Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,979 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) (63978 Views)

Psychological Slavery In Africa / Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States / Slavery In Calabar: A Psychic Journey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Truckpusher(m): 4:44pm On Sep 04, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Truckie...you lil dick bish. grin
You have no idea what i have done with this gigantic young soldier ,always standing at attention not to be compared to that old veteran you wretchedly climb all night long without satisfaction. grin
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Truckpusher(m): 4:46pm On Sep 04, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Nawl...I am on Ezizdummy now. grin
Lmao grin grin grin grin @ EZIZIDUMMY.......sounds like an African version of humpty dumpty cheesy
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by SEWORLD(m): 5:43pm On Sep 04, 2013
Is Usa visa lottery not part of it, Advance Salve
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 10:05pm On Sep 04, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I'm not denying that. I was referring to the fact that you made up some Caribbean-guy-and-Igbo-pride-in-slavery-documentary tale which I debunked and I don't believe. I only asked for verifiable links to such so-called documentary and then I can comment on that. Coming to the issue of slave trade, In fact, I'm well versed in the dynamics of the Transatlantic Slave Trade and the respective african ethnicities that were sold into the slave trade. Going through my past posts of around early this year will confirm that. Kails and I have been through the slave trade topic severally in February this year, she got my point and she also knows where I stand.

Slave trade is a thing of the past. Its nothing to be proud of. Africans didn't initiate the slave trade. Whites came looking for black slaves themselves, and Africans played ball. It was a 50-50 game. There would never have been a Transatlantic slave trade if the whites didn't come looking for slaves in the first place.

That's bygone anyway. We are talking about current issues, you're bringing up past issues. Current issues and dynamics facing the Nigerian and AA peoples is the topic of our discourse. If you want to discuss slave trade and history, I promise you I'll give you a good run for your money. But that will be tomorrow. Its 1am wednesday midnight here. And my eyes are heavy.

Catch you tomorrow. wink

Hello Bigbadfrancis21. Why do they call you that because of your ego? grin

Funny how you tried to dodge the discussion saying that we are talking about current issues. . I believe the name of this post is SLAVERY IN THE UNITED STATES.

What amuses me MOST is that you said that the slave trade was a 50-50 game between Africans and Europeans.
When SLAVERY has been practiced in Africa LONG BEFORE, European Arrival. It was just the done thing. .
If you were a captive of War, or you owed a Debt, OR committed a crime, the PUNISHMENT was SLAVERY!!! wink

Please just DENY it? grin

As far back as you look in AFRICAN HISTORY you will find slavery!!!

When you ALREADY are practicing such a trade, it must be like a dream come true when long haired pale skin men arrive on your shores on Magnificent ships with NEW weapons, horses, RUM and Fabrics and trinkets like never seen before on your continent. I ALMOST DONT BLAME YOU!! grin grin

Did you know that Africa was not the first choice for slaves to work on the sugar plantations of the WEST INDIES

The Europeans enslaved the ARAWWAK and TAINO peoples first, but they were not strong enough to do the work and also their immunity to European diseases was next to nothing until most of them died.

But NEVER EVER did any of these POOR ARAWAK peoples SELL their OWN Children!!!
They PREFERED to Die with THEM!!

The Europeans knew that in Africa they could get slaves without any resistance
Which of other RACE of people would be so happy to give up their own children and countrymen but Africans?

Can you tell me one other Bigfrancis21?? grin grin

Anyway back to my Documentary? It was over ten Years AGO, I did not even have the INTERNET THEN!! and to be quite frank I DONT CARE WHEATHER YOU BELEIVE IT OR NOT. I found it very productive to LEARN that my AFRICAN COUSINS have no regret for selling THEIR OWN KINSMEN. I am happy to share what I saw with my fellow AA'S AND Caribbeans

IT MUST OFFEND YOU so you have made a choice not to believe it. cry

Peace my Brother grin
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 10:39pm On Sep 04, 2013
eziza:

I will take some blame when you are ready to take some. You ancestors were slaves masters you bought and sold their own. And yes, they did fight for slavery not to end so that they can keep owning slaves. Yea, I know they skipped that in your history class and blamed whitey and Africans for slavery. GTFOHWTBS! lol.

I don't understand what you are blaming my Ancestors for??

You are not making any sense embarassed

They obviously were captured and Enslaved. So what exactly are you blaming them for??

If you are unaware a slave has NO RIGHTS and makes NO decision of their OWN?

Just grow up and admit Africans are responsible for selling their OWN Children.

