Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly (41649 Views)

I Finished My Salary Before 24hrs (picture) / Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary / Appointment Terminated Unjustly And The Staff Asked To Refund Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 20, 2020
What sort of chemical is that?
Don't they provide protective kits for their staffs? If yes, then let your uncle use it. If not, let him resign and look for other types of jobs.

As for the slashed pay, was it a temporary slash as a result of the suspension? Then its normal but if its a permanent reduction, then your uncle should quit or have the terms and conditions of his appointment reviewed ( if the system of the organization is flexible) and maybe posted to another unit.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Openbusiness: 1:55pm On May 20, 2020
Chicent:
Well your boss concluded that for him to earn 60k is for the complete job description which includes production with the chemicals...

Since he has health challenges he should look for a way around it so as to continue earning the agreed sum... He just have to work with his boss or he leaves the work. No more No less
Which health challenge? The man is just a lazy man using smell allergy as excuse. If he is a diligent hardworking person that takes his work seriously, he will take small money, that can't be more than 5k and buy a good N95 face mask that will prevent him from inhaling the chemical smell he claims to be allergic to, and continue earning his 60k in peace. Is that not a straightforward solution, yet he wants to complicate issues and a!make it look like the boss is wicked, whereas he is the one making matters worse for himself. He is looking for special exemption status. If everybody is claiming smell, who will now do the work? It's people like him that bring rebellion into a team work. The boss is even nice. If na me, na 10k I go pay, so he can sack himself.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by TruthSpeaker: 1:55pm On May 20, 2020
1030:
You can not earn 100% of your salary as long as you were placed on suspension.

If by the end of the month same amount of 40,000 less Housing loan is paid,you can fall back to your appointment letter where terms of employment and renumeration is clearly defined and seek for legal action against the company.

He might get fired outright thereafter with the disguise of COVID-19 economic meltdown (this is if the company is even polite enough to give him a reason for being fired). Before thinking of a legal fight, he should be sure he already has a standby job. Your suggestion must have been done with a good intention, but the effect could be suicidal if implemented.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by onlyforchrist: 1:56pm On May 20, 2020
iLegendd:
If you know you have lots of responsibilities or will have lots of responsibilities, try to be a master at all cost — legally.

If you know you won't have any responsibility in life and all money you make is for you and you alone till the end of time, then be a slave.

Just be a master first and don't worry about others yet.

Can you please send me an electronic copy of your book?
Thank you.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by olenime(m): 1:57pm On May 20, 2020
You didn't ask of details of job description or possibly you didn't read it well before you signed in for the new job. I guess it was clearly stated that you will be needed at the production site.

Since it has to do with health, you need to resign, if you are not been reconsidered.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Dtruthspeaker: 1:59pm On May 20, 2020
DirtyGold:
Let's remove emotions here, the loan money is what you've collected and used already.
The switch of job isn't the issue because, what you weren't doing in the other job is what you don't want to do in the current job which means equal pay on both sides. I'm sure what your boss wants you to do is an important aspect of your job which you're refusing to do - forget the earlier discussion - he won't employ someone else to do it or do it himself!

If you insist on doing the job and your health deteriorates badly, do you think the company will foot your medical bill? If no, then that pay cut is the price to pay for your health.

Besides, is there no way you can use some kinda equipment to protect yourself during production?

What's tha business?

You are a wicked person! If only Labour Laws were working, by now you'll know that all you said was wicked. And all because you don't work in an hazardous environment.

For it is provided by Labour Laws that employers are always responsible for the safety of their employees, in the course of work, at all times, in all places.

And it is the Responsibility of Every Employer to provide protective gears and equipments for their employees whilst doing hazardous jobs, at all times, in all places.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by miketayo(m): 2:00pm On May 20, 2020
PhenomenalAustin:
I'm sorry for bothering you all but please hear me out.

I'm posting this on behalf of my uncle.

I was working in a company, and was being paid 40,000 a month not including other allowances. A new company called me to work with them as an Officiator and we negotiated a salary of 60,000.

Both companies produce the same products.

