Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,284 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

An Obsolete World - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / An Obsolete World (5256 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Obsolete World by Dybala11(m): 4:29pm On Jun 09, 2020
DarkGamer:

Oh yeah I program, but mostly for fun though. Umm.. I started in my Js1 in a summer camp. I learnt HTML and it was relatively easy. I've learnt a few more since then but school work keeps holding me back. So you're interested in learning... Alright.

You could pay a tutor to teach you or learn online. The second option would be better especially during this lockdown period. So I have two apps for you to download. First one is grasshopper for JavaScript. Very easy to understand and user friendly. Second one is Sololearn, you can learn multiple languages and get a certificate when you finish. Just start with this two first.

I hope it helps you.
Thanks bro, I'll start working towards achieving this dream of mine henceforth, I'm home alone doing nothing except reading novels, playing games etc.
Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 4:29pm On Jun 09, 2020
Lakesc:
Will be anticipating the updata sir...
I've got your back smiley
Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 4:33pm On Jun 09, 2020
Dybala11:

Thanks bro, I'll start working towards achieving this dream of mine henceforth, I'm home alone doing nothing except reading novels, playing games etc.

I hope you do. When you download them and start, give me feedback so I'll know how it went for you.
Good, playing games. Which ones? I also play too.
Re: An Obsolete World by Dybala11(m): 4:40pm On Jun 09, 2020
DarkGamer:

I hope you do. When you download them and start, give me feedback so I'll know how it went for you.
FIFA 18, Assasin, Real Commando Secret Mission, Sniper 3D, Lonewolf etc. I'm managing playing these games for the time being, at least till I get a better phone. No good electricity here, so playing games on my laptop is out of it.
Can you recommend better games though and I'll like to know if you can recommend a site where I can get to download FIFA 20 too.
Re: An Obsolete World by Dybala11(m): 4:43pm On Jun 09, 2020
DarkGamer:

I'll let you know as soon as I start and probably keep you updated on my progress too.
Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 8:11pm On Jun 09, 2020
Dybala11:

FIFA 18, Assasin, Real Commando Secret Mission, Sniper 3D, Lonewolf etc. I'm managing playing these games for the time being, at least till I get a better phone. No good electricity here, so playing games on my laptop is out of it.
Can you recommend better games though and I'll like to know if you can recommend a site where I can get to download FIFA 20 too.

The games are cool. But which platform are you playing the FIFA 18 on? Your phone? So you also play Lonewolf too. I stopped at the last mission where you'd have to take out Redface's henchmen and I uninstalled it. As for electricity, honestly man, Nigeria is so frustrating in this kind of situations.

If you want me to recommend games, I can but I'm not sure which platform you're using, so I'll tell you mobile games for now.
Minecraft- On google playstore, you'd have to pay but if you use softonic.com, you can download the apk for free. About 100MB
eFootball Pes20- It's free on google playstore but it has additional files, everything is about 1.5GB
Alsphalt Nitro- Racing
Clash of Clans- It's an online game
The Battle of Polytopia- Offline strategy game but with in-app purchases.
Rocket Car League- Not amazing graphics but it is related to the PC and cosole game Rocket League. It's offline.
Player Unknown Battlegrounds- Battle royale game. You need a good phone.
Fortnite- Battle royale too.
Call of Duty
Eternium
Friday the 13th etc

I'll check for the FIFA 20 website but what platform?
Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 8:12pm On Jun 09, 2020
Dybala11:

I'll let you know as soon as I start and probably keep you updated on my progress too.
I'd like that.
Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 8:14pm On Jun 09, 2020
Dedicated to my homies.

I cocked the rifle and stepped back slowly, careful not to make any sudden movements in case I was being watched by anything; mutant or wild animal. All the sudden movement and jogging had begun to strain my ankle and it stung sharply. I guess it was just not used to the sudden over exertion of leg muscles as it had been immobile for days in the room. I shrugged off the feeling of pain and focused on the most important thing troubling me which was what was hidden in the tree.