I might even have a little respect for you then grin
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 11:02pm On Sep 04, 2013
eziza:

Oh, how did I miss one. So you mean to tell me, after all these years, you've still not healed? Keep healing there while the black immigrant population gradually take over. Mind you, Obama is from that same black immigrant stock and not the descendant of slaves stock....I guess because you needed more time to heal. Keep healing there, you hear? You can have all the time in the world!

Well eziza you have only proved you are insensitive to the trauma of my PEOPLE on a psychological level.
I am Happy for Obama as a fellow Brother regardless of whether he is of slave stock or not.
However you act as if African American's have not made any notable achievements.

Did you not know that when the First Lady Michelle met Barrack Obama he had NO JOB??

Yes he had a degree but NO JOB.

Michelle Obama was a successful Lawyer and the main breadwinner in their house hold for TEN YEARS, until Obama learned how to fly.

And you know what they say, Behind every great man there is a great WOMAN!! wink

eziza you are the type of African who looks only at the negative things about Afro-Americans and then Tar them all with the same brush.

Shall we do that with Africans or Nigerians in particular for a moment.

Who saw the documentary WELCOME TO LAGOS??

Many Nigerians were upset by how that programme portrayed them.

Do all Nigerians work on a dumpsite??

Of course not. . but the program only focused on the negatives regardless.

Or shall we mention fraud and 419 Scams which is rampant in Nigeria.
Shall we say all Nigerians are responsible for this??

Or shall we listen to the White Mans LIES that HIV/AIDS comes from Africa??

I have heard white men tell me this to my Face!!

I can keep going on about African stereotypes if you like, but the thing is stereotypes are not productive!! wink

SO PLEASE HAVE A THINK BEFORE YOU INSULT AND STEREOTYPE AFRICAN AMERICANS
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by eziza: 1:12am On Sep 05, 2013
lol...Nice way of dodging the issue. Come up with all sorts of rants while you avoid the facts. But the fact remains you folks (the freed slaves amongst you) bought and sold their kind and they helped perpetuate the institution of slavery. When you are ready to take responsibility for that, maybe people will start taking you seriously. Until then, peace.
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by MrsChima(f): 1:48am On Sep 05, 2013
Lol at Truckie trying to entice me with his pinkie toe. grin
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Truckpusher(m): 6:24am On Sep 05, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
Lol at Truckie trying to entice me with his pinkie toe. grin
angry undecided grin
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 05, 2013
Jayvarley:

Funny how you tried to dodge the discussion saying that we are talking about current issues. . I believe the name of this post is SLAVERY IN THE UNITED STATES.

What amuses me MOST is that you said that the slave trade was a 50-50 game between Africans and Europeans.
When SLAVERY has been practiced in Africa LONG BEFORE, European Arrival. It was just the done thing. .
If you were a captive of War, or you owed a Debt, OR committed a crime, the PUNISHMENT was SLAVERY!!! wink

When you ALREADY are practicing such a trade, it must be like a dream come true when long haired pale skin men arrive on your shores on Magnificent ships with NEW weapons, horses, RUM and Fabrics and trinkets like never seen before on your continent. I ALMOST DONT BLAME YOU!! grin grin

Which of other RACE of people would be so happy to give up their own children and countrymen but Africans?

I hope you know some people from 'all over the place' might stumble of this post and run with it. Mistaking them for facts and it's not gonna help you or anybody.

How did you come up with those?
I understand it's easier these days to blame Africans because it's been realised that the whiteman don't give two hoots about what a niqqa gotta say about the slave trade.
Better still, they shift the blame, knowing fully well you're gonna run with it.
The only person that can originate such lies up there is a culprit of the slave trade.

"If you were a captive of war or you owed a debt or you commit a crime, the punishment was slavery"?
Now why would you peddle lies such as this.
The first slaves to Britain were indentured servants!
Now why do you think this was so?
Because "slavery" as you understand it now wasn't existent where they brought those niggas from.
The "slaves" in Africa as you claim had rights man!
You maltreat him and he could appeal to the authorities. Plus at some point, they might be given their "freedom".
It would really go a long way if you bother to elaborate on the claims you made up there.

This is not to absolve anybody of any blame but rather not to peddle inaccuracies in the spirit of trying win an argument.
Peace#
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by bigfrancis21: 8:15am On Sep 05, 2013
Jayvarley:

Did you know that Africa was not the first choice for slaves to work on the sugar plantations of the WEST INDIES

The Europeans enslaved the ARAWWAK and TAINO peoples first, but they were not strong enough to do the work and also their immunity to European diseases was next to nothing until most of them died.

