Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,816 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry (62389 Views)

Late Husband's Family Withholding Her Aunt's Child / Lady Laments As Late Husband's Family Members Abscond With ₦20 Million (Video) / My Married Jobless Elder Brother Is Sucking My Mum Financially. Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by megareal: 3:23pm On May 19, 2020
Anni3e:
LMAO, so because I told him to give less to his siblings and build up himself that's means I have been trying to create wedge between him and his family ?
As for my saving whether it is imaginary or not, it is none of your business.
You are no different from his siblings, it is your type that would suck his rich family member dry and see his wife as an enemy that has come to drive a wedge between you.
You shouldn't have bothered to reply to him. His head is not screwed on right. That's the average Nigerian sibling for you, believing every woman is coming to 'separate' their brother from them if you try to curtail some of their excesses.. They never mean well for their brother. Their intent is only to suck him dry and discard him.

Whatever you do, buy that land and ensure it is in a name no one will drag it with you. Cut down your expenses and place more demands. Let some things like electricity bills and school fees remain unattended to and give the school his direct line to call and harass him when he fails to pay. You took on too much load and he doesn't feel the heat coming from his own home. Save as much as you can because you are OYO as things stand right now. I have witnessed this countless times, after sacrificing all you have, his people will still try to lay claim to the glory of your labor in the future.

7 Likes

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by GeneralShepherd(m): 3:23pm On May 19, 2020
elektra:
Many Nigerian families abuse first borns. The first borns sef internalize the abuse and it becomes part of their identity.
Their self fulfillment now comes from seeing the younger siblings succeed. Sometimes to the detriment of their own progress.
Your husband clearly has no ambition of his own.

What is wrong in having a sense of duty towards family? If not for my sister, I will not be where I am today, now helping others.

My wife is a first born and we also support her family. That is what family is, we take care of each other.
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by gees101(m): 3:23pm On May 19, 2020
menix:
OP, the truth is that's how God created us, it's our default setting...

Thou, ain't married yet oo but I don over reach but the love for my brothers is what I don't get

Sometimes I feel like adopting my brothers kid nd train them sef..

Thou I don't joke with investments..
its the proceeds from the investments that will take care of your brothers kid
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 19, 2020
EVILFOREST:

WHY DO MARRIED LADIES always complain about their HUSBAND'S FAMILY all the time.
Meanwhile, when the LADY'S SIBLINGS visit, it's always bed of roses.

LADIES are always fond of this.
There is this HIDDEN WICKEDNESS towards the man's family immediately they get married. Why...?
U don't ever hear HUSBANDS talking about their WIFE'S siblings....
Many children trained by Nigerian Men are always
kids from the Lady's side.

The MAN dares not bring someone from his side.
What manner of BEHAVIOR is this.
Take your TIME and visit every Nigerian HOME.., you will see that most occupants of apartments are usually from the WOMAN'S SIDE....
yet you won't allow these MEN have peace of mind.
RUBBISH.
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by hennylove(f): 3:24pm On May 19, 2020
My story is similar to yours. The truth is when you start assisting them financially they leave everything to you and concentrate on their family in my own case he is the last born but likes to break his neck for his family. Some times it's even my money that he sends to them while he is the only tenant among them. This year I decided to start investing and saving for myself. Let him do most of those things and assist only when you can. Do you know that it got to a point that he doesn't know our children's school fees. I just had to withdraw and let him do his thing.

4 Likes

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Prenonjebose: 3:25pm On May 19, 2020
Yabaleft:

For where? There was a driver that used to work for me. While interviewing him, he told me his father was a surgeon. My jaw dropped. This guy no get waec.
I asked why he has no education . He said his father trained almost everyone in his village to the extent of sending children of villagers to school abroad. Unfortunately he died young and my driver was only 9 when the father passed.
No one helped them. He has 3 brothers, one is a welder, and the other spare parts seller.
Smh
I find it surprising hearing some people doubt the possibility of a man taking care of his siblings at the expense of his immediate family. Can you imagine how the surgeon's son would be feeling now about his father

7 Likes

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Dybala11(m): 3:25pm On May 19, 2020
bukatyne:

It is easy for you to say because you were not indoctrinated with 'helping' your siblings as the first born.