They agreed to pay and I resigned from the other company. I started my new job in Oct. last year and was paid all through Oct., Nov. and Dec.

Earlier this year, January precisely, I had a little issue with my boss. The misunderstanding was that I complained to him that the chemicals we use during productions was adversely affecting me. In the previous company where I worked, I didn't work during the production of the products as I was allergic to the chemicals used.

On a working day, during the time for production, he asked me to join in the production but I politely reminded him about my allergies to the chemicals being used. He commanded me while shouting that I should go back and work. I normally have heart burns, dizziness and severe migraines when I'm exposed to these chemicals.
I left during production as the chemical adversely affected me.

The next day, he came and asked if I had finished the work he commanded me to do the previous day. I apologised to him that I didn't because of the chemicals rxns which he knew about. He didn't say anything but from his body language, I thought everything was alright.

I returned the following day, only to receive a 2-week suspension notice. I was surprised and asked about my offense which the General manager told me, the boss was really pissed and so mad at me which I also explained to the GM and he was really surprised as I did no wrong. Nonetheless, he advised I serve my suspension sentence.

After suspension, I was given a review of my salary and my salary was slashed by 20,000 to 40,000 because of the issue...

I was really confused and bewildered because out of the revised 40,000 I receive per month, the company takes 15,000 out of it for my rent loan...

I've been apologising while also pleading with my boss to reconsider his decision as I'm a family man and 25,000 realistically, will not be sufficient for I and my family. He hasn't yet changed his stance.

I'm so confused, please I need your opinions, suggestions and help whatsoever..

I'm sorry for bothering you.. Thanks

Please help me out please... My uncle is really down at the moment...

Thanks!

U can actually sue the company for making u work under those conditions, if indeed the company knew about ur health issue.
Get a lawyer make build ur case secretly den serve the company
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by elpochas: 2:01pm On May 20, 2020
olamidedivotee:
go and read iLegend book
lol guy u wicked
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Openbusiness: 2:02pm On May 20, 2020
olenime:
You didn't ask of details of job description or possibly you didn't read it well before you signed in for the new job. I guess it was clearly stated that you will be needed at the production site.

Since it has to do with health, you need to resign, if you are not been reconsidered.
He doesn't need to resign, he just needs face mask. But because he is an unserious worker trying to play smart by half, he wants to complicate issues for himself and the company. He is trying to arm twist the company to give him a special exemption status from doing some part of his work, yet he wants to collect full salary at the same time. He don c mumu employer na grin
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Sagay212: 2:02pm On May 20, 2020
Learn from your mistakes. It is very wrong for your boss to tell you to complete a task and you refuse to do it even though you have explained to him that you have issues with the chemical. Rather than leave the task uncompleted, you should have found a more convincing way to explain to your boss and have him agree or find someone to complete it for you and ensure the task is completed before going home. You can't disobey your boss and expect not to be punished. Imagine if he didn't take any action against you, other colleagues might decide to start coming up with all manner of excuses.

Did you sign any letter stating your salary has been deducted going forward? If not , then the salary cut might be as a result of the suspension and you will be getting complete 60k the subsequent months.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by lawalbo(m): 2:03pm On May 20, 2020
If he does that next month again take up a law suit against him.. he had be the one begging you. The labour laws of Nigeria especially factory act of 1948 provides for some guidelines regarding employee health and safety...

1 Like

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Reference(m): 2:04pm On May 20, 2020
In life always have a vision, it is your insurance against taking short term decisions.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by LesbianBoy(m): 2:04pm On May 20, 2020
Odelola01:
All this while your boss and company wanted to pay you 40,000, this is just an excuse

You are the only one that gets it! grin grin grin grin

Cc PhenomenalAustin
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Dtruthspeaker: 2:04pm On May 20, 2020
philip0906:
Nawa oh.

Firstly do you have an agreed and signed contract? If you do, contracts stipulate what is required from you (your job description) as an employee and what is required from your employer.

If you do, does your JD explicitly state that you would work during production? If yes, then you don't have any case as you consented to it. If no, then you can always make reference to your JD and contract.