But NEVER EVER did any of these POOR ARAWAK peoples SELL their OWN Children!!!
They PREFERED to Die with THEM!!

Can you tell me one other Bigfrancis21?? grin grin

Anyway back to my Documentary? It was over ten Years AGO, I did not even have the INTERNET THEN!! and to be quite frank I DONT CARE WHEATHER YOU BELEIVE IT OR NOT. I found it very productive to LEARN that my AFRICAN COUSINS have no regret for selling THEIR OWN KINSMEN. I am happy to share what I saw with my fellow AA'S AND Caribbeans

IT MUST OFFEND YOU so you have made a choice not to believe it. cry

Peace my Brother grin

I saw this your post last night but I was too busy(watching a movie actually) to reply you. wink

@Bold...yes. The Transatlantic Slave Trade was a 50-50 game between Africans and Americans. The whites came looking for slaves in Africa. It was not as if Africans captured their own, and shipped them off to Americans. There wouldn't have been any slave trade in the first place if whites hadn't come looking for slaves in the first place.

Second, before the Transatlantic Slave trade, Africans had slaves but these slaves were NOT maltreated the way the white slave masters were known to maltreat their slaves. Read up Olaudah Ekwuano's, the Igbo ex-slave, slave account where he described the African slave trade system as not being, in any way, like the Transatlantic slave trade. These slaves were more like servants who adopted the surnames of their masters and with time were absorbed into the lineages of their hosts. Slaves in Africa were not subjected to the most horrible and inhuman forms of slave conditions. The African Slave Trade system, for example in Igbo and Ibibio lands, was in no way like the US Slave trade system where human beings were bounded in chains, pressed with hot irons to give them horrible marks, subjected under the worst of human living conditions, and what have you. Why don't you first throw blames at the White people for that before trading blames at Africans? Or you're just scared, right? Your manliness stops right at whites but you develop an attitude at your fellow blacks. How manly of you. grin

In certain situations in the US during the slave trade era, whites slave owners often made black men slave masters to proper control other slaves since all were blacks, and these black sub-masters were known to be more wicked and inhuman than the white masters themselves. It was a terrible scene to watch black people mete out terrible maltreatment against their fellow blacks. Black people were also known to be slave masters and owned black slaves too! How about that? African americans also participated in the slave trade and you come here throwing fingers at Africans. Very pathetic indeed.

Of course I don't believe your fabricated documentary. You don't just throw pebbles into my throat and expect me to swallow them, right?
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 8:17am On Sep 05, 2013
kwangi: I hope you know some people from 'all over the place' might stumble of this post and run with it. Mistaking them for facts and it's not gonna help you or anybody.

How did you come up with those?
I understand it's easier these days to blame Africans because it's been realised that the whiteman don't give two hoots about what a niqqa gotta say about the slave trade.
Better still, they shift the blame, knowing fully well you're gonna run with it.
The only person that can originate such lies up there is a culprit of the slave trade.

"If you were a captive of war or you owed a debt or you commit a crime, the punishment was slavery"?
Now why would you peddle lies such as this.
The first slaves to Britain were indentured servants!
Now why do you think this was so?
Because "slavery" as you understand it now wasn't existent where they brought those niggas from.
The "slaves" in Africa as you claim had rights man!
You maltreat him and he could appeal to the authorities. Plus at some point, they might be given their "freedom".
It would really go a long way in elaborating on the claims you made up there.

This is not to absolve anybody of any blame but rather not to peddle inaccuracies in the spirit of trying win an argument.
Peace#

What can I say? THE TRUTH HURTS, nevertheless it remains true!!

White men during the 1500's were not CRAZY ENOUGH to venture deep into a strange continent with unknown and possibly dangerous tribes and peoples to just begin with.

Ask you self does it sound like they take such a risk??

If that were the case they would have been swiftly outnumbered and executed.

And generally when you look much different to the rest of the population on a continent, People will look at you, be suspicious of you and even want to KILL YOU!!

Also the Caucasian mans lack of pigmentation meant that they had NO PROTECTION against SUNBURN and may I add the fact that Europeans had no resistance to African Diseases such a Malaria, Dengue fever and many other maladies that could be found in Africa. Without the medicine of today they would have been well and truly FINISHED.

So one must ask themselves? Did Millions of AFRICANS voluntarily MARCH across the continent to the WEST COAST to enter into a life of SLAVERY??

I THINK NOT.

They were captured by the people who knew them the MOST. Who knew their weaknesses and the vulnerabilities.

Would any WHITE MAN risk being killed just because he wants a slave?