I have seen this play over and over again.

A number of them even married very very late to 'cater' for their siblings.
Someone like that I know came to my mind, he's a professor now and he's responsible for the upbringing and funding the education of all his siblings, man is a 50 year old now, they recently forced him to get married sef. Imagine having your first kid at 49.
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by deavicky(m): 3:26pm On May 19, 2020
If he spending those money on ur family nobody will hear it.

1 Like

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by aimalohi: 3:26pm On May 19, 2020
In addition to d above advice, start praying for him so that his eyes be opened to know that these are family devourers that does not wish him well. If they don’t hv means of lively hood advice him to see how he can assist with a business as u continue praying for him. Also don’t always show it to him that those ppl want to devour him. Instead let him realize that by himself. He shld be in d picture of the land but don’t but it in his name oo... if he is going to feel bad buy it in your child’s name. God bless u
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Asour: 3:26pm On May 19, 2020
bukatyne:
Instead of telling your husband to stop 'spending on his family', point him to projects he can spend money on.

E.g. 'My friend said there is one cheap land at Igbo Tutu' or 'how I wish we had our house, we wouldn't be bothered about Baba Mulika asking for rent every year' or 'there is one mutual funds that the entry is N200k and you get 15% returns per year. We can be paying Junior's fees from the interest'. You can also bring up investment for your kids etc.

You know what works with your husband so explore that. Also appreciate him for what he does so far.

@buying your land: I am not a fan of spouses buying stuffs behind each other so I will say deposit the money in mutual benefit/Chapel Hill/Piggybank for now while you try to make him see reason. I particularly don't like the fact you want only your name on the land; recipe for disaster as your husband is not hiding his own funds; he is just not spending it wisely.

You should also understand where your husband is coming from: in some cultures, the 'worth' of the first son/husband of the first daughter is their ability to fund everyone's lifestyle without complaint while their own immediate family suffers.

It is a recurring theme so you re-orientate him in love and harmony to see that his family can and will survive without his handouts.

Also note that if he goes 360 and stops funding his siblings, it can cause problems for you'all.

Under perfectly reasonable circumstances your brief is the perfect advice anyone can get.

However, Most of us most of the time behave in manners far from 'reasonable'. So people must be able to take stern steps to protect themselves from the outcome of a partner's unreasonable decisions.

Excessive appeal to emotions (in Marriage or not ) would usually lead to tears.

2 Likes

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by IfeomaOnu1: 3:27pm On May 19, 2020
Anni3e:
I am not buying behind his back, I would tell him but I am not including his name. Do you know how many times I have told him to buy a land and start a project. He won't, he prefers spending all the money on his siblings.
I support you sis. God forbid, if anything happens to him, his family will try to claim the property. Use your name and his son or daughter as the next of kin. No sensible man will fault that as long as it is not channeled to your own family.

6 Likes

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Fragility6: 3:27pm On May 19, 2020
bukatyne:
Instead of telling your husband to stop 'spending on his family', point him to projects he can spend money on.

E.g. 'My friend said there is one cheap land at Igbo Tutu' or 'how I wish we had our house, we wouldn't be bothered about Baba Mulika asking for rent every year' or 'there is one mutual funds that the entry is N200k and you get 15% returns per year. We can be paying Junior's fees from the interest'. You can also bring up investment for your kids etc.

You know what works with your husband so explore that. Also appreciate him for what he does so far.

@buying your land: I am not a fan of spouses buying stuffs behind each other so I will say deposit the money in mutual benefit/Chapel Hill/Piggybank for now while you try to make him see reason. I particularly don't like the fact you want only your name on the land; recipe for disaster as your husband is not hiding his own funds; he is just not spending it wisely.

You should also understand where your husband is coming from: in some cultures, the 'worth' of the first son/husband of the first daughter is their ability to fund everyone's lifestyle without complaint while their own immediate family suffers.

