, 2020
meetme01:

The niche has a lot jobs on Upwork like others. I am 24hrs online with uninterrupted power via Solar. I send proposals as early as possible to jobs I can handle. My portal has the verification mark. It's my country I suggest. It's a turn off for many clients.

The way forward, I have thought of many but since it's business, Upwork cannot because of my country change their policy.

To me, hustle continues.

Change your country.
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by naijacutee(f): 7:32pm On May 17, 2020
meetme01:

Your present abode is where you chose not Nigeria. It works better like that..

stagger:
I have never considered the Nigerian factor to be a limitation. It is all in the mind.

Your world is what you make it to be. If you cannot operate from Nigeria on Upwork, consider moving to another location in Africa.

I agree with @stagger. The Nigerian factor has no limitations that cannot be surmounted. My location only helps with electricity and internet nothing else. I have other challenges that many people don't have. I have small children which I drop at school at 7.30am, then work Monday to Friday 8am to 5.30pm before picking kids up at 6.00pm. So I don't even have much time to bid for jobs and do them. I wake up at 5am every morning and do my bids/jobs for 1 hour before I get the kids ready. At night, I put kids to bed between 8 - 9pm and work till midnight.

As we speak, I am on Nairaland even though I have a job due tomorrow because my children are making noise and I can't work. We all have different challenges

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by naijacutee(f): 7:39pm On May 17, 2020
meetme01:

I think your problems might be the way you're bidding. I learnt to adjust my bids and put customers problems first.

Let me help you. Paste the recent job you bidded for ans your proposal and I will troubleshoot it for you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by meetme01: 7:41pm On May 17, 2020
naijacutee:

I think your problems might be the way you're bidding. I learnt to adjust my bids and put customers problems first.

Let me help you. Paste the recent job you bidded for ans your proposal and I will troubleshoot it for you.

I'll appreciate
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by meetme01: 8:35pm On May 17, 2020
naijacutee.. Sent on a dead thread. Kindly review. Thanka
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 9:12pm On May 17, 2020
stagger:

which location do you operate from? Nigeria or somewhere else?
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 9:14pm On May 17, 2020
naijacutee:

this is great, do you operate from a Nigerian location and on what niche?
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by VictorBode(m): 9:15pm On May 17, 2020
Jetjacky:
Hi, guys!

Thanks for your time,
Jet.

I charge $30/hr on upwork and being a Nigerian has zero effect.

The problem is most people dont know how to send proposals and optimize their profiles.

I'm also on fiverr too and still doing fine.

What people dont know is that Nigeria is better than so many countries.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 9:17pm On May 17, 2020
Zikar:

Change your country.
then how do you conduct video interviews with clients? That can seriously up your money if you can.
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 9:19pm On May 17, 2020
VictorBode:

The problem is most people dont know how to send proposals and optimize their profiles.

please explain further. This is really interesting.

I hope the Upwork account is Nigerian? Do you also do writing gigs on it?

On a different topic, I just created a fiver account a month ago. Do you know how I can get my first few clients? I have got nothing yet.
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by damilare96(m): 12:07am On May 18, 2020
I’m a writer but I’m not good with sending proposals, is there any yoy can help me please
VictorBode:

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by chudim1: 12:45am On May 18, 2020
[Advert removed]
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Zikar: 12:45am On May 18, 2020
Jetjacky:
then how do you conduct video interviews with clients? That can seriously up your money if you can.

You don't have a problem with video interviews as long as you put your real picture.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by naijacutee(f): 6:00am On May 18, 2020
meetme01:
naijacutee.. Sent on a dead thread. Kindly review. Thanka

Please share the rationale for doing that as I'm a bit confused. Why not put it on the relevant thread to keep the conversation relevant? You don't need to add any personal identifying information. Just copy & paste the relevant sections (i.e job ad, proposal) and I will review. Also it would be of benefit to people here.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 8:09am On May 18, 2020
Zikar:

You don't have a problem with video interviews as long as you put your real picture.

But what about your surrounding and the difference in time zone?
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by U1(m): 8:10am On May 18, 2020
meetme01:

Bro, I'd advise that you consider acquiring new skills or fine-tuning the ones you already have to enable you shift to another niche. The data entry category is inundated, more so than the writing category.

I started with web research, data collection, and data entry many years ago. But I had to learn a bit about writing to enable me transition to writing. The competition from the Indians was fierce, in terms of delivery time and cost.

I still do writing on Upwork today, if available. I mostly write how-to's and content addressing specific phenomena or topics (e.g. "What are cash discounting programs?" ). I don't do ad copies and the like because they require more than just ability to write IMHO.

There is competition in writing as well, but I think it's a bit better than data entry.

I have always flown the Nigerian flag and that hasn't really hindered me from getting jobs. The only downside I see, being a non-native, is that you usually get paid less - the more reason I have been trying to reduce the time I spend on such jobs.

