Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! (61861 Views)

After 18 Years In America, A Guy Gifted His Friend 12 Dollars And Hes Not Happy / Nigerian Man Celebrates As He Becomes A Father After 18 Years Of Marriage / "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Emary(f): 1:25am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
God is not mocked. What a man/ woman sow, that they will reap. Ask ur mum and dad what they did wrong. There must be something evil they had done that is affecting ur 42 yr brother. The bible said, train up a child in d way that he should grow and when he is old he will not depart from it. They where sparing the rod on him and now spoilt

Your statement is extremely insensitive. John 9:2-3: "And his disciples asked him, 'Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?' Jesus answered, 'It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.' As a parent, one can only do one's best and leave the rest.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by 2pacamarushakur(m): 1:26am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:

I strongly believe there is light at the end of every tunnel.
No matter what the situation might turn out to be please never give up on your brother ok. He is coming out clean out of this addiction.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by OsuIgboIpob: 1:35am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:
I have a 42 year old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason. Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.

We have organised prayer sessions by powerful men of God, nothing has happened yet. I do want to sound like someone without faith. I strongly believe that our able God will make things beautiful at His time. However, the situation has gone out of control and we need to act fast.

These, amongst many, are some of the interventions already done by the family and we cannot fold our arms and watch people mock us in shame every day due to his abnormal activities in the community.

Now what he does is forcefully, take money from our aged mum, sell any family property at sight in exchange for money to buy his drugs. Beat my mum up at any slightest refusal to give him money. He has been jailed many times for committing several offences related to this habit, yet the problem persists. Maybe we have not applied the best approach?

I am calling on fellow Nairalanders to assist with solutions. I believe there are some of us here who may have experienced this problem in one way or the other, or have an advise to give to solve this lingering painful situation. Your personal or professional experience (s) may go a long way in salvaging this situation for us.

I believe a problem shared is a problem solved.
Sometimes, you people are the architects of your own woes.

Someone beats your mother up and has been jailed several times... Who usually bail him up?

You people should continue with your fuckēry of forcing yourself to change him until one day, HE WILL BEAT YOUR MOTHER TO DEATH and then, you'll all know when to stop.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 1:36am On May 19, 2020
2pacamarushakur:

No matter what the situation might turn out to be please never give up on your brother ok. He is coming out clean out of this addiction.

Thank you
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by OsuIgboIpob: 1:37am On May 19, 2020
Fabulouzjoseph:
He needs to see a good psychologist and undergo certain therapies. Everyone deserves a second chance.
How old are you?
Rubbish!
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Risingsunn: 1:38am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
God is not mocked. What a man/ woman sow, that they will reap. Ask ur mum and dad what they did wrong. There must be something evil they had done that is affecting ur 42 yr brother. The bible said, train up a child in d way that he should grow and when he is old he will not depart from it. They where sparing the rod on him and now spoilt

And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
John 9:1‭-‬3 KJV
https://bible.com/bible/1/jhn.9.1-3.KJV

Please stop quoting bible that you do not have an understanding of.

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by OsuIgboIpob: 1:41am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
The most stupîd post of the year... VERY BRAINLESS.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 1:41am On May 19, 2020
OsuIgboIpob:

Sometimes, you people are the architects of your own woes.

Someone beats your mother up and has been jailed several times... Who usually bail him up?

You people should continue with your fuckēry of forcing yourself to change him until one day, HE WILL BEAT YOUR MOTHER TO DEATH and then, you'll all know when to stop.

so what's your contribution to the issue apart from condemnation?