Of course not when you can't send Africans to do it!!

At least that way if the PROSPECTIVE SLAVE does not want to be captured fights back and kills his attacker, the white man simply hires another African to take his place, rather than risk his own neck!!

If the ENGLISH were that stupid they would have never conquered the WORLD!!

The ENGLISH have always used one simple strategy that works every time when conquering the peoples around the globe?

DIVIDE AND RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will say it again for the thick people here "DIVIDE AND RULE!!!"

If your enemies fight against themselves then when everything is over you collect the winnings!

Simple. .

And Please don't feed me any of this "slaves had rights" CRAP

I SUGGEST you learn the BASIC history of slavery . .

When you are a slave, you don't go home when you want to, simple shite like that you should know.

Do you know how many slaves committed suicide?? Especially the IGBO,

They were known for suicide, many of them preferred to DIE than live as a slave!

Don't you think that millions of Black people would have applied to the authorities for maltreatment if
the authorities cared?

At the beginning of this post there is a picture of BLACK MANS back SCARRED BY WHIPPINGS?

Do you think that he complained to the authorities for maltreatment

When will African Blacks UNDERSTAND that SLAVERY is NOT an EXAGERATION but a REALITY that has displaced Africans
to different places around the world and caused us to lose our culture and most of ALL cause us NOT TO BE ACCEPTED BY NATIVE AFRICANS!!
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 8:42am On Sep 05, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I saw this your post last night but I was too busy(watching a movie actually) to reply you. wink

@Bold...yes. The Transatlantic Slave Trade was a 50-50 game between Africans and Americans. The whites came looking for slaves in Africa. It was not as if Africans captured their own, and shipped them off to Americans. There wouldn't have been any slave trade in the first place if whites hadn't come looking for slaves in the first place.

Second, before the Transatlantic Slave trade, Africans had slaves but these slaves were NOT maltreated the way the white slave masters were known to maltreat their slaves. Read up Olaudah Ekwuano's, the Igbo ex-slave, slave account where he described the African slave trade system as not being, in any way, like the Transatlantic slave trade. These slaves were more like servants who adopted the surnames of their masters and with time were absorbed into the lineages of their hosts. Slaves in Africa were not subjected to the most horrible and inhuman forms of slave conditions. The African Slave Trade system, for example in Igbo and Ibibio lands, was in no way like the US Slave trade system where human beings were bounded in chains, pressed with hot irons to give them horrible marks, subjected under the worst of human living conditions, and what have you. Why don't you first throw blames at the White people for that before trading blames at Africans? Or you're just scared, right? Your manliness stops right at whites but you develop an attitude at your fellow blacks. How manly of you. grin

In certain situations in the US during the slave trade era, whites slave owners often made black men slave masters to proper control other slaves since all were blacks, and these black sub-masters were known to be more wicked and inhuman than the white masters themselves. It was a terrible scene to watch black people mete out terrible maltreatment against their fellow blacks. Black people were also known to be slave masters and owned black slaves too! How about that? African americans also participated in the slave trade and you come here throwing fingers at Africans. Very pathetic indeed.

Of course I don't believe your fabricated documentary. You don't just throw pebbles into my throat and expect me to swallow them, right?

Bigbadfrancis21 We meet again Brother grin

I am happy that you made a admission about slavery in Africa. We are making progress. grin

I am already aware of the system of slavery that was present in Africa prior to European arrival.

Yes YOU ARE RIGHT it was not a cruel as the transatlantic slave trade.

And yes of course there were plenty of UNCLE TOMS in the US who became SLAVE DRIVERS or OVERSEERS
because the wanted an easier life for themselves.

It's always better the have the whip in your hand than on your back.

But you still cannot put that in the same league as SELLING your OWN PEOPLE.

I DO give you some credit though, you are an intelligent person, however your arrogance ruins it.

Peace Bigbadfrancis21
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Nobody: 8:44am On Sep 05, 2013
Jayvarley:

And Please don't feed me any of this "slaves had rights" CRAP

I SUGGEST you learn the BASIC history of slavery . .

When you are a slave, you don't go home when you want to, simple shite like that you should know.

Do you know how many slaves committed suicide?? Especially the IGBO,

They were known for suicide, many of them preferred to DIE than live as a slave!

Don't you think that millions of Black people would have applied to the authorities for maltreatment if
the authorities cared?

At the beginning of this post there is a picture of BLACK MANS back SCARRED BY WHIPPINGS?