It is a recurring theme so you re-orientate him in love and harmony to see that his family can and will survive without his handouts.

Also note that if he goes 360 and stops funding his siblings, it can cause problems for you'all.
First time on diz forum a woman actually comment without sentiments. I tip my hat 2 you
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Karleb(m): 3:28pm On May 19, 2020
From the conjured story here, it's obvious you just want your husband to yourself alone forgetting he actually came from somewhere.

Do you know his family's contributions to what he is today?

He's only paying back his dues. Nothing wrong with that.
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by GoodFaith: 3:28pm On May 19, 2020
Anni3e:
Hi, I have been married for 9 years now, the problem I have with my husband is that his family members keep sucking him dry and the way he neglects us his immediate family.

He is the first child of 7 children, his siblings even the married ladies keep asking him for money. He keeps spending money on them and their husbands. His brothers keep crying they are broke, they keep leeching off him.

His two junior brothers that always ask him for money, one of them built a house in Port Harcourt and the other one built a big house in the village. Still they won't let him rest.

His married sisters are the worst. If they cough they would call him to send money, every minor thing they would expect money. Just this evening his sister called him to ask for money. We don't have a house of our own, I keep telling my husband to stop giving in to all their demands and invest the money on something, he would say I am turning him against his family.

We have 2 kids and I have told him we need to start saving for their future, I pay the electricity bill, foodstuffs, and most times the children school fees, he pays the house rent and rarely keeps money for home upkeep, he sometimes drops two thousand and that's it for the whole week. He always complains he has no more, but once his family calls him he sends money immediately.

I have saved enough to buy a land and I am not planning to include his name in the property. I don't know what to deal with, his family entitlement mentality or the way he neglects the kids and I and treat us like outsiders.

I am really pissed off and tired.

Sorry for the long post.

Go buy the land
The price of Land keep going up
Use your kid name to buy the land

3 Likes

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Prenonjebose: 3:29pm On May 19, 2020
hennylove:
My story is similar to yours. The truth is when you start assisting them financially they leave everything to you and concentrate on their family in my own case he is the last born but likes to break his neck for his family. Some times it's even my money that he sends to them while he is the only tenant among them. This year I decided to start investing and saving for myself. Let him do most of those things and assist only when you can. Do you know that it got to a point that he doesn't know our children's school fees. I just had to withdraw and let him do his thing.
Some men are lucky. I take care of most of the bill, and still assist her brother

1 Like

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 19, 2020
It is obvious that some people didn’t read the post or they can’t comprehend. Op, go ahead and invest your money how you deem fit but do NOT make the mistake of including his name. God forbid an unfortunate incident, his family members will swear on their lives that the property belongs to their brother. You have tried to make him see the importance of investing. Since he refused to heed your advice, that’s on him, not you.

Surely, you have a right or may be even an obligation to assist your family but doing that at the expense of your own future is setting yourself up to be in similar situation in future.

4 Likes

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Harmlesspill(m): 3:31pm On May 19, 2020
ProfAmaben:
Let him give them money to learn a trade or something, does he want you and his kids to suffer? Why are some men so unreasonable? I am married with a boy, so many Cash request on my phone and I ignore some and treat only the important ones
Madam,have you thought of including his name in the land document then make him see reasons why he should develop the land there by divert all the money to the project.He will only lavish his money on his siblings if he has.
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Fragility6: 3:32pm On May 19, 2020
Anni3e:
I am not buying behind his back, I would tell him but I am not including his name. Do you know how many times I have told him to buy a land and start a project. He won't, he prefers spending all the money on his siblings.
Two wrongs don't make a right o.Brute force is not d best to solve problems. Y not listen to wat dat lady is telling you. Learn to solve issues with love its for ur own good.Later ur husband might see reasons wit u and change his ways.You both know urselves sha.Do wat suits you
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Nobody: 3:32pm On May 19, 2020
Tick-tock.