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Nobody: 1:41am On May 19, 2020
Chai.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Nobody: 1:43am On May 19, 2020
OsuIgboIpob:
How old are you? Rubbish!
what has my age got to do with this?
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by shadeyinka(m): 1:44am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
No sir.
If you succeed in bringing up your child to be godly, it is God's grace. Sometimes a child is demonized and until such is delivered, the forces progressively drive him towards destruction.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Nobody: 1:49am On May 19, 2020
Amanee:

Please lock him up somewhere and throw away the keys. You all have tried, it's time for him to lie on the bed he's laid.

inhumanity and nigeria
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by deedondavi(m): 1:51am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:

you are unreasonable
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Xyzee: 1:54am On May 19, 2020
How many uncles do you have in the village?
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Ahmed0336(m): 1:55am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:

Thank you

When next he commit an offense, allow him to spends years in jail. That's all I can advice..
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Onebyonedead: 1:57am On May 19, 2020
LadySarah:
It takes a whole lot of Divine Grace.,will and therapy to overcome these. More so a reason.
Is he even willing to?

I've seen a lot of them quit cos of their children or health or personal convictions. Therapy will help change his perspective. Not forgetting the power of prayer.

When your child starts to slap you

I will remind you

You are so annoying

I hate you
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by star4ever: 1:58am On May 19, 2020
Xyzee:
How many uncles do you have in the village?

Two
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by aliyuabbaashiru(m): 2:19am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:

Not willing. All the efforts were forcefully made.
exactly the problem. When you go for therapy one of the first thing they tell you is your willingness to leave the habit. If you're forced, it wont work.

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Nobody: 2:24am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Tchange1(m): 2:50am On May 19, 2020
You need to call the Calvary "JESUS"
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by 9ja083: 2:58am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
I rest my case
I hope u have not killed your parents over the mistake u committed and refused to accept?
Ppl like u abandon their parents over irrelevant issues simply because of religion or "pastor said"
Please u need a psychologist!

2 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by clemmonce(m): 2:59am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
You are fool for bringing God into flimsy discussion like this. You are are one of the reason people blasphame against God.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by aspiring44: 2:59am On May 19, 2020
When addiction becomes habitual is difficult to tame or control.

But by the Power of the Most High it can be done.

When the Will of God is upon our lives , the rest is story.

May the Lord rehabilitate him and put him in a better position.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Shinny1: 2:59am On May 19, 2020
Disowning him won't solve any issue cos he will still be around the environment
But I think you people should take him to psychiatric hospital for the last time and use prayer to back it up and when he comes out... please change his environment because it also affects him
If you have an uncle or someone he listens to the person should always talk senses into him...this won't be easy but give it a try
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by jujunaty(m): 3:09am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:
chai.. see another confirmed idiot on nairaland grin
so the OP its another woman that trained him ba? or the parents were just senseless when training this his brother... see ehn miss idiot of nairaland, if u dont have what to say from that gutter you call a mouth, kindly shut up and let people with brains speak. Because from all uve said, na cobwebs and kitchen stool dey inside your head, not a brain. Thank you as you stupidly shut up. Yours sincerely, a fellow nairalander
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by othenok(f): 3:12am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:
I have a 42 year old brother who for over 18 years has been on hard drugs. He started this habit while in secondary school and couldn't finish tertiary education for same reason. Efforts made by the family to stop him from substance abuse and rehabilitate him at several occasions failed. Each time such effort is made, he recovers after a while but returns to the habit. Currently, he has become mentally deranged and there seems to be no solution at sight.

He has been admitted to different psychiatric hospitals on two occasions. At both times, he was treated and confirmed fit and sound to return to the society. The moment he was discharged, he quickly went back to his old ways and all the resources spent went into the drain. In one of the occasions, we were strongly advised to engage him as joblessness was one of the greatest problem causing the abuse. We got him engaged by securing a fantastic job which he also left after a week of working there. Other meaningful efforts geared towards engaging him to enable him to become occupied and start earning a living as a man also didn’t work out.

We have organised prayer sessions by powerful men of God, nothing has happened yet. I do want to sound like someone without faith. I strongly believe that our able God will make things beautiful at His time. However, the situation has gone out of control and we need to act fast.