Do you think that he complained to the authorities for maltreatment

Good Lord! Jeez!
Snap out of your delirium!
Did you read the post you quoted.
If you read it, why would you misrepresent my words?
Man, I'm just trying to put you clear on the things I'm sure of so (like I said) you don't go on peddling inaccuracies.

Now why would you claim I was talking about 'new world' slaves?
All through my post I was enlightening you on how the so-called "slavery" was run in Africa!
There were even inverted comas on the "slavery", YET you ran with the opposite, all because you want to win an argument.
Open your mind bro.
All I'm trying to do is help put things in the right perspective. So if you're looking for an adversary in me, you won't get it.

Hope you know there were black slavers too.
They were the worst set of people during that era.
But that's not an excuse for anything.
If you decide to believe what the perpetrators have fed you with, good for you.

You were just going on about divide and rule.
That's what they've played on the diaspora!
Including you. Look what you're about here.

Next time, I hope you can recognise divide and rule if it punched you in the face
Peace#
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by bigfrancis21: 9:16am On Sep 05, 2013
Jayvarley:

Bigbadfrancis21 We meet again Brother grin

I am happy that you made a admission about slavery in Africa. We are making progress. grin

I am already aware of the system of slavery that was present in Africa prior to European arrival.

Yes YOU ARE RIGHT it was not a cruel as the transatlantic slave trade.

And yes of course there were plenty of UNCLE TOMS in the US who became SLAVE DRIVERS or OVERSEERS
because the wanted an easier life for themselves.

It's always better the have the whip in your hand than on your back.

But you still cannot put that in the same league as SELLING your OWN PEOPLE.

I DO give you some credit though, you are an intelligent person, however your arrogance ruins it.

Peace Bigbadfrancis21

BadJayVarley...show me where I've been arrogant to you, sir? cheesy

I'm glad you accepted that there were Uncle Toms and African Americans did own slaves too. shocked What does that leave you with? Some African Americans revelled in the joy and ecstasy of owning slaves, yet you point a guilty finger at Africans for the same very guilt for which you supposedly enjoyed? Hello?? shocked
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 10:54am On Sep 05, 2013
bigfrancis21:

BadJayVarley...show me where I've been arrogant to you, sir? cheesy

I'm glad you accepted that there were Uncle Toms and African Americans did own slaves too. shocked What does that leave you with? Some African Americans revelled in the joy and ecstasy of owning slaves, yet you point a guilty finger at Africans for the same very guilt for which you supposedly enjoyed? Hello?? shocked

Bigfrancis21 Hi, Caribbean people and Afro-Americans have for a long time known they fact that were sold into slavery
But the handful of Uncle Toms that you are talking about: Who Oversaw slaves just because they preferred to do that rather the than be a victim, cannot be IN ANY WAY COMPARED TO THE SELLING OF 12 MILLION AFRICANS TO THE NEW WORLD??

I am glad though that you have ADMITTED that Africans sold Africans and also that a milder form of slavery existed in Africa before European Arrival. MOST Africans WILL NOT admit that!!!!!

If you look throughout this Topic you will see many Africans who are saying that I am Lying!!
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 11:06am On Sep 05, 2013
kwangi: Good Lord! Jeez!
Snap out of your delirium!
Did you read the post you quoted.
If you read it, why would you misrepresent my words?
Man, I'm just trying to put you clear on the things I'm sure of so (like I said) you don't go on peddling inaccuracies.

Now why would you claim I was talking about 'new world' slaves?
All through my post I was enlightening you on how the so-called "slavery" was run in Africa!
There were even inverted comas on the "slavery", YET you ran with the opposite, all because you want to win an argument.
Open your mind bro.
All I'm trying to do is help put things in the right perspective. So if you're looking for an adversary in me, you won't get it.

Hope you know there were black slavers too.
They were the worst set of people during that era.
But that's not an excuse for anything.
If you decide to believe what the perpetrators have fed you with, good for you.

You were just going on about divide and rule.
That's what they've played on the diaspora!
Including you. Look what you're about here.

Next time, I hope you can recognise divide and rule if it punched you in the face
Peace#

Why not for a moment accept A LITTLE GUILT FOR WHAT AFRICA had done to its Sons and Daughters??

You keep referring to a small number of UNCLE TOMS who were overseers and slave drivers because they preferred to be behind the whip rather than in front of it.

The small number of UNCLE TOMS you are referring to CAN NEVER BE COMPARED TO THE MILLIONS OF AFRICANS WHO WERE SHIPPED TO THE NEW WORLD.

There is NO COMPARISON! How ever you dry to Dress it UP!

Rather them Admit it and say yes WE WERE WRONG you just say other Blacks OWNED SLAVE TOO!