A disclosed health issue renders that part of the contract extinguished if they go ahead and employ him, which they have done. He has a case.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by sapeleboi(m): 2:05pm On May 20, 2020
you still need full payment on this virus issues , guy you get mind ooooooooooooo

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by wizkidblogger(f): 2:05pm On May 20, 2020
Why apply for the job when you know you are allergic to chemicals. Is your employer father christmas?

Or did you inform them you were alllergic to chemicals and won't work in production before they employed you?

1 Like

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by bmdmixer: 2:06pm On May 20, 2020
well u left one that u didnt work on production and went for one that need u to work on d product

one 40 no work with product
d other 60 work with product

see where am going with this
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Originalsly: 2:06pm On May 20, 2020
Not sure..... but if you working in the "allergies area" it was considered in the pay package ... and now you can no longer work there then they would revise down the salary. Your expected productivity would be reduced so why should your pay remain the same? Also consider in this slowdown of the economy..... many businesses are struggling to survive. Some are slashing pay across the board... laying off workers...etc. This is not the time to fight management for pay.... especially with this kind situation. Termination is the likely result
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by TruthSpeaker: 2:06pm On May 20, 2020
It’s not like I’m not sensitive to your plight, but be very careful oh. In this COVID-19 period there are so many unemployed dudes out there. Getting you fired will be an easy decision to make because your replacement will be easy to find. The salary package is obviously miserable, but like it is often said, half bread is better than none.
You being unable to participate in production kinda makes you incompetent for the job the company demands of you and that can justify the pay cut.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by bmdmixer: 2:07pm On May 20, 2020
OVB123:
U made a wrong decision by leaving ur former job for a new one. If possible my dear go to ur former boss and plead to him to apploy u again in his company. This new one, tendered ur resignation letter because if u fall sick 2moro dat company we not take responsibility.
not possible
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Openbusiness: 2:08pm On May 20, 2020
miketayo:

U can actually sue the company for making u work under those conditions, if indeed the company knew about ur health issue.
Get a lawyer make build ur case secretly den serve the company
DOA case. In fact, na the company suppose to sue him for breach of contract. It's like employing a driver to drive your car and the driver agrees to start the job, only to now tell you that he is allergic to road sign, that anytime sees road sign his eyes will be turninoninown and he will be seeing double and dizzy.... Kikikikikiki! If am d judge, I will not only dismiss the case, I will insult him out of my courtroom. Con be like may traffic warden or Lastma say he is allergic to sun, den go buy umbrella or wear cap and raincoat na, cuz your work you must stand for sun grin

4 Likes

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Karda20: 2:09pm On May 20, 2020
PhenomenalAustin:

I was working in a company, and was being paid 40,000 a month not including other allowances. A new company called me to work with them as an Officiator and we negotiated a salary of 60,000.

They agreed to pay and I resigned from the other company. I started my new job in Oct. last year and was paid all through Oct., Nov. and Dec.

Earlier this year, January precisely, I had a little issue with my boss. The misunderstanding was that I complained to him that the chemicals we use during productions was adversely affecting me. In the previous company where I worked, I didn't work during the production of the products as I was allergic to the chemicals used.

On a working day, during the time for production, he asked me to join in the production but I politely reminded him about my allergies to the chemicals being used. He commanded me while shouting that I should go back and work. I normally have heart burns, dizziness and severe migraines when I'm exposed to these chemicals.

The next day, he came and asked if I had finished the work he commanded me to do the previous day. I apologised to him that I didn't because of the chemicals rxns which he knew about. He didn't say anything but from his body language, I thought everything was alright.

I returned the following day, only to receive a 2-week suspension notice. I was surprised and asked about my offense which the General manager told me, the boss was really pissed and so mad at me which I also explained to the GM and he was really surprised as I did no wrong. Nonetheless, he advised I serve my suspension sentence.

After suspension, I was given a review of my salary and my salary was slashed by 20,000 to 40,000 because of the issue...

I was really confused and bewildered because out of the revised 40,000 I receive per month, the company takes 15,000 out of it for my rent loan...