These, amongst many, are some of the interventions already done by the family and we cannot fold our arms and watch people mock us in shame every day due to his abnormal activities in the community.

Now what he does is forcefully, take money from our aged mum, sell any family property at sight in exchange for money to buy his drugs. Beat my mum up at any slightest refusal to give him money. He has been jailed many times for committing several offences related to this habit, yet the problem persists. Maybe we have not applied the best approach?

I am calling on fellow Nairalanders to assist with solutions. I believe there are some of us here who may have experienced this problem in one way or the other, or have an advise to give to solve this lingering painful situation. Your personal or professional experience (s) may go a long way in salvaging this situation for us.

Hi dear, from the little I can deduce, your brother had a personality disorder which gradually degenerated into drug addiction. Sadly a lot of hard drug has a way of eating into the addicts brain making them never to be the same again. I can't imagine the pain and trauma he has put your family through but he needs an intervention. From psychiatric help combined with follow-up Psychotherapy.
You people made a few mistakes by kinda of enabling him by getting him a job etc. For now, all he needs is to get drug free first, then gradually understand the consequences of his actions. Therapy can take up to one full year before you can push him back into the society.
Be patient with him too. Embracing hard drug for some people is as result of poor coping mechanism. In the bid to flee from reality, take to drug use. So my dear, patience is very key. Don't give up on him yet cos no creature of God is worthless. Pray for him, ask God to direct you to the right hospital.
My problem with State Mental Institutions is their archaic approach to mental illness.

1 Like

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by grandstar(m): 3:25am On May 19, 2020
adontcare:

The prophet Samuel did what was right in the sight of Jehovah and yet his 2 sons acted treacherously as priests.

You may give your child the best training and he may still lose his way. The biggest problem usually is the period Apostle Paul called the "bloom of youth" when person won enjoy life- party, sex, and so on. Your hormones are on fire.

It is a pity he ended up this way but I am certain it has nothing to do with parental upbringing. They were just unfortunate (Read Eccl 9:11)

3 Likes

Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by grandstar(m): 3:32am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:

Not willing. All the efforts were forcefully made.

Not so.

I read a very lengthy article about local drug therapy. There's this guy who runs a center where they just dump the addict into a room for days with zero access to drugs. grin grin grin. It is a death sentence but most of his clients come out better.

In the article, there was this lady who was addicted to hard drugs but was forced to change. What made her change?

A lady drug addict mistakenly overdosed and died. The drug dealers were petrified having a dead body on their hand and decided to break up her bones and put the body in a sack. Thereafter, they dumped the body on a rubbish mound where pigs later feasted on it. The dead woman was an only child.

When the lady saw this, she knew she had to change or she'd end up like that- and change she did.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by grandstar(m): 3:33am On May 19, 2020
Ningen:
What??
He beats up your aged mum, his own mother??

DISOWN HIM.
It's time for your “aged” mother to rest!

He's an adult of 42yrs, mentally institutionalized twice and declared “fit” for the society. Gifted a job but only to quit. Doesn't want to earn a living and only into drugs. Una don try, GOD knows.

Are you a parent?
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by Onliie(m): 3:59am On May 19, 2020
star4ever:

Call this number +234 803 572 4526. What you need is deliverance. You are in bondage of a strong enemy
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by favour32(m): 4:17am On May 19, 2020
Treat him,back him up spiritually or whatever your family believe and finally change his environment for good.
Re: My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! by kingthreat(m): 4:19am On May 19, 2020
You may need to try private rehabilitations like CADAM in Lagos. Google them. They have a 1 year program. God help you all. You should have stated the drugs he takes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (21) (Reply)

The Difference Between First Name, Middle Name And Last Name. / Nigerian Lady Advises Married Men To Have Regular Sex With Wives To Stop Nagging / Meet Monica Okoye With 12 Children, 36 Grandchildren, 43 Great Grandchildren

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.