Even Bigfrancis21 will tell you, it was a 50-50 game meaning Africans sold Slaves to the Europeans for Goods.

I suggest you learn HISTORY before you start saying everything that does not sit well with you is a LIE grin
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 11:36am On Sep 05, 2013
eziza: lol...Nice way of dodging the issue. Come up with all sorts of rants while you avoid the facts. But the fact remains you folks (the freed slaves amongst you) bought and sold their kind and they helped perpetuate the institution of slavery. When you are ready to take responsibility for that, maybe people will start taking you seriously. Until then, peace.

I TAKE NO RESPONISIBLY, firstly because the Few Uncle Toms that you are talking about in the US can in NO WAY be compared to the powerful chiefs in Africa who Ordered the capturing of MILLIONS of SLAVES to be sent to the NEW WORD in the first place. Had that not been done there would have been NO UNCLE TOMS in the states who were simply overseers of slaves to save their own tails.

WE DID NOT INITIATE SLAVERY. . YOU DID

Can you tell me one other RACE that sells their own children to foreigners?? grin grin
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by eziza: 1:25pm On Sep 05, 2013
You do not want to take responsibility for your "uncle Toms" but you want me to take responsibility for my "powerful chiefs?", that's you dodging responsibility again. Ironically, it was one of you negroes who initiated slavery in the US, not powerful African chief or whitey. Until then, they were indentured servants until one of you said, "Hey, I want this nigger for life". Too bad you got the shortest end of your own deal and today, you are the ones whining about slavery. Cry me a river?

2 Likes

Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by eziza: 1:41pm On Sep 05, 2013
Jayvarley:

Rather them Admit it and say yes WE WERE WRONG you just say other Blacks OWNED SLAVE TOO!

But you did own slaves, or didn't you? You bought and sold slaves just like everyone else, so why are you exempting yourself from wrongdoing? And these were not just uncle Toms as you have desperately put it, but your women participated also. So what should we call them, aunt Jemimas? lolest!

2 Likes

Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 1:57pm On Sep 05, 2013
eziza:

But you did own slaves, or didn't you? You bought and sold slaves just like everyone else, so why are you exempting yourself from wrongdoing? And these were not just uncle Toms as you have desperately put it, your women participated also. So what should we call them, aunt Jemimas? lolest!

eziza, looks like you are running out of steam grin

You are also full of nonsense, I suggest you take a look back into history.

Maybe you should read Equiano's autobiography it will tell you about the SLAVERY THAT WAS PRACTICED IN AFRICA PRIOR TO EUROPEAN ARRIVAL.

Then perhaps you will understand that as far back as you go back in time THERE WAS ALWAYS SLAVERY and TRIBAL WARFARE IN AFRICA. Maybe you could even go as far back as the ARAB SLAVE TRADE.

Then you will finally see why SO MANY OF THE AFRICAN DIASPORA DO NOT WANT TO ASSOCIATE THEMSELVES WITH AFRICA! shocked

Have a little read IF YOU CARE ENOUGH TO LEARN!! grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by eziza: 2:05pm On Sep 05, 2013
lol...No, you are the one running out of steam. I have never denied that slavery existed in Africa. How can I? When there is a word for slave in my language? So try another line. All I am doing here is to say you were not exempted from the trade. You first helped initiate the institution in the US, and you participated in the trade just like everyone else. So why are you whining?
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 2:32pm On Sep 05, 2013
eziza: lol...No, you are the one running out of steam. I have never denied that slavery existed in Africa. How can I? When there is a word for slave in my language? So try another line. All I am doing here to say you were not exempted from the trade. You first helped initiate the institution in the US, and you participated in the trade just like everyone else. So why are you whining?

Oh eziza, So now you are NO LONGER DENYING IT?? grin

Slow Progress but steady grin grin

But I guess that's the best I'm going to get from you and I'm really pleased wink

However you need to back up these wild claims with some hard evidence!!

If a person is in a state of slavery, how and why would they perpetuate it??

Your Fathers sold my Fathers, is that so hard for you to grasp?

But instead you keep whining about those Uncle Toms in the states who would have been born in Africa if there OWN PEOPLE DID NOT SELL THEM OF COURSE! cheesy
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by eziza: 2:39pm On Sep 05, 2013
lol, like I said earlier, when you are ready to accept responsibility only then will people start taking you seriously. Until then, peace.
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 2:43pm On Sep 05, 2013
eziza: lol, like I said earlier, when you are ready to accept responsibility only then will people start taking you seriously. Until then, peace.