You’d think the house rent is 1kobo. Most women are just not worth it. Since the future of the children is so important to you, why don't you save that ”land money” for their future? If you're buying the land for the future of the family in mind, why don't you add his name to the deeds and add your children as next of kin?

If that man mistakingly loses his source of income, this witch would run away with his kids asap.

1 Like

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Ramos16(m): 3:32pm On May 19, 2020
Anni3e:

I have saved enough to buy a land and I am not planning to include his name in the property. I don't know what to deal with, his family entitlement mentality or the way he neglects the kids and I and treat us like outsiders.

This my friend, is the biggest form of betrayal in any marriage, it goes hand in hand with cheating, your husband is guilty of something similar, and you are about to do the same.

If any marriage should get to this point, then it's essence has been lost, and it is just two strangers living together.

You claim you will not do it behind his back, but stop and think for yourself, what kind of message are you trying to send? Is there a better way to handle this?

1 Like

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by uzumakis: 3:32pm On May 19, 2020
Funny enough that most female in Nigeria, and a few male could be so funny, myopic and narrow minded, that they think and believe they wiser than every other person.
For the poster; you are the funny one here..
1. you have being married for 9years, let's say you have known him for 12years top. These family you called 'leeches' have being with him more than half his life.
2. What exactly have you done for him that makes these 'leeches' less important?
3. During your marriage ceremony, who where there for you both? certainly these 'leeches' wasn't cause they no good.
4. Are these 'leeches' even part of your family?
5. Lastly ,if you happen to lost your husband now, hope the kids which are 'yours only' will remain so, and you, strong enough and capable of being both the father,m
other,uncle,aunt, and grand parent. if so go ahead..

If you need advice, I suggest you make him see you,his kids are important too, let him know you all appreciate his effort,yet he could do better with you and the kids. give him instances he's let you all down and how. Start with this not with bitterness and same entitlement mindset you're accusing em of.

1 Like

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Horlubunmmy: 3:32pm On May 19, 2020
Anni3e:
I have made up my mind, just if anything happens I want to have something to fall back on. When he nearly went broke in 2014, none of his brothers helped him, they all claimed broke still he doesn't want to learn . He won't listen to any advice, if I leave things to him, one day we might end up on the streets.
Exactly what's happening in my home.
In fact one of his elder brother and his family are staying with us, they've milk him dry....
He paid the children school fee's in university, I don't have a say in my house again. If I ask him for money he will say " shebi I'm working "but immediately his family ask, he won't hesitate to give them. They've all turn me to enemy, some of them don't greet me.
My husband is the last born, I'll buy food all of them will eat.
During this lockdown, their all came with their family to stay with us, as if is festive period, he don't have any money with him then.
Honesty I regret the marriage, his family comes first before me and the kids. If I talk they will tag me enemy. During the lock down to est na big problem. I pity my children then.

To the extent one of them called my kid's bastard, that they don't looks like anyone in the family, but looks like omo igbo, because they looks chubby.

My hubby didn't fought for his kids. In fact if I continue typing this page go full.

is well!!!

5 Likes

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Vivuch: 3:33pm On May 19, 2020
Anni3e:
Hi, I have been married for 9 years now, the problem I have with my husband is that his family members keep sucking him dry and the way he neglects us his immediate family.

He is the first child of 7 children, his siblings even the married ladies keep asking him for money. He keeps spending money on them and their husbands. His brothers keep crying they are broke, they keep leeching off him.

His two junior brothers that always ask him for money, one of them built a house in Port Harcourt and the other one built a big house in the village. Still they won't let him rest.

His married sisters are the worst. If they cough they would call him to send money, every minor thing they would expect money. Just this evening his sister called him to ask for money. We don't have a house of our own, I keep telling my husband to stop giving in to all their demands and invest the money on something, he would say I am turning him against his family.

We have 2 kids and I have told him we need to start saving for their future, I pay the electricity bill, foodstuffs, and most times the children school fees, he pays the house rent and rarely keeps money for home upkeep, he sometimes drops two thousand and that's it for the whole week. He always complains he has no more, but once his family calls him he sends money immediately.