Still pointing the rifle at the tree, I tried to analyze the situation and see what escape measures I could muster. Whenever I attacked or used my gun, I always preferred being in the confines of anywhere located above the ground. It gave me a feeling of sovereignty and I had a bird’s eye view of everything around me. I could easily create numerous plans based on my situation and methods of assault too. Now I was the prey with a healing ankle and was stuck in an uncomfortable location.

The leaves rustled slightly again and a tree branch sagged under the weight of whatever was up there. There was definitely something large up there. I just hoped it was a large monkey or an animal because I didn’t think I could deal with a mutant in this condition. I was better suited for ranged assault and not close combat.

Whatever that was hiding in the tree kept mute and just stayed there without moving and I decided to take a different approach. The suspense was irking me and I rather preferred to be attacked consciously than to be taken by surprise. Its silence could just be a strategy to draw me away.

I clenched the rifle and aimed for a branch some centimeters below where I judged the being to be and squeezed the trigger. That was a warning shot and the bullet rang out and pierced through leaves. The leaves rustled for the third time and before I could register what was happening, something jumped from the tree headed straight towards me. I was taken aback as it seemed human, probably a mutant. It seemed oddly familiar though and because I was placed on the spot like that, I couldn’t think.

It landed right in front of me and I quickly noted its appearance. It tied a piece of cloth around its face and it was human so it was probably a mutant. However, it didn’t make any sound or act like normal mutants did. I also realized that it wore a black shirt, black pants and it sported black combat boots. What struck me however the holster on its waist, attached to a belt strap. This wasn’t no mutant zombie, it was somebody I knew quite fondly.

Derek

I lowered my gun and stared at him. He figured out that I had discovered it was him and loosened the piece of cloth on his face. He started laughing out loud and pointing at me like he was watching a funny Spongebob Squarepants episode. I was so astounded that I just kept staring at him with my mouth agape.

“Oh you should have seen your face. That look was priceless!” He said in between snorts still laughing hard. “If I had a camera, I would have filmed that, especially when I jumped. You looked like you could have had a heart attack.”

I inhaled deeply and cleaned my eyes with my left hand, the other firmly gripping the gun. I couldn’t believe that Derek had played this prank. This was immature and I was going to give him a piece of my mind.

“That was very mature.” I said calmly but sarcastically. “You really had me fooled there for a second.”

“Yeah I know, I won’t ever forget this, ever.” He said drying the tears in his eyes, he looked like he had had his fill of laughing.

“I know right, that was hilarious. You probably could have taken a video and posted on Youtube or something, right? Too sad there is no digital communication, people would have loved to see that.” I continued with a voice dripping heavily with sarcasm. “It would have also been very funny if shot your stupid head off, yes that would be priceless too.”

His smile wore off quickly and was replaced with a wary facial expression. I sounded very angry and I wanted him to know that. But I just wanted to let him off with a warning, I didn’t want this to escalate. “You are bad at jokes and this was a very expensive one, you could have gotten killed. I don’t want to talk about this too much, just don’t ever try something like this again.”

Derek just nodded stiffly and looked back at me uneasily. There was a kind of tension in the air and I felt it. I guess I had spoken too much, that was probably his way of fun. He didn’t usually joke around too often because he was always busy reading or doing some intellectual work, so I guessed he just wanted us to have a good laugh. The sad look he had on his face made me think twice about my words and he was my benefactor after all. I sighed deeply, I was going to have to apologize to him.

2 Likes

Re: An Obsolete World by waywardpikin: 9:05pm On Jun 09, 2020
DarkGamer:
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to dedicate this message to everyone reading my story. It's a pleasure and this makes me very happy. Honestly, I know the novel genre Science Fiction isn't very popular in Nigeria but I still have people that are willing to stay and diligently wait for updates. I have over a 1000 views as I write this now, but though the figures are quite impressive, I don't really pay too much attention to it because I know that most of them just read and pass by. I am happier when I am aware of the readers that constantly follow and comment. Thanks to you, even the silent ones too.