Nice copout grin I knew you were running out of steam! grin
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by eziza: 2:49pm On Sep 05, 2013
Running out of steam ke? I'm here. You are in a perpetual state of denial, when you are able to crawl out of it, let me know.
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by bigfrancis21: 2:55pm On Sep 05, 2013
Jayvarley:

Bigfrancis21 Hi, Caribbean people and Afro-Americans have for a long time known they fact that were sold into slavery
But the handful of Uncle Toms that you are talking about: Who Oversaw slaves just because they preferred to do that rather the than be a victim, cannot be IN ANY WAY COMPARED TO THE SELLING OF 12 MILLION AFRICANS TO THE NEW WORLD??

I am glad though that you have ADMITTED that Africans sold Africans and also that a milder form of slavery existed in Africa before European Arrival. MOST Africans WILL NOT admit that!!!!!

If you look through this Topic you will see many Africans who are saying that I am Lying!!

Talk about comparison, can that be compared to the inhuman treatment fellow blacks meted against their own? Or the worst of all maltreatment whites meted out against blacks?

Yea, Africans may have sold out their own but don't blame us for the current AA woes such as laziness, gangsterism, lack of college education, and what have you. All those are borne out of your free will. You gave your reason as 'african americans need time to heal'. Lmao.grin What bollocks! grin Its over 200 years and they've not healed yet? How much more time then do they need to supposedly heal?grin

Talk about healing, have you ever heard of the Biafran War that was fought between defunct Biafra(Igbo, Ibibio, Ijaw peoples) and Nigeria? A war that took 3 years during which more than 3 million Biafrans were slaughtered like fowls, cities, schools, churches, universities and places were destroyed. Nigerian soldiers entered houses, churches, universities, schools etc bombed down those places, destroyed things, killed women and children and whatnot. At the end of the Biafran war, Biafra was a complete ruin, nothing to write home about. But barely 45 years after the war, Igbo and Ibibio lands have bounced back and are developing at such an amazing speed that there's not just one sign to show that Eastern Nigeria(Biafra) was formerly a war zone. Eastern Nigeria is currently among the fastest developing regions in Nigeria. Igbo land has been developed mostly by the hardwork, success, education, strength, entrepreneurial mindset, and doggedness of the Igbo people without the so-called oil money or federal government money. That is what we call hardwork. Now, that's bouncing back. We don't need 200 years to heal first before we can actually stand on our feet and get busy. There should never be any reason for laziness.

African Americans should learn to stop blaming Africans for something of the past and learn to look forward. Europeans colonized many countries of Africa and wrecked their harm on us. Yet you don't see Africans throwing blames at Europeans for that. We've learned to put the past behind and look forward.
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by bigfrancis21: 3:09pm On Sep 05, 2013
eziza:

But you did own slaves, or didn't you? You bought and sold slaves just like everyone else, so why are you exempting yourself from wrongdoing? And these were not just uncle Toms as you have desperately put it, but your women participated also. So what should we call them, aunt Jemimas? lolest!

Exactly. African Americans also participated in the slave trade. They also bought and owned black slaves too. WTF! shocked These uncle Toms were more wicked and mean than the white slave masters themselves, meting out even meaner inhuman treatments to their fellow blacks than the whites did. Yet, he won't accept responsibility for all that. And he wants us to accept ours which we already did. And we are not complaining neither are we still living in the past.

@Jay

I reiterate again. Yes we had slaves in Africa but we never maltreated nor meted out brutal treatments against our very own. We may have exchanged humans for money, but we were not that devilish up to the extent of bounding our fellow humans in chains, branding our fellow blacks with hot charcoal irons to give them terrible permanent identifier marks to indicate 'they are my property for life', subjecting fellow blacks to the worst working slave conditions that were prevalent in the plantations and what have you. All these treatments, some african americans also par took in. What an irony of life.

Keep waiting for more 200 years to heal before you realize that you have to get up on your feet and get busy. grin
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 3:35pm On Sep 05, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Exactly. African Americans also participated in the slave trade. They also bought and owned black slaves too. WTF! shocked These uncle Toms were more wicked and mean than the white slave masters themselves, meting out even meaner inhuman treatments to their fellow blacks than the whites did. Yet, he won't accept responsibility for all that. And he wants us to accept ours which we already did. And we are not complaining neither are we still living in the past.