I am really pissed off and tired.

Sorry for the long post.
Buy the land but don't add his name.

1 Like

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:34pm On May 19, 2020
yettymuse:
you’re the reason for your own predicament. Allow a man be a man! Stop paying and supporting with your finances! After you born two children, you still dey use your money keep up the Mrs title! You can’t carry this on for long o. Which day you sef wan invest in yourself?
Withdraw your financial support and use your woman power!

Nothing bad in assisting at the home front since is also generating income. She only needs to work on her husband, and must start saving and making investments for herself in her name
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by CTete: 3:34pm On May 19, 2020
Hope you don't press Him with your family problem too. Many women never complained about giving to their own family.
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by megareal: 3:35pm On May 19, 2020
kunkelhanspeter:
If you want to buy land please don’t put his name on the deed if you want please put Mr and Mrs XYZ
My cousin just lost land and property she bought with her money to her ex husband just bcoz she put only the man name .
Chai. I feel for her. It's funny that 80% of Nigerian married men can never buy a property in the wife's name, but you see a very large percentage of Nigerian wives put their husband 's name in properties bought by them despite stories like this. Begs the question, are Nigerian women morons when it comes to love, marriage and family?

8 Likes

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Yabaleft: 3:35pm On May 19, 2020
Prenonjebose:

I find it surprising hearing some people doubt the possibility of a man taking care of his siblings at the expense of his immediate family. Can you imagine how the surgeon's son would be feeling now about his father

It's really sad. I did not ask how he felt about his father but I know he sends the greater part of his salary to his wife and mother in Benin.
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by QueenMyles(f): 3:35pm On May 19, 2020
Op I won’t advice you to fight your husband. Apply wisdom and don’t quarrel him much. Save as much as you can, buy the land with your husbands consent and encourage him to invest in it too. My family passed through this too and today we have no house in our name after 40years of my parents toiling to cater for their extended family while their siblings were building houses and investing yet demanding from my parents every now and then. We are living in regret and there’s nothing we can do. Be wise ma and apply wisdom

5 Likes

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Babyforever(f): 3:36pm On May 19, 2020
ihutuluv:
This is the exact same issue I am currently facing. I really regret this marriage. Mine is so bad that they even share his clothes. How can you a married man, you youngest brother every little thing one excuse or the other can I use this cloth?
I feel more terrible because this young man has laboured for over ten years earning well with nothing attached to his name but training children that his parents gave birth to and can not raise. I am always scared because anything happens to him I also don't have savings because I have used everything to take care of the house while he is busy taking care of siblings.
You're very stupid for say this words "His parents gave birth to and can not take care of"
Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:38pm On May 19, 2020
NoToPile:

Most of the times no they don't
The 'Uncles' swoop in to even claim their brothers assets leaving the woman penniless/ homeless if she hasn't made some investments.

That why she should buy and build in her own name

1 Like

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by craleonic: 3:38pm On May 19, 2020
Anni3e:
I have made up my mind, just if anything happens I want to have something to fall back on. When he nearly went broke in 2014, none of his brothers helped him, they all claimed broke still he doesn't want to learn . He won't listen to any advice, if I leave things to him, one day we might end up on the streets.

Please do that and more to secure your kids' future. Your husband will see the result of his poor financial decisions soon, do what you can to ensure your kids don't suffer when that time comes.

1 Like

Re: My Husband's Family Is Sucking Him Dry by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 19, 2020
I agree with you babe, you be got to protect your children and yourself, if possible don't tell him about the land.

Cos he will tell his folks, your husband is under a spell, if he values his siblings more than you.

If tmoro he dies of stress, they will blame you for his death.

Too bad you ignored the warning signs when you were dating.

If he is the first son its worse, dem go use am clean Belle.

Better wise up, if you re not working nko?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Man Discovers Unclad Photos & Love Chat From A Woman On His Wife’s Phone / Well, She Called Off Our Wedding. / Before & After Photos Of Habeeb Babatunde, Now Noni Salma A Transgendered.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.