I am also very happy whenever people read my and leave comments, this encourages me to write because I know that they are following. I want to appreciate everyone that does that. You keep me going and that's why I put in effort to make sure each update keeps you entertained and yearning for more. That's why I'm using this opportunity to give a shoutout to the following Nairalanders for their support on this thread.

Biokuabdullahi for your comments. You actually made me continue the story when I wanted to give up.
Fioky for being a brother and being cool.
Busybrains for following.
cassbeat for your encouragement.
ena5four for competently reading. Thumbs up.
Jaika for your review and your comments. You are the bomb.
Dybala11 for being my first follower and for following the story patiently.
Lakesc though you're new here so thanks for sticking around.
Badasss for being a new friend
Waywardpikin or Waywardpikin1 I used two usernames because I wasn't sure. You inspired me to write on this forum and you've been like a role model, giving advice and your support. Man, you're too awesome.
P.S he has a good story so check it out on his thread.

Finally I'm dedicating my next chapter to you guys. Thanks for being there.

I'll be posting updates regularly by 8pm so anticipate.

wink

You honor me mehn... it's definitely a pleasure!

8pm everyday... are you sure? grin

1 Like

Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 9:50pm On Jun 09, 2020
waywardpikin:

You honor me mehn... it's definitely a pleasure!

8pm everyday... are you sure? grin

No problem bruh. You deserve it.

8pm. Hm... I just have to try my best. Lets see how things go. Besides it seems to be working out for you smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Obsolete World by ena5four(m): 11:58pm On Jun 09, 2020
mehn guy, u've really got an amazing body of literary work up there, talking about the mechanical accuracy,organization,choice of wording, and even the theme...
ur work is one of the best i've ever come across and i must tell u,u're really doing an awesome work.
i mean the composition is very easy to imagine,
i just play and pause the imaginary scene of the play in my head,
dude pls update frequently to keep us (we) following the story glued. thank you buddy,
more ink to ur pen and more strenght to your finger.
its ena5four

4 Likes

Re: An Obsolete World by Dybala11(m): 12:09am On Jun 10, 2020
DarkGamer:

The games are cool. But which platform are you playing the FIFA 18 on? Your phone? So you also play Lonewolf too. I stopped at the last mission where you'd have to take out Redface's henchmen and I uninstalled it. As for electricity, honestly man, Nigeria is so frustrating in this kind of situations.

If you want me to recommend games, I can but I'm not sure which platform you're using, so I'll tell you mobile games for now.
Minecraft- On google playstore, you'd have to pay but if you use softonic.com, you can download the apk for free. About 100MB
eFootball Pes20- It's free on google playstore but it has additional files, everything is about 1.5GB
Alsphalt Nitro- Racing
Clash of Clans- It's an online game
The Battle of Polytopia- Offline strategy game but with in-app purchases.
Rocket Car League- Not amazing graphics but it is related to the PC and cosole game Rocket League. It's offline.
Player Unknown Battlegrounds- Battle royale game. You need a good phone.
Fortnite- Battle royale too.
Call of Duty
Eternium
Friday the 13th etc

I'll check for the FIFA 20 website but what platform?

I'm currently using my phone to play games, I often use my laptop to watch movies though.
Re: An Obsolete World by Badasss(m): 12:42am On Jun 10, 2020
DarkGamer:
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to dedicate this message to everyone reading my story. It's a pleasure and this makes me very happy. Honestly, I know the novel genre Science Fiction isn't very popular in Nigeria but I still have people that are willing to stay and diligently wait for updates. I have over a 1000 views as I write this now, but though the figures are quite impressive, I don't really pay too much attention to it because I know that most of them just read and pass by. I am happier when I am aware of the readers that constantly follow and comment. Thanks to you, even the silent ones too.