@Jay

I reiterate again. Yes we had slaves in Africa but we never maltreated nor meted out brutal treatments against our very own. We may have exchanged humans for money, but we were not that devilish up to the extent of bounding our fellow humans in chains, branding our fellow blacks with hot charcoal irons to give them terrible permanent identifier marks to indicate 'they are my property for life', subjecting fellow blacks to the worst working slave conditions that were prevalent in the plantations and what have you. All these treatments, some african americans also par took in. What an irony of life.

Keep waiting for more 200 years to heal before you realize that you have to get up on your feet and get busy. grin

Here we go again grin

"We may have exchanged humans for money"

Then I guess that makes it ok doesn't it? grin

You can choose to Laugh at the suffering of Afro-Americans.

Now don't let me get started on the troubles of Africa grin grin

Because that shite is always on the news!

Why have you people involved yourselves with this Islamic extremism? shocked

As if Racism is not enough trouble?

The things is though I am not happy for the suffering of any black people, Native African or Diaspora.

But you guys are glad when African-Americans face struggles and racism.

The Trayvon Martin case proves that there is still a GREAT RACIAL DIVIDE IN THE STATES!

And a Message for all of you BOASTFUL EDUCATED NIGERIANS, WHO ALWAYS ARE TALKING ABOUT YOUR DEGREES!

When you go to the US, YOU still aren't nothing but a Nigga to the Whites Over there!! grin

GOOD LUCK wink
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 4:05pm On Sep 05, 2013
eziza: Running out of steam ke? I'm here. You are in a perpetual state of denial, when you are able to crawl out of it, let me know.

I don't know what I'm meant to be denying here?

Do you know how you sound? grin

My Ancestors unfortunately were in a state of slavery themselves,

So can you PLEASE tell me who my Ancestors owned and enslaved BEARING IN MIND THEY WERE NOT FREE THEMSELVES grin grin
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 4:32pm On Sep 05, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Talk about comparison, can that be compared to the inhuman treatment fellow blacks meted against their own? Or the worst of all maltreatment whites meted out against blacks?

Yea, Africans may have sold out their own but don't blame us for the current AA woes such as laziness, gangsterism, lack of college education, and what have you. All those are borne out of your free will. You gave your reason as 'african americans need time to heal'. Lmao.grin What bollocks! grin Its over 200 years and they've not healed yet? How much more time then do they need to supposedly heal?grin

Talk about healing, have you ever heard of the Biafran War that was fought between defunct Biafra(Igbo, Ibibio, Ijaw peoples) and Nigeria? A war that took 3 years during which more than 3 million Biafrans were slaughtered like fowls, cities, schools, churches, universities and places were destroyed. Nigerian soldiers entered houses, churches, universities, schools etc bombed down those places, destroyed things, killed women and children and whatnot. At the end of the Biafran war, Biafra was a complete ruin, nothing to write home about. But barely 45 years after the war, Igbo and Ibibio lands have bounced back and are developing at such an amazing speed that there's not just one sign to show that Eastern Nigeria(Biafra) was formerly a war zone. Eastern Nigeria is currently among the fastest developing regions in Nigeria. Igbo land has been developed mostly by the hardwork, success, education, strength, entrepreneurial mindset, and doggedness of the Igbo people without the so-called oil money or federal government money. That is what we call hardwork. Now, that's bouncing back. We don't need 200 years to heal first before we can actually stand on our feet and get busy. There should never be any reason for laziness.

African Americans should learn to stop blaming Africans for something of the past and learn to look forward. Europeans colonized many countries of Africa and wrecked their harm on us. Yet you don't see Africans throwing blames at Europeans for that. We've learned to put the past behind and look forward.

3 million people died? Bigfrancis21? It is a terrible thing indeed

Do you have any idea how many more died in the transatlantic slave trade?

3 million is not even close.

Just bear this in mind that if NIGERIANS had the answers to it all, your homeland would be in a much better state.

You would never care to mention any of the endless achievements of African Americans.

The people who paved the way for you to be able to migrate to the states.

Of course there are lazy African Americans, just like there are plenty scammers and JUJU men in Nigeria. grin

But you "Nigerians have this I am better than you mentality"

Just because you have your language and culture still intact.

I first was exposed to this a child going to school when a girl of African parentage informed me that I am the son of slaves.

So keep laughing at African Americans, I know which country I'd rather to live in!! grin grin
Re: Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) by Jayvarley(m): 4:40pm On Sep 05, 2013
Anyway I should know better than to upset all you guys on here

You Might want to JUJU ME!

I'm sorry everyone! grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Somali-Sudanese Wedding / Prince Tsola Emiko To Succeed Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli / Meet Aare Boluwatife Akin-Olugbade: Owner Of 10 Rolls-Royces (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.