I've been apologising while also pleading with my boss to reconsider his decision as I'm a family man and 25,000 realistically, will not be sufficient for I and my family. He hasn't yet changed his stance.

Thanks!

I like your boss. I will do exactly the same. In fact, I can sack you. I'm the boss. The success of the business depends on how I run it. You can't come from no where and be disobeying me. You know the nature of the work before you applied. If you are truly allergic to the chemical, then, find another work that will suit you.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by motionarena: 2:09pm On May 20, 2020
PhenomenalAustin:

Thanks!
where your job roles specifically stated to you before you started the job role.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by PrimadonnaO(f): 2:10pm On May 20, 2020
Don’t stay on any job that jeopardizes your health!

2 Likes

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Coolcalmcollect(m): 2:12pm On May 20, 2020
PhenomenalAustin:

Thanks!
that's the price you pay for not been loyal, you left a 40k job where you had peace and respect for your health for a 60k job where your health isn't put into consideration and den 15k is removed for rent, which means cash at hand is even 45k....in other words you left cos of 5k difference in pay to be with a monster. enjoy your new boss my friend, next time look before you leap.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by joe4christ(m): 2:12pm On May 20, 2020
Your uncle should be more careful now. Nobody is indispensable when it comes to company work. Your uncle should have known better. He stand the chance of loosing his job in the nearest future cos the company will no longer see him as an asset. The truth is they will definitely seek for someone who can replace his position and find reason to lay him off.
So, its either he resign himself or go back to doing his duty as it is required by the company, disregarding is health. Which is bad!
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Coolcalmcollect(m): 2:13pm On May 20, 2020
he even tried removing just 20k for 2wks stay at home if me me na half salary you for collect. nonsense
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by chiol: 2:16pm On May 20, 2020
iLegendd:
If you know you have lots of responsibilities or will have lots of responsibilities, try to be a master at all cost — legally.

If you know you won't have any responsibility in life and all money you make is for you and you alone till the end of time, then be a slave.

Just be a master first and don't worry about others yet.

God and destiny play a lot in who becomes a master or a slave. It is not by intelligence or hardworking or smartness or even background.

Many had great dreams but got frustrated by JAMB, labour market, etc. If you are lucky, don't take the less fortunate as dull or lazy. Many of them are actually smarter and more hardworking than you. For instance, how many that wanted to study professional courses were able to even gain the admission let alone graduating?

It is only by his grace, we all know that it is better being the master
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by miketayo(m): 2:17pm On May 20, 2020
Openbusiness:

DOA case. In fact, na the company suppose to sue him for breach of contract. It's like employing a driver to drive your car and the driver agrees to start the job, only to now tell you that he is allergic to road sign, that anytime sees road sign his eyes will be turninoninown and he will be seeing double and dizzy.... Kikikikikiki! If am d judge, I will not only dismiss the case, I will insult him out of my courtroom. Con be like may traffic warden or Lastma say he is allergic to sun, den go buy umbrella or wear cap and raincoat na, cuz your work you must stand for sun grin

Seems u quoted me without understanding my comment.
Lemme use ur example, if I take a driving job but I made it known to my employer that I am not a mechanic and can't fix the car Incase it breaks down, he has no right to make me fix the car.
If his employers know he has allergies for the product and employed him regardless he has a very strong case under the labour acts of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Charly68: 2:19pm On May 20, 2020
Be silent and start looking for another job,he is set to frustrate you out of the system...don't say I didn't tell you. Many of this entrepreneur are very mean when it comes to business matter..they don't take cheat ..meanwhile I will advise you to thread softly before you jump to another job next time..not all that glitters are gold. Earning fat salary without peace of mind is nothing compared to low salary with peace of mind . Don't mortgage your peace for anything ..you jumped without praying about where you are going .
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 20, 2020
You don't want to engage in any activities of your new company.You want to be sitting at the office and be signing cheques while #60k await you at the end of the month.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sade Adenuga Is Now A Barrister & Solicitor Of The Supreme Court Of Nigeria / Two Workers Caught On CCTV Performing Rituals In Office (video) / This 24-year-old Makes Millions Playing FIFA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.