I am also very happy whenever people read my and leave comments, this encourages me to write because I know that they are following. I want to appreciate everyone that does that. You keep me going and that's why I put in effort to make sure each update keeps you entertained and yearning for more. That's why I'm using this opportunity to give a shoutout to the following Nairalanders for their support on this thread.

Biokuabdullahi for your comments. You actually made me continue the story when I wanted to give up.
Fioky for being a brother and being cool.
Busybrains for following.
cassbeat for your encouragement.
ena5four for competently reading. Thumbs up.
Jaika for your review and your comments. You are the bomb.
Dybala11 for being my first follower and for following the story patiently.
Lakesc though you're new here so thanks for sticking around.
Badasss for being a new friend
Waywardpikin or Waywardpikin1 I used two usernames because I wasn't sure. You inspired me to write on this forum and you've been like a role model, giving advice and your support. Man, you're too awesome.
P.S he has a good story so check it out on his thread.

Finally I'm dedicating my next chapter to you guys. Thanks for being there.

I'll be posting updates regularly by 8pm so anticipate.

wink
Yo I'm dead ass following this story
Have not caught with your writing tho
Sci-fi is great although it may seem kind of boring to some but it really Has a way of bringing my imagination to work.
Trying to imagine the whole story in my head
Your writing is so dope
Keep it up bro
Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 11:53am On Jun 10, 2020
ena5four:
mehn guy, u've really got an amazing body of literary work up there, talking about the mechanical accuracy,organization,choice of wording, and even the theme...
ur work is one of the best i've ever come across and i must tell u,u're really doing an awesome work.
i mean the composition is very easy to imagine,
i just play and pause the imaginary scene of the play in my head,
dude pls update frequently to keep us (we) following the story glued. thank you buddy,
more ink to ur pen and more strenght to your finger.
its ena5four

Thanks for the compliments. I honestly don't know what to say, I feel so elated right now.
I try my best to make this genre easier to understand and from your comment I can see that I'm managing alright.
I don't believe I'm that good but I'm working hard to get there.
I feel so privileged that I have made one of the best works you've read. I'll not let you down and try to be regular with the updates.
Thanks again.
Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 11:55am On Jun 10, 2020
Badasss:

Yo I'm dead ass following this story
Have not caught with your writing tho
Sci-fi is great although it may seem kind of boring to some but it really Has a way of bringing my imagination to work.
Trying to imagine the whole story in my head
Your writing is so dope
Keep it up bro

Amazing bro, keep riding, I've got your back.
I'm glad that Sci-fi is working out for you.
Thanks for the commentary, I'll not let you down.
Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 11:57am On Jun 10, 2020
Dybala11:

I'm currently using my phone to play games, I often use my laptop to watch movies though.
I'm not sure about FIFA 20 on mobile though. Besides you mentioned that you wanted to get a better phone so it probably wouldn't have worked. I'd recommend FIFA mobile but it's an online game though.
Have you installed any of the games I recommended?
Re: An Obsolete World by Dybala11(m): 3:25pm On Jun 10, 2020
DarkGamer:

I'm not sure about FIFA 20 on mobile though. Besides you mentioned that you wanted to get a better phone so it probably wouldn't have worked. I'd recommend FIFA mobile but it's an online game though.
Have you installed any of the games I recommended?
Not yet, but hopefully when I get my android phone charged bro.
Re: An Obsolete World by ena5four(m): 4:33pm On Jun 10, 2020
DarkGamer:

Thanks for the compliments. I honestly don't know what to say, I feel so elated right now.
I try my best to make this genre easier to understand and from your comment I can see that I'm managing alright.
I don't believe I'm that good but I'm working hard to get there.
I feel so privileged that I have made one of the best works you've read. I'll not let you down and try to be regular with the updates.
Thanks again.
You're good man!
Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 8:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
I took a deep breath and held my face with my left hand, stepping forward nervously as I sighed. Certain emotional actions such as apologies did not sit too well with me, and I’d have to muster enough willpower to tell Derek I was sorry. He started walking away slowly with his head facing the ground and I felt kind of bad. Not that it was my fault or anything, I just scolded him rightly.