However, this country could have told harder on me were it not mainly for those freelance jobs I get now and then.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 8:12am On May 18, 2020
naijacutee:

Please share the rationale for doing that as I'm a bit confused. Why not put it on the relevant thread to keep the conversation relevant? You don't need to add any personal identifying information. Just copy & paste the relevant sections (i.e job ad, proposal) and I will review. Also it would be of benefit to people here.
I agree.
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 8:23am On May 18, 2020
U1:

Bro, I'd advise that you consider acquiring new skills or fine-tuning the ones you already have to enable you shift to another niche. The data entry category is inundated, more so than the writing category.

I started with web research, data collection, and data entry many years ago. But I had to learn a bit about writing to enable me transition to writing. The competition from the Indians was fierce, in terms of delivery time and cost.

I still do writing on Upwork today, if available. I mostly write how-to's and content addressing specific phenomena or topics (e.g. "What are cash discounting programs?" ). I don't do ad copies and the like because they require more than just ability to write IMHO.

There is competition in writing as well, but I think it's a bit better than data entry.

I have always flown the Nigerian flag and that hasn't really hindered me from getting jobs. The only downside I see, being a non-native, is that you usually get paid less - the more reason I have been trying to reduce the time I spend on such jobs.

However, this country could have told harder on me were it not mainly for those freelance jobs I get now and then.

So, securing jobs is not your issue. The second one is, being paid well for it. Are you able to charge at least $0.03/word for it ($30/1000 words)

About the native speaking. That's another problem. Some Nigerians have native level mastery in either American or British. There are others who are also native speakers by birth, because English is their first and sometimes their only language, even though born and bred in Nigeria.

But I have noticed that some potential clients don't listen or count this variable when looking for Native Speakers.
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by stagger: 8:29am On May 18, 2020
Jetjacky:
which location do you operate from? Nigeria or somewhere else?

Account was opened and has run from Nigeria since. But I have more permanent gigs direct with some companies so I do Upwork rarely now. But my experience has been that if you are good, the employers are colour-blind. They do not care where you come from.

One of the gigs I do now with a company in Europe involves a team of 5 persons from around the world. I am the highest paid in a team that features two Europeans.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 8:40am On May 18, 2020
stagger:

Account was opened and has run from Nigeria since. But I have more permanent gigs direct with some companies so I do Upwork rarely now. But my experience has been that if you are good, the employers are colour-blind. They do not care where you come from.

One of the gigs I do now with a company in Europe involves a team of 5 persons from around the world. I am the highest paid in a team that features two Europeans.
That really says a lot. I have lost two mind-blowing full-time and long-term jobs due to this inconsistency.

This is one of the reasons I have been doing this research more often and need to really know the right path to follow. My hourly rate is $50/hour.

I want to be able to be at my best, exceeding the limits.
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by G12(m): 11:00am On May 18, 2020
naijacutee:

Hi, I'm having an issue with someone you vouched for in one thread for over 2 weeks now. He's been making my life miserable for 2 weeks after I sent him payment for UpWork training. I wouldn't want to disclose his moniker yet. Please, I need to talk to you. Maybe he'll listen to you since you trust him.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by VictorBode(m): 11:09am On May 18, 2020
Jetjacky:
please explain further. This is really interesting.

I hope the Upwork account is Nigerian? Do you also do writing gigs on it?

On a different topic, I just created a fiver account a month ago. Do you know how I can get my first few clients? I have got nothing yet.

Yes the upwork account is Nigerian. I'm a copywriter. So I write all kinds of ad copies and emails...

Once you're good. Clients will pay you and leave a great review and come back for more jobs.

The best tips are quality work and good personal connections.

For Fiverr, it's about optimizing your profile, arranging your gigs in packages and using key words.
Re: Nigerian Upwork Freelancers Please Step In Here For A Minute I Need Your Help! by Jetjacky(m): 11:28am On May 18, 2020
VictorBode:

Yes the upwork account is Nigerian. I'm a copywriter. So I write all kinds of ad copies and emails...

Once you're good. Clients will pay you and leave a great review and come back for more jobs.

The best tips are quality work and good personal connections.

https://www.fiverr.com/drcopywriting?

For Fiverr, it's about optimizing your profile, arranging your gigs in packages and using keywords.
Well, I have the quality work covered real good, just need the assurance that working from NG location is a good call in regards to securing high paying gigs 24/7 (as needed).

About the Fiverr. I have tried my best. Can you spare few minutes of your time to review the account and two gigs I have up, maybe you will notice something I am doing wrong??

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

MTN: The Oliver Twist Of Our Time! / How I Make Over 70k Daily In Telecoms/VTU Business (VIDEO) / Do You Read Terms And Conditions Before Buying A Product?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.