“Derek wait!” I said loudly enough for him to hear and he stopped without turning back to look at me. “You don’t have to act like this. I shouldn’t have talked to you like that, it was totally uncalled for”

He still faced forward with his head down and I knew that what I said didn’t completely make up for the situation. I had to apologize the right way, directly and sincerely.

“Look, I’m sorry about what just happened right now but it’s not entirely my fault. You shouldn’t have joked around like that, anything could have happened.” I ran my hand through my hair and continued. “I promise that I wouldn’t shout at you like that again, of course unless you really deserve it.”

After saying that, I waited for a few seconds and Derek turned back with his signature grin on his face. I caught myself smiling back at him and he approached me.

“Nice speech. Don’t worry, I won’t mess around with you like that, alright?” He said and looked at me straight to my eyes. “I’ll mess around like this…” Saying that, he lightly punched my shoulder, still grinning sheepishly. I loosened up and punched him back and we started laughing.

“Come on, let’s find something to do. I’ve been bored for the past two weeks.” I shouted as I ran forward and realized that I still didn’t know which direction to go. I looked at Derek and he ran to catch up to me.

“I guess you’re stranded. I just wonder what you’d do without my help, seriously.” He said jokingly when he stopped running and stood beside me.

“Let’s take the left road and see where that leads to.” I didn’t know whether to believe him or not, he sounded serious but I felt he was joking. I just hoped he knew where we were going.

“I hope you know which direction we’re heading Derek, no pranks.”

“I’ve been in this town for over two months roaming around, obviously I know where we’re going.”

Derek walked up to the junction and took a bend heading to the left. He turned back and gestured for me to follow him and I shook my heads while smiling and I ran. We walked through a neighborhood with blocks of houses sandwiching us on either side. They all looked dead and derelict, I wondered how the people lived here before everything fell apart. A monkey sat on the roof of a bungalow and scraped around, possibly looking for insects. The town’s quietness made me feel eerie and I warily looked around.

“I knew you’d eventually leave the room, you’re a fighter and I like that.” Derek said quietly as we trudged on, his countenance had changed and he looked serious now. “I’m not saying that was a good idea though, how’s the ankle?”

“It’s alright, I almost don’t feel the pain now and it looks good.” I replied as I looked at my leg as if I could see my ankle. My boots covered the ankles and I found myself staring at the straps of the shoe. “Where are we actually heading to?”

“You said you wanted a stroll so you have one and besides you rebelled and left the bunker, where did you expect to go to whe you left?”

“I don’t know, I guess.” I shrugged, still looking around. We had passed the monkey by now and I was wondered why the animals didn’t make noises. I just sufficed that maybe they probably adapted to the environment and kept mute to increase their chances of survival.

“Let’s check out that convenience store that I found you at, I always wanted to have a look but I haven’t had the time.” He said looking at me for approval, I nodded and we kept walking. The sun was high up in the sky and its rays fully illuminated the surroundings. It was hot now and I regretted wearing the sweatshirt.

While I walked on, I kept observing the environment of the town. The plants looked sickly and had stunted growth. Most of the green ones had already turned yellow and weeds grew everywhere competing for nutrients and sunlight. I wondered how the herbivores survived, as the cycle of life had been affected badly. The absence of humans led to the increase in the population of animals since they weren’t easily affected by the virus. The overpopulated animals had to feed and the plant life suffered because of lack of care. Weeds grew without bounds and competed with other natural plants and the generally they became wilted and flaccid. The herbivores became affected by the reduction in their food supply and the omnivores and carnivores were also affected due to shortages in the amount of herbivores. It was a fight-to-survive situation and all living beings were affected one way or another.

We walked for almost an hour and then I began to faintly recognize where we were. It looked like the surroundings of the convenience store and we were close to the entrance of the town. The forest lay ahead and I stared ahead, hoping to find my tree. I could see the convenience store and it looked the same way it did when I first saw it; dull, drab and lifeless.

We stopped in front of the store and looked at each other knowingly. I was feeling nervous because of what happened when I first got here. I moved slowly, my eyes darting around and searching for something. It was the body of the mutant Derek shot, we left it in front of the building where the action took place. Or maybe Derek moved it.

“Umm, Derek, I was just wondering if you knew where the body of that mutant you shot was.” I asked uneasily him uneasily. He just looked around and scratched his head, like he was in the process of remembering something.

“Oh yeah, I dumped it into a dumpster behind the store when I came back to get your stuff.” I felt somewhat relieved and my heart rate slowly tried to return to normal. “Why’d you ask? You wanted to see it?”

“Yes actually, I don’t know why I just have this urge but I want to see it.” I responded as I walked forward looking for a way to get to the back of the store. Derek followed behind me, waiting to see what I would do. I turned around the side of the building and entered an alley. The alley was between the store and an apartment beside the store. I walked forward and approached the back of the store where all the trash was taken out. The ground was littered with garbage and filthy junk and I covered my nose with the back of my hand.

I spotted the dumpster and I cautiously approached it. Derek was by my side and he confirmed that this was the dumpster. He probably dumped the body to maintain good sanitary practice and avoid risk of contamination. I threw my rifle over my head and hung it across my back, ready to open the dumpster. I used my gloved hands to lift the lid off the dumpster and a musty smell greeted me. I looked down and stopped. Derek noticed and asked what was wrong. I didn’t waste any time to reply.

“It’s empty.”

1 Like

Re: An Obsolete World by ena5four(m): 8:56am On Jun 11, 2020
Ghen Ghen... Dis 1 Nah Gobe O, Mutant Don Run Away?
Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 9:19am On Jun 11, 2020
ena5four:
Ghen Ghen... Dis 1 Nah Gobe O, Mutant Don Run Away?

Lmao grin grin grin grin Let's find out.
Re: An Obsolete World by DarkGamer: 10:21am On Jun 13, 2020
I am very sorry guys. I haven't been able to post for the past two days. I wanted to but I was blocked by an anti-spam bot.

1 Like

Re: An Obsolete World by ena5four(m): 11:38am On Jun 13, 2020
DarkGamer:
I am very sorry guys. I haven't been able to post for the past two days. I wanted to but I was blocked by an anti-spam bot.
No P bro, We Still Dey Follow
Re: An Obsolete World by Lakesc: 4:58pm On Jun 13, 2020
No wahala boss
Re: An Obsolete World by TAYO124: 6:55am On Jun 14, 2020
Talent is not equal to mastery and proficiency in the use of the language of writing. Flattery will not produce a master writer.
Re: An Obsolete World by Lyydia(f): 9:12am On Jun 14, 2020
You are doing well
Re: An Obsolete World by TheDarkGamer: 1:04pm On Jun 15, 2020
Sorry for being inactive. I'm not abandoning the story, it's just this Nairaland anti-spam bot. I don't understand it, it has blocked me for almost a week and I can't make any posts. So I had to create a new account.
Re: An Obsolete World by TheDarkGamer: 1:07pm On Jun 15, 2020
Also, I have decided to post at random times and keep things flexible. I announced that I would post by 8 but readers don't tune in at that time so I've decided to keep a flexible timetable. Thank You.
Re: An Obsolete World by TheDarkGamer: 1:08pm On Jun 15, 2020
TAYO124:
Talent is not equal to mastery and proficiency in the use of the language of writing. Flattery will not produce a master writer.

angry I think you have a point there but I'm not really getting it. Can you shed more light on that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Experience With A Plagiarist / The Reasons Why You Are Beautiful (a Poem) By Blessing Ukamaka / RUNNER By The_freelancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.